TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #871
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjaiswal View Post
I used the old 160 drive in my parent's old XP machine... about 3 years ago... :-)
I'm thinking that we know that the 160 that came out of the TiVo works in that model, so if you could copy the stuff on it off to something else for the time being, you could restore to it and see if it works in the TiVo, and if it does, then that means good image, problem with Seagate in that model TiVo, or problem with Seagate period.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #872
rjaiswal

Hi Unitron,

Followed your instructions... MFSinfo showed no errors... pdisk showed 16 partitions...

Tivo still rebooting after Welcome! Powering up... When I tried the supafly image, I got past this point. It started rebooting after Just a few more minutes...

Any other suggestions?

thanks again!
rjaiswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #873
rjaiswal

I'm going to use pdisk to re-initialize the partition info... maybe it became corrupt because I was restoring over a previous restore. Will post update when finished.

thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #874
rjaiswal

Quote:
I'm going to use pdisk to re-initialize the partition info... maybe it became corrupt because I was restoring over a previous restore. Will post update when finished.

thanks!
Update.

After re-initializing the hard drive, I ran another restore with the image that you had posted. Same problem.

I then did a restore using the "supafly" image, and I got a bit further, I got to the next screen, Just a few minutes more... after that it reboots. I did do a kickstart 57, and that took about 10 minutes. Still no joy...

I have a 1 TB western digital WD10EADS drive that I can try. Also the original drive was a 250. My bad. My TivoHD had a 160 in it...

That 250 drive is long gone. I don't know where the pc that has the drive is... :-(
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #875
rjaiswal

After doing a bit more research on tivocommunity.com, I just ordered the following drive from newegg. Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURS 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive. Maybe my Tivo is hating on Seagate all of the sudden...
Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #876
unitron

Quote:
Update.

After re-initializing the hard drive, I ran another restore with the image that you had posted. Same problem.

I then did a restore using the "supafly" image, and I got a bit further, I got to the next screen, Just a few minutes more... after that it reboots. I did do a kickstart 57, and that took about 10 minutes. Still no joy...

I have a 1 TB western digital WD10EADS drive that I can try. Also the original drive was a 250. My bad. My TivoHD had a 160 in it...

That 250 drive is long gone. I don't know where the pc that has the drive is... :-(
Yeah, I should have caught that wrong drive size. Speaking of different model S3s, I thought the supafly image was for the 652160 and maybe the 658000, but not the 648250?

Definitely try the EADS. It will work in a TiVo if everything else is right.

If there's something on there that needs saving you can run dd_rescue to Xerox it to the Seagate.

But run wdidle3 on the WD first to disable Intellipark.

The Welcome screen is built into the motherboard. If it gets to the just a few more minutes screen, that's coming off of the hard drive.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #877
rjaiswal

Will try the EADS drive tonight. Will post an update. I did buy a new power supply for it, thinking that was the problem. Now I thinking it's the image. The only reason I'm doing all this, is because this TiVo has a lifetime subscription.

Is there a way for be to console into the TiVo to see the boot sequence?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #878
unitron

Quote:

Is there a way for be to console into the TiVo to see the boot sequence?
On the Series 1s there was, and the serial port was conveniently located on the back.

But what you could see ended when the drive took over.

There is a serial port on the 648 motherboard, but you'll have to do a lot of searching and reading on "the other site" (which cannot be named here) to find out how to take advantage of it, and I don't know if it will get you what you want. You may need a prom modification first.

If you google TiVo Prom Day, you'll find links to the site.

Look for

TiVo Bluetooth Serial Console Adapter

to see a picture of where it is

page 3 of

The S3 Has Landed

has a post of the console boot output

There's another page there (I think) which discusses it more directly which I can't find right now, but if you search all of Omikron's posts you'll trip over it eventually.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #879
rjaiswal

Hi Unitron,

I tried the Western Digital drive this morning, with your image, and it still won't get past the Welcome Powering Up screen... Any ideas?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #880
unitron

Quote:
Hi Unitron,

I tried the Western Digital drive this morning, with your image, and it still won't get past the Welcome Powering Up screen... Any ideas?
Download the .tbk version and restore using WinMFS.

Use 512 for the swap size.

Since I don't have a 648 on which to test those images, I'll have to use yours.

And I need to know if one or both are bad.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #881
rjaiswal

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

LOL! No prob. I don't mind. :-)

I sold the seagate to a customer to use in their security DVR. So, I'll play around with the western digital... Will post an update tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #882
rjaiswal

Quote:
LOL! No prob. I don't mind. :-)

I sold the seagate to a customer to use in their security DVR. So, I'll play around with the western digital... Will post an update tomorrow.

Update...

Used WinMFS to restore your .tbk file. Was able to restore sucessfully, however, Tivo is still stuck at Welcome! Powering up...

Any other suggestios?

Thanks!

Riten
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #883
dadrocks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictivKaos View Post
Hi I'm looking for a TCD663320 image for a Tivo 320 (Australia). Thanks
Hi,
Did you succeed in getting your image, as I am after it also ( stuck at "just a few minutes more"
dadrocks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #884
rjaiswal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadrocks1 View Post
Hi,
Did you succeed in getting your image, as I am after it also ( stuck at "just a few minutes more"
Hi!

No... I'm still stuck at that screen too. Still looking for a valid TCD648250B image... The supafly image that I found seems to also be corrupt. I can't restore it with the -p option. And at 98% mfsrestore fails..
Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #885
rjaiswal

Quote:

Hi Unitron,

I wasn't able to boot from either image. The furthest I got was Just a few minutes more, using the .tbk. And only after switching the boot partition to 6 and running fix swap.

Would you recommend I try something else?

thanks

Riten
Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #886
unitron

Quote:
Hi Unitron,

I wasn't able to boot from either image. The furthest I got was Just a few minutes more, using the .tbk. And only after switching the boot partition to 6 and running fix swap.

Would you recommend I try something else?

thanks

Riten
Although I'm not totally convinced that it's not your motherboard or drive or power supply, I'm starting to suspect there's something wrong with the images I posted.

I PM'ed aymanme a couple of days ago to see if he'd send you a link to his image, and indicated I'd like the same, but haven't heard back.

Until and unless I actually get a 648 of my own to play with, my bag of tricks is pretty much empty.

You mentioned being able to get the "just a few more minutes screen"

The powering up screen is one the motherboard but the other one is on the drive, so that indicates the motherboard is able to talk to the drive.

Try whatever version of whatever image that got you that far again, but this time watch for the lights on the front to change somehow, probably about 60 seconds after the welcome screen pops up, and when you see it, hit pause for a second and then enter

and see if it'll do a green screen and fix itself.

If it does, you need to get it to the point of starting off in Guided Setup, pull the plug, and make a truncated image and let me know so I can get it from you.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #887
bud8man
Tivo Evangelist

Sounds like a similar issue I had with my series 2 a few years ago. After buying a unit on ebay for part, and thinking it was my power supply, I found that my power supply was just loose. So my lifetime has the power supply from the frankestein box, and I put my power supply in the frankenstein box and both work.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #888
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud8man View Post
Sounds like a similar issue I had with my series 2 a few years ago. After buying a unit on ebay for part, and thinking it was my power supply, I found that my power supply was just loose. So my lifetime has the power supply from the frankestein box, and I put my power supply in the frankenstein box and both work.
When you say "loose"...

power supply board not fully secured to chassis?

power lead from board to drive not fully seated?

cable from supply to motherboard not fully seated?

AC input "wiggly"?
Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #889
bud8man
Tivo Evangelist

Quote:
When you say "loose"...

AC input "wiggly"?
AC input was "wiggly". The "wiggly" AC input condition led to the other issues and when I switched it out I ended up 'fixing' it.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #890
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud8man View Post
AC input was "wiggly". The "wiggly" AC input condition led to the other issues and when I switched it out I ended up 'fixing' it.
AC input is supposed to be "wiggly". It is sinusoidal after all.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #891
rjaiswal

Quote:
When you say "loose"...

AC input "wiggly"?
I also thought it was a power supply issue as well. The reason is that some of the caps on the PS were alot bigger than they were supposed to be. So, i ordered a new one from weakness. After installing it, I still had the same problem. I ran kickstart 58, and got to a new screen, Installing updates... however, after it rebooted, it still wouldn't go past Just a few more minutes... I'm now looking on ebay for a cheap series 3 with a stock HD, so I can pull and through into my Tivo to see if there is something else wrong with it.

All this, because the unit has a lifetime subscription, that I already transferred once from my series 1... :-)

Will keep you posted on what I find...

thanks for the help!

Riten
Old 02-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #892
torrential

Tip of the hat to the contributors to this thread and to Unitron for providing the up-to-date image. My 652160 died a green death last week yet I was up and running shortly after unpacking the new hard drive thanks to all of you.

Another data point FWIW: I replaced a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB @7200 RPM born Oct 2007 (it seemed like a good idea at the time, which was Dec '07) with a WD15EARS. The Tivo HD is now almost completely silent and the temp has dropped from around 49 degrees C to 39C.
torrential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #893
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrential View Post
Tip of the hat to the contributors to this thread and to Unitron for providing the up-to-date image. My 652160 died a green death last week yet I was up and running shortly after unpacking the new hard drive thanks to all of you.

Another data point FWIW: I replaced a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB @7200 RPM born Oct 2007 (it seemed like a good idea at the time, which was Dec '07) with a WD15EARS. The Tivo HD is now almost completely silent and the temp has dropped from around 49 degrees C to 39C.
Have you run Hitachi's own long test on that Deathstar?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #894
torrential

Quote:
Have you run Hitachi's own long test on that Deathstar?
Yes, I ran the advanced test and it passed.
torrential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #895
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrential View Post
Yes, I ran the advanced test and it passed.
Maybe the drive itself is still good and the TiVo software just got scrambled.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #896
GGTZ

TCD540040 image needed

My series 2 suddenly died. The hard drive is not spinning up and it is not the power supply. Have checked this in my desk top. Definately not spinning up. No response at all. Can someone help me with an image. Please? Thanks so much everyone. I need my TIVO back.
GGTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #897
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGTZ View Post
My series 2 suddenly died. The hard drive is not spinning up and it is not the power supply. Have checked this in my desk top. Definately not spinning up. No response at all. Can someone help me with an image. Please? Thanks so much everyone. I need my TIVO back.
If you hurry, these might not have aged off yet.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...30#post8688730

Download both to keep them alive longer.

You'll need a drive at least as big as the original, bigger than most, if not all, other brands, 40GB Maxtor (LBA=80293248), or the restore will fail.

Then go do the same with my 240 images for which you have no use, but that's the way sendspace makes me play the game.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...32#post8707432

You don't have to download these to download the 540 ones, but I need help keeping them from being yanked for lack of activity. Once you download them you can erase them from your computer, but you'll have gained them another 3 months of life.

Then we can talk about you accepting an invite from me to open a dropbox account that'll give both of us extra free space (where stuff doesn't get pulled for lack of activity).
Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #898
davevt98

My series 3 died. I am looking for a tbk image for the TCD648250B. Thanks.
davevt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #899
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevt98 View Post
My series 3 died. I am looking for a tbk image for the TCD648250B. Thanks.
You can try the ones here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post8921060

I don't have an OLED S3 on which to test them, I think one person has had success and another person still has the same problem they started out with, so let me know if they work or not.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #900
s2r22

Quote:
You can try the ones here

I don't have an OLED S3 on which to test them, I think one person has had success and another person still has the same problem they started out with, so let me know if they work or not.
I just registered to let you know that the winmfs image worked just fine for me just now when I put it on the original HD that came in the TCD648250B.

Somehow my disk got corrupted and it was showing in winmfs as not a tivo drive. I restored your .tbk image onto it and it worked fine after a single green screen to do somethings. It went right into guided setup -> Green Screen on first reboot for about 10-15 minutes or so rebooted -> Guided setup -> C&DE -> Guided Setup to working perfectly right now.

I did have a bad cap on the Power supply that did get replaced before I restored the image first however, so that might be an issue for the other person.
s2r22 is offline   Reply With Quote