I miss the ocean

Thanks. Works on my Samsung 8.9 tablet.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #32
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Anybody know if this runs on those less than $100, 7 inch tablets that are on sites like OnSale.com? Alternatively, does the app require a particular version (or higher) of Android?
http://blog.tivo.com/2012/01/tivo-ap...roid-its-here/
"The current app version generally supports Android devices running OS 2.1 and above".

So the answer is yes, it probably will run on the pseudo/junk tablets as well. The pseudo/junk tablets usually don't have access to Play Store (Android Market), so you will have to side-load the .apk file (which is one reason people post it to this thread; the other reason being it doesn't show up in Play Store for all devices, even those it works fine on.... particularly tablets).

(Just keep in mind the pseudo/junk tablets really are just that- they are usually poorly built, slow, lack both memory and storage, have resistive touch screens, have poor resolution and constrast screens, lack GPS, lack gyroscopes, and run Android versions that are not 3.0 or better. They generally give a horrible to very sub-optimal tablet experience, but can be OK for certain uses.)
Old 03-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #33
logicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Kewl!

Really irritating that you can't just download a damn, free apk, isn't it?
That's probably more TiVo's fault. From the Android Developer's Guide:

How does it work?

You manage your app’s availability through a simple three-step process:
  1. You state the features your app requires by declaring <uses-feature> elements its manifest file.
  2. Devices are required to declare the features they include to Google Play.
  3. Google Play uses your app’s stated requirements to filter it from devices that don’t meet those requirements.

This way, users never even see apps that won’t work properly on their devices. As long as you accurately describe your app’s requirements, you don’t need to worry about users blaming you for compatibility problems.

Last edited by logicman : 03-23-2012 at 05:06 PM.
logicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #34
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
http://blog.tivo.com/2012/01/tivo-ap...roid-its-here/
"The current app version generally supports Android devices running OS 2.1 and above".

So the answer is yes, it probably will run on the pseudo/junk tablets as well. The pseudo/junk tablets usually don't have access to Play Store (Android Market), so you will have to side-load the .apk file (which is one reason people post it to this thread; the other reason being it doesn't show up in Play Store for all devices, even those it works fine on.... particularly tablets).

(Just keep in mind the pseudo/junk tablets really are just that- they are usually poorly built, slow, lack both memory and storage, have resistive touch screens, have poor resolution and constrast screens, lack GPS, lack gyroscopes, and run Android versions that are not 3.0 or better. They generally give a horrible to very sub-optimal tablet experience, but can be OK for certain uses.)
Thanks for the mini-tutorial. I don't have a smart phone or a tablet and my Netbook is Windows. Just scoping out possible reasons to convince myself to get some sort of tablet. The cheap ones I've seen say they are partnered with "GetJar" for apps. Sounds like Java (jar) to me but I don't know for sure.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #35
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Updated my post with newest version I have.
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #36
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Updated my post with newest version I have.
Please note, his updated version, 1.5.1.35(8)a is what was uploaded by rcobourn on 3/22/2012. Just in case someone thinks there is a newer version since then...there isn't.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #37
aaronwt
HD Addict

I got the app to work with my Kindle Fire by unchecking the Multicasting option in my router. But it still won't work with my HTC Rezound.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #38
JACKASTOR

hmmmm help!!! need tivo tablet apk

Was wondering if anyone had the tivo tablet apk as I am in canada google will not allow me to download it.

Thanks

Jack

FOUND A VERSION

Hey just found this version seems to run fine on the google nexus

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz19rdlsrt...roid-16680.apk

IS THIS LATEST VERSION?

Last edited by JACKASTOR : 07-18-2012 at 03:15 PM.
JACKASTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #39
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKASTOR View Post

There is no such thing as just "Google Nexus". All Nexuses are Google. So which device do you mean?

Current tablet version is 1.6.66800
Old 07-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #40
JACKASTOR

Quote:
There is no such thing as just "Google Nexus". All Nexuses are Google. So which device do you mean?

Current tablet version is 1.6.66800
Its the nexus 7 tablet
Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #41
JACKASTOR

Latest Tivo For Tablet Apk

hey can anyone post the latestest apk for android that supports stream for us in Canada?

Thanks

Jack
Old 09-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #42
moyekj

Quote:
hey can anyone post the latestest apk for android that supports stream for us in Canada?

Thanks

Jack
Don't think the Android update to support Stream has been released yet. My guess is will probably be a month or two before that happens. I'll be interested in getting the apk of that release too if/when it happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #43
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
There are two Android app APK's, you didn't specify (not that I can supply, since my devices are not rooted).

And neither of them supports the Stream.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #44
JACKASTOR

Quote:
There are two Android app APK's, you didn't specify (not that I can supply, since my devices are not rooted).

sorry its for the ablet version and i cant download it as google play forbids me to do so. tivo just released it sept 11
regards

jack
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #45
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
sorry its for the ablet version and i cant download it as google play forbids me to do so.
Eeeew- do you actually find yourself using the tablet version, like, for real? I find it to be more frustration than function....

Anyway, it is not Google Play that forbids you, it is TiVo- Google is just following TiVo's requirements. And it sucks. I have no idea why it would or should be region or even device specific.

Quote:
tivo just released it sept 11
TiVo released updates on BOTH phone and tablet versions on the same day.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #46
JACKASTOR

Quote:
Eeeew- do you actually find yourself using the tablet version, like, for real? I find it to be more frustration than function....

Anyway, it is not Google Play that forbids you, it is TiVo- Google is just following TiVo's requirements. And it sucks. I have no idea why it would or should be region or even device specific.

TiVo released updates on BOTH phone and tablet versions on the same day.
why do you waste my time and otherswith your lack of help?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #47
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

The device doesn't need to be rooted to get the APK(none of my Android devices are rooted....well I guess my Pandigital craplet is, but it's too slow to really use anyway). You just use "File Expert" to back it up from the device and you have your apk. But you also aren't supposed to be providing an APK to someone else from purchased content, even though they were purchased for zero.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #48
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
why do you waste my time and otherswith your lack of help?
My aren't YOU selfish! This is called a *forum*. It fosters discussion on topics. Your definition of "help" isn't necessarily identical to anyone else's.

I am sorry I don't have access the APK's. If I did, I would have given them to you already (since they are not paid apps). But that would still not have stopped me from posting responses to what I believed to be incorrect, vague, or misleading statements, nor interjecting my opinion on the topics.

Last edited by crxssi : 09-15-2012 at 09:11 AM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #49
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The device doesn't need to be rooted to get the APK(none of my Android devices are rooted....well I guess my Pandigital craplet is, but it's too slow to really use anyway). You just use "File Expert" to back it up from the device and you have your apk. But you also aren't supposed to be providing an APK to someone else from purchased content, even though they were purchased for zero.
You can make backups of most apps using tools like "File Expert", but that won't work with the TiVo app, for some reason... I assume unless you are rooted. Just to make sure I was correct before posting this, I tried, yet again, to backup the TiVo app with File Expert and it failed. Yet it works with almost every other app on my tablet, even ones I paid for.

I even uninstalled the TiVo app and installed it again, no change. When I tried it with AirDroid, it said the following: "Copying of below 1 app(s) is prohibited. TiVo Copy Protection is a publishing option by developers to prevent copying of their apps from the device."

Last edited by crxssi : 09-15-2012 at 09:05 AM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #50
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
You can make backups of most apps using tools like "File Expert", but that won't work with the TiVo app, for some reason... I assume unless you are rooted. Just to make sure I was correct before posting this, I tried, yet again, to backup the TiVo app with File Expert and it failed. Yet it works with almost every other app on my tablet, even ones I paid for.

I even uninstalled the TiVo app and installed it again, no change. When I tried it with AirDroid, it said the following: "Copying of below 1 app(s) is prohibited. TiVo Copy Protection is a publishing option by developers to prevent copying of their apps from the device."
Maybe it's my phone then? An HTC ReZound. It is not rooted and doesn't have any issue creating an APK from the TiVo app with File Expert.

EDIT: I see again I'm talking about one version of the TiVo app and you are talking about the other TiVo App for tablets. So maybe that is restricted on the tablet version? Since you said the tablet app is completely different than the other app.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #51
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Maybe it's my phone then? An HTC ReZound. It is not rooted and doesn't have any issue creating an APK from the TiVo app with File Expert.

EDIT: I see again I'm talking about one version of the TiVo app and you are talking about the other TiVo App for tablets. So maybe that is restricted on the tablet version? Since you said the tablet app is completely different than the other app.
It is possible, just not sure. I only have one tablet, so I have no way to test any further.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #52
JACKASTOR

hmmmm

Last edited by JACKASTOR : 09-16-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: nothing to add
Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #53
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Was wondering if anyone had the tivo tablet apk as I am in canada google will not allow me to download it.

Thanks

Jack

FOUND A VERSION

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz19rdlsrt...roid-16680.apk

IS THIS LATEST VERSION?
Hey Thanks.

This works on my 7" Kindle Fire HD. Now I can see how the tablet app works.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #54
aaronwt
HD Addict

I only got a chance to play around with the tablet app for ten minutes this morning. But in that time it seemed very quick dealing with all the things I looked at. I'll need to look closer at it tonight and mess around with season passes, deleting content, etc. to see how it works with that.

So far the thing I like better about this app is that it rotates with the orientation of the screen. The other app does not rotate.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #55
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I only got a chance to play around with the tablet app for ten minutes this morning. But in that time it seemed very quick dealing with all the things I looked at.
You are either in a reality distortion field, or your brain-hand-eye processing speed is orders of magnitude slower than mine

(Or perhaps you are just infinitely more patient)
Old 09-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #56
moyekj

Quote:
You are either in a reality distortion field, or your brain-hand-eye processing speed is orders of magnitude slower than mine

It's all relative. aaronwt finds the HDUI in general is plenty fast enough which I have never found to be the case, so the reference point is clearly different than mine. Of course I'm probably skewed the other way since at times I even find the SDUI is a little too slow for my liking.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #57
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

I played around with it some more last night. Some screens popped up almost instantly, while some took one or two seconds(And this morning a couple took around five seconds). So far the only time I had to wait a long time was when I messed with my Season passes. I changed the priority of several season passes and it took almost a minute until it was finished.

Does the WiFi speed have anything to do with it? I see the Kindle Fire HD has some decent throughput over WiFi at 5Ghz compared to the original Fire. Using the download speeds tests I get 75mb/s down and 70Mb/s up(my original fire could only get 25Mb/s). It links with the AP at 270Mb/s. So I might be able to get faster speeds if I remove the five wireless Bridges that are also connected to that AP. When I tested from a laptop to that AP without anything else I could get 150mb/s down speeds from the AP. (70Mb/s up and 155Mb/s down is the limit of my 150/65 tier on FiOS)

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-19-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #58
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It's all relative. aaronwt finds the HDUI in general is plenty fast enough which I have never found to be the case, so the reference point is clearly different than mine. Of course I'm probably skewed the other way since at times I even find the SDUI is a little too slow for my liking.
I wouldn't say that it's fast enough. Every UI can always be faster. Fast enough for me would be instantaneous. Which unfortunately is impossible. The HDUI is not slow enough to hinder my usage of it. If I had to sit there and contanstly wait for screens to appear that would be different. But that is not the case with the HDUI on my boxes.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #59
aaronwt
HD Addict

Hmm... I have three Premieres and I had used the tablet app with my two tuner Premiere and an Elite extensively. It was pretty quick with most things I tried.

But then I tried it with my second Elite and it was as if I was using a different app. Everything was slower when using the app, and the app lost communication at one point with the Elite. And when I tried using the IR and BT remote I got no response. After a couple of minutes the Elite rebooted.

This was a completely different experience than I had with the other two boxes. I have no idea what caused it but when I went back to using the app with my other Elite it had no issues. It was quick as before. I'll need to try it again with the Elite it had issues with to see if the same thing happens. I have no idea why it would have issues with one box but not with the other two. Any ideas?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #60
aaronwt
HD Addict

So I messed around with the Tablet App on my Kindle Fire HD again this weekend. For some reason it has issues with one of my Elite boxes. It works great with one Elite and a two tuner Premiere. It's nice and fast, menus pop up quickly, and nice to use. But whenever I use it with my second Elite, it's like it becomes a completely different app. It's very slow, and my Elite freezes, and I also had that Elite reboot again after freezing.