TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
trener1

Direct TV question

I have a question regarding Direct TV and Tivo.
I have a series 2 Tivo and was eyeing getting a premier, but decided to switch from Cable to Direct TV so that option is off the table.
If I understand correctly the Direct TV tivo is very limited in functionality, i.e it won't let you stream netflix, pandora etc.. and also it seems that you need the direct TV DVR to be able to use any of the on demand features.
I was just wondering if anyone has any input on what might be the best direction to take here.
trener1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
dinglehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
I have a question regarding Direct TV and Tivo.
I have a series 2 Tivo and was eyeing getting a premier, but decided to switch from Cable to Direct TV so that option is off the table.
If I understand correctly the Direct TV tivo is very limited in functionality, i.e it won't let you stream netflix, pandora etc.. and also it seems that you need the direct TV DVR to be able to use any of the on demand features.
I was just wondering if anyone has any input on what might be the best direction to take here.
I have just come the other way from you (I was with DirecTV now I'm on cable with TiVo). My only recommendation is that, if you have to go with DirecTV, then you will have to go with their DVR. You are correct, the DirecTiVo is crippled compared to a Premiere, and it costs more. You have to pay DTV for having a DVR and there is a TiVo service charge as well.
Sony 55" LED TV
KEF KHT 2005 Speaker System
XBOX 360
dinglehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Some of the On Demand features are available with the DirecTV THR22, but some are not. No DirecTV DVR can stream Netflix, but Pandora is available.

I would not say that it costs more. If you have only one DVR that is the THR22, you pay $12.99/mo for the DVR+TiVo service. Additional boxes are only $5.99/mo. TiVo charges more per month.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
ncted
A leaf on the wind

I am with DirecTV right now. The HR24s I have are way better than D*'s early DVR efforts, but they are still not as easy to use or reliable as my DirecTivos were. If you want to watch Netflix, get an AppleTV or Roku. Unless you want whole home DVR with DirecTV, get the Tivo. It is worth any extra money. FWIW: I am planning to ditch DirecTV in favor of locals from TWC and a couple of TivoHD units when I move later this year. The programming costs have just gotten ridiculous. I'd rather watch cable shows on DVD/Blu-Ray in the mail from Netflix than pay the ever increasing fees.

-Ted
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
trener1

Thanks for the replies.
I had nothing ageins cable but they dumped one of my favorite channels so I had to go to Direct TV.

ncted, can you elaborate, (not that I disagree) why is the Tivo worth the extra money?.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
ncted, can you elaborate, (not that I disagree) why is the Tivo worth the extra money?.
I'm not that person, and I admit I haven't used other ("premium") DVRs.. But:

1) they work how you'd expect
and while people do have problems once in a while (including me),
2) they actually record the things you tell them to record, at least far far far more often than other DVRs.. (yes, I'm being slightly wishy washy, since there are glitches rarely, but FAR FAR FAR more rarely than I see people mention about cable supplied boxes for example)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
trener1

I am aware of those things, I have had a tivo for about 7 years at least, the problem is that the only way to get some of the on demend and other direct TV features is with their own DVR, and the Direct TV Tivo is a very basic stripped down version of Tivo.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
trener1

So does the Direct TV DVR just not record when you tell it to?. I guess it's to bad that the Premiere won't work with Direct TV, because that is what I really wanted.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, the DirecTV DVR records what you tell it to. I've never had a missed recording, where I have with TiVo (HR10).
Old 04-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

dtv is reliable at recording, only a few hiccups over the past 5 years due to late guide updates, especially when last minute changes happen during holidays.

dtv's new hd gui software update (not new tivo thr22 or dtv hr24) is so slow, i left after 5 years. they would only exchange my two owned units with leased along with a 2 year agreement. no thanks, and no thanks again. see 'ya later.

dtv on demand is a download to your dvr over your network's internet connection, and the servers don't stream video at all. pandora and sd youtube videos do ok. as long as isp caps are not an issue, and you don't mind waiting a couple of hours more to start an on demand movie, you'll be fine.

the hbo on demand content is controlled by hbo. they are pushing hbogo.com, and are limiting on demand titles.

dtv has a price increase every year, in february, with the one exception being new customer's first year. get ready for it. premiums and fees have been going through the roof.

I get comcast tomorrow, along with a few new hd base channels dtv still doesn't carry, and local alts that won't need an ota antenna. i'll let you know how it works out. i'm really looking forward to tivo, my first one.
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Comcast also raises rates every year - sometimes twice a year. I still find DirecTV more cost-effective.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Comcast also raises rates every year - sometimes twice a year. I still find DirecTV more cost-effective.
i'm sure they do, but without comcast monthly equipment fees, more non-sports hd than dtv, and real on demand on the way, i think it's a less expensive and better programming option for my home.

and i still don't appreciate that "free" software upgrade from dtv that locked up my 3 & 5 year old hd dvrs that were working just fine.

plus, we have tornados around here, and it would be nice to see the local weather during the storm. i've had both services for 5 years each, and local channel reliability during storms is infinitely better with comcast. every situation is different.

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 04-19-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
I had nothing ageins cable but they dumped one of my favorite channels so I had to go to Direct TV.

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been travelling.

Disclaimer: I have not had extensive exposure to the THR22. This is based on my experiences with HR24s and other TIvos.

I find the 50 series (season pass) limit on the HR2x series to be a pain.

The new HD UI is extremely slow at times and is not nearly as responsive as the Tivo interface, plus it often takes many button presses to get to commonly-used information, like the to-do list or series manager. This is probably my biggest complaint.

The guide only shows 1.5 hours of data. Tivo's Live Guide shows multiple hours.

The remote control is counter-intuitive, with the most commonly used (trick-play) buttons at the top, which is awkward as it is more natural and balanced to hold the remote in the center. All of the buttons in a particular function group are similarly shaped and textured, which makes it difficult in a dark room.

I would gladly pay another $5 per box to have the Tivo interface instead. I hope this helps.

-Ted
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
frankygamer

If your interested in > 2 tuners you should know the HR34 is going through growing pains right now. While the Tivo Elite is pretty solid.

I'm thinking going back to cable only. The THR22 is a huge disappointment and DireTV's custumer service, cancelation fees, and automatic contract renewels are more then my liking. Check out their facebook page. It's pretty ugly. Yes they have tons of customers but some of their practices are pretty bad. Read the contract!
frankygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
DireTV's custumer service, cancelation fees, and automatic contract renewels are more then my liking
as disappointed as i am with dtv, let me clear up a few things for you...

1 - their customer service better than comcast's, but that doesn't say much. wish u-verse would hurry up and get here, there's is the best.

2 - even tivo has cancellation fees, if you don't get lifetime. if you get the new customer offer discounts, and you leave early, you get a cancellation fee.

3 - there's no such thing as an automatic contract renewal. dtv will auto renew a sports subscription pkg, unless you request otherwise. then, even if you forget and get it anyway, you have 30 days to cancel any auto renewal, as soon as the notice hits your bill (they give you a notice before billing starts).

if you got a replacement for your leased equipment, they used to add an agreement, but a lawsuit fixed that.

another lawsuit that addressed dtv's lack luster disclosure habits when adding those pesky auto renewals and contract extensions.

bottom line, no service provider is perfect.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 04-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel
OTA is even more cost-effective.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
...wish u-verse would hurry up and get here, there's is the best.
Does anyone besides me find this statement ironic in the TCF?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Does anyone besides me find this statement ironic in the TCF?
Yep. No one I know loves AT&T customer service for any product they offer.

I actually can't complain about Dish, DirecTV, or TWC customer service. They've all been pretty good to be over the years.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
Yep. No one I know loves AT&T customer service for any product they offer.

I actually can't complain about Dish, DirecTV, or TWC customer service. They've all been pretty good to be over the years.
That too, but I was referring to the preference for U-verse in a TiVo forum.

I am referring to U-verse TV. I have U-verse internet.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #20
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
OTA is even more cost-effective.
Only if you're in an area where you can get all the channels you want by OTA. I can't even get the four major networks that way, and I have an amplified digital antenna on my roof. It's easy to suggest OTA when you're just a few miles from all the transmitters, but the reality for many is that cable/satellite is the only viable option.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
magnus
Tivo User

Ok, just pointing out that it saves the most and you don't have to deal with a bill or price increases.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That too, but I was referring to the preference for U-verse in a TiVo forum.
The reason? I was referring to customer service. Verizon Fios and AT&T U-verse customer service has pounded all cable and satellite providers in the JD Powers surveys for about 5 years now...

And, quite honestly, if U-verse was available, I wouldn't be messing with TiVo at all. This has been a nightmare, and I still don't have all of my channels. Comcast has sent two techs, replaced the Mcard, no luck...only a few standard def channels, and no upper tier or premium channels. This service SUCKS!

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #23
lpwcomp

Quote:
The reason? I was referring to customer service. Verizon Fios and AT&T U-verse customer service has pounded all cable and satellite providers in the JD Powers surveys for about 5 years now...

And, quite honestly, if U-verse was available, I wouldn't be messing with TiVo at all. This has been a nightmare, and I still don't have all of my channels. Comcast has sent two techs, replaced the Mcard, no luck...only a few standard def channels, and no upper tier or premium channels. This service SUCKS!
Consider this though - all of your problems are related to using TiVo, so one reason that things might be smoother is that you don't even have that option with U-verse. The only thing their techs and CSRs need to know about TiVo and CableCARD is "You can't use it with our system" (of course, I'm not sure most of them know even that). I'm sure things would be smoother with Comcast if you were using their DVR.

Verizon Fios OTOH... If they were available, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #24
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus
Ok, just pointing out that it saves the most and you don't have to deal with a bill or price increases.
With that logic, you could sell your TV and save even more!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #25
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:

Actually, DirecTV seems to score about the same as Fios. U-verse is surprisingly good from what is reported here.

http://www.fiercecable.com/pages/det...atisfaction-su

From what I have seen of U-verse, I wouldn't have guessed, especially with the PQ and billing problems my friends in my area have. Makes me wonder if I should just stick with DirecTV and get THR-22s.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #26
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Of course, DirecTV claims #1 in another survey:

http://news.directv.com/2011/05/16/d...faction-index/

Obviously, they do not consider Fios to be a major cable service:

http://www.theacsi.org/index.php?opt...vision+Service
Old 04-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #27
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel

With that logic, you could sell your TV and save even more!
Um sure. Maybe you should just move closer to the towers as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #28
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
No - I should sell my house and camp out in the park - I'd save even more!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #29
magnus
Tivo User

Maybe you can panhandle and make money while you are at it.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #30
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
Of course, DirecTV claims #1 in another survey
Yes, some american customer satisfaction index, in which dish creamed dtv last year.

The JD Power results from the link posted are only for the most recent survey. The 4 years prior look really bad for dtv, and U-verse didn't fair as well as Fios. Verizon really took a hit last year.

update: comcrap finally got my service activated properly so all of the channels are viewable, a cold boot stopped the constant tivo premiere xl rebooting, and i'm now a happy tivo user...

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 05-20-2012 at 02:42 AM.