TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #181
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Do you need to invoke a shell in Busybox like in Linux? In other words, do you need something like
Code:
#!/bin/sh
on the first line of your script so it invokes the interpreter?
Tried that on the first line of the script and the result was just one more

: not foundle Storage/temp/scripts/startHME.sh: line 4:

thanks

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #182
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
This may be the problem. Yes I am using notepad in windows to edit the scripts and then cp them into place on the NAS. I do not know how to edit the file from the NAS side command prompt. Any suggestions for editor on either side that I can use/install?
I assume you just have a command line prompt on the NAS.

There are several editors for Linux - I use vi because I have years of muscle memory that make it second nature to me. It's quite arcane though and I wouldn't want to try to explain it.

Most if not all linux/unix environments at least have good old ed line editor - this is what we used to program with years ago.

make a copy of your file, and try the following:
ed startHME.sh
1,$s/.$//
w
q

that should strip the last character off of every line - then give it a try
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #183
jcthorne

ed is not found on the NAS. I did find vi and a pretty good tutorial on it online. For what little I need to do I think this will work. I opened the script with vi and there was a ^M at the end of each line. I removed them, saved the file and ran it from the command line. Executed without error, I think we are getting somewhere. I just rebooted the NAS with the script in place to run...

SUCCESS!!!

Thank you, Thank you, thank you.

pytivo, HME for python with vidmgr all started from bootup and work!

Whew.

Next step is a java runtime for harmonium but I want to complete a backup of the server before going that far. I have a Java SE for x86 embeded from Oracle that another user has expressed sucess with so....

but thanks again. to everyone. Learned alot in the last few days.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #184
lrhorer

I use vi (or actually, the updated version, vim) a lot, in Linux, Solaris, and HP-UX. If you intend to use ssh to manage the files on the NAS, I suggest you get familiar with vi / vim. You could also probably implement XDMCP or an X Client solution on the NAS server along with an X server like Xming running on a Windows machine. Another alternative, however is to implement a *nix friendly Windows editor along with an integrated FTP client in order to handle file editing on the Linux box. I recommend FileZilla and Edit Plus.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #185
jbernardis

Quote:
Thank you, Thank you, thank you.

pytivo, HME for python with vidmgr all started from bootup and work!
Glad to have been of help

Old 06-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #186
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Do you need to invoke a shell in Busybox like in Linux? In other words, do you need something like
Code:
#!/bin/sh
on the first line of your script so it invokes the interpreter?
Well, he has it working, but to respond to your question, the answer is, "Yes, but No."

Unless they are doing something that I would not expect, the user login uses Busybox as its interactive shell, but init does not. Indeed, init does not employ an interactive shell. This means that inherently bootup procedures do not act in quite the same way as a user shell. That's one reason why for any service I want to start I create a run script with bash as the interpreter and call the run script from the init script. Things like nohup, environment variables, and redirection don't always work as one might expect in an init script. It also happens to be easier under Debian (or in your case, Ubuntu) to make very simple, fairly uniform modifications to the skeleton init script and then put all the details in the run script.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #187
jcthorne

Irhorer,

I just wanted to say thanks for your detailed answers to my questions. I learned a lot from your posts. Some, I may not know what I learned until later but I will come back to them.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #188
lrhorer

Quote:
Irhorer,
That's lrhorer, if you please, not irhorer.

Quote:
I just wanted to say thanks for your detailed answers to my questions. I learned a lot from your posts. Some, I may not know what I learned until later but I will come back to them.
You are very welcome. Linux is an extremely flexible and powerful operating system, but consequently it is also enormously sophisticated. Frequently it offers simple ways to skin any cat, but it also offers lots of them, which means there's a lot to know and a lot to learn.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #189
Iluvatar

I have a suggestion for wmcbrine's code in pyhme. I have had issues running pyhme on startup with the full path command (eg. 'python /Applications/pyhme/start.py') which of course fails to properly read the config file. The default suggested way to run this is to change to the pyhme directory first and then run 'python start.py' but this gives difficulties when trying to start at login ( I know jcthorne had similar issues on his Synology NAS device)

My suggested code change is this which should fix my issue and allow proper full path execution:

In start.py at line 307 change
Code:
config = SafeConfigParser()
config.read('config.ini')
to
Code:

p = os.path.dirname(__file__)
config_file = [os.path.join(p, 'config.ini')]
config.read(config_file)
This fix seems to work great for me and allows me to use my startup scripts unedited with just the full path. This should work on other devices to such as jcthorne's Synology that he had trouble with getting to work.

Last edited by Iluvatar : 07-02-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #190
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
I have a suggestion for wmcbrine's code in pyhme. I have had issues running pyhme on startup with the full path command (eg. 'python /Applications/pyhme/start.py') which of course fails to properly read the config file. The default suggested way to run this is to change to the pyhme directory first and then run 'python start.py' but this gives difficulties when trying to start at login ( I know jcthorne had similar issues on his Synology NAS device)

My suggested code change is this which should fix my issue and allow proper full path execution:

In start.py at line 307 change
Code:
config.read('config.ini')
to
Code:

p = os.path.dirname(__file__)
config_file = [os.path.join(p, 'config.ini')]
config.read(config_file)
This fix seems to work great for me and allows me to use my startup scripts unedited with just the full path. This should work on other devices to such as jcthorne's Synology that he had trouble with getting to work.
I run the delivered HME code, as is, on my Netgear readynas. I have a shell that, among other things, changes into the proper directory and then invokes "python start.py". The shell is what I invoke in my startup.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #191
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
I run the delivered HME code, as is, on my Netgear readynas. I have a shell that, among other things, changes into the proper directory and then invokes "python start.py". The shell is what I invoke in my startup.
It works for my specific situation and I just thought I would share. Since I have seen another user who had expressed the same issues I figured it may be useful.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #192
lrhorer

I'm having an isue with the applications not writing to the log file. Errors like traceback calls are properly logged, but the ordinary text output is not. I daemonize the app during startup, redirecting its output to a log file like so:

Code:
#! /bin/bash
PIDFILE=/var/run/pyHME.pid
RUNDIR=/usr/share/pyhme
LOGFILE=/var/log/pyhme.log
ERRFILE=/var/log/pyhme.err
cd $RUNDIR
/usr/bin/nohup $RUNDIR/start.py > $LOGFILE 2> $ERRFILE &
echo $! > $PIDFILE
exit 0
I've tried both the above - writing to separate log files and also writing to a combined logfile by invoking 2>&1. Neither works properly

One Linux guru has suggested it might be because the app is opening a tty, rather than writing to stdout. I don't think that's the case, because

Code:
$RUNDIR/start.py > $LOGFILE 2> $ERRFILE
works just fine. The problem of course is that does not daemonize the application. Does anyone have any ideas?

I do the same thing, BTW for pyTivo, the only obvious difference being with pyTivo, I invoke python directly in the nohup call, rather than running a script with python as the interpreter. I suppose I could try the same thing here, but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

Edit: I tried invoking Python, rather than using the embedded interpreter in the start.py file, but it doesn't seem to work.

Last edited by lrhorer : 07-22-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #193
lrhorer

Perhaps it would help to clarify a bit. I do get some info. For example, I get this from vidmgr:

Code:
192.168.1.103:42051 - - [22/Jul/2011 18:07:50] "GET /vidmgr/icon.png HTTP/1.0" 200 -
192.168.1.103:42052 - - [22/Jul/2011 18:07:55] "GET /vidmgr/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.1.103:42052 - - [22/Jul/2011 18:07:55] Starting HME: vidmgr
192.168.1.103:42052 - - [22/Jul/2011 18:08:13] Ending HME: vidmgr
192.168.1.103:42094 - - [22/Jul/2011 18:08:17] "GET /vidmgr/icon.png HTTP/1.0" 200 -
I don't, however, get the plain text messages from vidmgr or the regular messages from HME like this:

Code:
HME Server for Python 0.19
Fri Jul 22 18:10:23 2011 PyTivo Video Manager version 0.7b starting
Loading thumbnail cache
100 thumbnails loaded from cache
Fri Jul 22 18:10:23 2011 Server Starts
Registering: vidmgr

Old 07-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #194
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

So, your stderr is being redirected, but not your stdout? Because that's all stdout stuff there (which you're trying to send to pyhme.log).

Probably just a question of buffering, then.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #195
jbernardis

I could certainly add a flush to vidmgr to see if it was a buffering issue. I'm away for the weekend, but will be a able to try something sunday evening.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #196
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
So, your stderr is being redirected, but not your stdout?
Well, sort of. By default, nohup redirects stderr to stdin, so that any output sent to those two ports should get re-directed to the same target. Also by default, nohup creates a file named nohup.out where the outputs are sent. Explicitly redirecting any or all of these will override the default. This is all seemingly working properly, as long as I don't detach the process (using "&"). With no explicit redirection, nohup creates the nohup.out file and sends stdout and stderr to it. If I explicitly redirect only stdout, then nohup.out is not created and both streams go to the file specified by the redirection. If I explicitly redirect only stderr, then nohup.put is created and stdout goes to it, while stderr goes to the specified file. If I explicitly redirect both streams, then they each go to the file(s) specifically named in the redirect, and once again nohup.out is not created. This all works as documented in the nohup man page. When I detach the process using "&", however, the stdout evaporates.

Quote:
Because that's all stdout stuff there (which you're trying to send to pyhme.log).
Wel, I don't know what it is supposed to be, but if I redirect stdout to pyhme.log and stderr to pyhme.err via the following

Code:
/usr/bin/nohup $RUNDIR/start.py > $LOGFILE 2> $ERRFILE
then

Code:
Loading thumbnail cache
shows up in pyhme.log, and

Code:
192.168.1.103:42051 - - [22/Jul/2011 18:07:50] "GET /vidmgr/icon.png HTTP/1.0" 200 -
192.168.1.103:42094 - - [22/Jul/2011 18:08:17] "GET /vidmgr/icon.png HTTP/1.0" 200 -
shows up in pyhme.err. If I redirect both to pyhme.log via the following

Code:
/usr/bin/nohup $RUNDIR/start.py > $LOGFILE
then both show up in pyhme.log, or if I don't redirect anything, then nohup shoves them both to nohup.out, all as it should be. When I detach the process using "&", then this

Code:
Loading thumbnail cache
disappears.

Quote:
Probably just a question of buffering, then.
Howso?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #197
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
I could certainly add a flush to vidmgr to see if it was a buffering issue. I'm away for the weekend, but will be a able to try something sunday evening.
Hmm. Isn't this:

Code:
from HME for Python, not vidmgr? If so, how would flushing the vidmgr buffers help, and why doesn't subsequent text from vidmgr come through? What's more, I am having trouble seeing how an unflushed buffer could eliminate text on both sides (separated by several minutes) of

Code:
yet allows the stuff in the middle through.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #198
jwagner010

Does anyone have a simple python program developed that shows a list of menu items on the Tivo that when selected executes a sub process that I can leverage?
jwagner010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #199
jwagner010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwagner010 View Post
Does anyone have a simple python program developed that shows a list of menu items on the Tivo that when selected executes a sub process that I can leverage?
I found a TIVO HME App that provides a Tivo menu based on a properties file that then executes URLs from that properties file. See URLMenu on this page http://david.blackledge.com/tivo/

urlmenu.properties should have entries like so:
My\ First\ Menu=http://url.to.be.executed.com/with/other?information
My\ Second\ Menu=http://url.to.be.executed.com/with/other?information

Problem is it is based on the the JAVA HME not Python HME. I would like to build a similar app/plugin for the Python HME but do not know Python. Does anyone know of a similar app or can point me in the right direction to try and figure it out bearing in mind I have very basic programing skills (1980's basic) and zero of that is with Python.

PS. rather than execute URLs it would be good if it can execute OS commands, and if I want a URL to be executed I can do a wget or curl.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #200
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I would like to build a similar app/plugin for the Python HME but do not know Python.
OK. Why then?

Take a look at HME/VLC for one way to do menus...

Old 03-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #201
jwagner010

I will take a look at HME/VLC. Thanks

I want to do this for two reasons, both very similar:

1) From my Tivo I want to be able to turn on and off my lights in the house. My home automation controller has a REST interface so I want to send HTTP GET requests (preferrably through wget) to turn on and off my lights based on menu selections on the Tivo.

2) Simlar to 1) above I would like to be able to control my home audio system that also has a similar interface.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #202
lrhorer

Hey, that's rather cool. It would be nice to be able to control the lights and the projector sreen in the theater.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #203
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No, I mean, why do you want to do it in Python, if you don't know Python anyway? Why not just use David Blackledge's program?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #204
jwagner010

For two reasons:

1). David's program doesn't let you pass user id and password with the URL get

2) I run the server on a nas that doesn't have java but does have python

On a seperate note I installed HMEVLC. Very cool. Has anyone connected an IP camera to this? I might try stream the mjpeg from a couple of Foscam cameras at home

Last edited by jwagner010 : 03-02-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #205
jwagner010

Quote:
On a seperate note I installed HMEVLC. Very cool. Has anyone connected an IP camera to this? I might try stream the mjpeg from a couple of Foscam cameras at home
I figured out the http to get the mjpeg stream from my camera but I cannot get vlc to run on my synology nas due to the way vlc and dbus are installed. I was told that I need to use the following syntax: "dbus-launch cvlc -I http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1368162"

Any suggestions on the python code that needs to change to make this happen?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #206
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You shouldn't need to modify the code. Just add a line to config.ini, in the hmevlc section:

vlc = cvlc

(but give the full path). I don't think you should need dbus. (?)

Old 03-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #207
jwagner010

Quote:
You shouldn't need to modify the code. Just add a line to config.ini, in the hmevlc section:

vlc = cvlc

(but give the full path). I don't think you should need dbus. (?)
I tried your suggestion but I think I need the dbus syntax. When I add vlc=/fullpath/cvlc it throws the following errors. My (very limited) understanding is the x11 error is due to this being run on a NAS

192.168.0.5:49832 - - [04/Mar/2012 00:12:13] Ending HME: hmevlc
192.168.0.5:50850 - - [04/Mar/2012 00:39:58] "GET /hmevlc/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.0.5:50850 - - [04/Mar/2012 00:39:58] Starting HME: hmevlc
VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
[00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
[00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=i386-pc-linux-gnu' '--host=i686-linux-gnu' '--target=i686-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/opt' '--enable-v4l' '--disable-v4l2' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-x264' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-a52' '--enable-dvdnav' '--with-dvdnav-config-path=/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/staging/opt/bin' '--enable-faad' '--enable-flac' '--disable-gnutls' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-png' '--disable-remoteosd' '--enable-shout' '--enable-speex' '--enable-vorbis' '--disable-alsa' '--disable-dca' '--disable-glx' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--disable-libcdio' '--disable-libcddb' '--disable-screen' '--disable-sdl' '--disable-wxwidgets' '--disable-skins2' '--disable-x11' '--disable-nls' '--disable-static' 'build_alias=i386-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-linux-gnu' 'target_alias=i686-linux-gnu' 'CC=/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/toolchain/gcc-4.2.1-glibc-2.3.6/i686-linux-gnu/bin/i686-linux-gnu-gcc' 'LDFLAGS= -L/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/staging/opt/lib -Wl,-rpath,/opt/lib -Wl,-rpath-link,/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/staging/opt/lib ' 'CPPFLAGS=-O2 -O2 -pipe -I/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/staging/opt/include -I/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/staging/opt/include/ncurses' 'CPP=/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/toolchain/gcc-4.2.1-glibc-2.3.6/i686-linux-gnu/bin/i686-linux-gnu-gcc -E' 'CXX=/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/toolchain/gcc-4.2.1-glibc-2.3.6/i686-linux-gnu/bin/i686-linux-gnu-g++' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/staging/opt/lib/pkgconfig'
[00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
[00000298] inhibit interface error: Failed to connect to the D-Bus session daemon: /opt/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: Autolaunch requested, but X11 support not compiled in.
Cannot continue.

[00000298] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[00000001] main libvlc error: interface "inhibit,none" initialization failed
[00000300] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[00000306] main access out: creating httpd
[00000306] main access out error: socket bind error (Permission denied)
[00000306] main access out error: socket bind error (Permission denied)
[00000306] main access out error: cannot create socket(s) for HTTP host
[00000306] access_output_http access out error: cannot listen on port 9028
[00000305] stream_out_standard stream out error: no suitable sout access module for `http/ps://:9028'
[00000303] stream_out_transcode stream out error: cannot create chain
[00000302] main stream output error: stream chain failed for `transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=2048,acodec=a52,ab=384,audio-sync,samplerate=48000,fps=30}:std{access=http,dst=:9028,mux= ps}'
[00000301] main input error: cannot start stream output instance, aborting

Any suggestions on what I need to change in the python code in order to be able to use the dbus syntax (dbus-launch cvlc -I http://urltocall) in the call to cvlc ?

Last edited by jwagner010 : 03-05-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #208
jpolk5000

Greetings All,

I was unaware of pyHME until today....Hats off to Mr. McBride!

I've been using Python and Qt for several years, and having been a TiVo user
for over 15 years, I, like many others I'm sure, have a lot of ideas I'd like to try
to implement.

Where can I download the pyHME module?

Cheers,
jpolk5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #209
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolk5000 View Post
Hats off to Mr. McBride!
Thanks, but it's McBrine.

Quote:
Where can I download the pyHME module?
It's linked from the first post in the thread, and in my sig...

Old 03-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #210
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolk5000 View Post
having been a TiVo user
for over 15 years
That seems unlikely, since the TiVo was introduced in 1999. Even if you participated in one of the service trials in 1998, that would still only be a little over 13 years.