TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
micheleT

desperately need help....please help...

i live in canada....i have a series 2 tivo....loooooove it....unfornately canada doesn't sell them here...trust me i searched and searched....however i am going to florida in april....thought i would buy one down there...again i searched and search for where to buy a series 2 tivo...came up empty handed....could you please help me and tell me what stores in daytona beach sell the series 2 or how i can go about to get one....it is my understanding that only series 2 works in canada......
micheleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Krellion

While not officially supported in Canada, Series3 (TiVo HD) and Series4 (Premiere) TiVos will work for OTA and analog cable signals; digital cable won't work due to the lack of CableCARD support in Canada. The Premiere Elite (4-tuner), which only works with digital cable/CableCARD, will not work at all.

TiVo in Canada
)
TiVo HD XL (S3, Lifetime) @ 1TB - CableCARD/TA
TiVo Premiere XL4/Elite (S4, Lifetime) @ 2TB - CableCARD/TA
Krellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleT View Post
i live in canada....i have a series 2 tivo....loooooove it....unfornately canada doesn't sell them here...trust me i searched and searched....however i am going to florida in april....thought i would buy one down there...again i searched and search for where to buy a series 2 tivo...came up empty handed....could you please help me and tell me what stores in daytona beach sell the series 2 or how i can go about to get one....it is my understanding that only series 2 works in canada......
I'm not sure anyone is still selling Series 2s new anymore (although lots of individuals claim to have them "new in the box" or "like new in the box" or "opened box, but never used". And they seem to think this justifies asking rather steep prices.

Whichever part of Florida you're going to, start checking the Craigslist page for that area to get a feel for what's available at what price in that area.

If by chance you're driving down, check the pages for the places you'll be passing through.

I check Craigslist pages nationwide for TiVos, and occasionally see dual tuner units being given away and often going for around $20.

Are you using your current S2 on analog cable up there in polite-istan?

TCF member classicsat seems to be our resident expert on TiVos in Canada, perhaps you should try an email or PM to him for advice on which model you'd be best off with.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
MeInDallas

They have some on Amazon that are listed as new, but I wouldnt pay that price for an older model Tivo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
classicsat
Astute User

The only way to get a Series 2 these days is second hand.

If you have a pay TV service, you will surely have a box, in which case any Series 2 will do. If you are thinking of switching to antenna, the Series 2DT and "542" does not support antenna, but all other Series 2 models do, including support for DTA boxes.

If you are thinking of switching to or use antenna, you can get a TiVo HD, but they don't work with digital cable in Canada, since Canadian providers do not provide Cablecards, nor do they work with STBs.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
micheleT

usa gets all the toys

thanks everyone....i have bell express vu....i am not a technical person.....but i was reading and searching for answers...am i understanding this right that that other tivos will work here other than series 2 st...??? i don't have high difination...my S2 is currently hooked up to bell express vu.....may have to go with DT if ST is hard to find????
Old 03-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
micheleT

will the TiVoŽ Premiere Elite work if i switch to cogeco cable???
Old 03-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
classicsat
Astute User

No. That one requires cablecard, which getting one and getting it running is like pulling teeth.

A Series 2 DT will work fine for Expressvu in Canada. Since that service is box only service, the Series 2 DT will be single tuner.

Only Series 2s are supported with box based services in Canada. Series 1s do not accept Canadian postal codes, and Series 3/4/HD models do not support boxes at all, and as said, Cablcards are not really available.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
... If you are thinking of switching to antenna, the Series 2DT and "542" does not support antenna, but all other Series 2 models do...
Do y'all still have analog (NTSC) over the air stations up there?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

I have an S2 DT model that has been sitting (no service plan). PM me if interested.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
classicsat
Astute User

For now, there are still NTSC broadcasts around.

Most stations in major cities, and some transmitters that were on 51 to 69, have converted to ATSC digital.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
micheleT

larrs i have pmed you......
Old 03-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
sharkster

I have a Series 2 that I just took out of commission. It is a small one, though (40gb). It works perfectly but I started having some weird channel-changing problems with my higher number digital channels, with BOTH of my older Tivos, so I upgraded to Premieres. I think it was something with the cable co because the Tivos worked just fine. Anyway, the small one has been taken out of service and is boxed up complete with the books, cord, IR cable, and serial cable. I also have a/v cables.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
amatheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleT View Post
I have a Series 2 Tivo like new, I live in Miami, just let me know if you still want it.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatheu View Post
I have a Series 2 Tivo like new, I live in Miami, just let me know if you still want it.
Will we all be invited to the wedding?