TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
morac
Cat God

Question Four digit channels?

I've never received any 4 digit channels before so I just want to check. My Comcast bill said that I should be getting new channels on April 25 in the 1000 to 1999 range.

I'm assuming my Series 3 and Premiere will be able to handle this, correct?
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes they can handle 4 digit channels just fine.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
morac
Cat God

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I've never received any 4 digit channels before so I just want to check. My Comcast bill said that I should be getting new channels on April 25 in the 1000 to 1999 range.
If this is what I think it is, it is a standardization of channel ranges for different kinds of content, and assigning the HD version of an SD channel as the SD channel plus an fixed offset. Since the channel numbers have nothing to do with the frequency which carries the channel, there is no problem for the channel assignments to be sparse.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
GoEagles

I have Comcast as well and a lot of the channels from 1000 - 2000 are so are just duplicates of other HD stations below 1000. They will be HD channels you will probably never use or real niche content, i.e, Channel 1315 is another HD channel for Jewelry TV and Channel 1863 is RetroPlex HD whatever the hell that is.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH
If this is what I think it is, it is a standardization of channel ranges for different kinds of content, and assigning the HD version of an SD channel as the SD channel plus an fixed offset. Since the channel numbers have nothing to do with the frequency which carries the channel, there is no problem for the channel assignments to be sparse.
I don't think it's the reorganization as only the 10 or so new channels are being added above 1000.

My area recently went 100% digital so they are adding some of the "niche" channels in HD. Channels like BBC America HD, Oxygen HD, C-SPAN HD and Fox Soccer Channel HD, among others. Personally I've been waiting for BBC America HD for over a year and am finally getting it. I'm also getting The Hub HD which I want. With this update, all the channels I watch will finally be in HD.