TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #3931
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
The changes I made work, but wasn't sure if they're worth the increased file size. Stupid question: when you say bit rate, do you mean

-b 4000k -maxrate 8000k

bump those up further?

The original were

-b 2500k -maxrate 4000k
Yes.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #3932
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes.
Thanks!
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #3933
ncfoster

Just for clarity's sake, there is no current indication that changes in Tivo software are going to wreck the downloading component of kmttg (or pyTivo, etc.), right? I am annoyed that they would shut off this avenue, but I don't actually use the other functionality yet.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #3934
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
Just for clarity's sake, there is no current indication that changes in Tivo software are going to wreck the downloading component of kmttg (or pyTivo, etc.), right? I am annoyed that they would shut off this avenue, but I don't actually use the other functionality yet.
No. TiVo Desktop still needs to work the same way so that's safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #3935
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I'm not so sure... and I was about to elaborate, but then I thought, why give TiVo ideas? :S

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #3936
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I'm not so sure... and I was about to elaborate, but then I thought, why give TiVo ideas? :S
How ominous. Mum's the word! And if they hire you, I'm shorting Tivo.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #3937
sanjonny

It seems tivo info is having more episode numbers now than in the past, at least on my unit. Is there any way that for kmttg to be able to use the episode numbers in naming or show them in the Now Playing grid for the tivo?

For my tivo that runs tivowebplus, thru the web interface, it has episode numbers for most the shows, not sure how that is accomplished, but would be very helpful if kmttg could do the same or show that data easier than currently.
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #3938
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Now you're scaring me...

I was about to buy a Series 4 unit, so I haven't used that RPC functionality yet.

I use kmttg and pyTiVo so much, I would be so disappointed to see them destroyed.

Maybe no more TiVo for me. Time to look at other options....sadly.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #3939
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
Time to stock up on S2 and S3 units. Tivo wouldn't dare upgrade the SW in them.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #3940
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
Now you're scaring me...

I was about to buy a Series 4 unit, so I haven't used that RPC functionality yet.

I use kmttg and pyTiVo so much, I would be so disappointed to see them destroyed.

I wouldn't overreact. I think TiVo changing the core TTG/HMO functionality/authentication at this point for series 4 platforms would be highly unlikely (though not impossible).

Old 03-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #3941
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
It seems tivo info is having more episode numbers now than in the past, at least on my unit. Is there any way that for kmttg to be able to use the episode numbers in naming or show them in the Now Playing grid for the tivo?
Not just episode numbers, but I realized that I couldn't download a 2 part Masterpiece Classic show, because they were both named the same. (This also happens if you manually stop recording a show then start recording it again... but this parenthetical case is less important.)

Even more than that, but the "Part 1 of 2" info isn't in the metadata file that is generated. Is this info available to the metadata generator? (It obviously shows on the tivo itself when you hit info.)
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #3942
moyekj

If you click on an entry in kmttg NPL table if the show has episode information it will show it in the message window. Problem with trying to use episode info in file naming are numerous:
a) many episodic shows don't have the information (guide data doesn't have them)
b) obviously non-episodic shows don't have it
c) episode numbering scheme seems to be inconsistent. i.e. 122 can be season 1 episode 22 but it can also be season 12 episode 2 (which should really be 1202)
d) The HDUI for Premiere units I think uses internet data for displaying episode information so while it appears to be available the XML may not have the info readily available.

If someone wants to tackle adding support for it source code is available and a patch can be generated which I can apply and check in. At this point I'm not very enthusiastic about adding such things especially with the news about the RPC features going away with next software update which took away my enthusiasm for further development.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #3943
BizarroTerl

I've been using kmttg exclusively as a download method to get Tivo recordings onto my Unraid NAS for playback in XBMC. One of the biggest issues I had was that the downloaded episodes didn't have season/episode information and without that XBMC would rarely recognize them.

So I wrote a powershell script that kmttg calls as a custom command that does all that for me. It converts the file to m2ts format, runs comskip against it, then looks up the episode info from TheTvdb, renames the files, and moves it over to the NAS. For files that don't have a Thetvdb entry it will generate a nfo that Xbmc uses to import it into the XBMC library.

The script emails a results log and will suppress duplicate episodes. The initial design was to also set a limit on the number of episodes it keeps for a given series, but I haven't had time to code that.

I could make the script available, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're somewhat versed in powershell. I've been using it for a couple months now and it works well, at least for the shows I've been using it for (Tonight Show, The Office, Chuck, CSI, This Old House, BBC World News America, Parks and Rec, etc).

Thanks moyekj for providing kmttg.
BizarroTerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #3944
cherry ghost

Antone ever have a Firewall problem with "Combine download and tivodecode decrypt"?

I get that every time a new download/decrypt starts and have to approve it. Doesn't happen when download and decrypt are separate.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #3945
moyekj

Quote:
Antone ever have a Firewall problem with "Combine download and tivodecode decrypt"?

I get that every time a new download/decrypt starts and have to approve it. Doesn't happen when download and decrypt are separate.
Makes sense since kmttg creates a temporary .bat script that is run to perform the combined download/decrypt. You can probably avoid the issue by switching to Java downloads instead.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #3946
cherry ghost

Quote:
Makes sense since kmttg creates a temporary .bat script that is run to perform the combined download/decrypt. You can probably avoid the issue by switching to Java downloads instead.
Thanks, I'll give it a try later.

ETA - that fixed it

Last edited by cherry ghost : 03-28-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #3947
Eamus Catuli

Quote:
which encode is best for HD TV shows for the new iPad?
Just curious - how much bigger are the files? I thinking of getting an iPad and use kmttg to make files for it. Just wondering if it's worth getting the largest storage (64 GB I think).
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #3948
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamus Catuli View Post
Just curious - how much bigger are the files? I thinking of getting an iPad and use kmttg to make files for it. Just wondering if it's worth getting the largest storage (64 GB I think).
I made some changes to the ff_ipad encode and one hour HD shows end up around 1.5-1.6 GB.

# Description (single line, keep short)
<description>
mpeg4 container, res x=1920 h.264 video, 48KHz/320Kbps 5.1 chan aac audio

# Encode command or script (single line)
# Known keywords: FFMPEG, HANDBRAKE, MENCODER, PERL, INPUT, OUTPUT, PWD, CPU_CORES, SRTFILE
<command>
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads CPU_CORES -vcodec libx264 -level 41 -subq 6 -me_range 16 -qmin 10 -qmax 50 -g 300 -s 1920xHEIGHT -r 29.97 -b 5000k -maxrate 10000k -acodec aac -ac 6 -ab 320k -ar 48000 -f mp4 OUTPUT

# Encoded output file extension
<extension>
mp4

Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #3949
herbman

For the new iPad someone should be using high profile h.264 options like CABAC and the like. Modern ffmpeg should let you specify --profile high to cover a lot of those tiny options automatically.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #3950
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Time to stock up on S2 and S3 units. Tivo wouldn't dare upgrade the SW in them.
If you want to be safe, stock up on S1 units. TiVo can't upgrade the SW in them because they lost the source code. Or that's what it appears happened if you read between the lines in the S1 DST change fiasco.

I suppose it's a minor nit that the S1 doesn't even do HD or MRV or anything like that. So, other than DST algorithm changes, there wouldn't be much reason to update the SW in the S1.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #3951
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hi, I just started using kmttg and it works great aside from one problem I'm having which is that the audio is somewhat distorted.

I haven't seen any other reports about this which surprises me because it sounds very obvious to me, speech is often (but not continuously) distorted, especially on the first syllable of words. I might suspect the bitrate was too low, it sounds a bit like that, but I'm using the stock ff_ipad profile - 2 ch. AAC 160kbit, 48KHz.

I don't think it's distorted in the sense that it's clipping - in fact the audio level is really low compared to the source. The issue is quite obvious both on my tablet (which is actually a xoom, but I didn't like the ff_xoom profile) and on my PC. If I a/b between the mp4 and the mpg produced earlier in the pipeline it's clear the issue is present in former and not the latter. I've tried 4 shows and they all have the problem, and I can reproduce it by running the ffmpeg command myself so it seems like a ffmpeg issue and not anything else in the pipeline. I can try to produce some short clips if someone wants to listen.

I'm using kmttg 0p8q and the ffmpeg from the kmttg_win32_tools_v0p8p (which is a rather old version), on win7 x64. Any suggestions? Is anyone else having this issue? I think I'll try a newer version of ffmpeg, and play around with the flags a bit.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #3952
moyekj

Yes the issue is not new. The ffmpeg "aac" codec is pretty awful. Previously ffmpeg was using "libfaac" which was much better but they had to drop it because of some open source violations. Don't know if newer versions of ffmpeg are any better or not but the problem is or was related to the aac codec ffmpeg is using. If you search this thread for libfaac you will find some discussion about it.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #3953
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks, that is definitely helpful! I am re-encoding something now with the latest ffmpeg to see if it helps, but if not it looks like it's possible to get libfaac working with a bit of effort.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #3954
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
The new ffmpeg makes a huge difference. I'm using the latest build (N-39267-g4082198) which is 2+ years newer than the one in the 'tools' package. I guess the AAC codec is still considered experimental so I had to add the flag '-strict -2', but so far it sounds fine to me - we'll see after I watch a whole movie. I also got libfaac working using one of the suggestions earlier in the thread so maybe I'll try that as well.

Overall, kmttg is really awesome - being able to load up movies on my tablet is great and I think it's friendly enough I could probably show my wife how to do it as well.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #3955
saberman

kmttg v0p7o
Updated to v0p8q with same results

I am trying to setup kmttg to use VRD QS. I set the path to VideoRedoTVSuite as the VideoRedo path.

kmttg then throws an error because it cannot file the automation class "VideoReDo.VideoReDoSilent". How do Iconfigure it to use VideoReDoTVSuite?

Last edited by saberman : 04-02-2012 at 12:15 AM.
saberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #3956
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberman View Post
kmttg v0p7o
Updated to v0p8q with same results

I am trying to setup kmttg to use VRD QS. I set the path to VideoRedoTVSuite as the VideoRedo path.

kmttg then throws an error because it cannot file the automation class "VideoReDo.VideoReDoSilent". How do Iconfigure it to use VideoReDoTVSuite?
See:
VideoRedo_configuration Wiki.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #3957
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
Now you're scaring me...

HERC AND MOYEKJ:

First off, in my opinion, if you like a tivo 3 and get a premiere, i bet you will be disappointed, the menus are god aweful slow and some of the other features and such just plain suck because of overall slowness. The only positive i have found is the remote control function for scheduling and such is much better (although they could easily add same exact functionality to the 3 series but wont). I use my 3 series all the time but really only download from my 4 series and after my year is up, i will probably get rid of it. I do like the benefit of the latest one being able to tune 4 channels at once (i dont have that one though). Other users might have better things to say, but for me, the slownesd and lag of the menu system is so bad, i cannot interact with the permiere much at all, except to pull shows off it.

For moyekj, i have two questions/thoughts, is the tivowebplus lookup something that could be plugged into or have at least that part of the code pulled from to incorporate into kmttg? As i said before, it does a pretty good job.

Second, filebot (another great software namer) is really good at renaming with or without episode numbers and such and has a pretty good cli that also might be able to be bolted on without much effort. It is very customizable and the developer is all over updates and changes so he might be good to partner with.

One other thing i thought of too, is in nextpvr, there is a renamer/lookup tool that runs based on the program airdate and time which works in a diffeent but pretty cool way too which also might be a good add in to at least look at to possibly work from to bolt on renaming/episode guide stuff too. Both these are pretty good about error handling if there is no episode or whatever. I will post the name of the nextpvr tool once i look it up.

Filebot is probably the easiest/best way to go as it just plain works, has multiple dbs you can reference for both movies and tv shows and has the interface that could probably link easiest with kmttg. It is my daily go to tool for renaming as it beats everything else hands down and is actively developed.

I understand you are upset about the stupidity of tivo corp with some of their potential decisions, but just in case you do want to add more stuff to kmttg, i think those are good starting points.

One other thought, thetvdb is good, but tvrage has lots of shows that tvdb does not and because filebot makes uses of both of those along with several other dbs, it makes sense to consider if you ever do decide to start working on this, multiple database sources for naming too.

And for all users, tellingbtivo your opinion could do nothing but help our cause, so drop them an email about the remote fuction changes is always a good idea. I have already sent three!
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #3958
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
First off, in my opinion, if you like a tivo 3 and get a premiere, i bet you will be disappointed, the menus are god aweful slow and some of the other features and such just plain suck because of overall slowness.
The HDUI is slow. The SDUI is fast! The Premiere is by far the fastest TiVo ever released, on a hardware level. It's particularly fast with transfers.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 04-03-2012 at 03:32 AM.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #3959
danterner
Not it!

I am using the latest version of kmttg on my Windows 7 PC. KMTTG is wonderful - thank you so much for developing it and also for your helpful responses on this thread. I've been lurking here on this thread for several years, trying to glean what I can. I know nothing about scripting or custom commands or the like, but I've been able to get kmttg to do what I need. I've now hit a roadblock, though:

I have kmttg set up to download my shows and to re-encode them as MP4 files. KMTTG then automatically runs Atomic Parsley and adds metadata to the container files so that iTunes recognizes them as television shows rather than movies. I use a separate program (I believe it is called "Itunes Folder Watcher") which monitors my media download folder so that when the finished MP4 arrives it automatically gets added to my iTunes library. So far, so good. However, here's where I hit a snag: Atomic Parsley doesn't seem to be adding cover art for the shows to their meta data, though it does add all the other info correctly. I don't know how to tell it to do so, though I found some comments from a 2009 post on this thread that made it sound like this is possible. The reason I need cover art for the shows is that when they display on my iPad, the television section doesn't list their file names. All that displays is a screen capture from the start of the show - not very helpful at all, since more often than not the image is useless for identification purposes. I do have cover art for my shows already on my computer -- is there a way to get Atomic Parsley to add the cover art while it is doing its thing from within kmttg? I can go into iTunes and manually paste the jpg into the "Get Info" field, but I'm looking for more of an automated solution, if one exists. Is there a way to do this?

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #3960
saberman

Quote:
Running VideoRedoTVSuite as administrator did it.
saberman is offline   Reply With Quote