TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
jfalkingham

TiVo transcoder and IP-based set top box coming 'by the end of*summer'

Let the good times roll

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/23/28...release-summer
1 Roamio pro
Comcast service
jfalkingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Love it! I will be one of the first out of the box with this unit!

Edit

Am I the only one that reads this article to include both the transcoder (TiVo transcoder) and the preview(IP-based set top box)?

Yep - that is how Engadget reads it... Retail preview!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/23/t...p-set-top-box/
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 02-23-2012 at 10:30 PM.
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Woohoo!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Vect0r

Can NOT wait for the Preview STB!!! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY TIVO!!!
Vect0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
nrc
Cracker Soul

Great news. It will be interesting to see how they price the IP STB.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

I'm somewhat hesitant to call the IP-STB a Preview yet. The "IP" infers the box doesn't have a tuner. The Preview has a tuner and cablecard slot. It's a full-blown STB.

It might be a Preview, but Tivo would need to go through another waiver process first. They may do that, or they could bypass that entirely by foregoing tuners and going with a true IP-only Roku-like extender. Having no other information to go on yet, I'm kind of leaning in that direction.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

If this as a STB, Were is the HDMI?

I would still like to see a full blown retail Preview as an option too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

So this would let you stream from all TiVos S1-S4?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Looks to be no...
Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #10
Quake97

This should be good timing. My free DVR from FiOS comes up at the end of July.

Joe
Quake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Very doubtful...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
I'm somewhat hesitant to call the IP-STB a Preview yet. The "IP" infers the box doesn't have a tuner. The Preview has a tuner and cablecard slot. It's a full-blown STB.
Interesting question... Are we sure that TiVo's existing waiver couldn't be leveraged for this product? I haven't read it - just wondering out loud.

On one hand it makes seemingly no sense for TiVo to add yet another disparate product into inventory - on the other hand a tunerless extender may be the only approach that makes sense for the retail market.

Consider this:
A preview with a cablecard and guide data would need to pay a license fee for that data... An IP device (like the iPad) that uses an existing TiVo tuner and associated guide data apparently does not.

That approach should allow TiVo to sell the device without a subscription just like the iPad app with the transcoder.

On top of that we know that TiVo is ramping up its app development platform...

So a Roku type device that is also able to borrow the guide data and spare tuner from an existing TiVo? And no need for a service fee on this additional device?

All conjecture at this point, but I am liking the approach.

I currently have one TiVo split between two rooms with an HDMI splitter - this could be a far easier and elegant solution.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 02-24-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
S1 TiVos don't even do MRV/TTG.

In S2 and S3 TiVos, the transfers aren't designed to be real-time, but there's no theoretical reason you couldn't MRV a program and just not store it. However, the fact that TiVo hasn't done that with the Premiere (i.e., it can't "stream" from an S2 or S3) is probably indicative of what you'll see on the new device.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #14

So this would let you stream TiVo to an iPhone or iPad?

How much do we think something like this would cost? Rough guess?

$200 bucks? $100 bucks?
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
So this would let you stream TiVo to an iPhone or iPad?

How much do we think something like this would cost? Rough guess?

$200 bucks? $100 bucks?
It will allow you to both stream and MRV videos from the TiVo to the iPad. From what I have seen, if you stream live TV it will take over your television - one or the other, not both screens.

Price? - Hard to say... My guess $100 to $150 with no service fee.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 02-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
sirfergy

I hope the Preview lets you manage recordings/season passes.
sirfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
davezatz
Funkadelic

I have a new pic of the transcoder... and someone mentioned being surveyed about a $169 price point.

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
RangerOne
The Hub

Interesting. When did TiVo start to fall in love with yellow? I've now noticed is very prevalent on their website too.

on my home theater and gadgets blog:
RangerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Interesting question... Are we sure that TiVo's existing waiver couldn't be leveraged for this product? I haven't read it - just wondering out loud.

On one hand it makes seemingly no sense for TiVo to add yet another disparate product into inventory - on the other hand a tunerless extender may be the only approach that makes sense for the retail market.
The FCC ruling seemed to be for a specific product (Elite). One of the parties who commented on Tivo's waiver request did suggest to the FCC they eliminate the "analog rule" entirely, but the FCC shot that down and said they'll examine requests on a case-by-case basis. So I don't believe it's a blanket waiver that can cover the Preview too.

There's merit to both approaches. I agree the Roku approach is an easier sell for retail. And I'm totally there, especially if it can borrow a tuner for live streaming. That'd be great for secondary and tertiary TVs.

Edit: Megazone just posted a good, detailed writeup about the IP-STB:

http://www.gizmolovers.com/2012/02/2...b-this-summer/

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 02-24-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
The FCC ruling seemed to be for a specific product (Elite). One of the parties who commented on Tivo's waiver request did suggest to the FCC they eliminate the "analog rule" entirely, but the FCC shot that down and said they'll examine requests on a case-by-case basis. So I don't believe it's a blanket waiver that can cover the Preview too.

There's merit to both approaches. I agree the Roku approach is an easier sell for retail. And I'm totally there, especially if it can borrow a tuner for live streaming. That'd be great for secondary and tertiary TVs.

Edit: Megazone just posted a good, detailed writeup about the IP-STB:

http://www.gizmolovers.com/2012/02/2...b-this-summer/
So it's not even a retail product, it's aimed at the MSO's.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
BigJimOutlaw

Maybe so, but it would be easy to bring to retail customers also.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
Thunderclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I have a new pic of the transcoder... and someone mentioned being surveyed about a $169 price point.
Add me to the list. I hope I can stream to a laptop as well. Though at $169 it seems a bit high, considering you can buy a Roku for $70 or so these days, and it does a lot more than just transcode.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I am hoping for under $150 - but that pricepoint doesn't scare me off.

With their wireless N adapter running $70, I suppose I am a little more realistic in my estimates. Also, TiVo doesn't sell anywhere near the volume that Roku does - so they simply don't have the luxury of such tight margins.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 02-24-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #24
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Also, TiVo doesn't sell anywhere near the volume that Roku does - so they simply don't have the luxury of such tight margins.
True, although this box is very much different internals as it's main purpose is transcoding video. This would make the hardware cost more than a Roku that is designed mostly for just streaming content and not transcoding. My guess is it would be more similar to a Slingbox Pro-HD as for the type of internals that it would require (of course without the digital tuners).
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

I might have to buy both of these. I already have a device that streams TiVo to another room via wireless HDMI, but it's a bit clumsy and flaky, so a Preview type box would be a better solution. (I don't need another tuner, so a full blown Premiere is overkill) And the iPad thing is cool because I bought Slingbox app for my iPad only to discover that my Slingbox is broken and wont stream for more then a few minutes without cutting out. (capacitor problem) I don't want to give sling any more money so I'd rather buy the TiVo product to fill that need instead.

I wonder if the side-loading capability of the transcoder will be added to TiVo Desktop? I think people who own these boxes would like to use them to also capture H.264 versions of their TiVo files on their PCs as well, rather then having to expend CPU cycles to transcode after the transfer using TiVo Desktop Plus.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #26
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

I wonder if the side-loading capability of the transcoder will be added to TiVo Desktop? I think people who own these boxes would like to use them to also capture H.264 versions of their TiVo files on their PCs as well, rather then having to expend CPU cycles to transcode after the transfer using TiVo Desktop Plus.

Dan
someplace (gizmolovers or zatz's?) says the box will use DLNA standard stuff.

I am not really up on that- but i think you could just use windows media center or some other media player to download DLNA content- no?

if so there's no reason to even use tivo desktop- it's basically built into every pc already....
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
someplace (gizmolovers or zatz's?) says the box will use DLNA standard stuff.
Not I. But MZ did cover something by a product guy saying they are moving to DLNA. Not sure when, how, or where they intend to implement it. But the obvious use case of home media to a TiVo. Protected DLNA-esque transport doesn't really help us beyond TiVo created endpoints.

http://www.gizmolovers.com/2012/01/2...ut-the-future/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I dunno... I could see TiVo Desktop going away entirely. Or at least dying of atrophy once the Transcoder is released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
True, although this box is very much different internals as it's main purpose is transcoding video. This would make the hardware cost more than a Roku that is designed mostly for just streaming content and not transcoding. My guess is it would be more similar to a Slingbox Pro-HD as for the type of internals that it would require (of course without the digital tuners).
Yeah, it's more specialized and probably powerful hardware to do what it's doing with four simultaneous streams. Also, TiVo won't move as many boxes as Roku - so smaller production runs would drive up costs too.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #28
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I dunno... I could see TiVo Desktop going away entirely. Or at least dying of atrophy once the Transcoder is released.
It would be cool if I could easily transcode / side load movies from my server to the iPad using Something like Pytivo. Yes - there are other ways, but everything else is mutistep and takes a lot of time and often fails.

This would be an elegant solution.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 02-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #29
mattack

Quote:
Wait, Tivo Desktop is just the way to utilize Tivo To Go, right? (Being on a Mac, since I refuse to buy Toast, I just use kmttg.)

Basically, while having this box to be able to do the transcoding is good, I still would want the ability to download the un-modified recordings optionally. (e.g. when I keep musical performances of TV shows.)

I don't have any Premieres, nor an iPad, but something like this is compelling. I actually like the transcoding part more than the stream-within-the-house part.

A wish that will never happen though -- a way to have subtitles on the transcoded video -- or even open captions (i.e. burned in the recording).. e.g. to use an iPad while on a treadmill. I already use captions most of the time, and very very often record to my other recorder so I can watch faster than realtime.. and leave captions on then.. So end up with open captions.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #30
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Wait, Tivo Desktop is just the way to utilize Tivo To Go, right? (Being on a Mac, since I refuse to buy Toast, I just use kmttg.)

Basically, while having this box to be able to do the transcoding is good, I still would want the ability to download the un-modified recordings optionally. (e.g. when I keep musical performances of TV shows.)
I doubt they will be removing the ability to use TiVoToGo to transfer original recordings especially since few people will buy this transcoding box initially. With the real-time transcoding, they could actually update TiVo Desktop so it never has to do the transcoding on the PC if you have one of these new boxes which would be nice.

Last edited by rainwater : 02-25-2012 at 09:36 AM.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote