TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #901
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2r22 View Post
I just registered to let you know that the winmfs image worked just fine for me just now when I put it on the original HD that came in the TCD648250B.

Somehow my disk got corrupted and it was showing in winmfs as not a tivo drive. I restored your .tbk image onto it and it worked fine after a single green screen to do somethings. It went right into guided setup -> Green Screen on first reboot for about 10-15 minutes or so rebooted -> Guided setup -> C&DE -> Guided Setup to working perfectly right now.

I did have a bad cap on the Power supply that did get replaced before I restored the image first however, so that might be an issue for the other person.

Thanks for the feedback.

Since the image came from a machine with a different TiVo Service Number from your unit's number, it caused some temporary indigestion as it did whatever it needed to do to prevent you watching videos recorded on someone else's TiVo in order to keep the content owners happy and to keep people from getting much use out of unsubscribed TiVos.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #902
motorcycle_rider

Looking for an image for a TDC130040. Does anyone have one they would like to share?
motorcycle_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #903
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle_rider View Post
Looking for an image for a TDC130040. Does anyone have one they would like to share?
Somewhere I think classicsat posted as to whether 130s and 230s can use the same software as 140s and 240s, but I can't find the post, although in trying I discovered that you said TDC instead of TCD, which may be interferring with your own search attempts.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #904
motorcycle_rider

Hmmm, I will attempt the 230 as I have that image....I will also attempt to search for the proper phrase. Thanks for pointing that out.
motorcycle_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #905
bplanders

Looking for an image for a Hughes SD-DVR80. My hard drive failed.

Thanks for any help.

Brian
Old 03-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #906
lotsanos2

Thumbs up

Thanks to unitron for 648250b image from post #831.
Hard drive in my unit died a sudden death and thanks to this forum and image from unitron was up and running in no time.
lotsanos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #907
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsanos2 View Post
Thanks to unitron for 648250b image from post #831.
Hard drive in my unit died a sudden death and thanks to this forum and image from unitron was up and running in no time.
Thanks for confirming that it works, I don't have a 648 on which to test it.

Did you use MFS Live (a .bak file) or WinMFS (a .tbk file)?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #908
lotsanos2

WinMFS with .tbk Using Windows 7 as admin.

Used a 500g drive from a external enclosure used with windows. Simply added to pc using sata, booted, opened WinMFS immedeately as admin from desktop location, select drive, select file from drop down menu, used all default setting when WinMFS opened, installed after warning would loose info on disk, when asked confirmed the disk size increase.
Total time from file download to install drive in Tivo around 15 min.
Upon rebooting Tivo, same general experience as s2r22 from post #900. After the mentioned two rounds of setup including downloads and scans, this part took about 1.5 hours. Result start to finish aprox 1.75 hours of time, no money and a fully functional Tivo.

Once again Thanks to all for the info on this forum.

Last edited by lotsanos2 : 03-25-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Update
lotsanos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #909
chickey

EDIT: Nevermind. I did a lot more searching through this thread and located posts from unitron that I will try now.

hello-

Looking for an image for a TCD540040. Hard drive died and my other Series2 TiVo is a different model. I originally thought I could just image that but apparently that does not work.

TIA

-katia

Last edited by chickey : 03-27-2012 at 12:01 PM.
chickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #910
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickey View Post
EDIT: Nevermind. I did a lot more searching through this thread and located posts from unitron that I will try now.

hello-

Looking for an image for a TCD540040. Hard drive died and my other Series2 TiVo is a different model. I originally thought I could just image that but apparently that does not work.

TIA

-katia
I hope you downloaded both versions (.bak and .tbk) regardless of which you wind up using, so as to keep them alive on the server.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #911
chickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I hope you downloaded both versions (.bak and .tbk) regardless of which you wind up using, so as to keep them alive on the server.
I sure did! I saw you had mentioned that prior.

Unfortunately, the TiVo just hangs at Welcome Powering Up. Going to try swapping the IDE cable tomorrow and see what happens. If you have any other ideas they would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #912
unitron

Quote:
I sure did! I saw you had mentioned that prior.

Unfortunately, the TiVo just hangs at Welcome Powering Up. Going to try swapping the IDE cable tomorrow and see what happens. If you have any other ideas they would be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps you need to learn about bad capacitors and visually inspect the TiVo's power supply.

Also get the manufacurer's diagnostic software and run the long test on the 540's original drive and, if you used a replacement drive, that one as well.

For a Maxtor drive, use Seagate's Seatools.

Let's be sure we know what the problem is.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #913
chickey

Quote:
Perhaps you need to learn about bad capacitors and visually inspect the TiVo's power supply.

Also get the manufacurer's diagnostic software and run the long test on the 540's original drive and, if you used a replacement drive, that one as well.

For a Maxtor drive, use Seagate's Seatools.

Let's be sure we know what the problem is.
hmm problem presented itself with TiVo constantly rebooting. It would get almost fully booted up, navigating menus would be extremely slow, then it would reboot.

Tried to use orig drive to image using mfstools and it would error out after a while. didn't run any disk tools on it but couldn't get a good image out of it.

I have about 3-5 different old IDE drives ranging from 80G/120G/250G that i've been trying different images on and always stuck at welcome powering up. Only thing replaced thus far is the HD.

Used second TiVo also 540 model and backed up using mfstools and restored to new drive. Placed in broken TiVO and hung at powering up.

Downloading both of your images and tried to restore and also hung at powering up.

Headed home to find different IDE cable to try. Hesitant to fiddle to much with working TiVo as I don't want to break that too.

My hunch is that the welcome powering up is a default splash screen prior to the hdd being accessed so after a few hard drives and images if always the same message, perhaps it might be the IDE cable.

btw no bad noises on any of the hard drives.. no clicking and they all spin up.

Original drive in broke TiVo was 40G, second TiVo is 80G so had some issues when trying to restore 80G backup to a diff 80G drive due to number of sectors which is why i tried 120G and 250G drives.

desperate to resurrect the poor TiVo!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #914
unitron

Quote:
hmm problem presented itself with TiVo constantly rebooting. It would get almost fully booted up, navigating menus would be extremely slow, then it would reboot.

Tried to use orig drive to image using mfstools and it would error out after a while. didn't run any disk tools on it but couldn't get a good image out of it.

I have about 3-5 different old IDE drives ranging from 80G/120G/250G that i've been trying different images on and always stuck at welcome powering up. Only thing replaced thus far is the HD.

Used second TiVo also 540 model and backed up using mfstools and restored to new drive. Placed in broken TiVO and hung at powering up.

Downloading both of your images and tried to restore and also hung at powering up.

Headed home to find different IDE cable to try. Hesitant to fiddle to much with working TiVo as I don't want to break that too.

My hunch is that the welcome powering up is a default splash screen prior to the hdd being accessed so after a few hard drives and images if always the same message, perhaps it might be the IDE cable.

btw no bad noises on any of the hard drives.. no clicking and they all spin up.

Original drive in broke TiVo was 40G, second TiVo is 80G so had some issues when trying to restore 80G backup to a diff 80G drive due to number of sectors which is why i tried 120G and 250G drives.

desperate to resurrect the poor TiVo!
Let me attempt to decipher.

You have a TCD540040 with a 40GB Maxtor drive with a fat LBA number, and that TiVo is currently "sick".

You have a TCD540080 with an 80GB Maxtor, also with a fat LBA number, and it's currently functional.

Do you feel competent to swap power supplies between the two?

Edit:

The original "Welcome" screen is contained on a chip on the motherboard and should appear when you plug in the TiVo even if you have no hard drive in the TiVo.

The "just a few more minutes" screen is on the hard drive, and if you see it, that means the motherboard is able to access the hard drive, at least somewhat.

Last edited by unitron : 03-28-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Add stuff about boot screens
Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #915
chickey

Quote:
Let me attempt to decipher.

You have a TCD540040 with a 40GB Maxtor drive with a fat LBA number, and that TiVo is currently "sick".

You have a TCD540080 with an 80GB Maxtor, also with a fat LBA number, and it's currently functional.

Do you feel competent to swap power supplies between the two?

Edit:

The original "Welcome" screen is contained on a chip on the motherboard and should appear when you plug in the TiVo even if you have no hard drive in the TiVo.

The "just a few more minutes" screen is on the hard drive, and if you see it, that means the motherboard is able to access the hard drive, at least somewhat.
I appreciate your help and I apologize if my original message was unclear or not easy to decipher.

I have a TCD540040 w/ a Maxtor 40G drive (original) which is sick
I have a T800 (Humax) w/ a Maxtor 80G drive (original) which is working

When attempting to take an image off the 40G drive, the drive was reporting i/o errors which is why i suspected bad disk. It is just in all my attempts to drop an image on a new hard drive have also failed. However today, some progress was made.

I had a 250G Maxtor drive where i took an image of the 80G Humax (backup) and restored to the 250G and did the "add" and it worked. So working TiVo is upgraded - yay

I took the 80G and put that in the broke TiVo and it booted all the way up! It threw an error when it got into the TiVo menu about there being an error and won't record but i suspected/wondered if that was because it was a T800 image not the 540 image.

The other drives i have are all WD. I have a 120G and an 80G that I was attempting to restore the 540 image (from you) on which never got past the bootloader (Welcome powering up)

So now I can either try restoring the 540 image from you onto the Maxtor hdd from the original T800 series, or i need to figure out why when restoring the 540 image to one of the WD drives it is failing.

btw, thanks for confirming the welcome powering up was not accessing the drive. Before I got your message i actually tried booting the tivo today without a hdd attached and found that out as well.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #916
unitron

Quote:
I appreciate your help and I apologize if my original message was unclear or not easy to decipher.

I have a TCD540040 w/ a Maxtor 40G drive (original) which is sick
I have a T800 (Humax) w/ a Maxtor 80G drive (original) which is working

When attempting to take an image off the 40G drive, the drive was reporting i/o errors which is why i suspected bad disk. It is just in all my attempts to drop an image on a new hard drive have also failed. However today, some progress was made.

I had a 250G Maxtor drive where i took an image of the 80G Humax (backup) and restored to the 250G and did the "add" and it worked. So working TiVo is upgraded - yay

I took the 80G and put that in the broke TiVo and it booted all the way up! It threw an error when it got into the TiVo menu about there being an error and won't record but i suspected/wondered if that was because it was a T800 image not the 540 image.

The other drives i have are all WD. I have a 120G and an 80G that I was attempting to restore the 540 image (from you) on which never got past the bootloader (Welcome powering up)

So now I can either try restoring the 540 image from you onto the Maxtor hdd from the original T800 series, or i need to figure out why when restoring the 540 image to one of the WD drives it is failing.

btw, thanks for confirming the welcome powering up was not accessing the drive. Before I got your message i actually tried booting the tivo today without a hdd attached and found that out as well.
Would you rather use the 250 in the 540 or the Humax?

If the 540 will boot up with a Humax drive in it, it'll boot up with a drive big enough to take the TCD540040 image I put online.

Are you using WinMFS or the MFS Live cd?

Old 03-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #917
chickey

Quote:
Would you rather use the 250 in the 540 or the Humax?

If the 540 will boot up with a Humax drive in it, it'll boot up with a drive big enough to take the TCD540040 image I put online.

Are you using WinMFS or the MFS Live cd?
Keep the 250G in the Humax now, it is working and i closed the lid to stop mucking with it. I had tried your 540 image on the 250G and it didn't work initially. The Humax seems newer based off the versions on the parts inside so going to keep the 250G in the Humax.

I'm using WinMFS and also mfstools on ubuntu. Any reason restoring to a WD drive wouldn't work? I have yet to restore onto the Humax 80G with the 540 image, but thinking about it...

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #918
unitron

Quote:
Keep the 250G in the Humax now, it is working and i closed the lid to stop mucking with it. I had tried your 540 image on the 250G and it didn't work initially. The Humax seems newer based off the versions on the parts inside so going to keep the 250G in the Humax.

I'm using WinMFS and also mfstools on ubuntu. Any reason restoring to a WD drive wouldn't work? I have yet to restore onto the Humax 80G with the 540 image, but thinking about it...

Thanks!
You can't restore the TCD540040 image onto a WD 40GB because it has a slightly smaller LBA number than the Maxtor 40GB from which I took the image, but if that WD is an 80 or larger there should be no problem.

If you haven't already downloaded the zip of the .iso of the MFS Live cd v1.4 from mfslive.org, go ahead and do so and unzip it and burn yourself a copy just to have handy for messing with hard drives in general.

It's the most recent version of MFS Tools.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #919
chickey

Quote:
You can't restore the TCD540040 image onto a WD 40GB because it has a slightly smaller LBA number than the Maxtor 40GB from which I took the image, but if that WD is an 80 or larger there should be no problem.

If you haven't already downloaded the zip of the .iso of the MFS Live cd v1.4 from mfslive.org, go ahead and do so and unzip it and burn yourself a copy just to have handy for messing with hard drives in general.

It's the most recent version of MFS Tools.
My broke TiVo is alive! your image on a WD 80G drive booted! I also downloaded and burned MFS Live CD per your recommendation.

thanks so much. just as a hint, i had the jumpers wrong at first on the WD drive which is why it wasn't getting past the bootloader. I initially had it set for Master but it needs to be "single" apparently

-katia
Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #920
unitron

Quote:
My broke TiVo is alive! your image on a WD 80G drive booted! I also downloaded and burned MFS Live CD per your recommendation.

thanks so much. just as a hint, i had the jumpers wrong at first on the WD drive which is why it wasn't getting past the bootloader. I initially had it set for Master but it needs to be "single" apparently

-katia
Moving drives back and forth between computer and TiVo, jumper settings have caught many of us not paying sufficient attention.

If your TiVo has the 80 conductor 40 pin type cable, then, depending on the drive, you might get away with jumpering as Master, but at the factory they set them for Cable Select, and I don't think you can go wrong doing it that way.

If it's an older TiVo with a 40 conductor 40 pin cable, then you do need to set it as Master.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #921
chickey

Quote:
Moving drives back and forth between computer and TiVo, jumper settings have caught many of us not paying sufficient attention.

If your TiVo has the 80 conductor 40 pin type cable, then, depending on the drive, you might get away with jumpering as Master, but at the factory they set them for Cable Select, and I don't think you can go wrong doing it that way.

If it's an older TiVo with a 40 conductor 40 pin cable, then you do need to set it as Master.
Not only not paying attention but also i'm just ignorant The Maxtor drive I had dropped in was set to Master so I assumed the WD should be as well. I found on one of the pages about MFS Live the jumper settings and changed it and booted right up.

Thanks for all your help!

-katia
Old 03-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #922
unitron

Quote:
Not only not paying attention but also i'm just ignorant The Maxtor drive I had dropped in was set to Master so I assumed the WD should be as well. I found on one of the pages about MFS Live the jumper settings and changed it and booted right up.

Thanks for all your help!

-katia
Delighted it all worked out for you. Enjoy all that Tivo-y goodness.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #923
rjaiswal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjaiswal View Post
I also thought it was a power supply issue as well. The reason is that some of the caps on the PS were alot bigger than they were supposed to be. So, i ordered a new one from weakness. After installing it, I still had the same problem. I ran kickstart 58, and got to a new screen, Installing updates... however, after it rebooted, it still wouldn't go past Just a few more minutes... I'm now looking on ebay for a cheap series 3 with a stock HD, so I can pull and through into my Tivo to see if there is something else wrong with it.

All this, because the unit has a lifetime subscription, that I already transferred once from my series 1... :-)

Will keep you posted on what I find...

thanks for the help!

Riten
Hi Unitron!

I do apologize for the late reply. Things at work and home took over my time in tinkering with my Series 3. I have an update. I was able to acquire a working series 3 with stock HD off of ebay. It arrived, and I immediately took the stock drive out and put it in my Tivo. The Tivo wouldn't boot... :-( So, I put the drive back in the newly purchased series 3 and it booted up there. I decided that I didn't want to mess with any kickstart codes using the original HD in my tivo, for fear of corruption. I cloned the drive to one of the WD drives I had. The cloned drive booted up in the new Tivo. When I tried to boot off the cloned drive in my Tivo, no joy. I didn't get past the screen that is burned into the firmware. I tried the backup boot partition, ran kickstart 57 and 58, but still could not get the cloned drive to boot in my Tivo. I now think that there is either a SATA controller issue, or a RAM issue. I have resigned myself to losing that lifetime subscription. On the bright side, I've learned quite a bit on hacking virtual machines to see "raw" disks. :-)

I hear you are looking for storage... I have a dropbox account that has 50GB free... Please PM me, and I'll hook you up. It's the least I can do, since your help has been invaluable to me and everyone in this forum.

Sincerely,

Riten
rjaiswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #924
MungoJerrie

Looking for an image for a Toshiba SD-H400, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
MungoJerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #925
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
I'm looking for an image for a Tivo TCD24004A, any guidance on where I can find one is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Do you need an image that will fit on the original 40GB drive, or do you have a larger replacement?

Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #926
hutchla

Hi, Does anyone have an image for a Tivo HD 160 GB - TCD652160? My original HD died. I have a spare 160GB. Thanks!
hutchla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #927
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchla View Post
Hi, Does anyone have an image for a Tivo HD 160 GB - TCD652160? My original HD died. I have a spare 160GB. Thanks!
Yes, I do. One for restoring via MFS Live and one to be used with WinMFS.

Links to them are cleverly hidden in this thread and you might have to go so far as to click on the "Search this thread" button near the top of the page and insert the secret code TCD652160

And if you don't have a dropbox account of your own (not necessary for downloading), if you let me extend an invitation to you and sign up with them that way, we both get extra free storage space. Email or PM me, or if you aren't allowed to without more posts, say so and I'll contact you if you enable it on your user preferences.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #928
GBK33

Anyone have an image for a premiere box?
GBK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #929
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBK33 View Post
They don't exist. There is no way to create a truncated backup of a Premiere.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #930
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBK33 View Post
It's on the original drive weaknees removed when they put the bigger one in.