TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
poee

Question My Old DirecTivo died... newbie questions

My DTivo Hughes SD-DVR40 that I've had since 2004 has finally given up the ghost. Hey, it gave me a great 8 years of service with heavy use. It is my only DVR and sat receiver, upgraded with a second 160GB HDD through Weaknees in 2005. I'd love to get some of those programs off one or both HDDs at some point... but that is another issue...)

Anyway, I called DirecTV tech support this morning and went through their checklist to insure them that it was, indeed, non-operational. They asked me if I wanted a replacement DirecTV DVR (didn't say what model), or -- if I was planning on upgrading to HDTV in the near future -- they recommended a DirecTV HD DVR (again, no mention of model, I assume the latest? No questions about what I wanted, other than SD vs HD, so I guess they only offer two models/capacities?)

They told me that since I've been with them for several years, they would set me up with a new installed oval dish and HD DVR at no charge, and will even waive the $10/mo HD programming fee for a year, or until I get an HDTV and I call them to activate it. (I had put it off for so long since I was happy with my setup and tight on budget, but I was definitely planning an HDTV purchase this year anyway.) So they scheduled a time for the installer to come over and set everything up. Though they will not be able to get to me for 10 days.

Now reading the front page of this site I see that DirecTV is selling TiVo-branded DVR receivers again? This was never mentioned to me as an option by DTV support. Should I call them back and tell them I want the new DTiVo? Should I buy an actual TiVo and just get a simple receiver from DirecTV? (That would be more expensive upfront and per month, right? But has advantages over DTV DVRs?) What are the different models of DVR that DTV offers today? What capacity (hours of SD/hours of HD?) Coming from TiVo, will I be at home with DTV's HD DVR interface and features? (Are there equivalents to Season Passes and WishLists? Are their any useful features or functionality the DirecTV DVRs have over TiVo, or over the new DirecTiVos?) Do the DTV DVRs need to be connected to the Internet? Or do they use a telephone line like my old unit? (I ask because I live out in the sticks with no broadband access.)

Just want to know what my real options are since I didn't get the feeling that DTV customer support knew about all the relevant information, based on their inability to answer so many of my questions.

Thank you kindly for reading all this, and for any advice you experienced people have for this relative newbie!
poee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

(click on picture)
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
poee

Thanks ThAbtO!

I wonder why DirecTV never gave me the option of the DTivo. They only spoke of DirecTV DVRs that I could choose between (SD or HD) and didn't know which model number would be shipped to me when I asked. Now I'm worried.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
paracelsus

I upgraded my setup two weeks ago from the old SD Phillips DirecTivo (2003?) to the new HD DirecTivo. I specifically asked for the DirecTivo when I ordered - since I've been coaxing my old Tivo through several years of waiting for the new promised box, I wasn't going to settle for less - customer service didn't even try to sell me their box. Apparently I was the first person my installer had met to go with the DirecTivo box, so he didn't know the set-up, but once I had that peanut in my hand all was good . The DirecTivo was listed on my receipt when I ordered and I had no issues with wrong boxes showing up as reported earlier.

If you want the DirecTivo, call CS and ask for it to be put on your order.
paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
joed32

Quote:
Originally Posted by poee View Post
Thanks ThAbtO!

I wonder why DirecTV never gave me the option of the DTivo. They only spoke of DirecTV DVRs that I could choose between (SD or HD) and didn't know which model number would be shipped to me when I asked. Now I'm worried.
They never know which model you will get but if an installer is bringing it they usually have the HR24s on the truck. Also I wouldn't think that most CSRs know about the Directivo so if you want that one you will have to ask for it specifically.
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
MacQ2

Keep in mind the THR22 is an HD DVR so will have the associated costs with HD service.

A good intro of this model is here:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=199680

And here:
http://www.weaknees.com/hd-tivo-directv-thr22.php
MacQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
poee

Called DTV customer service today to ask about the THR22 instead of their default HD DVR and sure enough, the rep didn't know about it. I was transferred up the line to someone who was more up-to-date, and was told that I could get the replacement DTV DVR at no cost, but I would have to pay $200 for the DTivo unit. I was right about to say "go for it" and pay for the Tivo, when she told me about the additional $20/mo fee for an "advanced system" in addition to the DVR fee and the HD fee. Normally the $20/mo advanced fee is for their "whole home" system were you have several receivers and can pause in one room and pick it up later in a different room, etc. The THR22 cannot do this, but it still requires the advanced system fee.

That would be $35/mo in fees (for a single receiver) before the cost of any DTV programming, plus the initial $200. OTOH, if I go with their brand HD DVR: no cost upfront, 1yr deferred HD programming fee, and $8/mo DVR fee. So it's $8/mo ($18/mo after a year) vs $35/mo, the only difference being the Tivo UI. As much as I dislike leaving something familiar for learning a new system, I have to be more responsible with my budget. I ♥ Tivo! But I cannot afford it at this time. Perhaps in a year or two I can add a real Tivo to my system again.

Thanks for all your advice!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Try ordering online at the site above, it would show all the fees after you logged in for current subscribers, or new, before you finalize the order.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
Leona74

[IMG]http://www.***************/avatar2.jpg[/IMG]I upgraded my setup two weeks ago from the old SD Phillips DirecTivo (2003?)
Leona74 is offline   Reply With Quote