TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Fox Renews New Girl, Raising Hope & Glee

New Girl renewal makes me happy happy happy!!!
http://www.hitfix.com/articles/fox-r...d-raising-hope
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 38,718
Raising Hope!!!!!!!

One of the best shows
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Raising Hope!!!!!!!

One of the best shows


I don't watch the other two shows (wife watches Glee), but considering RH was supposed to be iffy to get renewed, I'm happy. Love the show.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
BradJW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,932
Burn in HEL.....


Nevermind.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
That Don Guy
Now with more GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Raising Hope!!!!!!!
My question is, do they keep Hope aging "normally", or do they skip a year or two?

(Also, I'm pretty sure this guarantees a fourth season of the show - if Fox was willing to give 'Til Death a fourth season at bargain basement rates (so it could be syndicated), I don't see Fox pulling the plug on any other sitcom after three.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
gossamer88
HDTV Snob
 
gossamer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Da boogie down Bronx
Posts: 6,847
Glee?!!
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,633
Yeah for New Girl.. But now, actually air it in the timeslot it was intended, with no overlap..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #8
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 7,014
I enjoy New Girl and Raising Hope very much. Raising Hope really has some amazing episodes. I always find myself missing Earl when I watch it though. Burn in hell NBC!!!
__________________
A passing grade? Like a C? Why don't I just get pregnant at a bus station!
aadam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88
Glee?!!
Pretty sure Glee was renewed for two years last year so this is not news.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 13,300
Good for The New Girl.

I may be done with Glee after I finish this season. It lost it's heart and made most of the characters unlikable.
__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
Maui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Good for The New Girl.

I may be done with Glee after I finish this season. It lost it's heart and made most of the characters unlikable.
Yeah I just deleted 6 episodes on my DVR, realizing as I attempted to start watching one of them, that I no longer like this show or any of the characters on it so why bother catching up.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
cmontyburns
Excellent.
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 10,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Yeah I just deleted 6 episodes on my DVR, realizing as I attempted to start watching one of them, that I no longer like this show or any of the characters on it so why bother catching up.
I've got something like the last 8 saved on there and may do the same thing. I stopped watching early this season for the same reasons you and other people have -- silly plots, inconsistent characterization, general unlikability. It's a shame. That first season had some real problems -- fake pregnancy, anyone? - but at the center was an actual good show that made it easy-ish to tolerate stuff like that. Now there's just nothing there. (Or at least there wasn't eight episodes ago, when I stopped watching. )
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
sieglinde
Registered User
 
sieglinde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 5,370
I have been keeping up with Glee. It is OK. I suspect the next season may be the last, unless some really good characters step up.
__________________
Science over Superstition
sieglinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
That Don Guy
Now with more GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Pretty sure Glee was renewed for two years last year so this is not news.
Yes, it is - well, not really, as Glee is the most profitable scripted live-action primetime show on TV today (plus the fact that the producer has already said that they have plans for Rachel now that there's not going to be a NYADA spinoff series, and I think they have already asked the actors to start committing to next season; the last I heard, Dianna Agron (Quinn) is still a "maybe"), but the only two-year renewal was at the end of the first season.

Okay, a number of "Gleeks" have said that they'll stop watching the show when the first set of seniors graduate, but how many people who said they'd stop listening to The Beatles when Pete Best was replaced by Ringo Starr (or would stop watching Cheers when Shelley Long left) actually followed through on that?
Besides - they have started putting "Lima University" mentions in episodes, so I expect quite a few of the seniors to end up going there (unless Harry Shum Jr. wants to spend more time with the Legion of Extraordinary Dancers, I expect Lima U to have "one of the top dance departments in the country" so Mike will end up going there, and if Dianna does return, expect Quinn's medical bills (and some jab at insurance companies disguised as a reason they won't pay) to use up her Yale college fund so she has to attend a cheaper, closer school).
In fact, if the show makes it to a fifth season, I wouldn't be surprised if McKinley High burns down (probably "a cheerleading stunt gone horribly, horribly wrong") and Will, Emma, and Sue end up at Lima U as well.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
My question is, do they keep Hope aging "normally", or do they skip a year or two?

(Also, I'm pretty sure this guarantees a fourth season of the show - if Fox was willing to give 'Til Death a fourth season at bargain basement rates (so it could be syndicated), I don't see Fox pulling the plug on any other sitcom after three.)
The multiple, mysterious renewals of 'Til Death had little to do with FOX and everything to do with Sony wanting to get the show into syndication so they gave FOX a smoking deal. Since FOX didn't really have anything else in the live action comedy department at the time, and didn't have anything else to air on Friday nights, they went along with it. Who doesn't like (nearly) free content?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Good for The New Girl.

I may be done with Glee after I finish this season. It lost it's heart and made most of the characters unlikable.
I stopped watching Glee after the first couple episodes of this season. At the time, I just got behind and intended to catch up later, but realized I had no desire to catch up and I haven't missed it.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
That Don Guy
Now with more GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The multiple, mysterious renewals of 'Til Death had little to do with FOX and everything to do with Sony wanting to get the show into syndication so they gave FOX a smoking deal. Since FOX didn't really have anything else in the live action comedy department at the time, and didn't have anything else to air on Friday nights, they went along with it. Who doesn't like (nearly) free content?
That was my point concerning Raising Hope - what makes you think whatever company produces it won't give an equally "smoking deal" to Fox for a fourth season if that's what it takes? (I wouldn't be surprised if whoever makes Community doesn't do the same with NBC to lock in a fourth season.)

As for "Fox didn't have anything else to air on Friday nights," the last season of 'Til Death only aired 3 episodes on Fridays before being moved to Sundays (and there were some episodes that aired only in the west because of it). Fox is doing a similar burnoff with I Hate My Teenage Daughter this June.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
That was my point concerning Raising Hope - what makes you think whatever company produces it won't give an equally "smoking deal" to Fox for a fourth season if that's what it takes? (I wouldn't be surprised if whoever makes Community doesn't do the same with NBC to lock in a fourth season.)
Your original post said:
Quote:
...if Fox was willing to give 'Til Death a fourth season at bargain basement rates (so it could be syndicated), I don't see Fox pulling the plug on any other sitcom after three.
I was simply pointing out that it wasn't really a FOX decision, it was a studio decision that FOX simply benefited from.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
trainman
Nice to see you
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA, USA
Posts: 9,359
The title of this thread can be read to say that the amount of hope and glee in the country is being raised by Fox renewing "New Girl."
__________________
trainman is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
The title of this thread can be read to say that the amount of hope and glee in the country is being raised by Fox renewing "New Girl."
I can go along with that
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #20
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
The title of this thread can be read to say that the amount of hope and glee in the country is being raised by Fox renewing "New Girl."
My hope and glee were raised when I heard the news.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #21
Donbadabon
Geocacher
 
Donbadabon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,737
Is it just me, or has New Girl lost it's way? It just doesn't seem funny to me anymore. It used to be one of my favorite shows too.
Part of it is the inclusion of Damon Wayans Jr in the cast. Not sure why they had to add his character to the mix, but I often find myself just skipping over his scenes.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,633
I still like it, and as I said elsewhere, I think it's *cool* that they brought his character back (from the pilot), after the actor was pulled back to the (sadly departed) "Happy Endings".
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #23
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I still like it, and as I said elsewhere, I think it's *cool* that they brought his character back (from the pilot), after the actor was pulled back to the (sadly departed) "Happy Endings".
Did they ever offer an explanation as to why he came back? Other than his other show being cancelled, of course.
__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #24
Zevida
witless and unarmed
 
Zevida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 13,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
Did they ever offer an explanation as to why he came back? Other than his other show being cancelled, of course.
He broke up with his girlfriend.

I agree New Girl is less interesting and I think a big part is

Spoiler:
The Jess and Nick relationship


Which is really boring and uninteresting and handicaps the madcap escapades they could be having.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #25
sushikitten
Exhausted mama
 
sushikitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC-ish Suburbia
Posts: 26,170
It's not as good...but it's still good.
__________________
Did YOU sit in the chair of truth?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #26
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,573
[quote=Zevida;9979394]He broke up with his girlfriend.

Wow, that's pretty flimsy. It's like they didn't really put a lot of thought into that plot line.

I thought they were married on Happy Endings. I guess I wasn't really paying attention.
__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #27
cmontyburns
Excellent.
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 10,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I thought they were married on Happy Endings. I guess I wasn't really paying attention.
He's not playing the same character.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 AM   #28
cmontyburns
Excellent.
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 10,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Which is really boring and uninteresting and handicaps the madcap escapades they could be having.
I don't think I'd go so far as to call it those things, but I agree that the show took a turn with this plotline. For stretches of season 2, it was surely the funniest comedy on TV. Now it seldom hits those highs (although it's still enjoyable).
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #29
markp99
TakoKichi
 
markp99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 8,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Is it just me, or has New Girl lost it's way? It just doesn't seem funny to me anymore. It used to be one of my favorite shows too.
Part of it is the inclusion of Damon Wayans Jr in the cast. Not sure why they had to add his character to the mix, but I often find myself just skipping over his scenes.
Yes, I had this exact thought. Was a favorite; just not loving it very much any more.

Winston's character is really good, but is further minimized with Wayans' addition. He's disrupted the chemistry, as has the Jess and Nick relationship.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #30
whitson77
Director Level
 
whitson77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Yes, I had this exact thought. Was a favorite; just not loving it very much any more.

Winston's character is really good, but is further minimized with Wayans' addition. He's disrupted the chemistry, as has the Jess and Nick relationship.
Pretty much all of this. Plus it has gotten really mean spirited where it used to have heart. And tone down the sex stuff. It has gotten kind of creepy...

But at least Brooklyn nine nine is doing it right! Hopefully, it gets a renewal.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |