TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #3901
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
May be time to figure out how to block software updates...
Blocking software updates is trivial, and always has been. The issue is the TiVo will eventually stop getting guide data when the release is too far out of date. (That, and the fact that unless the TiVo is modified, it will begin rebooting every morning when the software gets loaded.)
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #3902
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Blocking software updates is trivial, and always has been. The issue is the TiVo will eventually stop getting guide data when the release is too far out of date. (That, and the fact that unless the TiVo is modified, it will begin rebooting every morning when the software gets loaded.)
That's the point though, blocking software updates while maintaining all other functionality, and for Series 4 platform. Nothing trivial about that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #3903
lrhorer

Quote:
That's the point though, blocking software updates while maintaining all other functionality, and for Series 4 platform. Nothing trivial about that.
The point is the Series 2 and Series 3 boxes have the same issue. Merely blocking updates is not a long term solution on any platform, and indeed even hacking the box would not accomplish the goal you seek, that being to make a deprecated version of software functional.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #3904
DougD

Does anyone using kmttg know how to include the year a movie was made in the file title. I have four movies all named Bad Company. I would like to differentiate them by including the year made. I see how to include the year I recorded it on the Tivo but not when the film was first released.

Last edited by DougD : 03-24-2012 at 10:51 PM.
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #3905
lpwcomp

I have added ProjectX to the configuration and am able to use it to do QS Fix if I do a one time job. However, that option is greyed out for Auto Transfers.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #3906
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I have added ProjectX to the configuration and am able to use it to do QS Fix if I do a one time job. However, that option is greyed out for Auto Transfers.
Update kmttg to latest version. There was a related bug before v0p8o, see:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/release_notes

Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #3907
zonevbkr

Got a probably basic question - so sorry if I should be able to figure this out or if it's been asked before...

I'm running kmttg v0p8o on W2K8, most of the time, it works great, but sometimes, like today, I can't download anything from my TiVo Premiere.

I'll see it retry for 10 times, looks like:
<h2>Server Busy</h2>
Download failed to file: C:\kmttg\kmttg_v0p8o\Terminator Salvation-.TiVo
Exit code: 0
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

0 31 0 31 0 0 281 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 281
0 31 0 31 0 0 281 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
0 51 0 51 0 0 231 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 231
Warning: Transient problem: HTTP error Will retry in 1 seconds. 3 retries
Warning: left.
Throwing away 51 bytes

0 51 0 51 0 0 414 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 414
0 51 0 51 0 0 411 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
Warning: Transient problem: HTTP error Will retry in 2 seconds. 2 retries
Throwing away 51 bytes

0 51 0 51 0 0 424 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 424
0 51 0 51 0 0 421 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
Warning: Transient problem: HTTP error Will retry in 4 seconds. 1 retries
Throwing away 51 bytes

0 51 0 51 0 0 439 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 439
0 51 0 51 0 0 439 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0

What's Server Busy supposed to tell me? What's busy? The kmttg box is doing nothing other than kmttg. The TiVo box isn't doing much either. Network is fine, I can reach TiVo, see shows to download, etc.

What's odd, to me, is this comes and goes on it's own. Just trying to figure out the cause.

thanks,
Chris
zonevbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #3908
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonevbkr View Post
I'll see it retry for 10 times, looks like:
<h2>Server Busy</h2>
That's a message from TiVo unit web server (every TiVo unit has its own web server) as the reason for refusing a download request. Once in a while it gets in that state thinking it may be serving up a show already when it really is not and if it doesn't get out of it on its own a reboot will fix it.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #3909
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
The point is the Series 2 and Series 3 boxes have the same issue. Merely blocking updates is not a long term solution on any platform, and indeed even hacking the box would not accomplish the goal you seek, that being to make a deprecated version of software functional.
But going forward, i imagine it is possible and you could convert the tivo scheduling system to download new schedules via schedulesdirect or some other provider, such as what happened when replaytv decided to shut down its servers for schedules and the wirns community with others provided an alternative to the scheduling as a work around. At the last minute, replaytv backed off, but it showed it was/is possible and quite frankly going back to what i said before, if jailbreaking has been determined to be legal, than manipulating a tivo so you can provide your own guide service is likely also legal. Note, i am not talking about stealing tivo service, but using an alternate service provider reformatted to provide schedule info to the tivo.

Frankly, i now have a tivo 3, a tivo premiere, replaytv and a npvr tuner/software. Of those, the premiere is the slowest and worst for guide function and scheduling recording. I also comment on the tivo panel often and surveys and such and cannot understand why they continue to have the interface of the premiere so awfully slow compared to the 3. I am still under contract for the 4 but likely when that is up, i will either sell it or give it to someone and just use the 3, because the interface is so terrible and the scheduling for multiple boxes STILL doesnt work on tivos, but replaytv had this down cold in 1998. I mean geeze! On the tivo box, if i try to record something in the guide and my tuners are busy, how hard could it be to try to have the other tv record it? Tivo knows many users have multiple boxes, encourages it, yet still doesnt alow such improved functionality. Same with updating old units. Series three could have all the same recording and scheduling functionality that 4s have, but no, you must upgrade to our slower more convoluted system for that to work.

I obviously dont have the programming skills or knowledge to do such things or i would be working nightvand day on them, but hopefully somebody out there is, because the box is ours, and i really think, just like jailbreaking, what you do with it if you are not stealing service, is legal and hacking should be encouraged as usually the best things on the say ipad, replaytv or even the tivo come from others modifying the equipment, not from the improved functionality by the providers of the box. Sure apple often eventually incorporates the hacked features into later revs. Tivo just should get a clue. I mean, not havingthe abilty to remotely delete shows on a tivo 3 if you dont have a hacked box still? Ridiculous.
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #3910
Soapm

I had to fdisk my windows machine so I'm reinstalling all the applications. Setting up kmttg I got to this head scratcher, it says pyTivo.conf file is mandatory if I intend to use the push task for pushing files to your Tivos via pyTivo.

My pytivo runs on a lenny server so I don't recall having to do anything special. How do I point to this file if it's on another box or was I using another method of pushing files to my tivo??? I can't recall how it was happening.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #3911
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
My pytivo runs on a lenny server so I don't recall having to do anything special. How do I point to this file if it's on another box or was I using another method of pushing files to my tivo??? I can't recall how it was happening.
Copy the file over to a location kmttg can see.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #3912
Soapm

Quote:
Copy the file over to a location kmttg can see.
Duh... I was trying all these technical fixes like configuring my pytivo folder as a samba share etc... Without much luck I might add...

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #3913
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Duh... I was trying all these technical fixes like configuring my pytivo folder as a samba share etc... Without much luck I might add...

Thanks.
Is there some reason you don't want to run kmttg on the same machine as pyTivo?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #3914
moyekj

ferrumpneuma, what directory do you have "Encode Output Dir" set to under config->File Settings? Check that you have write permission to that directory via command line:
touch /full/path/file.touch
If the touch command fails it means you don't have write permissions

Also it would help to post the actual error messages you are getting when things are failing since those generally provide good clues as to what is wrong.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #3915
steve771

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere (didn't see this specifically), but I was doing great with kttmg and lately, I get 'download failed to file (program name) Exit code 18. Followed by a whole bunch of 'timecode' things and finally, curl: (18) transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining.

I tried an uninstall/reinstall of kttmg, same thing happens. I really liked this program as it was basically a d/l and run it and it worked.

I dont' see a fix anywhere. Is there an alternative (easy) program for kttmg?

Thanks!
steve771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #3916
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrumpneuma View Post
I have /home/user/kmttg2 as the encode output directory.

INPUT:

user@linux-box:~/kmttg2> touch kmttg2/kmttg.jar touch

OUTPUT:

touch: cannot touch `kmttg2/kmttg.jar': No such file or directory

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Above is what the input and output is. Is that a "fail"?
You are already in dir /home/user/kmttg2 when running the touch command by the looks of it. So execute:
touch file.touch

Also, post the kmttg errors you are getting.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #3917
moyekj

Quote:
When I run this nothing happens.

user@linux-j0gm:~> cd kmttg2
user@linux-j0gm:~/kmttg2> touch kmttg.jar.touch
user@linux-j0gm:~/kmttg2> touch kmttg.jar
user@linux-j0gm:~/kmttg2> touch kmttg.jar touch
user@linux-j0gm:~/kmttg2> touch file.touch
user@linux-j0gm:~/kmttg2>
That means it's probably working fine. If you execute "ls" you should see the above files are created.

The encode jobs are failing because both handbrake & ffmpeg don't like some options that are given. My guess is you have a very recent version of handbrake that doesn't like the --cpu option. To fix that you can edit encode/hb_iphone.enc and remove --cpu option and that will probably work.

The ffmpeg trouble is it doesn't like the encoding options for audio but it's less obvious how to fix it. But you can just use hb_iphone once you apply the above fix to remove --cpu option.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #3918
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve771 View Post
Apologies if this has been answered somewhere (didn't see this specifically), but I was doing great with kttmg and lately, I get 'download failed to file (program name) Exit code 18. Followed by a whole bunch of 'timecode' things and finally, curl: (18) transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining.

I tried an uninstall/reinstall of kttmg, same thing happens. I really liked this program as it was basically a d/l and run it and it worked.

I dont' see a fix anywhere. Is there an alternative (easy) program for kttmg?

Thanks!
1. Check disk space where the downloaded files are going to
2. Reboot your TiVo

Old 03-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #3919
moyekj

Quote:
Any idea why KMTTG is using ProjectX for QSfix but it not being available for the adcut?
My guess is perhaps you haven't configured kmttg for "mencoder". Though it is not used by kmttg when you have ProjectX configured I didn't update the code not to care about mencoder anymore. If you don't have mencoder installed perhaps just fool kmttg by setting mencoder to same as ffmpeg setting.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #3920
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Is there some reason you don't want to run kmttg on the same machine as pyTivo?
Yep, pytivo runs on a headless linux server...
Old 03-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #3921
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I downloaded a video from archive.org "Abbot & Costello and the Jack and the Beanstalk.mp4" (h.264)

When I pushed it to Tivo via KMTTG, it returned an error "Internal Server Error".

Should I have downloaded the other versions? .ogv (ogg Video)? .avi (Cinepack)?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 03-20-2012 at 01:26 AM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #3922
chazas

I have used kmttg on and off for years, but am only semi-tech savvy. So please be patient with me.

What is the best preset profile for iPad conversions? I just inherited an iPad and am going in a trip soon so I started converting some movies using the iPad/iPhone 4GS VRD profile. It seems to be generating much larger files than I'm used to (2GB for a movie, old iPhone files where about 800MB) and is taking forever - about 3-4 x real time per file. And this is converting SD movies.

Will this resolution look that much better? I have a few old IPhone conversions and they look decent on the iPad, very watchable.

The last time I used kmttg for iPhone conversions my firewall software was giving me fits and I couldn't accesses the VRD profiles, so I used ff iPhone. The results were almost unwatchable, so I'm leery of ff.

I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks.

Last edited by chazas : 03-20-2012 at 10:00 AM.
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #3923
steve771

Quote:
1. Check disk space where the downloaded files are going to
2. Reboot your TiVo
Disk space is fine. Rebooted Tivo. I now get the 'server busy' message. I even tried going to another computer, same issue. Wondering if something is borked with my Tivo box?
steve771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #3924
innocentfreak

Quote:
FYI I received confirmation from someone involved in TiVo beta that the next software release for US Series 4 platforms indeed does indeed kill the remote control functionality because of this tightened authentication. So unless someone can crack the password for the "cdata.p12" file that entire functionality is gone from kmttg starting with next software update. It really pi**** me off as this was the most useful capability to come our way in a long time only to get yanked away. Don't really understand the motivation given the TiVo official applications are free anyway but IMO they are very limited in functionality.
May be time to figure out how to block software updates...
This is really disappointing. I may end up switching Media Center to my primary DVR and my Elite as a backup until this happens or TiVo releases the SDK. This is assuming they actually give anyone other than a major company access.

I can't see myself going back to trying to juggle season passes on the TiVos without KMTTG. Without KMTTG's RPC functionality, Media Center becomes the easier to manage when you have as many season passes as I do.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #3925
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
This is really disappointing. I may end up switching Media Center to my primary DVR and my Elite as a backup until this happens or TiVo releases the SDK. This is assuming they actually give anyone other than a major company access.

I can't see myself going back to trying to juggle season passes on the TiVos without KMTTG. Without KMTTG's RPC functionality, Media Center becomes the easier to manage when you have as many season passes as I do.
Yes it's a huge downer. I don't use kmttg for its original intent of downloading/encoding anymore. The RPC functionality revived my interest in the project however and I use it daily for managing TiVos at home and away from home. I don't care what is in next release it's going to be a huge step down in functionality for me and is killing any interest on further development with kmttg and TiVo in general. I doubt the so-called new SDK will be made available to non-commercial developers any time soon (I did sign up for it FWIW). Only hope is if someone can crack the "cdata.p12" password file that is part of the current iOS releases. I gave that a try already a few weeks back but it looks like password is a strong password which cannot be broken in any reasonable amount of time using brute force techniques. Really down on TiVo right now.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #3926
moyekj

Quote:
I'm only familiar with the basic concept and could not set it up myself.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

BOINC is an open source distributed computing platform. There is already a public rainbow table generator project. That might help someone who knows what they are doing with such things. Maybe TiVo used a password length that is not within reach of a desktop brute force attempt but short enough to guess with some giant rainbow tables or a private distributed network of desktops attempting the brute force.

http://www.freerainbowtables.com/ <-------------link to project

If you set up a project to crack "cdata.p12" my CPU/GPU cycles are yours.
pkcs12 cracking program can be found here (supports brute force and dictionary attacks):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/crac...urce=directory
cdata.p12 file I attach with this post in cdata.zip file.
I tried dictionary attacks already without success and on an 8-thread CPU tried brute force but it only got up to 7 characters after a few days of work so would probably take a very long time to crack a long and strong password.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cdata.zip (3.6 KB, 4 views)

Old 03-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #3927
DougD

Does anyone know how to include the year a movie was made in the file title created by kmttg. I have four movies all named Bad Company. I would like to have kmttg put the year made in the title so I can differentiate between them. I see how to include the year I recorded it on the Tivo but not when the film was first released.
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #3928
cherry ghost

which encode is best for HD TV shows for the new iPad?

I adjusted the ff_ipad to

FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads CPU_CORES -vcodec libx264 -level 31 -subq 6 -me_range 16 -qmin 10 -qmax 50 -g 300 -s 1920xHEIGHT -r 29.97 -b 4000k -maxrate 8000k -acodec aac -ac 2 -ab 320k -ar 48000 -f mp4 OUTPUT

does that accomplish anything or is it a waste of time?
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #3929
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
which encode is best for HD TV shows for the new iPad?

I adjusted the ff_ipad to

FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads CPU_CORES -vcodec libx264 -level 31 -subq 6 -me_range 16 -qmin 10 -qmax 50 -g 300 -s 1920xHEIGHT -r 29.97 -b 4000k -maxrate 8000k -acodec aac -ac 2 -ab 320k -ar 48000 -f mp4 OUTPUT

does that accomplish anything or is it a waste of time?
I think I saw mention somewhere that "level" should be 41 (which is really 4.1) so if it doesn't work as you have it you can try that. You can probably bump up bit rate a little I would guess but I don't know the official specs.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #3930
cherry ghost

Quote:
I think I saw mention somewhere that "level" should be 41 (which is really 4.1) so if it doesn't work as you have it you can try that. You can probably bump up bit rate a little I would guess but I don't know the official specs.
The changes I made work, but wasn't sure if they're worth the increased file size. Stupid question: when you say bit rate, do you mean

-b 4000k -maxrate 8000k

bump those up further?

The original were

-b 2500k -maxrate 4000k
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote