TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
davevt98

Tivo Series 3 Hard Drive Failure - HELP!

I'm sure this has been asked but I have been sitting at the computer for hours trying to figure this out. My lifetime series 3 hard drive went bad and I am trying to restore an image. The image file is mfs and I am working on a mac using parallels to boot into windows 7. I can load linux but the mfsrestore function cannot find the mfs file. Also, my destination drive is a usb sata enclosure so I am not sure what to put in the command line.

I am going absolutely crazy here as I need to have my tivo back. Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you.
davevt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
teasip

Two things. One, are you logged into Windows as the administrator? You have to be under admin for MFSLive to see the file. If that is good then you should be able to transfer it to a new drive, UNLESS it is a WD Green HD that you will need to run widdle(?) on to avoid the reboot issue. At that point the new drive would have to be connected via SATA to do so (so others say, I've never had to do it).

Last edited by teasip : 03-11-2012 at 09:46 AM.
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevt98 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked but I have been sitting at the computer for hours trying to figure this out. My lifetime series 3 hard drive went bad and I am trying to restore an image. The image file is mfs and I am working on a mac using parallels to boot into windows 7. I can load linux but the mfsrestore function cannot find the mfs file. Also, my destination drive is a usb sata enclosure so I am not sure what to put in the command line.

I am going absolutely crazy here as I need to have my tivo back. Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you.
Check out the link below. You may have an issue where the MFSLive tools CD cannot find your CD drive with the image file. I had this problem with my laptop so I followed the directions to copy the image to a flash drive, boot the MFSLive CD, and then mount the flash drive with the image.

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1734
Old 03-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
teasip

Nevermind. I am seeing that you have the original drive file backed up, correct? All you're wanting to do is to restore it to a new HD? Make sure as I previously noted that you are logged in as the Windows admin to be able to have MFSLive see the file. I have never had to use the CD, only the downloaded program while logged in as Windows admin (VMWare Fusion running XP myself). The only potential hiccup is if you're using a WD Green HD at which point you can't use your external USB drive case if you need to run the "widdle" program.
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
davevt98

Ending up finding a tbk file which made the process a cinch with the winmfs. However, I have a 2tb drive that I was replacing the stock 250gb drive. After doing the mfssupersize and expanding the space for the extra room, my tivo does not show any extra hours - just 35 hours hd.

It is working which is the main thing but I hate every all that extra room just going to waste. Did I do something wrong on the restore?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
davevt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevt98 View Post
Ending up finding a tbk file which made the process a cinch with the winmfs. However, I have a 2tb drive that I was replacing the stock 250gb drive. After doing the mfssupersize and expanding the space for the extra room, my tivo does not show any extra hours - just 35 hours hd.

It is working which is the main thing but I hate every all that extra room just going to waste. Did I do something wrong on the restore?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
You have the original OLED "thermometer front" S3, the TCD648250, correct?

It was the original 250GB drive that went bad?

You're replacing it with a 2TB?

You might not be able to use more than 1.1TB + 250GB on the single internal drive on that model.

See #16 here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote