Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
SnakeEyes

Clear and Delete Everything

How long should this take on a TiVo HD?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
MeInDallas

What size hard drive does it have in it?
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
SnakeEyes

Original drive. That's like 160GB, right?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
MeInDallas

Yeah if you never swapped it out. It shouldnt take very long then, maybe 30 minutes to an hour. Last time I did it, I cleared out all the season passes and everything out of the deleted folder first and it didnt take very long. If it's a 1TB or 2TB it can take a long long time. How long has it been going for?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
SnakeEyes

I didn't clear everything out first, went right to clear and delete everything in settings. It's been approx an hour and 20 min.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
MeInDallas

I bet it will be done soon. I wouldnt worry about it just yet.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
How long should this take on a TiVo HD?
Less than an hour. I just did a CD&E of a 320GB drive in an old S2 and it took about an hour.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Leona74

[IMG]http://www.***************/avatar2.jpg[/IMG]What size hard drive does it have in it?
Leona74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona74 View Post
What size hard drive does it have in it?
I know it gets confusing and overwhelming when threads go on and on for 7 responses, but if you look at post number 3, you'll see the answer.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Teledatageek

Looking for help and advice... I foolishly selected this option as I wanted to default my XL and sell it since I upgraded to Premier. The XL has lifetime. Nothing was on the screen so after 90 minutes or so I pulled the plug. When I power up with nothing attached to it, gets stuck on the wait a few minutes more screen. Tivo asks why I selected that option and that I shouldn't have unless tech support advised to do it (why is it there then?!). So it appears that I am faced with a $250 hard drive replacement, only to turn around and hopefully to net $300 if I sell it.

Maybe I should just offer as is and someone get fix it and then they get the lifetime.

Thoughts/ideas? Makes me rethinking putting lifetime on my two new Premiers - Even at $400 it's @30 month payback. I know if I resell it's all good but if the unit breaks - well not so good.
Teledatageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
MeInDallas

Did you try to reboot it, then use the kickstart 57 code? Then try the kickstart 54 code to test the hard drive? If you were not having a problem with the hard drive before I doubt its went out and needs to be replaced. Worst case scenario you might just have to re-image the hard drive.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php
Old 04-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Interrupting a clear and delete can't be good. How long have you left it plugged in after the oops? Maybe it takes some time for the Tivo to realize it's in the middle of a C&D?
If you have to re-image and have access to a Windows PC, use WinMFS and an image from this thread (if you can't find it, ask) to restore to the hard drive.
I think that would be the easiest way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
lpwcomp

You might also try kickstart 52 or 56.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Teledatageek

Thanks for the replies. I had not tried a kickstart code - I must have missed that in my searching. Surprised the Weakknees didn't suggest it when I asked about my issue. I tried 57 and 54 last night - seemed to run, the hard drive test yielded no issues but still doesn't work.

Question - is there a backup copy on Tivo Harddrives? e.g. - should I try 52 or 56 first. One would conceivable be local and the other has to be downloaded from the internet.

Seems like the Tivo software needs to be reloaded to work again....
Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Teledatageek

OK, I tried 52 and 56 to no avail - sounds like I need to replace the hard drive. Crazy question - could I just buy a used XL off of eBay and move the hard drive over to my unit which has lifetime? I don't really understand how lifetime is tagged to a particular Tivo but this method would obviously be a lot cheaper than buying a new hard drive. Obviously this presumes that the hard drive is really the issue.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teledatageek View Post
OK, I tried 52 and 56 to no avail - sounds like I need to replace the hard drive. Crazy question - could I just buy a used XL off of eBay and move the hard drive over to my unit which has lifetime? I don't really understand how lifetime is tagged to a particular Tivo but this method would obviously be a lot cheaper than buying a new hard drive. Obviously this presumes that the hard drive is really the issue.
Lifetime is tied to the TSN, which is in a chip on the MB, so using a drive out of another HD XL would work. In addition, it would give you a source for spare parts.

Having said that, you might consider taking the drive out, connecting it to your computer, and running diagnostics on it. You should also visually inspect the power supply capacitors, to see if they look swollen.

You might just need to use your computer to reload the s/w. Seeing as how you were planning to sell it anyway, this would be the best option.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teledatageek View Post
I doubt if clearing everything killed the drive itself, the most you may have to do is put a new image on the drive. I bet if you install a new image it will work just fine. And it's free to try.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #18
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You might just need to use your computer to reload the s/w. Seeing as how you were planning to sell it anyway, this would be the best option.
Whoops! Didn't notice you suggested a fresh OS load.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
Teledatageek

Thank you for the additional input. I converted over to Mac so I'm not sure I have the means to do a fresh OS load - looks a little daunting (even to this technical guy). Sounds like finding a reasonably priced used one (w/o Lifetime) might be the way to go.