TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

House "Gut Check" - 4/10/12

Let's start the "how long into the episode did you get before you knew that House was pulling a fast one on Wilson with the kid?" thread.

I had a suspicion the minute the kid appeared in the diner, but I was convinced when he asked for prosciutto and goat cheese on his pizza. (I'm also glad they remembered to explain away the phone call to "the mother.")

"Co-starring Saachiko as Popo"
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

It took you THAT long??????? Were you sleeping before that?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Idearat

I didn't think it was a setup until the kid showed up at the diner. The ex-girlfriend who House found on Facebook that was still mad enough to go along with messing with Wilson got past me. As we never saw the mom I was only getting more suspicious.

I'm surprised Wilson didn't have a clue. Once the kid showed up it all should have smelled like a setup.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
It took you THAT long??????? Were you sleeping before that?
At first, I thought Wilson had really called (who he thought was) the boy's mother (as opposed to, say, House giving her another woman's phone number), so I assumed that he really did have a son (just not necessarily that boy); also, didn't Wilson say something like, "If he's not my son, then he's my father's son"?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
At first, I thought Wilson had really called (who he thought was) the boy's mother (as opposed to, say, House giving her another woman's phone number), so I assumed that he really did have a son (just not necessarily that boy); also, didn't Wilson say something like, "If he's not my son, then he's my father's son"?
Wilson really did call the woman he thought he did (his ex), but House had already called her and persuaded her to play along.

The boy was a child actor who House obviously picked from a bunch of headshots because he looked like Wilson.

I knew it was House playing games as soon as Wilson told House that he really did have an 11 year old son.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Church AV Guy

As usual, no one cares about the medical case, just about the soap-opera interaction. So why did Chase offer to let Park move in with him? Just so he could spend time with her grand ma? Why does everyone care so much about the motivation BEHIND the motivation, layers upon layers? I'm really glad that it's ending. I probably would not watch it next year if it had been renewed.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #7
Worf

The medical case has never been the primary focus of House - it just provides a framework to anchor the drama that is going on. Nothing more.

After all, you can't have a drama between doctors who never do any medicine, so that's what the case provides. It's why the format for the cases haven't changed much since the beginning. Other than that, it's a typical human interaction show.

Heck, most other dramatic reality shows do this after the first season or so - Pawn Stars (it's not about the pawn shop), Deadliest Catch (it's not about the crab), etc. After all, how interesting can people doing deals or catching crab be after you seen it once?
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
johnspalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
The medical case has never been the primary focus of House
It was in the earlier seasons.

The show morphed from being a medical case with a little drama mixed in to a drama with a little medical case mixed in. And, unfortunately, it got to the point where the drama was just plain silly and over the top. Hence, the demise of the show.
johnspalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

The case was always incidental to the drama, a vehicle for the plot.

I really enjoyed the ending.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
zalusky

The other thing that wears after a while is there is no evolution to the characters. After all these stories they are all basically the same people from the beginning. When it leaves the patients and becomes a character drama and the characters don't change you can only go so far.

When they did change it up people complained and said they want the old house back.
We really have little insight into House. Three stories probably gave us the most insight but they have backed far away from that. Is he a nice guy that cares but fights to show it? Is he a psychopathic prankster? I think all of that eventually wears out if you don't evolve.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
As usual, no one cares about the medical case, just about the soap-opera interaction.
That's probably because just about every medical case on House is the same; someone (usually teased as someone else in the opening) has something nobody can diagnose; they think it's something, but then, "No, it's not that"; they decide on something that requires a life-changing procedure (e.g. radiation to remove the patient's immune system; cut off a patient's arms when they think it's flesh-eating bacteria); some random event causes the light bulb moment (Taub even used the term "light bulb" in this episode), and House makes the save just as they're about to start the procedure.

Just about the only thing to look for is to see if the "patient of the week" has been on TV before (Allison Smith (Jenny on Kate & Allie; she was also Annie at one point in its original Broadway run) was a patient once).

The "soap opera interaction" seems to be the only thing that makes the show different from one week to the next. They've even tried various pairings ("Chameron", then "Foreteen", then "Huddy, MDs") to see if they would stick, but if anything, the end of the 2009-10 season when House and Cuddy finally got together was when the show jumped the shark.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
johnspalm

Quote:
....the end of the 2009-10 season when House and Cuddy finally got together was when the show jumped the shark.
+1
johnspalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
zalusky

You know on Roseanne the last season was effectively made up and explained.
And as mentioned Saint Elsewhere and others did different variations.

I am wondering if the finale goes somewhere like this. House could still be in Jail or perhaps he is autistic, or the whole thing is a drug induced hallucination. There is something about the whole series that does not sit right in the more realistic world but might in a fairy tale world.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

I am wondering if the finale goes somewhere like this. House could still be in Jail or perhaps he is autistic, or the whole thing is a drug induced hallucination. There is something about the whole series that does not sit right in the more realistic world but might in a fairy tale world.
Unlikely. They already did the whole "this all is a Vicodin-triggered hallucination." If they were to pull a "dream within a dream" that would be really, really incredibly lame.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
The other thing that wears after a while is there is no evolution to the characters. After all these stories they are all basically the same people from the beginning. When it leaves the patients and becomes a character drama and the characters don't change you can only go so far.

When they did change it up people complained and said they want the old house back.
We really have little insight into House. Three stories probably gave us the most insight but they have backed far away from that. Is he a nice guy that cares but fights to show it? Is he a psychopathic prankster? I think all of that eventually wears out if you don't evolve.
I enjoy that. I'd be disappointed if House married Cuddy, had a child, stopped being a prick, and became Ward Cleaver.

People seldom change, and I'm glad there's a show where they depict human beings stuck in their destructive patterns.

I do think we ought to know about his true motivations to retain viewer interest.

My blog:
Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
alpacaboy

Quote:

How about he falls in love with a patient... and that, kids, is how he met your mother...
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #17
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacaboy View Post
How about he falls in love with a patient... and that, kids, is how he met your mother...

Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #18
eddyj

The medical mystery has always been secondary to the character interaction. Although it was nice this week that it was Taub and hot House that had the light bulb moment.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #19
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
They already did the whole "this all is a Vicodin-triggered hallucination." If they were to pull a "dream within a dream" that would be really, really incredibly lame.
Anything other than "this is reality" has been done to death. In addition to Roseanne and St. Elsewhere, there's Newhart, Life on Mars, and Lost.

They "should" have House die in the finale (it also gives them an excuse to bring back Amber and Kumar Kutner); the main reason I don't think they would do that is, they want to keep a door open just in case they change their mind and decide that one more season (especially a short one where they throw lots of money at Hugh Laurie to come back) wouldn't be so bad after all.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
...I'd be disappointed if House married Cuddy, had a child, stopped being a prick, and became Ward Cleaver...
That possibility sort of faded away when he drove thru her living room wall.

Quote:
Anything other than "this is reality" has been done to death. In addition to Roseanne and St. Elsewhere, there's Newhart, Life on Mars, and Lost...
Lost ended with the mainstream story being shown legit.

I've got to ask a question here, tho'-

I never saw the final season of Roseanne. Can someone tell me what they did that put it into the same catagory as St. Elsewhere?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
That possibility sort of faded away when he drove thru her living room wall.

Lost ended with the mainstream story being shown legit.

I've got to ask a question here, tho'-

I never saw the final season of Roseanne. Can someone tell me what they did that put it into the same catagory as St. Elsewhere?
Spoiler:
The final season was her version of how the Roseanne character wished things would have turned out instead of the reality.

For example her sister was the gay one, her husband did of the heart attack in the previous season, plus other stuff I do not remember.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #22
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacaboy View Post
I LOL'd

My blog:
Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #23
DanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Quote:
Spoiler:
The final season was her version of how the Roseanne character wished things would have turned out instead of the reality.

For example her sister was the gay one, her husband did of the heart attack in the previous season, plus other stuff I do not remember.

Spoiler:
The couples were actually Becky and David and Darlene and Mark instead of the other way

DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #24
Jonathan_S

Quote:
They "should" have House die in the finale (it also gives them an excuse to bring back Amber and Kumar Kutner)
I though Amber died. Wasn't she the one dating Wilson, who then died in the bus crash?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I though Amber died. Wasn't she the one dating Wilson, who then died in the bus crash?
That's the point. Amber AND Kutner both died!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #26
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
That's the point. Amber AND Kutner both died!

I forgot Kutner died. oops.