TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #181
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac

Coincidentally, TiVo just released a new version of the iOS app that allows viewing and modifying the To Do list and Season Pass Manager on the S3/THD.
That's great. Just downloaded the update to work better with my Premiere. I see lots of functionality and UI improvements. However for THD/S3 users, the kicker for streaming support will be the ability to access (and control) the Now Playing list... And I don't think that support is baked into the old platform.

All that said, of anything TiVo is doing today, their iPad app (at least for Premiere owners) seems to be "their" best work. They update it frequently, it works well and looks great. ( I put "their" in quotes because my hunch (and I've read) that this work was subcontracted to some third party development house.)

It seems to be on a prioritized development cycle whereas the TiVO OS itself is lagging behind, remains HDUI incomplete. As it stands now, if I want the most aesthetically pleasing UI experience, I won't look at TiVo's menus at all, and I'd just use the iPad.

I just wish the "timeline scrubber" worked a bit differently. The time stamp should update as you scroll it, not only when you release your finger press. If I want to get to minute 34 it should be easier than just guessing and hoping for the best, then fast forwarding and rewinding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #182
GatorBlues

Does anyone know when this is expected to be released?
GatorBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #183
Dan203
Super Moderator

No date has been announced, but they said something about summer in the conference call. TiVo has released a lot of new products in late August/Early September, so that's probably about right for this. Although sooner would be better.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #184
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
TiVo Desktop is written by an outside company and has remained largely unchanged, with the exception of a few minor enhancements, for many, many, years. I would love for there to be a desktop app, but I just seriously doubt there will be. Although I wouldn't mind being proven wrong here.

Dan
I would definitely love an updated desktop app. It is a shame that TiVo hasn't bothered with this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #185
jmpage2

Any news on this? Seems to be awfully quiet considering that this would be a pretty big launch for TiVo.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #186
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Any news on this? Seems to be awfully quiet considering that this would be a pretty big launch for TiVo.
My guess is they are waiting until after this update comes out. I would think we would see them by August.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #187
Dan203
Super Moderator

I hope they come out soon. Having a way to stream from my TiVo to my iPad is something I desperately need. (my Slingbox is broken )

Dan
Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #188
jmpage2

I don't believe that TiVo has given any indication of being able to watch live TV on your iPad from the TiVo at a location other than your local wifi network. It's also possible that the only option with their new iPad app might be side-loading of content for watching at a later time.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #189
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
That would be a shame (although yes, I have heard the same.) If the box transcodes on the fly, I'm thinking there will be some way to get streaming to work outside our network, via port-forwarding, VPN, or something. It might not be a supported config, and there might be some buffering issues on networks with slower upstreams... but there will be some way. I guess we'll see.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #190
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I don't believe that TiVo has given any indication of being able to watch live TV on your iPad from the TiVo at a location other than your local wifi network. It's also possible that the only option with their new iPad app might be side-loading of content for watching at a later time.
They have clearly stated (and demonstrated) that this product will stream within your home network. They also indicated that the ability to stream externally has not be designed out of the system.

Will we ever see external streaming?

I think it is unlikely... The problem is not TiVo's ability to do it, it is the variety and uncontrolled quality of individual network connections. If they implement it - you will expect it to work. TiVo cannot guarantee that it will work in all instances, so it would end up being an implementation nightmare.

And while I would love to see it - I would rather not read all the whining that some guy couldn't stream from his TiVo @ 30 thousand feet on some transcontinental flight.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #191
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they demoed it streaming live to the iPad at CES. I don't actually care if it streams outside the home, I just need it inside. My wife wouldn't let me put a TV in the bedroom because it's too bright and loud and disturbs her. When I got my iPad I bought the Slingplayer app and used it a few times by just putting my iPad on my night stand. She said it was fine. However my Slingbox started acting up a few weeks later and now it wont hold a connection for more then a few minutes. (common problem, something about capacitors) I've been watching podcasts when going to be instead, but a lot of nights I end up falling asleep on the couch watching what I really want. And sleeping on the couch is terrible for my neck.

Dan
Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #192
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
They have clearly stated (and demonstrated) that this product will stream within your home network. They also indicated that the ability to stream externally has not be designed out of the system.

Will we ever see external streaming?

I think it is unlikely... The problem is not TiVo's ability to do it, it is the variety and uncontrolled quality of individual network connections.
Right. But if (A) they haven't specifically designed it "out of the system" (ie: they are not actively preventing it from working) and (B) I have sufficient upstream from my home and (C) I expect no support whatsoever from TiVo on such matters... then... I'd expect it to see it work, and I'll appreciate it.

I don't care so much about it being offered as a supported function for all TiVo customers. I just care about it working for me, so long as I bring the right ingredients and know-how to the table.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #193
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah the Slingbox uses a very complex system that dynamically adjusts the resolution and bitrate based on available bandwidth. I don't think TiVo wants to get into that. They just want to hard code a bitrate/resolution and have it just work. Just like the TiVo to TiVo streaming except with a transcode in the middle.

Although they may be forced to add some user settable options, maybe via a http UI, since different iOS/Android devices have different playback capabilities. (i.e. iPad 1 only does 720p, iPad 2/3 do 1080p) Edit: Or maybe make the app itself dynamically alert the transcoder box as to which settings to use based on the platform it's running on. In fact, on second thought, this is probably the better option.

Dan
Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #194
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
Although they may be forced to add some user settable options, maybe via a http UI, since different iOS/Android devices have different playback capabilities. (i.e. iPad 1 only does 720p, iPad 2/3 do 1080p) Edit: Or maybe make the app itself dynamically alert the transcoder box as to which settings to use based on the platform it's running on. In fact, on second thought, this is probably the better option.
My guess is TiVo will simply go with the lowest common denominator and simply stream at 720p or possibly lower.

Note also that while the iPad 2 can playback 1080p video, it doesn't benefit from it since the iPad 2 screen is only 720p. So only the new iPad would benefit from 1080p streaming.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #195
Dan203
Super Moderator

I considered that but older iPhones only support 640x480, and some Android devices have really odd resolution requirements. I think they're going to have to build some flexibility into the thing or the lowest common denominator is going to look pretty bad on the new iPad.

Dan
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #196
aaronwt
HD Addict

What content is it going to be streaming? If it's only recorded broadcast content then why would it be streaming in 1080P? Broadcast content is 1080i or lower.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 05-04-2012 at 08:50 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #197
lily33

great news
lily33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #198
WhiskeyTango

Has anything changed or is this still intended to be released only for cable companies?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #199
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
It'll be sold in retail too, we've been told.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #200
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm pretty sure they demoed it streaming live to the iPad at CES. I don't actually care if it streams outside the home, I just need it inside. My wife wouldn't let me put a TV in the bedroom because it's too bright and loud and disturbs her. When I got my iPad I bought the Slingplayer app and used it a few times by just putting my iPad on my night stand. She said it was fine. However my Slingbox started acting up a few weeks later and now it wont hold a connection for more then a few minutes. (common problem, something about capacitors) I've been watching podcasts when going to be instead, but a lot of nights I end up falling asleep on the couch watching what I really want. And sleeping on the couch is terrible for my neck.

Dan
Note that I specifically gave the likely unsupported use case of being able to stream to the iPad from a non home network.

While I don't expect TiVo to support this, I also do expect users will expect it and whine when it turns out to not be possible.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #201
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Has anything changed or is this still intended to be released only for cable companies?
Well nothing has changed recently however you seem to be way behind on what we have been told is going to happen.

The short version is there will be two devises.

One for cable companies that deploy TiVo DVRs that is a cable STB (has a cable tuner & cable card) and can stream from the TiVo DVR that the cable company rents you.

The other will be an IP only STB device (no tuners) for the stand alone market (us) that will be able to stream from TiVo Premieres (any Series 4).
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #202
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Well nothing has changed recently however you seem to be way behind on what we have been told is going to happen.

The short version is there will be two devises.

One for cable companies that deploy TiVo DVRs that is a cable STB (has a cable tuner & cable card) and can stream from the TiVo DVR that the cable company rents you.

The other will be an IP only STB device (no tuners) for the stand alone market (us) that will be able to stream from TiVo Premieres (any Series 4).
I'm aware of both products. Who exactly is telling us what you said? I was referring to the article on the first page that says Tivo has no plans to bring this to retail.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #203
Joe3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What content is it going to be streaming? If it's only recorded broadcast content then why would it be streaming in 1080P? Broadcast content is 1080i or lower.
Or why would they think that far ahead to 1080p Broadcast content. Its not that this company thinks ahead of their next law suit or anything
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #204
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
I'm aware of both products. Who exactly is telling us what you said? I was referring to the article on the first page that says Tivo has no plans to bring this to retail.
Because the topic of this thread is the transcoding device....
http://www.gizmolovers.com/2012/02/2...box-this-year/
Quote:
On today’s call Tom Rogers stated that the transcoding box would ship “later this year”, which I believe is the first firm public statement.
Not the IP STB
http://www.gizmolovers.com/2012/02/2...b-this-summer/
Quote:
Like the TiVo Preview, this unit is, initially at least, targeted at TiVo’s MSO customers – not retail.
Quote:
But first TiVo would have to offer this at retail. I discussed this with Jessica & Jim, and they recognize that there is demand for such a product, and acknowledged that it’d certainly be a perfect companion for the Premiere Elite. But for now TiVo doesn’t have any plans to bring the TiVo Preview to retail.
This is something the community needs to continue to bang the drum on. While I think this site is excessive with compainers - in this case, we in the retail market need to make it very unconfortable for TiVo until they decide to release the IP STB to the retail market.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #205
jmpage2

TiVo have already conducted surveys on the IP STB for retail, so they are feeling the market out (apparently before committing to anything).
Old 05-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #206
aindik

TiVo should write a streaming app for AppleTV and Roku like they've apparently written for iPad. How awesome would THAT be. Not that they'd ever do it.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #207
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I've always assumed the "streaming app" would be an update to the existing iPad app... with a simple "watch now" button added to the NP list. At least that's what TiVo SHOULD do...

Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #208
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I've always assumed the "streaming app" would be an update to the existing iPad app... with a simple "watch now" button added to the NP list. At least that's what TiVo SHOULD do...
There was a video that I cannot find at the moment, that demonstrated the functionality - and that is exactly how TiVo is designing this solution.

- From the iPad, select "Watch Now" and it will present you with an option to either watch on TV or the iPad... This was for both live TV or a recorded show.

- Sideloader was not demoed, but I suspect it will be just a simple as that.

This is the video I was talking about....

http://www.techofthehub.com/2012/01/...emo-video.html
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 05-04-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #209
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Cool. Next question. Will it be AirPlayable?

Old 05-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #210
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Cool. Next question. Will it be AirPlayable?
I like the way you think.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote