TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
Scarpad

So Are Protected Channels a No-GO?

I have 2 Premieres with Comcast Cablecard's in them. I was trying to archive some episodes of Rawhide of Encore's Western Channel, but the content is protected. Is there any software which can get arount this? I've tried Itivo and KTTG on my mac, and no Go. I'm amazed what channels are protected and which are not, channels I would think would be are'nt and visa versa.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

In my Comcast franchise, I cannot transfer Encore content. Most "premium" channels from Comcast are not able to be transferred. Best you can do is stream between your units. If you search, you'll find many threads on this. Some are here, some are in the Premiere forum.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
mreaves53

Only solution

I also have Comcast and most all of the premium channels are protected. The only way around this is to play the shows to either a VCR, DVD recorder, or to a video capture device on you computer. Even sometimes, my HDD/DVDR will not record the shows because of the electronic flag set on the file. I have been successful more times than not on transferring shows this way.
WD Live TV Media Player
Phillips HDD DVD recorder
LG NAS
Slingbox Pro HD
Toshiba Thrive
mreaves53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

For years all of my channels were clear, but recently Charter started protecting all the premium channels too.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I have 2 Premieres with Comcast Cablecard's in them. I was trying to archive some episodes of Rawhide of Encore's Western Channel, but the content is protected. Is there any software which can get arount this?
Not without a hardware mod, first. After the hardware mod, a software mod can be done that allows other utilities to transfer the content, or a different mod will allow the native (TTG) protocols to work. It all starts with a PROM mod, though.

If you have a Premier or an Elite, you're screwed. If you have an S3 or a THD, a PROM mod is not terribly difficult.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreaves53 View Post
I also have Comcast and most all of the premium channels are protected. The only way around this is to play the shows to either a VCR, DVD recorder, or to a video capture device on you computer. Even sometimes, my HDD/DVDR will not record the shows because of the electronic flag set on the file. I have been successful more times than not on transferring shows this way.
No, it is not the only way around it.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Leona74

[IMG]http://www.***************/avatar2.jpg[/IMG]I also have Comcast and most all of the premium channels are protected.
Leona74 is offline   Reply With Quote