TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #91
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
I can't imagine FFmpeg has any issue transcoding or remuxing (if appropriate) a .mts file. What issues are you running into?

AVCHD is just h264 w audio in a MPEGTS container right?
my mistake, it was steambaby that won't stream the .mts files. pytivo transfers and plays them just fine. fantastic!

now we need a group project to get the 'photo' section working, but i'm not looking forward to diving into the python image library swamp.

/guy
Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #92
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You need a group project to follow this? Or this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #93
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
You need a group project to follow this? Or this?
the method at the 2nd link seems more palatable with me than the 1st link where you install an alternate or parallel unix path or self-contained structure within the unix framework. i used to do this same thing several years ago, although i can't recall the name of the project, but it was a bear to keep updated and maintained and i finally dropped it.

i'll try the download and build option later this evening and let you know how it works. i'm comfortable with the shell and i like that i can see every step as opposed to depending on a canned batch script.

thanks!

/guy
Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #94
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
the method at the 2nd link seems more palatable with me than the 1st link where you install an alternate or parallel unix path or self-contained structure within the unix framework. i used to do this same thing several years ago, although i can't recall the name of the project, but it was a bear to keep updated and maintained and i finally dropped it.

i'll try the download and build option later this evening and let you know how it works. i'm comfortable with the shell and i like that i can see every step as opposed to depending on a canned batch script.

thanks!

/guy
Here is the DIY instructions. It requires downloading Xcode and 2 source packages.

1. Install Xcode (from Mac App Store or your OS X Installation disc)
- This is the 'compiler' and is required to build the following libraries.

2. Install IJG Library (jpeg library)
- Grab - http://www.ijg.org/files/jpegsrc.v8d.tar.gz
- Extract downloaded file
- Using Terminal enter the jpeg-8d folder (command below)
- Build and install library, 4 separate commands to enter:
Code:
cd /Users/iluvatar/Desktop/jpeg-8d

./configure

sudo make 

sudo make install
Just make sure the 'cd' command is representative of where you extracted the jpeg-8d folder to.
sudo means to temporarily elevate system privileges to install system level software. You will need to enter your admin password for this when prompted.

3. Install PIL
- Grab http://effbot.org/downloads/Imaging-1.1.7.tar.gz
- Extract downloaded file
- Using Terminal enter the Imaging-1.1.7 folder (command below)
- Build and install library, 2 separate commands to enter:
Code:
cd /Users/iluvatar/Desktop/Imaging-1.1.7

sudo python setup.py install
Just make sure the 'cd' command is representative of where you extracted the PIL folder to.

4. Setup pyTivo photo share
- Edit pyTivo.conf to add your photo share (either with WebAdmin or manually)
Code:
[Photos]
type = photo
path = /Users/iluvatar/Pictures/
5. Restart pyTivo and ensure TiVo has 'Home Network Applications' enabled

Photo share will be listed in TiVo Central -> Music & Photos

Keep in mind pyTivo does not utilize the native iPhoto album structure. Unless you have folders of pictures outside iPhoto or other library I honestly don't feel it is worth using. I'm certain however some industrious person can take these instructions and make them understandable to the masses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and
for OS X

Last edited by Iluvatar : 02-28-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #95
gteague
golftango

Quote:
<del>
Keep in mind pyTivo does not utilize the native iPhoto album structure. Unless you have folders of pictures outside iPhoto or other library I honestly don't feel it is worth using. <del>
the tivo desktop prefpane actually does an excellent job of linking into your iphoto library. i need the python support for loose images that aren't in the iphoto library and tivo desktop doesn't allow for that.

tks for the instructions. i tried them and in the first build i encountered this error:

Code:
error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
you think this is because the newest xcode is no longer in the Developer directory and is now a standalone app in the /Applications directory? what's the command to show the env variable $PATH? it's not export, is it?

... it's printenv. PATH is PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

... xcodebuild is in user/bin but i have no idea if that includes the compiler. isn't the compiler named 'gcc'? nothing like that in there. and frankly, i don't even understand how xcode works now without that huge Developer directory--all of that is just gone completely. surely there was useful stuff in there, right? like usb diagnostic utilities.

... i'm installing the xcode command-line tools to see if it shakes free the compiler that build needs.

a locate of gcc seems to indicate gcc is in the xcode pkg or the xcode.app. hepefully when these command line tools download and install it'll place a copy of gcc in that PATH.

... aha! now there's a gcc in /usr/bin. brb while i continue with your instructions.

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 02-28-2012 at 09:53 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #96
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Keep in mind pyTivo does not utilize the native iPhoto album structure. Unless you have folders of pictures outside iPhoto or other library I honestly don't feel it is worth using.
I suspect it would be easy to knock up an iPhoto plugin for pyTivo. I'm just not motivated to do it, because I never use iPhoto myself (or any other photo organizer). I just have folders of pictures.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #97
gteague
golftango

oh, as h rider haggard put it in she long before golfers came to hate it being shouted at them: 'you are indeed the man!'

once that path issue was worked out (have you installed the new xcode yet? evidently, if you uninstall the previous version you lose the gcc until you install command line tools in the components tab of the new xcode prefs), that went entirely without a hitch. can't thank you enough. i now have music and photos working with pytivo as well as tivo desktop and now if tivo desktop goes away i will miss it hardly at all because, like @wmcbrine, i don't put very much into libraries anyway. and especially not now if lion is going to take away the 'save as' command. not having that command with images its just impossible for me to keep track of what the system is doing with versions.

yet, still ... [g] is there a way to change the share name the tivo displays? if i name it 'pictures' it displays as 'Photos on pictures's PC'. is there a way for me to specify exactly what i'd like it to display?

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 02-28-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #98
Iluvatar

Quote:
once that path issue was worked out (have you installed the new xcode yet? evidently, if you uninstall the previous version you lose the gcc until you install command line tools in the components tab of the new xcode prefs), that went entirely without a hitch. can't thank you enough.
Yes I had issues. Solution was to not let the new version delete the /Developer folder and keep both versions. Or avoid the new version all together.

Quote:
yet, still ... [g] is there a way to change the share name the tivo displays? if i name it 'pictures' it displays as 'Photos on pictures's PC'. is there a way for me to specify exactly what i'd like it to display?
/guy
Not sure on that. Is this how TiVo Desktop display's itself?

and
for OS X

Last edited by Iluvatar : 02-29-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #99
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague
/guy
Sounds like you should change the name of the share to: "gteague", then it would say "Photos on gteague's PC".

So did you get Photos working? I installed TiVo Desktop and got a look at how that does it. It named the folder "Dad's Mac/Photos" I think... It also put a folder at the bottom on my NPL that said "Dad's Mac/Videos" and it even installed the folder in the Applications folder... Unfortunately, it doesn't show any of my Videos even if I put them directly in the folder... I guess they broke that so they could make the deal with Roxio... I actually preferred the Movies and iTunes integration in pyTivo better anyway. I don't want my videos in the Application Folder. I want them in the "Movies" folder.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #100
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Not sure on that. Is this how TiVo Desktop display's itself?
Yes, that's TiVo Desktop. pyTivo displays whatever is in the brackets [ ] as the share name.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #101
Iluvatar

Quote:
Yes, that's TiVo Desktop. pyTivo displays whatever is in the brackets [ ] as the share name.
Looks like the extra bits get dropped when 'platform' is not sent with the beacon. TD for Mac displays exactly what you want as the share name because it doesn't announce with 'platform' set. pyTivo announces everything with platform=pc. It seems TiVo has it's own internal bits it adds to share name when it sees platform=pc (in addition to the icons that are chosen in NPL for shares depending on which platform is set platform=tcd/Series4 causes little Premiere icons to show). So [Photos] share becomes Photo's on Photo's PC.

and
for OS X

Last edited by Iluvatar : 02-29-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #102
gteague
golftango

@iluvator: unfortunately, when installing the new xcode i didn't consider all the implications and thus i followed instructions to run the /uninstall/ module inside the old developer package and it did indeed uninstall everything associated with that old version. i'm sure there's a way to re-install it, but i'm not a developer and rarely use the tools, so i can hopefully get away with the limitations of the new version of xcode. apple pulled the same trick on the airport config util where the new version removed a couple of pages of tools. fortunately they recognized this and left the old version available as well. with the new mountain lion just introduced with it's dumbing down the os to ios levels, it deeply troubles me. one of the big attractions to me is apple's unix underpinnings.

@bareyb: yeah, pictures are working perfectly. and i've completely given up on the toast and tivo desktop way of handling video--pytivo and streambaby are far far superior.

@wmcbrine: i'm a little lost ... are you saying that tivo desktop is somehow over-riding the share name in pytivo? that share name is not present when just running tivo desktop and pytivo is not running. in fact, afaik, tivo desktop will only share the iphoto library and that shows up under the 'Music & Photos' menu item as 'roma_photos'-a name you can assign from the prefpane.

/guy
Old 02-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #103
Iluvatar

Quote:
@iluvator: unfortunately, when installing the new xcode i didn't consider all the implications and thus i followed instructions to run the /uninstall/ module inside the old developer package and it did indeed uninstall everything associated with that old version.
It may still be in your Trash. If so just restore the Developer folder. All that's necessary.

Quote:
@wmcbrine: i'm a little lost ... are you saying that tivo desktop is somehow over-riding the share name in pytivo? that share name is not present when just running tivo desktop and pytivo is not running. in fact, afaik, tivo desktop will only share the iphoto library and that shows up under the 'Music & Photos' menu item as 'roma_photos'-a name you can assign from the prefpane.

/guy
I noticed this also. Read my post before your last one.

and
for OS X
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #104
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
It seems TiVo has it's own internal bits it adds to share name when it sees platform=pc
Wait, what? ...Oh, I get it: it's an HDUI thing. This doesn't happen with the SDUI. Except with TiVo Desktop for Windows, which is why I posted that; sorry.

I'm testing a "platform" change now...

Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #105
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
@iluvator: unfortunately, when installing the new xcode i didn't consider all the implications and thus i followed instructions to run the /uninstall/ module inside the old developer package and it did indeed uninstall everything associated with that old version. i'm sure there's a way to re-install it, but i'm not a developer and rarely use the tools, so i can hopefully get away with the limitations of the new version of xcode. apple pulled the same trick on the airport config util where the new version removed a couple of pages of tools. fortunately they recognized this and left the old version available as well. with the new mountain lion just introduced with it's dumbing down the os to ios levels, it deeply troubles me. one of the big attractions to me is apple's unix underpinnings.

@bareyb: yeah, pictures are working perfectly. and i've completely given up on the toast and tivo desktop way of handling video--pytivo and streambaby are far far superior.

/guy
From your experience with it, do you think it's appropriate to put into a "Beginners" Tutorial? Would that even be possible? I'm thinking having to download xcode and all that may be a bit much to try and explain... But hey, if you can break it down step by step, I'll take the screen shots and put it in there.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #106
gteague
golftango

although simple when someone like these guys (adult supervision) shows us how to do it, a compile and build doesn't, in my opinion, fall into a beginner category. it's entirely safe in 99% of the case, but there'll always be that exception that no one can foresee that will fark things up. witness above where i didn't have the compiler in the path anymore due to an update of the developer tools. granted, this just failed the process and didn't fsck anything up, but it's one of those things those writing the instructions just can't foresee. all this just imho, of course.

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 02-29-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #107
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Wait, what? ...Oh, I get it: it's an HDUI thing. This doesn't happen with the SDUI. Except with TiVo Desktop for Windows, which is why I posted that; sorry.

I'm testing a "platform" change now...
i wasn't sure from what @iluvator said whether i could change the platform ?variable? ?field? or not. it sounds like you have to make a source change in order to do this, perhaps? i'd love to be able to change what it displays on the tivo because what it's doing now is ugly. and it goes without saying i'm ultimate anal--i want control!

i did finally get sort of used to the 'stream, baby, stream!', but not entirely ... [g]

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 02-29-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #108
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

OK, I have a fix in my repos now.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #109
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
although simple when someone like these guys (adult supervision) shows us how to do it, a compile and build doesn't, in my opinion, fall into a beginner category. it's entirely safe in 99% of the case, but there'll always be that exception that no one can foresee that will fark things up. witness above where i didn't have the compiler in the path anymore due to an update of the developer tools. granted, this just failed the process and didn't fsck anything up, but it's one of those things those writing the instructions just can't foresee. all this just imho, of course.

/guy
Okay. That's what I thought. I think the Tutorial is complete as is. Thanks.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-29-2012 at 10:18 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #110
Iluvatar

Quote:
i did finally get sort of used to the 'stream, baby, stream!', but not entirely ... [g]

/guy
You can change this. Edit streambaby.ini to include

Code:
title=TiVoStreamer
or whatever other title you could come up with that you prefer.

and
for OS X
Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #111
gteague
golftango

Quote:
great. now to see if i can figure out how to update. i'll let you know if i get stuck. for some reason i have a very hard time with these dedicated 'sourceforge' type pages or wikis--despite the formats being standardized i have trouble finding things. but i've been out of open source stuff since i quit messing around with linux and i'm way out of practice. i just muddle around with bog-standard ubuntu now and don't configure it unless i have to.

... is it as simple as replacing my 'beacon.py' file with your newest changes? just a cut'n'paste job? it doesn't have to be compiled (by python?) into the 'beacon.pyc'? i'm betting that it does ...

... i found a download tab that seems to have downloaded the whole folder or distro. do i need to replace my whole pytivo folder with the new download (except for my personalized config files) and then the first run will create the .pyc files? or perhaps i can just remove the 'beacon.pyc' file and the next run will recreate it? sorry, i'd love to learn python and it's on my short list, but i just don't have any experience with it yet.

... or, if there's a howto or faq on how to merge in new builds, just point me to it.

@ivulator: many tks for the streambaby tip to replace the default title. sure am glad i'm not paying for all this great tech support--i doubt anyone could afford it even if they could get it nowadays ... [g]

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 02-29-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #112
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
great. now to see if i can figure out how to update. i'll let you know if i get stuck. for some reason i have a very hard time with these dedicated 'sourceforge' type pages or wikis--despite the formats being standardized i have trouble finding things. but i've been out of open source stuff since i quit messing around with linux and i'm way out of practice. i just muddle around with bog-standard ubuntu now and don't configure it unless i have to.

... is it as simple as replacing my 'beacon.py' file with your newest changes? just a cut'n'paste job?

@ivulator: many tks for the streambaby tip to replace the default title. sure am glad i'm not paying for all this great tech support--i doubt anyone could afford it even if they could get it nowadays ... [g]

/guy
Ain't that the truth. People's generosity with their time and talent, never ceases to amaze me. Gives me hope for mankind I tell ya. I hope you guys know how much people appreciate it...

Last edited by bareyb : 03-01-2012 at 01:34 AM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #113
gteague
golftango

ok. my first 'hunch' worked. i merely copied the original 'beacon.py' file, naming it 'beacon orig.py', then added the new 'beacon.py' file from wmcbrine's cvs. i moved the 'beacon.pyc' file out to the desktop and then launched pytivo. as i suspected, the 'beacon.pyc' file was recreated on the fly and ,just like that i now have complete control over the share name that tivo displays. fantastic!

i'll bet i have you guys in stitches with my deconstructions of how i think things should work and my thrashing around in your filesystems, eh? [g]

/guy
Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #114
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You can change this. Edit streambaby.ini to include

Code:
title=TiVoStreamer
or whatever other title you could come up with that you prefer.
Thanks for this! I'd often wondered how to replace the "Stream, Baby, Stream" title but thought it would be nitpicky to ask.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #115
Iluvatar

Quote:
... is it as simple as replacing my 'beacon.py' file with your newest changes? just a cut'n'paste job? it doesn't have to be compiled (by python?) into the 'beacon.pyc'? i'm betting that it does ...

/guy
No problem.

And yes you want to overwrite your entire pyTivo folder, not just a single file. Then restart pyTivo. It should be ok but backup your pyTivo.conf and /bin folder just in case. This will give you all the changes wmcbrine has committed since the last time you installed pyTivo.

and
for OS X
Old 02-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #116
gteague
golftango

@iluvatar: i understand. i think i got away with it this time because @wmcbrine (according to the version notes) seems to have only modified this single file. i can see it would be much safer to do as you say as the general rule. i never thought of the /bin directory, i'll make sure to do that next time although time machine should have me covered if i forget.

[later edit: i replaced all the pytivo files with the files from the latest build just to be on the safe side and to get a feel for the proper procedure. i made sure i didn't overwrite my new 'beacon.py' file. confirmed everything still works after the replacement.]

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 02-29-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #117
Iluvatar

Quote:
Just for future reference the values I have found to work are:

Code:
tcd             - icon looks like a 540 S2 /no extra name in music/photos
tcd/Series3     - icon looks like a HD /no extra name in music/photos
tcd/Series4     - icon looks like a Premiere /no extra name in music/photos
pc              - normal PC icon /name in music/photos is '... on PC'
pc/Mac          - normal PC icon /name in music/photos is '... on Mac'
Value can be anything obviously but only the above (I have found so far) produce icons in NPL.

Alternately it seems you can choose not to send 'platform' at all and it has no ill effect besides missing NPL icons.

and
for OS X

Last edited by Iluvatar : 02-29-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #118
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Thanks for this! I'd often wondered how to replace the "Stream, Baby, Stream" title but thought it would be nitpicky to ask.
otoh, i have no shame when it comes to feeding my anal compulsion to control every smallest aspect! [g]

/guy
Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #119
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Ain't that the truth. People's generosity with their time and talent, never ceases to amaze me. Gives me hope for mankind I tell ya. I hope you guys know how much people appreciate it... I know I do.
and now they know where to come to get newbie fresh meat in case they have a new build or some new feature to test out. i know i don't sound like it, but i have been a beta tester (and some betas are more alpha than beta) for nearly 20 years for one or another company or development team. i just joined fitbit, the nifty electronic pedometer folks. i had major problems with a recent update and they had mac problems and i'll bet they figured they'd rather have me on their side where i could cause less problems that if i was out loose on the range asking questions! [g]

/guy
Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #120
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Just for future reference the values I have found to work are:

Code:
tcd             - icon looks like a 540 S2 /no extra name in music/photos
tcd/Series3     - icon looks like a HD /no extra name in music/photos
tcd/Series4     - icon looks like a Premiere /no extra name in music/photos
pc              - normal PC icon /name in music/photos is '... on PC'
pc/Mac          - normal PC icon /name in music/photos is '... on Mac'
Value can be anything obviously but only the above (I have found so far) produce icons in NPL.
Interestingly the SDUI shows the "PC" icon no matter what I do; only the HDUI icon is affected.

I chose to continue using platform=pc for video shares (gives us the icon, and the share name isn't mangled there), and platform=pyTivo for the others (no more share name mangling, and music/photo shares never did have icons). Also, video shares will lose their icons if you disable Zeroconf, since I use platform=pyTivo for the old-style beacons, and there's only one beacon for all shares.