TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

HDUI quivering when network transfer

OK, some of you are going to call me crazy, but I am not.

I started a transfer of video from PyTiVo to my Premiere and returned to the HDUI menu screen. The entire screen started "quivering" or shaking up and down by a pixel, repeatedly. At first, I thought there was something wrong with my eyes. So after a moment, I got up and looked a few inches away from the 54" screen... yep.... quivering!

So I picked some HD program to watch and that was having ever so slight pauses in it. Then I returned to the HDUI menu screen and it was still quivering! Tried another video- same thing, then back to the menu, same thing. The second the network transfer of video was complete, the screen stopped quivering and was normal again.

I have not seen a posting on this phenomenon before. Has anyone else seen this behavior before? And if so, in which versions? I am new to using the HDUI, and I think this is the first time I have looked at the HDUI menu screen while doing a network transfer. I know it never did this in the SDUI.

(And no, there is nothing wrong with my HDMI-connected, Vizio LCD TV)
Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
moyekj

You're not crazy. I've seen the "quivering" before as well while I was (briefly) using HDUI. For me I think it was when I was using MRV from 1 Premiere to another which happens at a very high rate (80+ Mbps). Normally I just use MRS these days though plus I'm not using HDUI anymore so I haven't seen the issue since. Were these high rate transfers (native H.264 videos) or slower mpeg2 transfers? (You can check Network Diagnostics for transfer speeds).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
caddyroger

I started a thread also on the jerkiness of the tivo when transferring programs. I just make sure I do the transfer when I am not watching tv.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You're not crazy. I've seen the "quivering" before as well while I was (briefly) using HDUI. For me I think it was when I was using MRV from 1 Premiere to another which happens at a very high rate (80+ Mbps). Normally I just use MRS these days though plus I'm not using HDUI anymore so I haven't seen the issue since. Were these high rate transfers (native H.264 videos) or slower mpeg2 transfers? (You can check Network Diagnostics for transfer speeds).
Good. I am not crazy.
PyTiVo was transferring an H.264 avi, so I am sure it was transcoding it to mpeg2.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
I started a thread also on the jerkiness of the tivo when transferring programs. I just make sure I do the transfer when I am not watching tv.
When you say "jerkiness of the tivo", what do you mean? Jerkiness in video playback? The menus quivering? Something else?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Good. I am not crazy.
PyTiVo was transferring an H.264 avi, so I am sure it was transcoding it to mpeg2.
mpeg2 transfers are remuxed by the TiVo on the fly during transfer which requires some CPU horsepower, probably more so than just H.264 transfers which are stored as is. Would be interesting to see if you tried an H.264 push (that doesn't require transcoding to mpeg2) if the problem goes away.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
When you say "jerkiness of the tivo", what do you mean? Jerkiness in video playback? The menus quivering? Something else?
I call it jerkiness but could be what you are calling quivering. When transferring programs the program is not still it moving around.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
mpeg2 transfers are remuxed by the TiVo on the fly during transfer which requires some CPU horsepower, probably more so than just H.264 transfers which are stored as is. Would be interesting to see if you tried an H.264 push (that doesn't require transcoding to mpeg2) if the problem goes away.
I don't have any H.264 that is in the correct container/bitrate/resolution/etc/etc that is "perfect" so it won't be transcoded by PyTiVo.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
Max Camber

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=482671

Try limiting your transfer speed from server to 30 Mbps and see if that fixes it. You can do this mid-transfer and should see the jitter stop almost instantly.

Sample commands based on CentOS, your tc location may vary:
Code:
/sbin/tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 30
/sbin/tc class add dev eth0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 30mbit
/sbin/tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 match ip dst TIVO_IP_HERE/32 flowid 1:1
This basically implements a 30 Mbps cap on traffic going only from the server to your Tivo, nothing else should be affected.

To clear the throttling rules:
Code:
/sbin/tc qdisc del dev eth0 root

Max Camber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Confirmation: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=9038460

Note, I didn't try the Linux throttling, but the person in the thread mentioned, above, did drop to 10Mb/s and that solved the problem for him, confirming it occurs with only fast transfer rates (near or at 100Mb/s).