TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Boxee with Premiere?

I have just purchased a Boxee to allow viewing of programs saved on my TiVo at home, while at our summer house. I see the PC app for the Slingbox HD is very straightforward -- you can get a picture of a TiVo remote and press its buttons with the mouse -- but how do you easily control the TiVo with Boxee? The instructions are minimal. Anyone who has done this, please give us the benefit of your experience.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
bhs00

I just use the tivo app on my phone to control it. That it how I have it set up to view tv in another room without buying another tivo.
bhs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs00 View Post
I just use the tivo app on my phone to control it. That it how I have it set up to view tv in another room without buying another tivo.
That's not an option -- the TiVo is at another location, so my iPhone is not on the same network when using the Boxee box.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

I didn't think the boxee was like a sling box. I thought a Computer was required or at least a networked drive.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
danterner
Not it!

I have both a Premiere and a Boxee, and I like both, and they complement each other well, but I don't think the Boxee does what you think it does...

You could however use a program like kmttg (there's a big thread here on its use, frequented by the developer) to pull shows off your TiVo and save them to your computer in a file format that can then be viewed on the Boxee locally (or viewed remotely using a program capable of viewing streaming media, like the Air Video iOS app, for example). And Air Video supports AirPlay and so does the Boxee box, so if your tivo and computer are in Location 1 and you are in location 2 with the iOS app, a television, and the Boxee attached to that television, you could play the file on the AirVideo ios app and push it over to your television which has the Boxee attached to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:

Last edited by danterner : 03-23-2012 at 07:53 PM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Gentlemen, the Boxee does allow real-time connection to the TiVo and whatever it is viewing, live or playback, but the problerm is that for some reason the RF remote for the Boxee is hideously slow in sending commands to the TiVo -- like seconds delay per keystroke. It's like trying to have a conversation on a phone line with a huge delay. This is wierd because the slingbox software on a remote PC operates its pseudo-remote very fast.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue
Gentlemen, the Boxee does allow real-time connection to the TiVo and whatever it is viewing, live or playback, but the problerm is that for some reason the RF remote for the Boxee is hideously slow in sending commands to the TiVo -- like seconds delay per keystroke. It's like trying to have a conversation on a phone line with a huge delay. This is wierd because the slingbox software on a remote PC operates its pseudo-remote very fast.
How? Using Boxee's web browser? Via a Boxee app? I wasn't aware this could be done, slowly or not.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
How? Using Boxee's web browser? Via a Boxee app? I wasn't aware this could be done, slowly or not.
Yes, there is a boxee Slingbox app. I have a Singbox HD connected to the TiVo, and the Boxee at the other site. Works great, except for the s-l-o-w remote.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue

Yes, there is a boxee Slingbox app. I have a Singbox HD connected to the TiVo, and the Boxee at the other site. Works great, except for the s-l-o-w remote.
Ah, that makes sense. It's the slingbox that's the missing part of the equation - that's what's enabling the place shifting.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 03-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
I see the PC app for the Slingbox HD is very straightforward -- you can get a picture of a TiVo remote and press its buttons with the mouse -- but how do you easily control the TiVo with Boxee? The instructions are minimal. Anyone who has done this, please give us the benefit of your experience.
It makes since now. I thought you was comparing apples to oranges.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
Thinkdiff

It's not the RF remote, it's the design of the Slingbox App (likely not to change anytime soon).

The Boxee sends the command instantly and the TiVo receives it within a few milliseconds, but Slingbox works off a variable buffer of up to 10 seconds, so you need to wait for that command to be acknowledged in your buffered video feed.

On the PC app, the existing buffer is dropped and the app starts a new buffer after every command press which makes it seem more responsive. Both the Boxee and iOS apps don't reconnect to streams very well, so it seems they've tried to offset this by making it excruciatingly painful to use the remote. Combine that with no way to change the hard-keys so you have to constantly go into the full UI menu to press the 30-sec skip button, and the Slingbox App for Boxee is nearly useless if you rely on TiVo's functionality to make watching TV more efficient. The quality is spectacular, though.
Thinkdiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkdiff View Post
It's not the RF remote, it's the design of the Slingbox App (likely not to change anytime soon).

The Boxee sends the command instantly and the TiVo receives it within a few milliseconds, but Slingbox works off a variable buffer of up to 10 seconds, so you need to wait for that command to be acknowledged in your buffered video feed.

On the PC app, the existing buffer is dropped and the app starts a new buffer after every command press which makes it seem more responsive. Both the Boxee and iOS apps don't reconnect to streams very well, so it seems they've tried to offset this by making it excruciatingly painful to use the remote. Combine that with no way to change the hard-keys so you have to constantly go into the full UI menu to press the 30-sec skip button, and the Slingbox App for Boxee is nearly useless if you rely on TiVo's functionality to make watching TV more efficient. The quality is spectacular, though.
It amazes me that no reviewers saw fit to mention this. Thanks for the explanation.