TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #31
tabathadolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Where are you seeing "each initial one being $1.50". That's only supposed to apply when a second card is required in the same device, like a Series 3.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...ablecards/#cc9
The pricing list I'm referencing was sent with my last bill via snail mail. The pricing list on the bill I downloaded from my account online is completely different.

I do see that my bill has gone back down again, this time by $9.84. I have no idea what the credit was for though. I've only had the Tivo for 2 billing cycles, so my credit should only be for $5 (2.50/month). I could log in later today and the credit could gone again - who knows.
tabathadolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #32
tabathadolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budshark View Post
What Comcast is moving towards is an HD Outlet fee.

I can flip my chargest to the free side of the equation, IF I turn off HD. As long as HD is enabled on the cablecard, they are going to charge an HD outlet fee which is the $9.50. If you don't have HD, go fight them and you'll win. If you have HD... well good luck. I'm guessing that was the problem with the OP... they went to back the fee out, but the minute they tried to back it out they hit the HD barrier.

GBL's example above shows Standard Def... I'm willing to bet HD service is not turned on (except Locals since those fall under the retransmission...)
As long as they give me credit for the customer owned equipment, I can handle the $9.25/month fee. I'm not pleased, but I am happy having HD.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #33
GBL
covert opiniative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budshark View Post
What Comcast is moving towards is an HD Outlet fee.

I can flip my chargest to the free side of the equation, IF I turn off HD. As long as HD is enabled on the cablecard, they are going to charge an HD outlet fee which is the $9.50. If you don't have HD, go fight them and you'll win. If you have HD... well good luck. I'm guessing that was the problem with the OP... they went to back the fee out, but the minute they tried to back it out they hit the HD barrier.

GBL's example above shows Standard Def... I'm willing to bet HD service is not turned on (except Locals since those fall under the retransmission...)
You lose. In my area, HD fee only applies to Comcast HD equipment, AFAIK.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #34
GoEagles

I have two CableCards and I hope this keeps up, but not being charged for either one. One is in a TiVoHD and another in a Premiere.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #35
tabathadolley

Are you using comcast, and do you receive HD?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #36
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabathadolley View Post
Are you using comcast, and do you receive HD?
Yes, and all HD channels. I had to call to make sure, but they told me they were free, which really surprised me because when I had my first TiVoHD back in Sept 2008 I was charged $1.50.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #37
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Comcast billing is all over the map, Cablecards included. It's a legacy of their acquisition history and that they've been too cheap to unify it.

The problem is that the FCC *told* all the MSOs to charge for cards uniformly, and Comcast clearly does not while everyone else does. Whether the FCC cares or not is a different story.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #38
tabathadolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Comcast billing is all over the map, Cablecards included. It's a legacy of their acquisition history and that they've been too cheap to unify it.

The problem is that the FCC *told* all the MSOs to charge for cards uniformly, and Comcast clearly does not while everyone else does. Whether the FCC cares or not is a different story.
I guess we'll find out.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #39
Grakthis

I don't know how you guys put up with this. If I had a cable provider that did this crap, I'd have dropped them years ago. You guys are models of patience.
Grakthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #40
tabathadolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
I don't know how you guys put up with this. If I had a cable provider that did this crap, I'd have dropped them years ago. You guys are models of patience.
I wish I could drop them, but they are our only option. I'm not ready to go without cable at this point, so all I can do is fight them or let them screw me over.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #41
HazelW

It's all in the terminology. Comcast does not have a charge for a digital set top box. They have a charge for an additional digital outlet. That charge includes the set top box rental. If you use a TiVo instead, you get a $2.50 credit for using your own box. In either case you are charged $9-10 for the outlet.

Do you expect that if you use a Tivo you should get the $2.50 credit against no charge for the outlet?
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #42
tabathadolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
It's all in the terminology. Comcast does not have a charge for a digital set top box. They have a charge for an additional digital outlet. That charge includes the set top box rental. If you use a TiVo instead, you get a $2.50 credit for using your own box. In either case you are charged $9-10 for the outlet.

Do you expect that if you use a Tivo you should get the $2.50 credit against no charge for the outlet?
No. And I indicated in my previous posts that they either not charge me for the Add'l Outlet and just for the cablecard, OR, charge me the 9.25 for the outlet and provide me with the 2.50 credit. Currently I am getting a charge for the Add'l outlet at 9.25, and no credit at all.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #43
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Every Cablecard in their system is supposed to get the credit, whether it's the primary outlet or not, so once again they are screwed up.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #44
metalman7251

FCC complaints

I filed a complaint with the FCC . They turned my complaint over to Comcast corporate. It does no good to complain. Comcast found a way to avoid rule 76.1205(b)(5)(c). Even though it states they may not charge you a fee to use you own set top box. They charge you a digital access fee. Funny you get 2 free digital adopters with no access fee. Once you hook up your TiVo you get charged the fee. They claim that their attorney's say it is legal.
metalman7251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #45
tabathadolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman7251 View Post
I filed a complaint with the FCC . They turned my complaint over to Comcast corporate. It does no good to complain. Comcast found a way to avoid rule 76.1205(b)(5)(c). Even though it states they may not charge you a fee to use you own set top box. They charge you a digital access fee. Funny you get 2 free digital adopters with no access fee. Once you hook up your TiVo you get charged the fee. They claim that their attorney's say it is legal.
That just, to me, means enough people need to complain. I just want the credit.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #46
tabathadolley

As of this evening, I am missing all of the cable channels on the Tivo. The screen is just black. This has been a nightmare of a process.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #47
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabathadolley View Post
As of this evening, I am missing all of the cable channels on the Tivo. The screen is just black. This has been a nightmare of a process.

If you're on Twitter, you should contact them there

@comcastcares
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #48
tabathadolley

I called Comcast this morning after trying to get on their chat for two days unsuccessfully, and the rep confirmed that they had cancelled my cablecard altogether. Is it really this difficult to add the 2.50 credit on my account!?

We are moving in November, and I am going to make sure we are able to get another provider or satellite at that point. This has just confirmed how I feel about Comcast.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #49
tivohaydon

Customer service for these types of operations consists of frustrating the customer into no longer seeking a resolution. It pays off big time.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #50
tabathadolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
Customer service for these types of operations consists of frustrating the customer into no longer seeking a resolution. It pays off big time.
I agree that it works for most - in my case they're just going to lose my business.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #51
tabathadolley

So... I received a call from the local Comcast office who referenced my BBB complaint as her reason for calling. She said that I was correct that I shouldn't be charged for the cablecard, and that they had a billing code wrong as the reason for my cable channels disappearing. She gave me her direct line to call her if the billing is still incorrect.

I relayed to her the whole reason that I had made the complaint; the awful chat I had with the one representative. She said she'd look into it. I'll believe all of it when I see it.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #52
morac
Cat God

I never use chat with Comcast since the people who answer chat are morons. Phone people are a step up, depending on whether you end up getting someone local or in another country. Local people are usually fairly knowledgeable, foreign support not so much. The highest are the executive support team since they basically have near limitless power (Twitter and we_can_help@comcast.com). It's amazing how fast things get fixed when they get involved. Local techs suddenly bend over backwards for you.

Executive support also has the power to do pretty much anything to your bill (within reason). For example, I had a problem last month with my Internet connection (signal problem) and one of the phone morons tried to add a modem billing code on top of the existing billing code which effectively locked my modem and then couldn't fix it. An executive support person managed to fix it but she told me it took "all her skills" to do so. She gave me the new customer ($89) double play package (including HBO and Starz) for a year to make up for it.

I think what you end up getting billed also highly depends on how long you've had cable cards and/or service. I've pretty much never been billed an additional outlet fee for any of my cards. An automated audit tried to add an outlet fee last year, but I got them to take it off when I told them the fee was for Comcast equipment (I only have one HD box which the HD Technology fee covers). I was billed for the cards until recently (now free) and now I'm actually getting a credit per card. The more cards I have the more credit I get. That's probably wrong, but I'm not complaining.

Here's my last months bill (prior to getting put on the new double play package) since I don't have the new bill details yet:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg xfinity.jpg (72.0 KB, 311 views)
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #53
tabathadolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I never use chat with Comcast since the people who answer chat are morons. Phone people are a step up, depending on whether you end up getting someone local or in another country. Local people are usually fairly knowledgeable, foreign support not so much. The highest are the executive support team since they basically have near limitless power (Twitter and we_can_help@comcast.com). It's amazing how fast things get fixed when they get involved. Local techs suddenly bend over backwards for you.

Executive support also has the power to do pretty much anything to your bill (within reason). For example, I had a problem last month with my Internet connection (signal problem) and one of the phone morons tried to add a modem billing code on top of the existing billing code which effectively locked my modem and then couldn't fix it. An executive support person managed to fix it but she told me it took "all her skills" to do so. She gave me the new customer ($89) double play package (including HBO and Starz) for a year to make up for it.

I think what you end up getting billed also highly depends on how long you've had cable cards and/or service. I've pretty much never been billed an additional outlet fee for any of my cards. An automated audit tried to add an outlet fee last year, but I got them to take it off when I told them the fee was for Comcast equipment (I only have one HD box which the HD Technology fee covers). I was billed for the cards until recently (now free) and now I'm actually getting a credit per card. The more cards I have the more credit I get. That's probably wrong, but I'm not complaining.

Here's my last months bill (prior to getting put on the new double play package) since I don't have the new bill details yet:

Thanks for the info! It seems you do have to go up to exec level to get anything done besides the normal denials. I am afraid I'm going to get home and have no HD, or no cable channels. I'll settle for no HD if it means the cablecard becomes free!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #54
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabathadolley

Thanks for the info! It seems you do have to go up to exec level to get anything done besides the normal denials. I am afraid I'm going to get home and have no HD, or no cable channels. I'll settle for no HD if it means the cablecard becomes free!
Just a note, I've never been charged an outlet fee so all my dealing with executive support have been for service problems. They may or may not be able to help you with billing based on your area. I have the benefit of being in Comcast HQ's "backyard" which may or may not have something to do with it. That and I've had Comcast basically forever. The biggest plus may be the FIOS is available in my local Comcast coverage area. I can't get it at my location, but I'm not sure Comcast knows that.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #55
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

LOL, and the Comcast outlet fee merry-go-round continues. You don't get the fee with 4 cards, tons of others do. And they wonder why we're filing FCC complaints, but this is exactly what the FCC should be looking at wrt cards.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #56
swerver

Why is the customer owned equipment credit only $2.50 when they don't even offer any box for that price? Isn't it supposed to be offsetting a real box included with the package, not an imaginary one?

I got rid of my extra non-dvr hd box I had in my bedroom because I didn't want to basically pay twice for it. Once for the box, and again for the jacked up cable card price. Cable card is $1.10, but jumps way up if I have another box. Don't use it enough to justify that, have a roku up there anyway.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #57
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Why is the customer owned equipment credit only $2.50
That's an easy one to answer. It's because they charge whatever they think they can get away with. Go ahead, complain to the FCC. See if either Comcast or the FCC care. Hint: They don't.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #58
tomm1079

I use to have the 1.50 for every other card. Then they did the "system upgrade" and it all went to hell. I fought it for a while and finally gave up.

Basically i now have this:
3 Tivos
3 Cable Cards
2 Digital Access fees @ 8.95 each
1st cable card is free....which is why i pay for 2
3 credits @ 2.50 each

So basically im paying 2 dollars more then i use to
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #59
lpwcomp

Each Comcast operating unit is different. Here in the ATL area, I have their SD box hooked to an S2. That is included in the package (Digital Starter). I also have a THD and a Premiere. No charge for the CableCARDS (per their official rate sheet which says $0 for first CableCARD in a device. 2* $9.95/mo "Additional Digital Outlet" fees and 2 $2.50/mo "Customer Owned Equipment Credit". No HD technology fee.

I'm considering ordering one of those $49 Premiere refurbs and moving the S2 back to the living room and connecting it to the DTA. Depends on whether they get the signal strength problem fixed on Thursday. They told me two weeks ago that it was an internal problem but I found the cable junction box for the condo building and it is a mess. Cover was partially off, exposed cable ands, rusted connectors and leftover parts.

* after much complaining on my part, they agreed to waive one of the outlet fees for a year. I still get both credits.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #60
aindik

I'd gotten away without paying Additional Outlet fees for the last four years after I got into (and won) an argument with a CSR. That gravy train is over as of a couple of days ago when I called Comcast to add voice to my account and they discovered I wasn't paying for AOs.

Their policy is that there is an A/O fee of $9.25. You get a $2.50 credit per outlet for any outlet (primary or additional) that uses your own equipment instead of theirs. So, I have three TiVoHDs with CableCARDs, and no Comcast boxes. I'm paying AO fees of $6.75 X 2.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote