TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #31
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
<Del>

Thanks for your work on this, bareyb.
yes, great work indeed in pulling together all the bits & pieces needed to get this running. i know how difficult it was to collect and consolidate all these disparate pieces

and i strongly support everything fofer said about running pytivo on demand as i plan to do the same although i have a desktop and plentiful resources to run it 24/7 if i wished. streambaby meets my needs 99% of the time and i'm not going to run pytivo full time for the few times it will be needed.

/guy
Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
You do know the IBM PC was not introduced until 1981, though?
The revolution was in 1977-82. The Apple II running Visicalc (and its earlier bootleg predecessor "The Spreadsheet") and other accounting/modeling/graphic representational programs changed the business world; in enough microcosmic niches that the genie was out of the bottle.

The later failed IBM pc you mentioned served the useful purpose of stealthing personal computers in volume (mostly clones) past the Mainframe gatekeepers, but the huge leap in demonstrating workflow impact had already been accomplished by then. Lotus 123, etc, and other improvements subsequently allowed by Intel horsepower were incremental refinements in concept, though obviously many magnitudes of magnitudes of enlargement of scope.

No, by 1982 it was all over, with implementation left to the interested student.

EDITED TO ADD: BTW, I had money upfront on the table for IBM pc's in late Summer 1981, but I don't think I actually saw product in any volume until just after the first of the year 1982. But that was a long time ago and my memory could be off a few months.

Last edited by Wil : 02-22-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #33
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Yup! Here ya go. (At least, I set it up to open the page in Safari. It also opens up Terminal now, so you can see what pyTiVo is doing.)

Code:
tell application "Terminal"
	do script "cd /Applications/pyTivo 
./pyTivo.py"
end tell

delay 1

tell application "Safari" to open location "http://localhost:9032/TiVoConnect?Command=Settings&Container=Settings"
This is great. Makes it super easy to launch pyTiVo the few times I use it a year, and then quit it when I'm done. I'm sure many others will appreciate it too!

Thanks for your work on this, bareyb.
Schweet! That works perfectly!

[Steve Jobs] Here's a dopey idea...[/Steve Jobs]

Is there any way we could (notice I say "we" ) make it so the pyTivo Icon stays in the Dock and you can use it to Shutdown pyTivo when you're done? I'd still like to have it launch the web interface, but it would be nice if you could quit from the Dock too.

Of course, it's totally AWESOME the way it is, and I'm completely happy, but it WOULD take it to the next level in terms of being "intuitive" for newbies to use. What do you think? Can it be done?

Last edited by bareyb : 02-22-2012 at 08:01 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #34
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'd thought about that, and tried to create a "shut down" AppleScript (or .command file for Terminal) and wasn't successful. It's a bit more complex than it should be, I'm afraid, having to figure out the dynamically-assigned "process ID" to kill each time -- and I don't have any more free minutes to devote to it right now.

Truth be told, PyTiVoX works fine for me too and I prefer it as a "launch when I need it" kinda thing. So I think I'm done working on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #35
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I'd thought about that, and tried to create a "shut down" AppleScript (or .command file for Terminal) and wasn't successful. It's a bit more complex than it should be, I'm afraid, having to figure out the dynamically-assigned "process ID" to kill each time -- and I don't have any more free minutes to devote to it right now.
No problem. Just a thought... and I'm not even so sure it would be an improvement anyway. I like it a LOT as it is and it's exactly what I wanted. I think I'm done too. It's been a fun little project... I appreciate your help as always.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-22-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #36
gteague
golftango

didn't @wmcbrine address this issue very nicely indeed in these threads and provide two different ways to halt pytivo?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...14#post8960914

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...21#post8961021

i haven't tried either one yet, but it looks to me like you could easily create an applescript from either method and then save it as a 'pystop' app. i think it unrealistic to try to build it into @fofer's start script. and once compiled as an app it could live in the dock or manipulated in other ways.

/guy
Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #37
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
didn't @wmcbrine address this issue very nicely indeed in these threads and provide two different ways to halt pytivo?

i haven't tried either one yet, but it looks to me like you could easily create an applescript from either method and then save it as a 'pystop' app. i think it unrealistic to try to build it into @fofer's start script. and once compiled as an app it could live in the dock or manipulated in other ways.

/guy
Yep. It appears Control-C shuts down pyTivo properly from within Terminal.

ETA: Okay, I have to bolt for a while. We are going to Dinner.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #38
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

/guy
Alright, I guess we are on a waiting list and they'll call us when our table is ready.

What I was looking for, was a single App that could launch pyTivo, STAY in the dock, and then allow you to QUIT pyTivo from the same Icon in the Dock, similar to how other Apps work. I don't really care about creating another script just to shut it down. I can shut it down from the Web Interface just as easily... Seems kind of "clunky" to have one App to start it and one App to shut it down... You know what I mean? It's cleaner in that circumstance to just use the web GUI.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-22-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #39
gteague
golftango

yes, it would indeed be more elegant. i think the sticking point is that the launcher app has to store the process_id the main app is created under and then recall that pid to kill the process.

it sounds trivial and indeed it's most likely mac programming 101 boilerplate code and it seems like it could be entirely programmed in the bash shell, but i've outgrown devoting 4 days of test and development to solve trivial problems when i have at least 3 other options on my plate--not matter they're a little 'klunky' when compared to the efforts of the high-dollar apple programmers!

/guy
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #40
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
yes, it would indeed be more elegant. i think the sticking point is that the launcher app has to store the process_id the main app is created under and then recall that pid to kill the process.

it sounds trivial and indeed it's most likely mac programming 101 boilerplate code and it seems like it could be entirely programmed in the bash shell, but i've outgrown devoting 4 days of test and development to solve trivial problems when i have at least 3 other options on my plate--not matter they're a little 'klunky' when compared to the efforts of the high-dollar apple programmers!

/guy
I hear you Bro. I accomplished what I set out to do. Which was to create an installation Tutorial for beginners. The rest of this is just for fun.

ETA: Oops They just called. OUr table is ready. It's time to go eat... Be back in an hour.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #41
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Yep, this is the crux. The fact is, all the AppleScript is doing is acting as a dumb launcher, sending a launch command. It's done after that. Indeed, the way AppleScript works is, it can send commands, but once you quit the AppleScript, it stops doing things.

If you really want to dive in, here's some links/failed AppleScript attempts that might inspire:

Quote:
http://macstuff.beachdogs.org/blog/?p=31
http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...-command-error
http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?pid=101445
http://guides.macrumors.com/Killing_..._with_Terminal

And armed with tips from those links, these are variations of some
AppleScript snippets I've tried, with no success:

Code:
set app_name to "Python"
set the_pid to (do shell script "ps ax | grep " & (quoted form of
app_name) & " | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'")
if the_pid is not "" then do shell script ("kill -9 " & the_pid)

----------------------------------------

set app_name to "Python"
do shell script "killall " & app_name

----------------------------------------

tell application "System Events"
try
get unix id of process "Python"
end try
set pid to the q of process "Python"
do shell script "killall " & pid
end tell
Still, that being said, you can't really use AppleScript in place of a pyTiVo GUI. At best you'll have to run a second AppleScript. Or maybe this is a job for Automator?

-shrug-

Which brings us full circle. If you want that kind of UI, why not just use PyTiVoX? Yes, it's abandonware, but the last beta works fine for me -- and I'm running Lion. I had to follow a few tips (in the PyTiVoX thread) but now it's working just dandy... with the same results as the "current" pyTiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #42
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Thanks for the thorough tutorial, bareyb. I'm now more excited than ever for my return to the TiVo world with a new Premiere.

ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #43
gteague
golftango

Quote:
<del> why not just use PyTiVoX? Yes, it's abandonware, but the last beta works fine for me -- and I'm running Lion. I had to follow a few tips (in the PyTiVoX thread) but now it's working just dandy... with the same results as the "current" pyTiVo.
yes, my exact experience re pytivox, i had it working just fine. i just decided to go the separates route since most of those tools were being actively supported and now, tks to @bareby and the rest of you guys i know how to take all the components apart and put them back together. and i can run streambaby or pytivo as entirely separate processes and they can be updated separately, which is satisfying.

/guy
Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #44
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
Thanks for the thorough tutorial, bareyb. I'm now more excited than ever for my return to the TiVo world with a new Premiere.
Well then, welcome back to the fold! The new Premiers are fantastic. I just got one myself. You will be an awesome test case for the Tutorial! Let us know how it goes and if it breaks down anywhere along the way for you.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-22-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #45
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
If you want that kind of UI, why not just use PyTiVoX? Yes, it's abandonware, but the last beta works fine for me
I still use it, and for 95% of my viewing I'm satisfied enough that I have not put in the effort to upgrade.

I'm not even sure I have the latest PyTivoX (info says v1.3 8/27/2009) running on OS X 10.6.8. I don't think I even did any tweaking.

But every once in awhile I get a a file that hesitates/stutters, or, more subtly, if you look at action sequences you can see some consistent frame skipping or something resulting in action not as smooth as it should be. I abort and use something like VLC to play these files, instead of the Tivo, but my wife has never really gotten into that switching.

I also have the feeling that a more up to date ffmpeg might better recognize Tivo's playing capability and not transcode so many of the files, resulting in quicker transfers and smaller files on the Tivo.

Are these the reasons you guys are moving forward from PyTivoX? If so, are you in fact getting better results in these areas?
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #46
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
yes, my exact experience re pytivox, i had it working just fine. i just decided to go the separates route since most of those tools were being actively supported and now, tks to @bareby and the rest of you guys i know how to take all the components apart and put them back together. and i can run streambaby or pytivo as entirely separate processes and they can be updated separately, which is satisfying.

/guy
That's sort of why I got into this too. PyTivoX was working (sort of), but it's no longer getting updated, and is supposedly running an ancient version of pyTivo and ffmpeg. In fact, the first version of pyTivoX I tried was Transferring my HD Video in SD...

It seems it did not recognize the new Premiere boxes and as such, defaults to Standard Def. Luckily I found a Beta version that wmcbrine put together that works with the new Premieres. So yeah, it's working again but for how long? I also must admit, I had a bit of a personal vendetta against pyTivo.

I failed to get it working back in 2008 and I was REALLY wanting to find out why. Now that I've messed with both, I think pyTivo is probably the better App for my needs. I like that I can just stick videos and music in their regular folders and have my Tivos see them there.

Fofer's little App is simply kick ass if you ask me. It's exactly what this thing needed. It launches the Terminal App (I like that better), it launches Safari (if it's not already), it launches pyTivo, and it launches the pyTivo Web Interface where you can quit, restart (thank you wmcbrine) or Shutdown as needed. It's simple and it works. I love it.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-22-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #47
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Cool, I am glad to have contributed!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #48
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Cool, I am glad to have contributed!
You're great to work with Fofer. You always turn the gear another notch... I wish I could replace my two business partners with two clones of YOU... We'd make a zillion dollars.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-22-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #49
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

I store our media files on a HD attached to our family iMac - my kids use it primarily. They both have their own logins.

With our current Roku setup, I usually login to the iMac and then use fast-user switching to put up the login window for the kids. That way my account has the little orange checkmark next to it and always stays logged in so that Plex Media Server (and a couple other servers) can be running which serves up our movies to the Roku. This is rarely a problem as long as I get myself logged in first whenever the iMac reboots.

In setting up our new TiVo Premiere, I am wondering whether I could place the pyTiVo launch file into the /launchdaemons folder instead of /launchagents and have it launch on boot instead of on login. Admittedly, I don't have a very deep understanding of how UNIX logins and daemons work so I could be imagining a solution that won't work.

It's certainly not a deal-breaker, but it would sure be nice not to have to worry about logging in my account any time we re-boot.

Thoughts?

ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #50
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
I store our media files on a HD attached to our family iMac - my kids use it primarily. They both have their own logins.

With our current Roku setup, I usually login to the iMac and then use fast-user switching to put up the login window for the kids. That way my account has the little orange checkmark next to it and always stays logged in so that Plex Media Server (and a couple other servers) can be running which serves up our movies to the Roku. This is rarely a problem as long as I get myself logged in first whenever the iMac reboots.

In setting up our new TiVo Premiere, I am wondering whether I could place the pyTiVo launch file into the /launchdaemons folder instead of /launchagents and have it launch on boot instead of on login. Admittedly, I don't have a very deep understanding of how UNIX logins and daemons work so I could be imagining a solution that won't work.

It's certainly not a deal-breaker, but it would sure be nice not to have to worry about logging in my account any time we re-boot.

Thoughts?
There is a way to do what you describe (or at least I think there is) but it's beyond the scope of my knowledge at this point. You may want to post this over in the regular pyTivo thread. There's some guys over there who can point you to the right place.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #51
fluttersby8

Question Auto startup not working

First, thanks for all the useful info.

I'm having trouble getting the .plist to function properly. The file looks precisely like the one you've posted, the path is correct (in fact, is identical to yours - I just copied/pasted), I've checked (several times) to make sure it's not a .txt or .rtf file. I reboot ... no joy.

I use pyTivo all the time and intend to keep it running in the background. It works great when running it manually through Terminal, but having to restart it every time I reboot, and not having access to Terminal while it's running is getting really annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Bonus Step: Setting up pyTivo to Run in the Background Automatically

5. IMPORTANT: Make sure that the file does not end in .txt or .rtf (or really anything other than .conf).
Emphasis mine ... I assume this is a typo, and you meant "anything other than .plist"?
fluttersby8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #52
fluttersby8

Yes, that was the first thing I checked - didn't work. Also, I think the fact that it doesn't show up in my NPL is a good indicator too, lol. As I said, it works perfectly when launched manually, so I know it's configured properly. I'm just not sure what's going on with the .plist.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #53
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttersby8 View Post
Yes, that was the first thing I checked - didn't work. Also, I think the fact that it doesn't show up in my NPL is a good indicator too, lol. As I said, it works perfectly when launched manually, so I know it's configured properly. I'm just not sure what's going on with the .plist.
Bah! I probably should've tested it before I posted it. We'll get it working. We are packing up and leaving for home in a few minutes. In fact, I was just coming in here to shut down and pack the laptop.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #54
Iluvatar

Quote:
I'm having trouble getting the .plist to function properly.
Apologies. I incorrectly typed the plist sample when I provided it to bareyb.

This should work after updating and logoff/logon

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>pyTivo</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>python</string>
		<string>/Applications/pyTivo/pyTivo.py</string>
	</array>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

and
for OS X
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #55
fluttersby8

Excellent - that worked like a charm. Thanks so much.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #56
Iluvatar

Quote:
Excellent - that worked like a charm. Thanks so much.
Great.

The only downside to this method is pyTivo is not properly unloaded when logging off. The shares will eventually disappear from NPL on their own though after 5-10 min.

and
for OS X
Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #57
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Apologies. I incorrectly typed the plist sample when I provided it to bareyb.

This should work after updating and logoff/logon

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>pyTivo</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>python</string>
		<string>/Applications/pyTivo/pyTivo.py</string>
	</array>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>
Cool. Updated both websites with the updated Code.

ETA: Also updated the Pics...

ETA2: Is there any way that "Run pyTivo in Background" could be an option added to the Web Interface? THAT would be awesome... Between including a copy of the pyTivo.conf file with the software, and doing THAT we could (almost) eliminate the need for this thread...

Last edited by bareyb : 02-24-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #58
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
@Iluvatar... I thought you said the new version of pyTivo didn't require Step four? I just downloaded it and there isn't any pyTivo.conf file in it... Did you mean something else?

But now that I'm thinking about it... Why DOESN'T pyTivo just come with the pyTivo.conf file already in it? At least have it set up for Video any way... It's the SAME file for everyone right? Then why put us all through the hassle of having to create if from scratch every time??? Why not just put a copy in the pyTivo Software download?

Couldn't I just skip all those directions in STEP FOUR and simply provide people with a completed pyTivo.conf file that they could just click on and download? Why are we making people create the basic pyTivo.conf file from scratch for every installation? More to the point, why not just include it in the package? What am I missing?

Last edited by bareyb : 02-24-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #59
Iluvatar

Quote:
@Iluvatar... I thought you said the new version of pyTivo didn't require Step four? I just downloaded it and there isn't any pyTivo.conf file in it... Did you mean something else?

But now that I'm thinking about it... Why DOESN'T pyTivo just come with the pyTivo.conf file already in it? At least have it set up for Video any way... It's the SAME file for everyone right? Then why put us all through the hassle of having to create if from scratch every time??? Why not just put a copy in the pyTivo Software download?

Couldn't I just skip all those directions in STEP FOUR and simply provide people with a completed pyTivo.conf file that they could just click on and download? Why are we making people create the basic pyTivo.conf file from scratch for every installation? More to the point, why not just include it in the package? What am I missing?
It creates one if one doesn't exist. Rename your .conf file and open pyTivo to the WebAdmin settings. Change something like adding a share or whatever and it will create the pyTivo conf with those settings after saving.

and
for OS X

Last edited by Iluvatar : 02-24-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #60
Iluvatar

Quote:
I wasn't around when that decision was made. Distributing with an xx.conf.dist file instead as an example for users is pretty common for GUI-less applications and scripts that provide lots of options.

and
for OS X