TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
trety

MRV isssue

I have 2 series 3 Tivo. 1 for bedroom (BR), 1 for living room (LR).
They have been working fine using MRV for a while now, but in the past 2 months, I have started having issues with the LR one.
Both are hardwired and now also have static IP's
The BR one can see the LR one with no problem.
The LR one can see the BR one for a little while and then it disappears. When this happens the BR one can still see the LR one.
When this happens, the LR can still connect to the Tivo service via ethernet
If I restart the LR one, it will see the BR for a while.
I am using Verizon FIOS with a model MI424WR router.

Any ideas?
trety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's the bedroom one you need to restart. Either it's not sending out beacons, or they're not getting through. Restarting it will at least restart the beacons. I can't say the problem won't recur, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by trety View Post
I have 2 series 3 Tivo. 1 for bedroom (BR), 1 for living room (LR).
They have been working fine using MRV for a while now, but in the past 2 months, I have started having issues with the LR one.
Both are hardwired and now also have static IP's
The BR one can see the LR one with no problem.
The LR one can see the BR one for a little while and then it disappears. When this happens the BR one can still see the LR one.
When this happens, the LR can still connect to the Tivo service via ethernet
If I restart the LR one, it will see the BR for a while.
I am using Verizon FIOS with a model MI424WR router.

Any ideas?
Reboot both TiVos and the router.

Can't hurt, might help.

Also, assuming your router's Local Area Network IP address is

xxx.xxx.xxx.1

then you've got

xxx.xxx.xxx.2 through xxx.xxx.xxx.254 to play with.

Figure out what range you want to set aside for non-traveling computers, what range for TiVos, and what range for DHCP addresses (I suggest the lowest amount needed plus one or two more for the unforseen) and set the DHCP range accordingly.

For instance I do

computers

.101 up

TiVos

.201 up

and

DHCP

.250 to .254

Prevents any possibility of the DHCP server sticking its nose where it doesn't belong and interfering with anything.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
trety

Static IP's are set outside the DHCP range already, so that isn't it and rebooting the BR Tivo doesn't solve the problem, the LR Tivo still can't see it until I reboot the LR one.

And yes, rebooting both Tivo's and the router solve the problem, but it comes back quickly.. We are rebooting the LR Tivo multiple times per day right now...
Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Static IP's are set outside the DHCP range already, so that isn't it and rebooting the BR Tivo doesn't solve the problem, the LR Tivo still can't see it until I reboot the LR one.
I don't see the words "rebooted the router" in there anywhere.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
trety

Quote:

And yes, rebooting both Tivo's and the router solve the problem, but it comes back quickly.. We are rebooting the LR Tivo multiple times per day right now...
It's there...
Old 02-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
It's there...
Here's the version I saw.

Quote:

Hello unitron,

trety has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - MRV isssue - in the TiVo Help Center forum of TiVo Community.

This thread is located at:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...2&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

Again...This thread is located at:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...2&goto=newpost

NOTICE: If you are a MOBILE USER on a PDA or cell phone, you can access the thread more quickly here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...3&goto=newpost

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

Yours,
TiVo Community team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=usub&t=483302

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...n&folderid=all
If you edit a comment quickly enough, it doesn't have "last edited at..." in small print at the bottom, but that's no guarantee that the comment wasn't edited.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
fyodor

When I had that problem, simply renewing your network settings would fix the problem.

In terms of longer term solutions, I think that you need to fiddle with the multicast settings on your router. Search for "multicast" for more info.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
trety

I made some changes to the multicast options, so I'll see how it goes.. if it stays connected for a few days, I should be good, since it has been geting worse...
Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
trety

no go on the multicast. lasted about a day... and rebooting the router alone doesn't do anything...
rebooting the LR Tivo by itself still works....
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

If rebooting the router doesn't help, you might try replacing it.

I have the same router (although perhaps not the same revision). But the way my network is set up, everything comes to a switch, with only one line going from the switch to the router. A switch is less likely to mess things up... I mean, you can't even configure it if you want to. Even my wireless goes through access points, to the switch -- I've disabled it on the router. I did all this mostly for speed reasons (gigabit switch, N access points), but that may not be the only benefit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
trety

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
If rebooting the router doesn't help, you might try replacing it.

I have the same router (although perhaps not the same revision). But the way my network is set up, everything comes to a switch, with only one line going from the switch to the router. A switch is less likely to mess things up... I mean, you can't even configure it if you want to. Even my wireless goes through access points, to the switch -- I've disabled it on the router. I did all this mostly for speed reasons (gigabit switch, N access points), but that may not be the only benefit.
I do have a single line leaving the router going to a switch as well.. mostly just to clean up all the wires, since my whole house is wired and the wireless is just for my tablets and 2 laptops ( speed isn't a concern on the laptops)...

While it could be the router, I don't think it is... If it was the router, why is the LR Tivo, the only one with the problem? The BR Tivo doesn't have the problem at all... I am thinking there might be something wrong with the LR Tivo at this point....
Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #13
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I was suggesting "replacing" the router with a switch. If you already have only a switch between the TiVos, then it's the switch you could try replacing.