TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
David Knowles

Jerky playback during transfer

I have a TiVO Premier XL which has been working OK since I got it.

I just got a new Windows 7 PC.

After converting a video on the PC, TiVO desktop is set to automatically transfer it to the TiVO.

With my old XP system, this worked well.

With the new Win 7 system, whenever a program is transferring, I notice a very slight jerkiness while watching a Tivo-recorded program. Everything works fine and the jerkiness is very slight, but is noticeable.

Any suggestions?
David Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knowles View Post
I have a TiVO Premier XL which has been working OK since I got it.

I just got a new Windows 7 PC.

After converting a video on the PC, TiVO desktop is set to automatically transfer it to the TiVO.

With my old XP system, this worked well.

With the new Win 7 system, whenever a program is transferring, I notice a very slight jerkiness while watching a Tivo-recorded program. Everything works fine and the jerkiness is very slight, but is noticeable.

Any suggestions?
Could you throttle the bandwidth a bit in your computer or your router? It would at least be an interesting test.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
David Knowles

How would I test this?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Charles R

I noticed the same after I upgraded my switch... which performs much better (faster) than the previous one. Cure wise throttling somewhere would appear to be the only solution. On some switches/routers you can restrict bandwidth per port.
Charles R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
David Knowles

I have a Dlink DIR-632 wireless router. The Tivo is connected to the wired network.

Would this be in the router settings page?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
wackymann

I have the same issue with pyTivo on my Premiere Elite. Hopefully this will be fixed at some point.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

This has nothing to do with "MS-Windows".
This has nothing to do with The "Elite".
This has nothing to do with "TiVo Desktop"

When you have a good network setup that can feed a Premiere at full speed, in 20.2, people have noticed that playback can be a bit jittery during a high-speed network transfer.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481338 # 3.2.7

It is likely your newer computer is finally able to keep up with pushing a full 100-base speed and that is why you are now encountering the issue that was already there.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
David Knowles

I searched for how to change the speed the network card worked, and I changed the speed to 10MBs Full Duplex and the issue seemed to have gone away.

Will this make much difference in other network work?

One Premier problem solved, one more to go...

This is what I did:

Vista like 7 you should see icon for network near the clock in the system tray? Do you see such an icon. If yes!

Then right click then open network and sharing center
Once you do that you should see to your right Change Adapter Settings. Do you see this link? If you do click on it and then right click on your network adapter. Click on properties Click on Configure, click on Advance, scroll down to Speed & Duplex this name may vary with different nics. Now change the speed from Auto to 1000 it might be 1.0GBps same. Also if you see TCP Offload make sure those are set to Enable.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I searched for how to change the speed the network card worked, and I changed the speed to 10MBs Full Duplex and the issue seemed to have gone away.
It went away because you slowed the network down by 10 fold

Quote:
Oh yes. Your network transfers will be anywhere from 500 to 800% slower. It won't make much difference, otherwise, however.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
L David Matheny

Quote:

One Premier problem solved, one more to go...

This is what I did:

Vista like 7 you should see icon for network near the clock in the system tray? Do you see such an icon. If yes!

Then right click then open network and sharing center
Once you do that you should see to your right Change Adapter Settings. Do you see this link? If you do click on it and then right click on your network adapter. Click on properties Click on Configure, click on Advance, scroll down to Speed & Duplex this name may vary with different nics. Now change the speed from Auto to 1000 it might be 1.0GBps same. Also if you see TCP Offload make sure those are set to Enable.
Well, that is an interesting data point. You probably now know more about this problem than I do, but I will make a few comments: Going to 10Mb speeds is a drastic cure. Some routers (probably more expensive models) and some third-party firmware for certain routers can do more selective throttling. And some ways of connecting your TiVo would provide inherent throttling (IOW, a bottleneck). I connect my main computer using (older) Panasonic powerline adapters that max out at about 30Mb, and wireless-G maxes out at 54Mb (or less, allowing for overhead). A well-chosen bottleneck might slow your TiVo down just enough without crippling the rest of your network. Some routers also have Quality of Service settings that might be helpful, but I've never used any of those. Actually, I doubt that those would help in this case. I guess the preferred cure would be for TiVo to include some judicious throttling within their software.

Last edited by L David Matheny : 04-08-2012 at 11:04 PM.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

This is where I originally reported it: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=8974053