TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
myxpykalix

Help me OBE-Wan, you're my only hope!

I'm confused! And you can't get much help with technical info from Direct tv. I have a Series1 that allows me to input a line from my local cable into the coaxial connection on the back, and i have an old B55 Sony Directtv reciever that hooks via serial port to the tivo to control the directtv.....No problem, has worked for years.

However the local Comcast has switched to digital signals and now they put a reciever in between which makes it useless to me.
I call direct tv to order a direct tivo and they tell me that it WILL NOT accept local cable. Can I install some type of cable card or is there a way to get local cable and direct tv into the direct tivo ?

I have had tivos since 2000 and want to stay loyal (undeservadly so) but it's what i'm used to.

Also, I believe we are being told something that isn't true regarding the "1 week of guide info vs 2 weeks".
When it makes its local call it seems to download an awful long time and it also has to index for hours and hours and I suspect that they have set it up so that it is getting the info but won't show it.
Who wants to bet that soon you will see the 2 weeks of guide info, as an upgrade in service and an extra fee? That is just the conspiracy theorist in me thinking outloud, only remember you heard it from me FIRST! lol
myxpykalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Sorry, no. DirecTV/Tivo DVRs are strictly satellite only, andr off-air with a USB tuner accessory. There's no way to receive any cable TV channels.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
I'm confused! And you can't get much help with technical info from Direct tv. I have a Series1 that allows me to input a line from my local cable into the coaxial connection on the back, and i have an old B55 Sony Directtv reciever that hooks via serial port to the tivo to control the directtv.....No problem, has worked for years.

However the local Comcast has switched to digital signals and now they put a reciever in between which makes it useless to me.
I call direct tv to order a direct tivo and they tell me that it WILL NOT accept local cable. Can I install some type of cable card or is there a way to get local cable and direct tv into the direct tivo ?

I have had tivos since 2000 and want to stay loyal (undeservadly so) but it's what i'm used to.

Also, I believe we are being told something that isn't true regarding the "1 week of guide info vs 2 weeks".
When it makes its local call it seems to download an awful long time and it also has to index for hours and hours and I suspect that they have set it up so that it is getting the info but won't show it.
Who wants to bet that soon you will see the 2 weeks of guide info, as an upgrade in service and an extra fee? That is just the conspiracy theorist in me thinking outloud, only remember you heard it from me FIRST! lol
Are you feeding that B55 Sony Directtv receiver into the TiVo's line inputs?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 04-01-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: i before e, except in receiver
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
myxpykalix

Yes i feed the television signal into the audio/video inputs on the back and the tivo is changing the channel on the reciever via a serial cable. This setup is on a series1 that is 12 years old. And it works fine.

Why would they set it up so that you could NOT record cable on the new direct tivo's? It seems to me that it would make it so that a person could record both services. Whoever made this decision is a FOOL.

I saw a ad that says that the premiere records cable? But obviously it won't record direct tv....there is always a catch, it makes ou want to just trash all this stuff.....FRUSTRATING!

Another thing that confuses me is the new directtivo
has this stat:
Up to 61 Hours of high definition
529 Hours of standard definition

And i was told that you could NOT change the settings so that you HAD to record in HD and that as a result you would only get 61 hours out of the
DirecTV THR22 TiVo HD DVR
Stock 500 GB Unit
Which makes no sense to me, if i want to record in standard definition am I going to get more then the 61 hours?

Last edited by myxpykalix : 04-01-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS
Old 04-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Yes i feed the television signal into the audio/video inputs on the back and the tivo is changing the channel on the reciever via a serial cable. This setup is on a series1 that is 12 years old. And it works fine.

Why would they set it up so that you could NOT record cable on the new direct tivo's? It seems to me that it would make it so that a person could record both services. Whoever made this decision is a FOOL.

I saw a ad that says that the premiere records cable? But obviously it won't record direct tv....there is always a catch, it makes ou want to just trash all this stuff.....FRUSTRATING!

Another thing that confuses me is the new directtivo
has this stat:
Up to 61 Hours of high definition
529 Hours of standard definition

And i was told that you could NOT change the settings so that you HAD to record in HD and that as a result you would only get 61 hours out of the
DirecTV THR22 TiVo HD DVR
Stock 500 GB Unit
Which makes no sense to me, if i want to record in standard definition am I going to get more then the 61 hours?
The Sony SAT-B55 has an RF input for the satellite signal, and two other RF connectors. The upper one is an input, but the lower one is an output which can be set to analog channel 3 or 4.

You could connect that to the TiVo's RF input, and connect the new cable box to the TiVo's line inputs.

Yes, it's a kludge, and you'll have to do a lot of manual channel changing, but when newer stuff comes out with "features" the older stuff wasn't designed to deal with, that's the result, and having to deal with that result is the result of your local cable monopoly (who don't want you using either satellite or a DVR you aren't renting from them in the first place) screwing you by dropping analog.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
myxpykalix

The Sony SAT-B55 has an RF input for the satellite signal, and two other RF connectors. The upper one is an input, but the lower one is an output which can be set to analog channel 3 or 4.

You could connect that to the TiVo's RF input, and connect the new cable box to the TiVo's line inputs.

So basically reverse what i have now? The comcast reciever is rf in/rf out so i would have to be able to convert the rf to rca jacks? Even then you have to change channels via the comcast reciever, are you telling me that if i can convert the plugs from rf to rca that i can run them into the tivo and change cable channels? Sorry for my confusion but the idea was to go to the directtivo box for satellite channel changing and rig up a way to get the locals so as to be able to change channels for the local.
Does the Premiere record local cable? But the catch is it don't record direct tv.

Yes, it's a kludge, and you'll have to do a lot of manual channel changing, but when newer stuff comes out with "features" the older stuff wasn't designed to deal with, that's the result, and having to deal with that result is the result of your local cable monopoly (who don't want you using either satellite or a DVR you aren't renting from them in the first place) screwing you by dropping analog
Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:

So basically reverse what i have now? The comcast reciever is rf in/rf out so i would have to be able to convert the rf to rca jacks? Even then you have to change channels via the comcast reciever, are you telling me that if i can convert the plugs from rf to rca that i can run them into the tivo and change cable channels? Sorry for my confusion but the idea was to go to the directtivo box for satellite channel changing and rig up a way to get the locals so as to be able to change channels for the local.
Does the Premiere record local cable? But the catch is it don't record direct tv.

Yes, it's a kludge, and you'll have to do a lot of manual channel changing, but when newer stuff comes out with "features" the older stuff wasn't designed to deal with, that's the result, and having to deal with that result is the result of your local cable monopoly (who don't want you using either satellite or a DVR you aren't renting from them in the first place) screwing you by dropping analog
I was assuming that the new box from Comcast had no RF/co-axial output, just yellow/white/red (and stuff a Series 1 can't use, like red/green/blue + white/red or HDMI).

Are you quite sure that it does? Is that just a pass through, or does it output as analog channel 3 or channel 4 whatever digital channel to which it is tuned?

If you already have said digital cable box, reply with brand and model number and maybe I can find something helpful somewhere.

I can't remember if in Guided Setup on Series 1s you can specify that you have a cable box or satellite receiver that connects via RF instead of line inputs or not, which would matter if you want to try to get the TiVo to change channels on the cable box, or if you want to swap the satellite box over to the RF input and change its channels with the TiVo.

I think the real hassle in all of this would be trying to get the TiVo to control the cable box, either because of the TiVo not having the remote codes for it, or because of having to enter "number number dot number" to get a specific channel on the cable box.

In the meantime, some of the later posts in this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...+digital+cable

may have helpful information.

(we're still on analog cable--and hoping to stay that way-and don't do satellite, so I don't have as much personal experience with situations like yours as I would if you were looking to put a couple of 1TB SATA drives in that S1, or something like that, and haven't done as much reading on that part of the overall TiVo topic)

Old 04-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
poppagene
User

I don't have cable so I may be off base here. People with S1 and S2 regular tivos have been able to continue using them after a switch to digital cable by way of something I believe is called a digital transport adapter or a digital tuning adapter (DTA). Search this forum for help and check out support from the regular tivo site http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...lkL01fODRxeFZr
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
I don't have cable so I may be off base here. People with S1 and S2 regular tivos have been able to continue using them after a switch to digital cable by way of something I believe is called a digital transport adapter or a digital tuning adapter (DTA). Search this forum for help and check out support from the regular tivo site http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...lkL01fODRxeFZr
That won't help with DirecTV. You always needed a separate DirecTV Receiver to feed channels to a standalone Series 1 or Series 2 Tivo.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
unitron

You know, if someone would have decided at the beginning of Switched Digital Video to either have called the thing you need with third party boxes like TiVos either a digital transport adapter or a digital tuning adapter, but not both, and stuck doggedly to just the one, it would be a lot less confusing.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You know, if someone would have decided at the beginning of Switched Digital Video to either have called the thing you need with third party boxes like TiVos either a digital transport adapter or a digital tuning adapter, but not both, and stuck doggedly to just the one, it would be a lot less confusing.
DTAs (Digital Transport Adapters) have nothing to do with SDV. They are limited, one way, digital converters and are equivalent to a crippled STB and are only necessary for non-digital devices such as a Tivo 1 or 2 or an analog TV. They are provided to comply with the FCC mandate for access to programming previously available on analog cable. TAs (Tuning Adapters) are needed if a cable system is utilizing SDV. For example, Comcast doesn't use SDV so there is no need for a TA. They do have DTAs available, but it would be idiotic to attach one to a TiVo 3 or 4.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote