TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #31
Silvester
My SmartCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchTime View Post
This is why I have a computer attached to my TV as well as my TiVo. I just switch to the computer, go to Comcast, and view any On Demand contect I wish. Much easier (and less costly) than having both a Comcast DVR and a TiVo.
I would like to do that. How do you access the Comcast on-demand channels on your computer? Do you have a TV tuner card in it? If so what brand?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #32
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvester View Post
I would like to do that. How do you access the Comcast on-demand channels on your computer? Do you have a TV tuner card in it? If so what brand?
It is all available when you login at Comcast.com. There is also an iPad/iPhone app. I'm not sure if the apps include the full library or not.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #33
ZobVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiMike View Post
Yes to both of your questions Kham007
That's not entirely accurate. A Series 2 TiVo box can be used in VCR mode without a subscription. It will not have the TV Guides or searchable programming functions of course, but it can still be set to manually set up recordings by time and date.
ZobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #34
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZobVA View Post
That's not entirely accurate. A Series 2 TiVo box can be used in VCR mode without a subscription. It will not have the TV Guides or searchable programming functions of course, but it can still be set to manually set up recordings by time and date.
I don't believe any Series 2 units can do this except the ones with Tivo Basic.

Some very old Series 1 units can do this.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #35
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsix View Post
I was just told that the link I would have posted is misleading, in that it referred to using the TiVo service through a Comcast cable box -- and the Comcast continues to disable On Demand for people using TiVo boxes. Grrrrr (not at TiVo, but at Comcast)
tivo's don't have the necessary 2way hardware, but Comcast and Cox my cable provider are going to use something called ip back channel for it.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #36
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
I don't believe any Series 2 units can do this (record without a subscription) except the ones with Tivo Basic.

Some very old Series 1 units can do this.
All the Series 1 and SEries 2 Tivos all can do it, as long as the account shows 'in good standing' on the system info page. (i.e. the box was disconnected from the box before the service was discontinued ) But 'yes', buy a Tivo Pioneer or Toshiba TiVo for $50 on ebay and get Tivo Basic instead. Really worth the price over a VCR like Tivo. But I myself can't even stand using a Tivo basic box. I just miss too much the full lifetime features of season pass, wish list, and the search option. I do like the DVD burner player in the full lifetime DVD recorder Tivos. Maybe I will buy another one.

But Tivo sees using a TiVo box like this in violation of the user agreement.

Oh, and the clock with be off too with a Tivo without a sub, so you have to allow for that in all recordings. Why bother with it? Go ahead and get a lifetime on eBay.

Last edited by replaytv : 03-06-2012 at 01:31 AM. Reason: to add clock data
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #37
JulienPDX

Fcc

i have filed an fcc complaint against comcast for this practice and name the following reasons for doing so

1) M-Cards are capable of upstream/downstream communication; therefore there is no technological reason for this to be "blocked;" comcast is simply not enabling this because no one has called them out on it
2) ONDemand is a "free service"that is supposed to be available to all subscribers of digital cable. Advertising in my market does not include any provisos
3) ONDEMAND is available through Comcast's website and the XFINITY MOBILE app for Android and iOS BUT STILL REQUIRES that you have a "qualifying cable box" on your account to grant you access. This is further proof that Comast is INTENTIONALLY blocking access to ONDEMAND if you don't use their hardware.
4) Comcast is violating the "Spirit of the law" philosophy by intentionally disabling certain features (including those stupid copy flags that don't seem to exist on their own boxes) on CableCard accounts by creating unfair and unnecessary competition between their hardware and third-party hardware; which they are required to provide equal access.

Further, if they are so g******d worried that allowing third party hardware on their network will "hurt" their business; then maybe its time they improve what they currently offer!
JulienPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #38
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienPDX View Post
i have filed an fcc complaint against comcast for this practice and name the following reasons for doing so

1) M-Cards are capable of upstream/downstream communication; therefore there is no technological reason for this to be "blocked;" comcast is simply not enabling this because no one has called them out on it
2) ONDemand is a "free service"that is supposed to be available to all subscribers of digital cable. Advertising in my market does not include any provisos
3) ONDEMAND is available through Comcast's website and the XFINITY MOBILE app for Android and iOS BUT STILL REQUIRES that you have a "qualifying cable box" on your account to grant you access. This is further proof that Comast is INTENTIONALLY blocking access to ONDEMAND if you don't use their hardware.
4) Comcast is violating the "Spirit of the law" philosophy by intentionally disabling certain features (including those stupid copy flags that don't seem to exist on their own boxes) on CableCard accounts by creating unfair and unnecessary competition between their hardware and third-party hardware; which they are required to provide equal access.

Further, if they are so g******d worried that allowing third party hardware on their network will "hurt" their business; then maybe its time they improve what they currently offer!

the hardware also has to be 2way
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #39
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
I didn't realize this. What does the box have to do with any of it? Streaming from an app doesn't involve your box in any way does it?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #40
JulienPDX

I have tried multiple times to use ONDemand via the new iOS app for iPad and on an Android tablet. You are asked to log in with your Comcast.net credentials. I do that and even though I subscribe to at least one digital package and one premium; the app CHECKS to see if I have a cable box. Since I don't, it doesn't allow me access. Further, I can't access the independent HBO2Go app either because Comcast doesn't "validate" my subscription to them.
JulienPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #41
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
I have tried multiple times to use ONDemand via the new iOS app for iPad and on an Android tablet. You are asked to log in with your Comcast.net credentials. I do that and even though I subscribe to at least one digital package and one premium; the app CHECKS to see if I have a cable box. Since I don't, it doesn't allow me access. Further, I can't access the independent HBO2Go app either because Comcast doesn't "validate" my subscription to them.
I would post this over in the main Tivo forum and see if anyone has any advice. Nobody reads this forum but me. I am one of the few people on this forum that has actually seen a Comcast/Motorola/Tivo.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #42
LisaJaco

I called Comcast earlier this month to inquire about OnDemand for TiVo, and they told me the function would be available in April. Is this true or were they BSing me?
LisaJaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #43
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJaco View Post
I called Comcast earlier this month to inquire about OnDemand for TiVo, and they told me the function would be available in April. Is this true or were they BSing me?
It's going to be available in San Francisco soon. Not sure about April. No idea if/when they will ever roll it out nationwide.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #44
greyrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
All the Series 1 and SEries 2 Tivos all can do it, as long as the account shows 'in good standing' on the system info page. (i.e. the box was disconnected from the box before the service was discontinued ) But 'yes', buy a Tivo Pioneer or Toshiba TiVo for $50 on ebay and get Tivo Basic instead. Really worth the price over a VCR like Tivo. But I myself can't even stand using a Tivo basic box. I just miss too much the full lifetime features of season pass, wish list, and the search option. I do like the DVD burner player in the full lifetime DVD recorder Tivos. Maybe I will buy another one.

But Tivo sees using a TiVo box like this in violation of the user agreement.

Oh, and the clock with be off too with a Tivo without a sub, so you have to allow for that in all recordings. Why bother with it? Go ahead and get a lifetime on eBay.
My series one has long been off contract but to set the clock, I just plug the phone line in and select test connection, it updates the clock. I use it as a repeating schedule manual recording DVR.
greyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #45
emkorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJaco View Post
They made an announcement saying it's coming, but I am not holding my breath. While I would love to be wrong, I'm betting it gets rolled out in the SF market and then nowhere else until they kill it in a few years.

There's no reason to have a "test" market. Comcast doesn't have to do anything their equipment is not already doing to enable it. They could so an instant nationwide roll out tomorrow if they wanted too.

"test market" is code for "We're just doing this to get the FCC off our back and we're not putting one iota of effort beyond the minimum we need to". I will honestly be shocked if this ever see's the light of day outside SF.
emkorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #46
Bighouse
200 Club Member

My series3 is starting to act up and crashing sometimes twice a week. I swear I think TiVo has the best interface but I also feel they build their devices to ultimately fail. They really should rename theirs"lifetime" service to "five to ten years service max". I'm reading this thread because, though I've been a loyal TiVo customer for many years and have owned a 1, 2 and 3 I am now seriously considering getting off the "TiVo lifetime" bandwagon and going with a comcast dvr. I am going into my local cable store tomorrow to look at the offerings.
It makes me kind of sad to have to walk away from TiVo...but I don't like the limited lifetime of their products.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #47
jrtroo
User

Hard drives always, eventually fail, it is just a matter of time. Tivo buys hard disks, they don't make them.

Just replace it now before it fails completely, and only for the cost of the drive.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #48
TiredRetired

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkorial View Post
They made an announcement saying it's coming, but I am not holding my breath. While I would love to be wrong, I'm betting it gets rolled out in the SF market and then nowhere else until they kill it in a few years.

There's no reason to have a "test" market. Comcast doesn't have to do anything their equipment is not already doing to enable it. They could so an instant nationwide roll out tomorrow if they wanted too.

"test market" is code for "We're just doing this to get the FCC off our back and we're not putting one iota of effort beyond the minimum we need to". I will honestly be shocked if this ever see's the light of day outside SF.
I was told last week by the New England Regional Rep that it will be available here in Vermont in two months. Not sure where you are located but we are usually the last ones to get anything new from Comcast.

Vermont Republic
TiredRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #49
seattlewendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
My series3 is starting to act up and crashing sometimes twice a week. I swear I think TiVo has the best interface but I also feel they build their devices to ultimately fail. They really should rename theirs"lifetime" service to "five to ten years service max". I'm reading this thread because, though I've been a loyal TiVo customer for many years and have owned a 1, 2 and 3 I am now seriously considering getting off the "TiVo lifetime" bandwagon and going with a comcast dvr. I am going into my local cable store tomorrow to look at the offerings.
It makes me kind of sad to have to walk away from TiVo...but I don't like the limited lifetime of their products.
5-10 years to average life of a hard drive. That has nothing to do with TiVo. Don't be unrealistic. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to consider other options. This rather ridiculous reason is not one of them.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 AM   #50
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Buy a new hard drive and put it in the TiVo. The comcast garbage will have a hard drive failure just as fast, and it will eat your brain as it fails.
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #51
bobster954

comcast told me and offered me a free regular box as part of the normal package, even with the tivo.
this free box is not a dvr but IS INCLUDED in your monthly fee...it can get ondemand.

However...never got around to figuring out where to plug it in (a/b switch or something?)
I imagine a second outlet, which is supposed to be free, should work.
I only have one line in the house, so I guess I would have to split it though. (or pay big fee for them to do so and make a second outlet.)
bobster954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #52
jrtroo
User

Comcast packages either provide a free box or digital outlet, but not both. So, if you were to return the box you should not have to pay for the cablecard/digital outlet fees (though many times they do this with a credit).

If you want to use both, you just need to split the cable and put one to the tivo and the other to the comcast thing. Both can connect to the tv and work independently.

By outlet, you mean power? I hope you have a ups that you use with some protections against line disruptions and don't just plug into the wall.

Is that what you are looking for?
Old 06-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #53
Silvester
My SmartCar

Big Grin Comcast OnDemand via Android Tablet or Apple

Finally able to watch any of the Comcast OnDemand via Xfinity TV app on the Apple iPhone 4 or iPad Gen 3 both on IOS 5.1.1. Works good on each device independently. Easy to search, pause and even filter out just FREE stuff. Only issue is with the Apple TV interface products that I tried. First the HDMI iPad connector and the output was REAL BAD. Very blurry. Did not show xfinity video with the iPhone 4 but Youtube videos displayed OK. Next I got an Apple TV (GEN 3) to get the full 1080 experience and it had some connection issues and kept stopping. Good news thought for the Android. Works GREAT from an ASUS T300 Android IOS 4.0.3 running the new Xfinity TV PLAYER app (avail for Android ONLY) and connected to a TV via a Micro HDMI cable. Perfect audio - Very clear with full 1080p. As of right now I will not upgrade my lifetime Series 3 HD's to Premiere XL models since I will be able to get what I want from the Android tablet. Plan to buy the new ASUS Transformer Infinty TF700 in July/August just for this interface option.
http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transform...nity/features/