TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Naryator 509

bought a new series 2 and used series 2

Bought a new series 2 and also bought a used series 2 with life time subscription. Can I put the hard drive from the used unit with life time subscription in the new unit so the new unit will be lifetime insted of the used unit?

Last edited by Naryator 509 : 03-20-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Naryator 509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Nope. The lifetime subscription is tied to the Tivo Service Number which resides in the box, not on the hard drive.

The good news (if the other S2 is exactly the same model), is that you have spare parts.
The fan, power supply, and hard drive can be swapped out if they fail on the lifetime Tivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Naryator 509

So the lifetime is linked to the mother board and the hard drive?
Naryator 509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naryator 509 View Post
Motherboard only.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
It's linked to the MB only. You can change the power supply (if they are the same model) and the hard drive if you want newer parts. I'd take a close look at the power supply to see if there are any capacitors that have bulges on the top. That's known as capacitor disease and is a common problem with older Tivos.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
bshrock

Quote:
Yes, The Lifetime subscription is tied to the Mother Board. The Recordings on the Hard drive is keyed to the Mother Board. The drives can be swapped between TiVo's of the same models only if the first 3 digits of the TiVo Service Number are the same. For the TiVo to use the drive requires running Clear And Delete Everything to re-key the drive to the MB you will loose all recordings and settings.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Bought a new series 2 and also bought a used series 2 with life time subscription. Can I put the hard drive from the used unit with life time subscription in the new unit so the new unit will be lifetime insted of the used unit?
The lifetime subscription, known as Product Lifetime Service, is tied to a number called the TiVo Service Number.

TiVo maintains a database of which TSNs have had PLS purchased for them.

When the TiVo contacts the TiVo servers for program guide updates and such, it reports its TSN to TiVo and is told what its account status is.

If it does not have PLS and the subscription has been cancelled or allowed to lapse, the TiVo will be told that, and it will quit doing or allowing a lot of what could previously be done, like recording, transferring shows, etc.

So, how does the TiVo know what its TSN is?

The way the human owner knows is to look at the sticker on the back, but the way the TiVo itself knows is that there is an integrated circuit, or IC, commonly referred to as a chip, on the motherboard with that number stored on it in a way that cannot be erased once written. You'll see it referred to as the "crypto chip".

Why am I telling you this?

If the first 3 numbers of the model number of both of those S2s are the same, like say TCD240, or TCD649, then if the motherboard on the lifetimed one dies, someone who knows what they're doing working with surface mount devices (SMD) can unsolder the crypto chip from it and solder it onto the other motherboard, and it will now report itself to TiVo as the one with the number which has PLS.

This is not something you ever want to do unless it is absolutely necessary.

Also, PLS or not, recordings made on a particular unit are tied to that unit's TSN, and even if you move the hard drive, they won't play back on the other one just because the model numbers are the same.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote