Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #1471
jwcatlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Can you use

pdisk -l

(that's a lowercase L)

on the MFS Live cd v1.4 to provide us with a partition map of the expanded 500GB drive?
Do you want the 500 from the Premiere or the 2TB now at 500 after the TIVO took out what it thought was the external, or both?

Do I have to type it into a post or is there some other way to print it in Linux with an attached printer and send?
jwcatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #1472
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcatlanta View Post
Do you want the 500 from the Premiere or the 2TB now at 500 after the TIVO took out what it thought was the external, or both?

Do I have to type it into a post or is there some other way to print it in Linux with an attached printer and send?
Both if possible but we only need the partitions after 10. What's strange is my experience with jmfs it only adds one partition as opposed to mfslive and winmfs which adds pairs. If you don't mind losing your recordings then you can always upgrade using the original disk since it will be like the first expansion onto the 2TB.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #1473
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkenstein View Post
I think I understand. I just needed to know as I will be installing a 2gb western digital drive tomorrow in my premiere. I guess I need to do that but still a little confused on what benifit. Can you explain further.
Intellipark notices a lack of drive activity, i.e., no data being read from or written to the drive, and after enough of it, parks the heads, and I guess maybe it lowers the rotation speed as well.

They really were thinking of applications other than TiVos when they developed that.

A TiVo's hard drive is always working, because at a minimum the 30 minute buffer is being filled all the time.

The 2 exceptions to that are when the AC power has been disconnected from the TiVo, obviously, and when the TiVo is doing a soft re-boot.

That's when it's rebooting itself without anyone having to pull the cord from the wall socket and plug it back in.

It's kind of like CTRL-ALT-DLT on a PC.

When it does a soft re-boot, power to the drive is not removed, but it quits sending data to the drive and quits requesting data from the drive. When this lack of activity goes on long enough, the drive goes to sleep.

The default setting of 8 seconds is short enough that the drive has time to go to sleep before the TiVo gets far enough in the re-boot sequence to call on the drive again. When it does, the drive is asleep, and doesn't respond right away, and the TiVo interprets that as something wrong and starts the re-boot process over again, which means the drive wakes up, doesn't see any more requests of it from the controller, goes back to sleep, and is asleep when the TiVo calls on it again, lather, rinse, repeat.

By setting the drive inactivity time period high enough, the drive doesn't get around to going to sleep before the TiVo has gotten far enough along in the re-boot proceess to call on the drive again, so the drive can respond instantly and the boot process continues the way it's supposed to.

So setting the inactivity period high enough (300 seconds, or 5 minutes) is effectively the same as disabling Intellipark where the TiVo soft reboot process is concerned.

If wdidle3/D doesn't work on a particular model drive, wdidle3/300 will do what amounts to the same thing.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #1474
unitron

Quote:

What I want is to see the partition map of the 500 on which you used jmfs to copy the 320 and expand.

I want to see what it did to expand.

Exactly what jmfs does in which circumstances is less well known, at least to me, than what MFS Live and WinMFS do.

The mfsinfo command in WinMFS would easily let you copy and paste the partition map, but apparently just booting into Windows with a Premiere drive attached screws it (the TiVo drive) up somehow (don't have any Premieres of my own with which to practice and experiment), so the only safe way to get a look at it is to boot with the MFS Live cd.

When the MFS Live cd boots you into a Linux/Unix-like command line environment, and you type in a command, you then hit the ENTER button to make it carry out that command.

Also, everything's case-sensitive, so if the example is a lowercase letter, don't type in an uppercase letter, and the other way around.

If it's not capitalized already, it's not supposed to be.

(sometimes the options for a command, which are typed after a command with a hyphen in front of them to indicate that they are options, will use the lowercase version of a letter to indicate one option, and the uppercase version to indicate a different option)

pdisk -l /dev/sda

will put the partition map of TiVo disk connected as sda on the screen

pdisk -l /dev/sda > pmap.txt

will re-direct the output of the command to a text file which, in this case, will be named pmap.txt, unless there's already a file by that name, in which case it will overwrite it.

The catch here is where exactly is this file "pmap.txt" being written to, where is it stored?

With MFS Live, where the Linux-based OS is basically loaded into memory from the cd and not from a hard drive, it may, for all I know, be written to a root directory that only exists in RAM somewhere.

What you need is a hard drive partition or USB stick partition which you can mount as a directory and re-direct the pdisk output to that directory.

For instance, let's say you have a USB stick formatted FAT32.

If you boot from the MFS Live cd, perhaps your main hard drive, the one with Windows on it, will be detected as

/dev/sda

and the attached TiVo drive will be

/dev/sdb

and the cd-rom or dvd drive from which you're booting is

/dev/sdc

(After it's finished booting you can use SHIFT+PAGE UP to go back up through the boot messages to see which drive got called what.)

and after it boots and settles down you plug in the USB stick, and it gets detected as /dev/sdd

(after a few moments and some stuff about it on the screen, you may have to hit ENTER one time to get back to the command prompt)

Then you can mount the only partition on the USB stick to one of the directories the boot cd created in memory.

A mount point is a place to attach stuff in the Linux/Unix organizational chart, so it knows where to find it.

If you give the "list" command

ls

it should show you what's in the directory in which you are currently in, which should be the root directory.

(previous sentence grammatically incorrect for purposes of clarity)

To see the same thing with a little more detail

ls -l

There should be a directory called

dos

and another called

tivo

There's nothing in them. Yet.

To mount that stick's only partition

mount -t vfat /dev/sdd1 /dos

This mounts, as a filesystem of type vfat (which I guess means virtual file allocation table), the what of the first (and only) partition on the stick (device scsi or sata disk "d", partition 1--/dev/sdd1) to the where of the directory /dos (the / indicates it's a directory subordinate to the root directory, I think)

You can then do

ls -l /dos

and if you already have any files on that stick, you should see them listed.

As long as none of them are already named pmap.txt, there shouldn't be a problem, but for educational purposes let's pretend there is one with that name.

Okay, we've got the 500GB drive from the Premiere assigned the "name"

/dev/sdb

and we've got

/dev/sdd1

mounted as

/dos

so

pdisk -l /dev/sdb

will show the partition map for the drive currently known as sdb, if it has an Apple Partition Map type partition map

and

pdisk -l /dev/sdb > /dos/pmap500.txt

will list the partition map on sdb and send it to "standard out", which usually gets sent to the screen, but we're using the "greater than" sign as an arrow to re-direct "standard out" to the textfile pmap500.txt which will be written in the dos directory which means the actual physical location where the text file gets written will be the sole partition on the USB stick.

Since we re-directed the outupt of the

pdisk

command with the "list" option

-l

to somewhere other than the screen, you won't see the output on the screen, it'll just write the file and return you to the command prompt.

But

ls /dos

will show you that

pmap500.txt

has been written to the

/dos

directory and therefore to the actual partition on the USB stick.

At that point you're done.

type

umount -a

(that's not un-mount, but u-mount, for some reason, even though the idea is to un-mount)

Then type

poweroff

Then detach the Premiere drive and the USB stick.

Then start the computer again and take out the MFS Live cd before the computer tries to boot from that so that it will boot from Windows instead.

Then hook up the USB stick and open up pmap500.txt in Notepad and copy and paste.

(submitting now, will edit for spacing later)

Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #1475
jwcatlanta

I am an experienced Windows and DOS guy. Have done a little of everything and would not really even be afraid to edit the partition table if I had it backed up and the proper instructions. No OS X capability though to do what kc8apf explained.

I am impressed and appreciate unitron taking the time to do the writeup. If you only need the partition info 11 and up, it would be just as quick and do less damage to by old brain to type it in.

Please confirm 11 and up and I will get the info from both drives later today. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #1476
unitron

Quote:
I am an experienced Windows and DOS guy. Have done a little of everything and would not really even be afraid to edit the partition table if I had it backed up and the proper instructions. No OS X capability though to do what kc8apf explained.

I am impressed and appreciate unitron taking the time to do the writeup. If you only need the partition info 11 and up, it would be just as quick and do less damage to by old brain to type it in.

Please confirm 11 and up and I will get the info from both drives later today. Thanks.
The MFS partitions are supposed to start with partition 10, at least in Series 1s through 3s.

Partitions 1 through 9 should be the same on the stock drive and any "embiggened" drive, it's the differences between the two "above" that in which I'm interested.

Off to try to find where someone has already posted a copy of a stock Premiere partition map, and maybe to read through comer's posts on "the other site" about how he developed jmfs.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #1477
getgray

Excuse cross post from my own thread.

I am using JMFS to attempt to backup a failing 1TB Premiere drive. I am copying it to a new 2TB WD drive. I am trying to save the 88% full drive's programs I have recorded on it.

The failing drive may only have this one last read in it. I do not have a spare 1 or 2 TB drive to make a second backup from the copy.

Question is, can I put the 2TB drive with the 1TB image, in my Tivo to test it without expanding it?

I'm worried about the 2TB drive having errors and I don't want to make it worse by expanding it. Should I suck it up and go get another 2TB to backup the image before proceeding? Just hate to end up with (2) extra 2 TB drives if the rescue was unsucessful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Speels betr than typos.
getgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #1478
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by getgray View Post

I am using JMFS to attempt to backup a failing 1TB Premiere drive. I am copying it to a new 2TB WD drive. I am trying to save the 88% full drive's programs I have recorded on it.

The failing drive may only have this one last read in it. I do not have a spare 1 or 2 TB drive to make a second backup from the copy.

Question is, can I put the 2TB drive with the 1TB image, in my Tivo to test it without expanding it?

I'm worried about the 2TB drive having errors and I don't want to make it worse by expanding it. Should I suck it up and go get another 2TB to backup the image before proceeding? Just hate to end up with (2) extra 2 TB drives if the rescue was unsucessful.
I address this elsewhere where you also posted, but just let me say that if the copy to the 2TB has errors, then expanding with jmfs probably won't make any difference in whether it is disabled by those errors or not.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #1479
getgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by getgray View Post

Issue resolved here. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Speels betr than typos.
getgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #1480
jwcatlanta

Quote:
The MFS partitions are supposed to start with partition 10, at least in Series 1s through 3s.

Partitions 1 through 9 should be the same on the stock drive and any "embiggened" drive, it's the differences between the two "above" that in which I'm interested.

Off to try to find where someone has already posted a copy of a stock Premiere partition map, and maybe to read through comer's posts on "the other site" about how he developed jmfs.
Here are the partition tables (partition 10 and up) requested.

First is the 500GB WD5000AACS which was copied, expanded and supersized from the original Premiere 320Gb using JMFS. It is working fine but running out of room and has no partition 16 showing in the table. It shows a capacity of 74 HD or 645 SD shows.

Par Type Name Length @ Base (size)

10: MFS MFS application region 1638400 @ 352511906 (800.0M)
11: MFS MFS media region 269353742 @ 355788706 (128.4G)
12: MFS MFS application region 2 1638400 @ 354150306 (800.0M)
13: MFS MFS media region 2 343828320 @ 64 (164.0G)
14: EXT2 SQLite 6291456 @ 346220450 (3.0G)
15: MFS MFS media region 3 351630720 @ 625142448 (167.7G)

Here is the 2TB WD20EARS table. I used it to copy from the 500GB above using JMFS. I tried both copy, expand and supersize as well as just copy and expand. This table is after just expand. In both cases the Premiere thought it had a bad external drive. I told it to remove the external and it now works and shows the same capacity as above.

16: MFS MFS media region 4 2930256000 @ 976773168 (1.4T)

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on how to copy 500GB to the full size 2TB and preserve the shows.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #1481
unitron

Quote:
Here are the partition tables (partition 10 and up) requested.

First is the 500GB WD5000AACS which was copied, expanded and supersized from the original Premiere 320Gb using JMFS. It is working fine but running out of room and has no partition 16 showing in the table. It shows a capacity of 74 HD or 645 SD shows.

Here is the 2TB WD20EARS table. I used it to copy from the 500GB above using JMFS. I tried both copy, expand and supersize as well as just copy and expand. This table is after just expand. In both cases the Premiere thought it had a bad external drive. I told it to remove the external and it now works and shows the same capacity as above.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on how to copy 500GB to the full size 2TB and preserve the shows.
That second one looks like it ought to work, but....

The discussion of Premiere drives and how to "embiggen" them that I thought I read over at "the site which must not be named" was actually over on the forums at mfslive.org

http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1500

where you can see comer picking spike's brain as he works out what eventually becomes jmfs

Unfortunately a lot of it is still over my head.

I thought that it was exceeding the 16 partitions per drive rule that made the TiVo think that the added partition was a faulty external, but apparently there's more voodoo involved than that.

The part where he reports sucess, unfortunately, reminds me of the old cartoon of the professor with a blackboard filled with a long chain of math formulas and equations, and right in the middle there's a line that says "and then a miracle happens".

Unless we can get comer to weigh in on how jmfs gets away with adding a partition successfully without the TiVo thinking it's an external, I don't know how we're going to figure out how to do it a second time on the same drive.

Are there shows on the 500 that you can't copy off with TiVo Desktop?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #1482
jwcatlanta

Quote:
That second one looks like it ought to work, but....

The discussion of Premiere drives and how to "embiggen" them that I thought I read over at "the site which must not be named" was actually over on the forums at mfslive.org

http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1500

where you can see comer picking spike's brain as he works out what eventually becomes jmfs

Unfortunately a lot of it is still over my head.

I thought that it was exceeding the 16 partitions per drive rule that made the TiVo think that the added partition was a faulty external, but apparently there's more voodoo involved than that.

The part where he reports sucess, unfortunately, reminds me of the old cartoon of the professor with a blackboard filled with a long chain of math formulas and equations, and right in the middle there's a line that says "and then a miracle happens".

Unless we can get comer to weigh in on how jmfs gets away with adding a partition successfully without the TiVo thinking it's an external, I don't know how we're going to figure out how to do it a second time on the same drive.

Are there shows on the 500 that you can't copy off with TiVo Desktop?
No. All shows can be copies off of the drive (I assume since I know that several do copy). That is the job I was trying to avoid. Looks like that is how I will have to proceed with the 2TB upgraded from the original 320GB. I will look at the tables at each step when I do that.

In the partition modification writeup by kc8apf he removed the 16th partition not the 17th. The 500GB upgraded from the 320 only has 15 partitions. It would seem that the 16th is what I need to remove to make it work, but--

I just loaded the original 320GB drive and it only has 14 partitions. They are identical to the first 14 on both of these drives.

What do you think of that?

P.S. Thanks for the link to MFSLive.org. I will take a look there.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #1483
unitron

Quote:
No. All shows can be copies off of the drive (I assume since I know that several do copy). That is the job I was trying to avoid. Looks like that is how I will have to proceed with the 2TB upgraded from the original 320GB. I will look at the tables at each step when I do that.

In the partition modification writeup by kc8apf he removed the 16th partition not the 17th. The 500GB upgraded from the 320 only has 15 partitions. It would seem that the 16th is what I need to remove to make it work, but--

I just loaded the original 320GB drive and it only has 14 partitions. They are identical to the first 14 on both of these drives.

What do you think of that?

P.S. Thanks for the link to MFSLive.org. I will take a look there.
"In the partition modification writeup by kc8apf..."

I'm too lazy to search, gotta link?

Never mind, I had to go look it up.

He's talking about an S3 drive, not a Premiere drive.

Apples and oranges, sorta.

On an S3, the stock drive has 13 partitions, that SQLite thing wasn't added until the S4 platform came out, and that's at least part of what breaks MFS Live and WinMFS where Premieres are concerned.

On an S3, you can expand by the MFS Tools/MFS Live/WinMFS technique of adding a third MFS pair, which become partitons 14 and 15.

Although not on the original S3, on the later S3 HD, and S3 HD XL, you can expand again by using jmfs, but only if there's no left over space on the drive onto which you first expanded.

If there's extra space, the Apple Partition Map scheme has labeled it an Apple Free partition (yes, unpartitioned space is labeled as a partition), and it's considered the 16th partition, at least by jmfs, so jmfs will copy everything, including the partition map that says there are 16 partitions, and it'll add the one partition it does add after the Apple Free partition, and it'll be the 17th partition on the disk. On an S3, this will violate the 16 partitions per disk rule, and the TiVo will interpret that 17th partition as a malfunctioning external drive, or an external drive that's on the wrong drive, and want to "divorce" it, which means it'll delete it from the partition map.

That's on the later S3's which were apparently changed from the original S3 in the direction they were going to go with the S4 enough that jmfs could work with them even though it was intended for the S4.

As to the S4:

jmfs took the original 14 partitions from your 320 and copied them to the 500, and then added the 15th (a third MFS media partition) and did something to make the TiVo like it. That's what it was designed to do.

But it was apparently only designed to do it once.

It's that "do something to make the TiVo like it" part where comer's explanation over on that mfslive link I gave either gets vague or goes over my head or both, so if comer doesn't pop back up, I don't know how to do what you want to do.

So my suggestion is to leave the 500 in the TiVo for now, put the 2TB in a computer, install TiVo Desktop and put its "My TiVo Recordings" folder on that 2TB drive (format the drive as one big NT partition), and store all of your recordings, including future ones, there for now and wait for drive prices to come back down and someone (like, say, comer or spike) to solve the problem.

I'll read over kc8apf's post a few times and see if I can figure out what he did with the hex editor, and see if I see any clue as to what might be done in your case, but don't hold your breath, 'cause if it happens at all, it won't happen quickly.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #1484
Soapm

Quote:

I don't know why this didn't work since you have only 16 partitions. This should have been ok but I can explain the usual problem. jmfs leave a little space at the end of the drive and Tivo see's that as a partition. Partition 17 to be exact and that's what it's thinking is your external drive. kc8apf fix was to eliminate the SQL partition (14) but that created another problem. Each partition knows how many partitions there are. Kind of like 1 of 16, 2 of 16, 3 of 16 etc... so just deleting the partition didn't fix it for him. That's where the hex editor came in. He edited each partition header to correct the number scheme so instead of 1 of 17 he made it 1 of 16 which satisfied Tivo from thinking there was an external drive attached.

There is a very unorthodox fix at the other form using the tools posted in the S4 forum by puffdaddy. You don't need to do all that stuff about copying the image without VAR then creating a 3.5 gig VAR that he later split into VAR and the SQL partition since you don't need the SQL partition. You can if you want try his mfsadd to see if it will expand your drive without leaving that bit of free space at the end.

@Unitron... if you recall I had this same problem with my 2TB back in this thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=477151 that's when you posted your partition map and it didn't have that partition 14. I am starting to wonder if that's what Tivo is objecting to since you and I both have 16 partitions created by JMFS and we're not getting that expanded drive error. I was getting it when I had that SQL partition but I think I used an image you gave me that didn't have it and my 2TB has been working for about 3 weeks now with no reboots... No hacks but also no reboots...

Just a thought...
Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #1485
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I don't know why this didn't work since you have only 16 partitions. This should have been ok but I can explain the usual problem. jmfs leave a little space at the end of the drive and Tivo see's that as a partition. Partition 17 to be exact and that's what it's thinking is your external drive. kc8apf fix was to eliminate the SQL partition (14) but that created another problem. Each partition knows how many partitions there are. Kind of like 1 of 16, 2 of 16, 3 of 16 etc... so just deleting the partition didn't fix it for him. That's where the hex editor came in. He edited each partition header to correct the number scheme so instead of 1 of 17 he made it 1 of 16 which satisfied Tivo from thinking there was an external drive attached.

There is a very unorthodox fix at the other form using the tools posted in the S4 forum by puffdaddy. You don't need to do all that stuff about copying the image without VAR then creating a 3.5 gig VAR that he later split into VAR and the SQL partition since you don't need the SQL partition. You can if you want try his mfsadd to see if it will expand your drive without leaving that bit of free space at the end.

@Unitron... if you recall I had this same problem with my 2TB back in this thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=477151 that's when you posted your partition map and it didn't have that partition 14. I am starting to wonder if that's what Tivo is objecting to since you and I both have 16 partitions created by JMFS and we're not getting that expanded drive error. I was getting it when I had that SQL partition but I think I used an image you gave me that didn't have it and my 2TB has been working for about 3 weeks now with no reboots... No hacks but also no reboots...

Just a thought...

You're comparing S3 HD and HD XL partition maps to Premiere maps.

I suspect doing so may utimately cause more misunderstanding and confusion than enlightenment.

The S3s came with the usual 13 partitions, including 2 MFS pairs, 10-11, and 12-13.

The Premiere added that SQLite partition as partition 14.

Unfortunately the management at TiVo, Inc, overlooked the need to contact me personally and explain what it is and why it's there, and what it changes where drive size upgrades are concerned.

Come to think of it, they've never really explained anything to me about why MFS partitions come in pairs either, and no one's bothered to let me in on why jmfs can create a single MFS Media partition and the TiVo likes it just fine, but doesn't like a second one, even when it doesn't break the only 16 partitions per drive rule.

kc8apf was working with a Series 3 HD, not a Series 4, so he(she?) never had an SQLite partition 14 to worry about in the first place.

What he had was the original 160GB drive copied to a 1TB drive and then expanded (with the additions of MFS pair partitions 14 and 15) with MFS Live, which left a little unpartioned space at the end of the 1TB drive.

This left him with Apple Free partition 16, because the Apple Partition Map scheme turns unpartitioned space into a special, expendable, kind of partition (only jmfs doesn't know that the rules for it are different, and so preserves it).

What he did was hex-edit the partition map and the beginning of each partiton (up through 15) to remove any references to partition 16, and then (and at this point I don't know if he looked at the drive again with pdisk or not, and if doing so would have changed anything or not) he used jmfs to copy the 15 partitions on that 1Tb which jmfs could see to a 2TB drive and then let it add a single MFS media partition as partition 16.

So he wound up with basically what I have on my S3 HD (I don't know if he has a bigger swap partition like I do or not), except I did it by going from the 160 to a 1TB and expanding with WinMFS instead of MFS Live, because where MFS Live leaves a little space at the end that trips up jmfs, WinMFS does not.

I do not know why one does it and the other doesn't.

Maybe it's because spike built MFS Live out of the old MFS Tools written by someone else (Jamie?), but (I think) created WinMFS from scratch, but that's just a guess.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #1486
jwcatlanta

Quote:
SQLite is a powerfule database which also works under Linux. It would seem to me that the Premiere uses this for it's database. If so, it would not work if it's partition was removed. I don't know about S3, does it have a SQLite partition?

Please provide link to the above reference and is the mfsadd program part of MFS Live or other.

Another question, are there detailed instructions somewhere for MFS Live. I found them for WinMFS but not Live. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #1487
Soapm

Quote:
SQLite is a powerfule database which also works under Linux. It would seem to me that the Premiere uses this for it's database. If so, it would not work if it's partition was removed. I don't know about S3, does it have a SQLite partition?

Please provide link to the above reference and is the mfsadd program part of MFS Live or other.

Another question, are there detailed instructions somewhere for MFS Live. I found them for WinMFS but not Live. Thanks.
I was talking about the partition map you posted. It has SQLite on partition 14. While doing some of my farting around I ended up with that same partition 14. I don't recall how I got it but I do know the final product that works doesn't have it. Unitron convinced me it wasn't needed.

I will have to link you to the other place via PM since it not allowed to be discussed openly here.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #1488
jwcatlanta

Quote:
I was talking about the partition map you posted. It has SQLite on partition 14. While doing some of my farting around I ended up with that same partition 14. I don't recall how I got it but I do know the final product that works doesn't have it. Unitron convinced me it wasn't needed.

I will have to link you to the other place via PM since it not allowed to be discussed openly here.
Thanks for the PM. I will look that over.

FYI, SQLite is in par 14 of the original 320GB (which works), par 14 of the 500GB (which works) and par 14 of the 2TB (which works as a 500GB after I let the Premiere remove the bad "external" it thought was there).

I am out of time and unless the info causes me to try something else, I have decided to copy off the programs to a desktop and transfer back on the 2TB after I copy, expand and supersize from the original 320GB using JMFS. I plan to do a partition table after each step. That should give a complete set from them for everyone's info.

I have another Premiere which was upgraded with JMFS from 320GB to 2TB over a year ago and it is working fine. Capacity is 318HD & 2788SD.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #1489
Soapm

Quote:
I am out of time and unless the info causes me to try something else, I have decided to copy off the programs to a desktop and transfer back on the 2TB after I copy, expand and supersize from the original 320GB using JMFS. I plan to do a partition table after each step. That should give a complete set from them for everyone's info..
I think you have a good plan. If you use kmttg you can remove the commercials and reformat the shows while you make this transition.

Good luck...
Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #1490
unitron

Quote:

Use of the MFS Live cd is covered at mfslive.org

Click on the "Full Guide" link on the left.

If you're upsizing a Premiere, you'll need to use jmfs rather than MFS Live and WinMFS, but I think everyone should burn themselves a copy of the MFS Live cd anyway.

Both MFS Live and WinMFS were created before the Series 4 platform came out.

Consequently, neither are designed to know what to do or not do regarding the SQLite partition, which was introduced with the S4 and is not present on previous model S1s, 2s, and 3s.

mfsadd is a part of both MFS Live and WinMFS.

It expands a TiVo drive by adding an MFS partition pair, and up through the S3 models, that was the way to do it.

With the introduction of the S4 platform we are in uncharted territory and a lot of pioneers have gotten arrows in the back.

(No disrespect for the original inhabitants of this continent intended)

Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #1491
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Has anyone here, upgraded using a WD Caviar Black series HDD? If so what are your reported temps from the TiVo System Info.

I what to upgrade my sisters Premiere drive, and have several WD Caviar Blacks, but I am concerned about the amount of heat they generate, and HDD prices are still too high for me to consider purchasing a new WD AV-GP or Caviar Green.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #1492
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Has anyone here, upgraded using a WD Caviar Black series HDD? If so what are your reported temps from the TiVo System Info.

I what to upgrade my sisters Premiere drive, and have several WD Caviar Blacks, but I am concerned about the amount of heat they generate, and HDD prices are still too high for me to consider purchasing a new WD AV-GP or Caviar Green.
I'm using 1TB Blacks in S2 DTs, but I'm running extra fans, cause they do get toasty.

Although I've never had my hands or Torx driver on one, apparently the Premiere mounts the drive "upside down", but without enough room between the "bottom" of the drive and the chassis lid to accomodate a hard drive fan, so if you're going to put an additional fan in there you'll have to be inventive about a mounting location. And since the SATA TiVos don't use the 4 pin Molex power connectors, you'll have a little more of a challenge powering the fan, but if you get that adventuresome, consider T-tap Scotchlock connectors from 3M.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #1493
jediMac

I used this tool on a late 2011 Macbook Pro. I was able to successfully burn the CD but I got the failure message referenced upthread. My solution was to use unetbootin to put create a USB stick with the contents of the ISO. I couldn't boot directly from the USB, but as long as I had the stick attached to the MBP at startup, it was able to read the stuff that it needed. Everything worked perfectly from there and I'm now enjoying a 2TB Tivo Premiere.
jediMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #1494
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Maybe this has been addressed somewhere before but I'll ask anyway. I know that you can't create a backup image of a Premiere like you can with older Tivo drives. Has anyone worked out a method for running JMFS to copy a Premiere drive to a virtual hard drive on your PC? I'm thinking if that was possible, then the file could be saved and reloaded on a virtual hard drive when you needed to copy to a new hard drive. Not real efficient but maybe better than having to keep a spare piece of hardware lying around.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #1495
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Maybe this has been addressed somewhere before but I'll ask anyway. I know that you can't create a backup image of a Premiere like you can with older Tivo drives. Has anyone worked out a method for running JMFS to copy a Premiere drive to a virtual hard drive on your PC? I'm thinking if that was possible, then the file could be saved and reloaded on a virtual hard drive when you needed to copy to a new hard drive. Not real efficient but maybe better than having to keep a spare piece of hardware lying around.
Somebody responded to me a week or two ago and had done that, forget with which model, but I can't remember which user or which thread.

It was a concept of which I was previously unaware, but sounds like a pretty slick trick.

I think they were working around not having enough spare SATA ports or something like that.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #1496
sdnative1

Great info and great thread! Thanks! There's also a great video on youtube from "garyadavis" who has a similar method to clone/expand the internal Tivo hard drive.

The Definitive Guide to Upgrading Your Tivo Premiere - Part I
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

sdnative1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #1497
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

If anyone is looking for a cheaper way to upgrade than paying the inflated prices for internal drives now, I have a success story with jmfs and a drive pulled out of an external USB case posted here. External drives are routinely on sale for way less than the equivalent internals, but it can be a crapshoot as to what you get if you open it up.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #1498
TDuck

I've just successfully upgraded my Premiere from 320 GB to 2 TB with the easy instructions in the OP.

Picked up a 2TB WD external off Newegg for just over US$100, hooked it up to my MacBook alongside the OEM drive, booted off the jmfs live CD and did a copy-expand-supersize without a hitch. Then, I just popped the external drive out and hooked it into the Premiere.

Thanks!
TDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #1499
T_RJ

I just received a wd20earx as a rma replacement for a dead WD drive.
I have tried to use WDIDEL3 to set the idle park time but it will not work with this drive.
I have tried several different computers none will work.
I am able to copy my 1 TB drive to it without issue.
Anyone else have problems with WDIDEL3 with the wd20earx drive?
T_RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #1500
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_RJ View Post
I just received a wd20earx as a rma replacement for a dead WD drive.
I have tried to use WDIDEL3 to set the idle park time but it will not work with this drive.
I have tried several different computers none will work.
I am able to copy my 1 TB drive to it without issue.
Anyone else have problems with WDIDEL3 with the wd20earx drive?
Do you have the drive connected directly to the motherboard?

As in, not through an adapter that plugs into a USB jack.