TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
gersch

Tivo Server Stopped

Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 had been working perfectly since I first installed it and I was able to play my Music files and view my Photos on my Tivo Premiere with no problem until about 2 weeks ago. Now there is a red X through the Tivo Server icon in the taskbar and when I try to restart the Tivo Server I get an error "An internal error has occurred". When I run the Tivo Desktop Troubleshooting program, the log contains the error "PC server cannot be found by Bonjour for Windows".

I am running Windows 7 Professional on a Dell Inspiron 15R. I have tried uninstalling Tivo Desktop and running the TivoDesktopCleaner and reinstalling Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 but with the same results. I have also tried restarting Bonjour and even uninstalling and reinstalling Bonjour but that didn't help either. I then tried installing Tivo Desktop on an old laptop running XP and it worked flawlessly, so I know it's not a network issue with my Linksys router or the Tivo Premiere itself. I also looked at the Programs and Features control panel and nothing has been installed in the last month save for the latest Windows Updates.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Last edited by gersch : 09-19-2011 at 02:46 PM.
gersch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
shamilian

I think mine stopped working about that time too. I switched to Tivo Beacon ( in properties/network menu) and it works again....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
tajbabydoll

Same Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gersch View Post
Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 had been working perfectly since I first installed it and I was able to play my Music files and view my Photos on my Tivo Premiere with no problem until about 2 weeks ago. Now there is a red X through the Tivo Server icon in the taskbar and when I try to restart the Tivo Server I get an error "An internal error has occurred". When I run the Tivo Desktop Troubleshooting program, the log contains the error "PC server cannot be found by Bonjour for Windows".

I am running Windows 7 Professional on a Dell Inspiron 15R. I have tried uninstalling Tivo Desktop and running the TivoDesktopCleaner and reinstalling Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 but with the same results. I have also tried restarting Bonjour and even uninstalling and reinstalling Bonjour but that didn't help either. I then tried installing Tivo Desktop on an old laptop running XP and it worked flawlessly, so I know it's not a network issue with my Linksys router or the Tivo Premiere itself. I also looked at the Programs and Features control panel and nothing has been installed in the last month save for the latest Windows Updates.

I am having the same problem with my computer and it started a few days ago. I talked with TiVo and they were about as much help as nothing. I had already done everything they told me to do, multiple times. I'm running Windows Vista, so I don't think the problem is that you're on 7. Have you found a solution yet? Also, I'm not finding a way to switch to Beacon because I'm getting the message Error 1359 something.

Last edited by tajbabydoll : 10-03-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added more.
tajbabydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
gersch

I tried switching to the Tivo Beacon Service as well but when I try to start the service I get Error 1359: An Internal Error Occurred. Not a very helpful error message if I say so myself.

The odd thing is I would feel better if it had never worked at all....but the fact that it did at one time makes this even more frustrating!!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If using Windows 7, click on the start icon (Windows icon, lower left) and select: All Programs -> TiVo Desktop -> TiVo Desktop Troubleshooting.

That will run a test of your connections and such.

Using the same path, click on LogFinder. You can enable various logs that may help in troubleshooting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
gersch

I have done that and this is what I get:

>>General Information
TiVo Desktop 2.8.412.369 is installed for United States

Windows Firewall is on and is set up for use with TiVo Desktop.

TiVo Server
PC server cannot be found by Bonjour for Windows

The following TiVo DVRs should be able view the content shared by TiVo Desktop.

DVR74D5 7xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

TiVo DVRs on your Network
Successfully connected to the following DVRs:

DVR74D5 7xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Playback and Conversions
You have upgraded to TiVo Desktop Plus

Web Video
This PC can auto-transfer web video to your TiVo DVR(s) and can
assist in delivering web video from the DVR’s Video on Demand menu

TiVo Server is unable to listen for requests from the TiVo Service to download web videos to a DVR.
This may cause a delay between when you request a web video and when it downloads to your DVR.
Restarting the PC may resolve this issue.

There are no videos currently scheduled to transfer automatically to your DVR.<<

Does this provide any clues for anyone???

Last edited by gersch : 10-05-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Not that I believe it really matters, but you might want to edit your post to remove your Premiere's TSN.

Having said that, have you talked to Tivo Support? Use online chat or call the support line. Maybe they have a clue as to what Error 1359 is.

I wonder if this might be a bug strictly related to the Premiere.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
gersch

Thanks Steve....good advice. I have contacted Tivo Support and they barely seem to know what Tivo Desktop is let alone provide any help in this matter.

It can't be related to the Premiere since it has worked with 2 other computers on the same network running through the same wireless router. A friend is bringing his Windows 7 laptop over later this week and I'm going to try installing Tivo Desktop on that machine and see what happens.

Should be interesting.....
Old 12-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
machpost

I've been having nearly identical problems for months. It used to work flawlessly, but then one day, it quit working. I'm guessing it's a conflict with something else I'm running that uses Bonjour, or else some Windows 7 update has broken something, and knowing the glacial pace at which TiVo's developers work, they really don't care too much about fixing it.
machpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by machpost View Post
I've been having nearly identical problems for months. It used to work flawlessly, but then one day, it quit working. I'm guessing it's a conflict with something else I'm running that uses Bonjour, or else some Windows 7 update has broken something, and knowing the glacial pace at which TiVo's developers work, they really don't care too much about fixing it.
If Windows broke it, are we sure that TiVo can fix it without Microsoft's active assistance?

And what are the chances MS wants to do that?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Don't rule out that Apple might have changed something in Bonjour.
That is why some people recommend switching to Tivo Beacon for troubleshooting purposes.

ETA: If you're using Bonjour w/ Tivo Desktop, check to make sure the Bonjour service is running.
For Windows 7, open the control panel and start to type ' administrative ' in the search box. Click on 'Administrative Tools' and then 'Services'.
Check to make sure the Bonjour Service is enabled.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 12-14-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
machpost

Bonjour seems to be running fine on my system, because there are lots of other applications that use it all the time (AirFoil, iTunes/Apple TV/AirPlay, AirPrint, etc.). I've tried switching to Beacon, which if I remember correctly required some convoluted process since the TiVo Server was not running, and I could never get Beacon to run, either.

Not a big deal, since I rarely use the server function and the ability to move shows from the TiVo to the PC is more important than the other way around, but it's just annoying that suddenly it doesn't work anymore.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gersch View Post

I just started having a problem with mine, I can't think of what could have changed.
I switched from Bonjour to TiVo Beacon and got the same results. I reverted back to an earlier version of TiVo Desktop to see if the problem goes away.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Don't rule out that Apple might have changed something in Bonjour.
That is why some people recommend switching to Tivo Beacon for troubleshooting purposes.

ETA: If you're using Bonjour w/ Tivo Desktop, check to make sure the Bonjour service is running.
For Windows 7, open the control panel and start to type ' administrative ' in the search box. Click on 'Administrative Tools' and then 'Services'.
Check to make sure the Bonjour Service is enabled.
Thanks for the tip, I did this but a within an hour the service stopped on its own.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
andyprchrd

same issue

tivo server won't start, same error message - "internal error has occured." started within the last month or so. Worked fine up until recently. Tried all the same fixes as above, no resolution. Windows 7 pro, 64 bit. Tivo Series 3, 4 years old with weaknees hd upgrade. Maybe multiple complaints will get Tivo interested in resolving...
andyprchrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
machpost

Is anyone aware of any progress in getting this issue resolved?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
ggieseke

FWIW I have W7 Pro 64-bit, Windows Firewall and MSE. All updates from Microsoft are current, and it works perfectly with TiVo Beacon.

When I upgraded from 2.8.2 to 2.8.3 I did notice that the firewall exceptions were wrong. It set up the rules to allow packets though on Public networks, but not Private or Domain. Once I fixed that my TiVos could see the PC again.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
FWIW I have W7 Pro 64-bit, Windows Firewall and MSE. All updates from Microsoft are current, and it works perfectly with TiVo Beacon.

When I upgraded from 2.8.2 to 2.8.3 I did notice that the firewall exceptions were wrong. It set up the rules to allow packets though on Public networks, but not Private or Domain. Once I fixed that my TiVos could see the PC again.
Can you explain how to do this for us losers?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #19
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
Can you explain how to do this for us losers?
In Windows Firewall click Advanced settings, then click Inbound Rules. Open each entry with Bonjour or TiVo in the name and click the Advanced tab.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
machpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
In Windows Firewall click Advanced settings, then click Inbound Rules. Open each entry with Bonjour or TiVo in the name and click the Advanced tab.
What should it be set to? I set all the Bonjour and TiVo entries to Domain and Private, and it still doesn't work for me.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #21
steve614
what ru lookin at?

My firewall settings all say private.

You can reset the settings if you go into the control panel -> uninstall programs.
Select Tivo Desktop, you should be offered a selection that says 'repair'. Click it.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #22
ggieseke

Quote:
What should it be set to? I set all the Bonjour and TiVo entries to Domain and Private, and it still doesn't work for me.
In the Network and Sharing Center, the staus of the adapter (home, work or public) determines whether you need to set Private, Domain or Public.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #23
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

I did all of the above and the server still craps out after random times. I down graded to TD Version 2.8. So far, so good.

***Update*** Overnight, this method also failed - back to the drawing board.

Last edited by NJ_HB : 02-26-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
gq69suave

Don’t normally post, but I feel the pain of my fellow TiVo desktop users and want to post an answer I found in my testing: 3 computers, 1 vista 64-bit, 1 win7 32-bit and 1 win7 64-bit. The first 2 worked fine but my win7 64-bit had the error. I tried all the TiVo support suggestions and all the suggestions I could find doing a Google search of the error and in post I found here.
I finally bit the bullet and did a clean install of my OS. Each time before I installed a program I ran a system backup to reverse any changes. After about 3-4 hours of getting everything the way I wanted, it came down to 1 program that caused the interference with the TiVo desktop server. Now this may not be the case for everyone but it may point you in the right direction.

The program in my case was something I got from a service called Emusic. Their download manager, which also syncs downloads with iTunes, WMP or WinAmp was not only giving me the red X over my TiVo icon, but also "internal error has occurred" "PC server cannot be found by Bonjour for Windows" and the dreaded “Error 1359”. Removed program and all was good.
gq69suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #25
LDLDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gq69suave View Post
Don’t normally post, but I feel the pain of my fellow TiVo desktop users and want to post an answer I found in my testing: 3 computers, 1 vista 64-bit, 1 win7 32-bit and 1 win7 64-bit. The first 2 worked fine but my win7 64-bit had the error. I tried all the TiVo support suggestions and all the suggestions I could find doing a Google search of the error and in post I found here.
I finally bit the bullet and did a clean install of my OS. Each time before I installed a program I ran a system backup to reverse any changes. After about 3-4 hours of getting everything the way I wanted, it came down to 1 program that caused the interference with the TiVo desktop server. Now this may not be the case for everyone but it may point you in the right direction.

The program in my case was something I got from a service called Emusic. Their download manager, which also syncs downloads with iTunes, WMP or WinAmp was not only giving me the red X over my TiVo icon, but also "internal error has occurred" "PC server cannot be found by Bonjour for Windows" and the dreaded “Error 1359”. Removed program and all was good.
Also it should be noted that ever since eMusic updated their download manager, not only did the Tivo Desktop Manager stop working, but a program called DVD Profiler stopped working too. The only solution was to delete eMusic and reinstall it as needed. Since I have another computer, I use eMusic on that one.
LDLDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
machpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by gq69suave View Post
Thank you! I've been an eMusic subscriber for years now, so their download manager is most likely the source of my problems as well. I'll try uninstalling it.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
LDLDL

Quote:
Thank you! I've been an eMusic subscriber for years now, so their download manager is most likely the source of my problems as well. I'll try uninstalling it.
This only affects the ones that downloaded the latest update to eMusic.
LDLDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
elgibby

I had been having the internal error issue as well until I found this thread - THANK YOU ALL! - re the eMusic downloader.

Just in case this is still an issue for anybody, uninstalling version 5.0.5 does solve the TiVo server issue.

I then found and downgraded to eMusic DLM version 4.1.4, and that did not break TiVo server and seems to work fine so far. You can get version 4.1.4 here.

If you choose to get it, be warned it wants to install a bunch of other stuff, so be sure to untick those boxes!

barry
elgibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #29
Len McRiddles

Make sure multicasting is enabled on your router.
Len McRiddles is offline   Reply With Quote