TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
andywierling

Trying to update two DirecTivos

Hi -

Two questions please:

1) I have a Hughes HDVR2 - works fine, but has a small hard drive. I just bought someone else's HDVR2 on Ebay, with a much larger hard drive... Since I've read DirecTV will not let me add the "new to me" HDVR2, my plan is to pull out the larger drive and swap it into my HDVR2... Anything special I need to do to make that work ?

2) I also have a Philips DSR6000 that seems to have some issues (color going out, among other things). I was able to get a "new" motherboard replacement for it. Anything special I need to do to get that working, once I swap that into my unit ?

Thanks for any advice you may have for me...
andywierling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

In both cases a "Reset and Clear Everything" will be required to re-initialize the encryption between the hard drive and motherboard. Be sure you have working phone connection for the initial Guided Setup required after you perform the "Reset and Clear Everything".

Note that your Philips issues might actually be related to the Power Supply, not the motherboard.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
magnus
Tivo User

Don't swap the drives on the HDVR2. Instead you should just put your old card into the new to you box and refresh your services on the Directv site. Then you should be able to use the new box with your old card. The HDVR2 is non-rid and you should be able to just swap boxes in the manner that I just described.

Edit: After re-reading your post. Keep the original HDVR2... since there is nothing wrong with it. And swap out the DSR6000 card with the new HDVR2 box. The refresh services. DO NOT clear and delete because from the sound of it... there is no reason to change drives. The end result will be two working HDVR2s on your account. The only thing is that Directv will still think you have an HDVR2 and a DSR6000.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote