TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #1231
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
UPDATE: wmcbrine and Iluvatar have been walking me through the process over at the pyTivo forum, and I now have the "Movies" folder and the "Music" folder on my Macbook Pro working on my TiVo. So far we haven't been able to get "Photos" working, but I'm sure that's probably going to happen at some point. This definitely IS a better program than pyTivoX. Gives you a lot more options and you can get music and (supposedly) photos with it.

Side note: I'd like to be able to create an "Installation guide for Beginners" and post it here and over at the pyTivo forum. I can't do that until I get Photos working, so any help with that would be greatly appreciated. I think it would help a lot of folks have access to this awesome program without having to resort to using an outdated version of PyTiVoX.

As far as the command line stuff? The easiest way to deal with that is to simply copy and paste into the Terminal Window and then use the Web interface for the rest. It's not so bad... I'm gonna look into creating an AppleScript that will launch Terminal and then paste in the start up code for pyTiVo. That would be cool...

UPDATE: I did create an Applescript launcher, but this is even better...

You can set up "Terminal" to open on Login and then paste in the commands to launch pyTivo automatically. All I had to do was open "Terminal/Preferences" and go to the window below and PASTE in this:

cd /Applications/pyTivo
./pyTivo.py

Only the first line shows in the picture but it has the whole thing. After that, all you have to do is launch Terminal (or tell it to launch on login) and it will automatically paste in the correct commands to launch pyTivo. After that, pyTivo will be running and all your shares will show up at the bottom of your Tivo. No command line necessary at all. Piece of cake, er Pie.

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2012-02-19 at 12.23.02 PM.png (90.6 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by bareyb : 02-19-2012 at 02:59 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #1232
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb

Me too... I think it's REALLY needed. In fact, I was going to ask you about that program you use to get screen shots. The one you use with arrows and such. That would be an awesome little tool for this project.
Skitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #1233
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgibson0066 View Post
^ log in too large to post here - I pm'ed it to you. I really appreciate your help.

I don't have a video info program - is there a free version that will work?
Got it but haven't had a chance to dig into it yet.

Look at my last post for a link to MediaInfo which is free and very useful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and
for OS X
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #1234
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Skitch.
Ah nuts. I started working on it and fell into a black hole and forgot all about it. I ended up using "Command-Shift-4" and Photoshop.

Anyway the thread is up (I worked on it all day) if you'd like to check it out. If anyone notices any glaring errors or omissions feel free to let me know.

Thread's here: Installing pyTivo on the Mac for Beginners
Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 AM   #1235
gteague
golftango

that looks like a great start! unfortunately, i'm not currently at my mac so i can't step through it.

but i do see a potential problem with your terminal solution ... it looks to me that every time you launch terminal it will launch pytivo and for those of us who use the terminal a lot this isn't a solution since, if i'm right, you are sort of dedicating terminal as only a one app launcher! [g]

i'm not a programmer by any means, but the steps to create an actual application in applescript are dead simple. or i could just supply the editable applescript file and anyone else can change the path and save it as an application. typically it's only one line (the actual terminal command) prefixed by an applescript codeword token to perform the command. tonight, if i get some time i'll try to put together what would be needed. and once you have this as an application it is much more versatile in what you can do with it and you wouldn't have to dedicate terminal to running it. i did kmttg that way.

also, how about adding in streambaby? i already have the tivo desktop for mac app that gives me access to photos, music, and videos if you tweak and hack it a little. it is years old, but still works and saves doing the latter part of your steps. but i had trouble getting streambaby to work initially as a standalone download and thus i ended up installing pytivox because it incorporated it. being able to stream from the mac to the tivo is an invaluable tool for me--i don't really need file transfer until time-warner starts removing the drm flags from their content.

thanks for your work so far. i intend to tear apart my bits and pieces and reinstall everything again based on your guide if i can make sure i get streambaby working.

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 02-20-2012 at 03:04 AM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #1236
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
that looks like a great start! unfortunately, i'm not currently at my mac so i can't step through it.

but i do see a potential problem with your terminal solution ... it looks to me that every time you launch terminal it will launch pytivo and for those of us who use the terminal a lot this isn't a solution since, if i'm right, you are sort of dedicating terminal as only a one app launcher! [g]

i'm not a programmer by any means, but the steps to create an actual application in applescript are dead simple. or i can just supply the editable applescript file and anyone else can change the path and save it as an application. typically it's only one line (the actual terminal command) prefixed by an applescript codeword token to perform the command. tonight, if i get some time i'll try to put together what would be needed. and once you have this as an application it is much more versatile in what you can do with it. i did kmttg that way.

also, i'm fairly sure you can merge the two-step command launch into a single command. i'll have to confirm the exact structure of the single line command when i get back to my mac. i'm not exactly sure how to format the leading './', perhaps:

.//Applications/pyTivo/pyTivo.py

but i'm just not sure about the double '//', that just doesn't look right.

also, how about adding in streambaby? i already have the tivo desktop for mac app that gives me access to photos, music, and videos if you tweak and hack it a little. it is years old, but still works and saves doing the latter part of your steps. but i had trouble getting streambaby to work initially as a standalone download and thus i ended up installing pytivox because it incorporated it.

thanks for your work so far. i intend to tear apart my bits and pieces and reinstall everything again based on your guide if i can make sure i get streambaby working.

/guy
Even if Terminal logs in and starts up pyTivo can't it then be used for other things after that? It only runs that command line one time, upon initial login... You could always close the Terminal window and open a new one too I suppose... A script would be cool if you only wanted it to run part time though. So if you can create one I'll post it in the thread. If all that doesn't work out, there's another way to do it at the pyTivo website where you put a text file into the "Launch Daemon" or something like that. So that's an option too.

Streambaby still works in pyTivoX, but I'm not sure how you would be able to incorporate it into pyTivo. If there's a way I'm game to add it. I'm heading off to Tahoe for some skiing today so I'll be somewhat MiA until next Saturday. I am bringing my laptop though, so I'll be working on it a little when we are in the Cabin.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #1237
gteague
golftango

the reason i was unsure about the terminal command is that some commands don't 'complete', for lack of a better term. the command is alive, but doesn't release the cursor. the current 'fix' for streambaby not working on lion is like that. you can get around such situations by ending the command with a ' &' (space ampersand) and the command will continue to execute, but control will be released back to you with a new command line prompt. i wasn't sure whether pytivo released control back or not. if it does, you're right and that the terminal now can be used for other things. but it's open and many might not want it open or have to close it every time. that's where the applescript application comes in--it will run the command in terminal, but you'll never see the terminal open or close.

your work should be a real service. when i was setting up pytivox and kmttg and streambaby i had to go to at least a dozen websites and utilize bits and pieces from each and it was a real pain.

/guy
Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #1238
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
the reason i was unsure about the terminal command is that some commands don't 'complete', for lack of a better term. the command is alive, but doesn't release the cursor. the current 'fix' for streambaby not working on lion is like that. you can get around such situations by ending the command with a ' &' (space ampersand) and the command will continue to execute, but control will be released back to you with a new command line prompt. i wasn't sure whether pytivo released control back or not. if it does, you're right and that the terminal now can be used for other things. but it's open and many might not want it open or have to close it every time. that's where the applescript application comes in--it will run the command in terminal, but you'll never see the terminal open or close.

your work should be a real service. when i was setting up pytivox and kmttg and streambaby i had to go to at least a dozen websites and utilize bits and pieces from each and it was a real pain.

/guy
I just checked and Terminal does not allow you to enter any new commands when pyTivo is running. Regardless of how it starts up. So you always have to close the window (or open a new one) before you can use the Terminal for other things.

I'd love to have an AppleScript launcher if you can get one to work. I was having a difficult time getting the text to paste into Terminal correctly when I was working on it earlier. Perhaps you'll have better luck.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #1239
gteague
golftango

i'm pretty sure i can get you exactly what you need as i've just done it for myself. but it will be at least this evening later after i've slept off this long night shift! i'd be happy if i'm able to contribute something.

/guy
Old 02-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #1240
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
i'm pretty sure i can get you exactly what you need as i've just done it for myself. but it will be at least this evening later after i've slept off this long night shift! i'd be happy if i'm able to contribute something.

/guy
Cool. Feel free to post it directly in the thread if you want to. That would be a nice contribution and you should get credit for it. I've really been feeling compelled to help too. It's a great cause, and a very cool little app that I'd love to see more people have access to. I basically just tried to create a set
step by step instructions like the ones I was looking for 4 years ago when I tried to install it the first time. If I'd had this thread back then, I think I probably would have been able to do it without much help. I just hope Iluvatar doesn't ever change the link to the ffmpeg build he posted...

Have a good shift. I better hit the sack. Got a long drive tomorrow.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-20-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #1241
rjgibson0066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Got it but haven't had a chance to dig into it yet.

Look at my last post for a link to MediaInfo which is free and very useful
Thanks, I will.

In meantime I am going to pytivo and use these instructions: http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...ers-t2106.html
rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #1242
Iluvatar

Quote:
Thanks, I will.

In meantime I am going to pytivo and use these instructions: http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...ers-t2106.html
Feel free to use those if you want but please at least check the official installation instructions for OS X at the wiki here:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/i...p/OS_X_Install

pyTivo (not streambaby) is truly is not that hard for most users to get running. As always post with questions if you have them in the pyTivo forum or the pyTivo thread here at TCF.

and
for OS X

Last edited by Iluvatar : 02-20-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #1243
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
This is great! Thanks so much bareyb. I'd love to see instructions for streambaby now too, simply because I and so many others have had a VERY time getting that to work with PyTivoX with OS X Lion.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #1244
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Uh oh... Looks like Toast does STREAMING ONLY. It doesn't leave a copy on the TiVo. Back to trying to get PyTiVo to work.. Ugh... I just registered on the site, we'll see how far we get.
Are you sure that's correct? Based on this information, it sounds like you can choose to either stream or download the show:

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/rec...ing-videos-mac

I used to use TivoTransfer with Toast 9, and it was drop-dead simple (but since I upgraded to Lion I Haven't upgraded Toast so I can't speak about Toast 11). If you do end up trying it, please post how you like it.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #1245
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
javabird, just to clarify, bareyb is talking about getting videos that are on his Mac, to transfer to the TiVo... not the other way around.

Toast includes two apps that are TiVo related.

One is TiVoTransfer, and that lets you copy videos from the TiVo, to the Mac.

The other is Mac2TiVo. It allows you send videos (unfortunately, only ones that are in the proper MPEG-2 format) to the TiVo. (bareyb, just to correct you, this is a TRANSFER, not a stream.) The requirement of having to convert all videos to MPEG-2 ahead of time, for this to work though, is enough of a hassle to be a deal-breaker for many.

TiVo Desktop (free from TiVo) is a tiny bit more capable, as it can also handle extracted .tivo files too. You need to know the "trick" to expose the hidden videos tab, though. Go to System Preferences (assuming you've installed TiVo Desktop for Mac OSX) and hold down the apple/command key on the keyboard and open the TiVo Desktop preference pane. You should now see a Videos tab where you can enter the directory for .tivo (or MPEG-2) files along with your Media Access Key.

gteague, you mentioned a way to "tweak and hack" TiVo Desktop a little... does this include getting it to work with videos in formats other than .tivo or MPEG-2?

That being said, the reason pyTiVo and PyTiVoX are preferred here is because it can handle many more video formats... it transcodes them-on-the fly, and lets you transfer them to to the TiVo, without you having to "prepare" anything ahead of time.

AFAIK, the only way to set up any of these videos for streaming to the TiVo is with streambaby. I'd love to see a good set of instructions on how to "manually" set that up on the Mac, without PyTiVoX (since that particular part broke, in Lion.)

Last edited by Fofer : 02-20-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #1246
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
i'm not a programmer by any means, but the steps to create an actual application in applescript are dead simple. or i could just supply the editable applescript file and anyone else can change the path and save it as an application. typically it's only one line (the actual terminal command) prefixed by an applescript codeword token to perform the command. tonight, if i get some time i'll try to put together what would be needed.
Here's how to use make a simple application to start PyTiVo. Open AppleScript Editor and paste this code in:

Code:
do shell script "cd /Applications/pyTivo 
./pyTivo.py"
(and click on "run" to test it.)

This can then be saved as an application.

I'd like to also then have an easy way to quit PyTiVo when I'm done with my transfers. I found this link: Killing an Application With Terminal
...but I don't know how to translate that into an AppleScripted application (or if it's even possible.)

Last edited by Fofer : 02-20-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #1247
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Feel free to use those if you want but please at least check the official installation instructions for OS X at the wiki here:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/i...p/OS_X_Install

pyTivo (not streambaby) is truly is not that hard for most users to get running. As always post with questions if you have them in the pyTivo forum or the pyTivo thread here at TCF.
I do plan to spruce up the thread with some links to the Wiki and the other builds. Mainly I wanted to get something up with some screen shots (this is key) and more detailed (step by step) instructions. Something like that would have really helped me., so that's why I did it. I hope it helps...

Thanks for the info Fofer, I'll look into that. I'm heading off to Tahoe in a couple hours so I better get packing! I'll touch base with you guys once we get there.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-20-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #1248
rjgibson0066

Nothing EVER works for me!!! Trying to get pytivo installed and running but getting this:

Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-ProyTivo robertgibson$ cd /Applications/pyTivo
Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-ProyTivo robertgibson$ ./pyTivo.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./pyTivo.py", line 80, in <module>
while mainloop():
File "./pyTivo.py", line 74, in mainloop
httpd = setup()
File "./pyTivo.py", line 22, in setup
config.init(sys.argv[1:])
File "/Applications/pyTivo/config.py", line 45, in init
configs_found = config.read(config_files)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py", line 297, in read
self._read(fp, filename)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py", line 504, in _read
raise MissingSectionHeaderError(fpname, lineno, line)
ConfigParser.MissingSectionHeaderError: File contains no section headers.
file: /Applications/pyTivo/pyTivo.conf, line: 1
'{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\cocoartf1138\\cocoasubrtf320\n'
Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-ProyTivo robertgibson$

Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #1249
Iluvatar

Quote:
Nothing EVER works for me!!! Trying to get pytivo installed and running but getting this:

Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-ProyTivo robertgibson$ cd /Applications/pyTivo
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./pyTivo.py", line 80, in <module>
while mainloop():
File "./pyTivo.py", line 74, in mainloop
httpd = setup()
File "./pyTivo.py", line 22, in setup
config.init(sys.argv[1:])
File "/Applications/pyTivo/config.py", line 45, in init
configs_found = config.read(config_files)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py", line 297, in read
self._read(fp, filename)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py", line 504, in _read
raise MissingSectionHeaderError(fpname, lineno, line)
ConfigParser.MissingSectionHeaderError: File contains no section headers.
file: /Applications/pyTivo/pyTivo.conf, line: 1
'{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\cocoartf1138\\cocoasubrtf320\n'
Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-ProyTivo robertgibson$

Any ideas?

edit....no I see what is going on. Your text editor is using Rich Text mode and placing some weird formatting in the file. If you are using TextEdit then open your pyTivo.conf and click 'Format' at the top of your screen on your menu bar and select 'Make Plain Text' from the drop down.

Make sure it has at least this:
Code:
[Server]
Save and try again.

and
for OS X

Last edited by Iluvatar : 02-20-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #1250
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yup, you can also set TextEdit's prefs so that it creates new documents in plaintext by default.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #1251
Dagwood70

Streambaby 10.7 setup

Quote:
This is great! Thanks so much bareyb. I'd love to see instructions for streambaby now too, simply because I and so many others have had a VERY time getting that to work with PyTivoX with OS X Lion.
I believe what you are looking for is here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...+up+Streambaby

As a general question; what is the advantage (if any) of pyTiVo over Streambaby? I have the later up and running. I didn't succeed the first time trying to set up pyTiVo and wonder if I should bother trying again since I have Streambaby working brilliantly on my iMac (wired LAN -> wired TiVo).
Dagwood70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #1252
rjgibson0066

The saga continues but in a different form.

It was the textedit format issue and after the fix it started up just fine. However my folder didn't show up in Now Playing. So I restarted the Tivo and tried again. Now I get this......

Last login: Mon Feb 20 17:25:02 on ttys000
Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-Pro:~ robertgibson$ cd /Applications/pyTivo
INFOyTivo.beacon:Announcing shares...
Error no Video plugin exists. Check the type setting for your share.
INFOyTivo.beacon:Scanning for TiVos...
INFOyTivoyTivo is ready.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #1253
Iluvatar

Quote:
The saga continues but in a different form.

It was the textedit format issue and after the fix it started up just fine. However my folder didn't show up in Now Playing. So I restarted the Tivo and tried again. Now I get this......

Last login: Mon Feb 20 17:25:02 on ttys000
Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-Pro:~ robertgibson$ cd /Applications/pyTivo
INFOyTivo.beacon:Announcing shares...
Error no Video plugin exists. Check the type setting for your share.
INFOyTivo.beacon:Scanning for TiVos...
INFOyTivoyTivo is ready.
type = video

not Video. it is case sensitive....although it really shouldn't be.

and
for OS X
Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #1254
rjgibson0066

How do I get into http://localhost:9032 if I can't start the service?

Edit - never mind, you can.

Ok, that worked - thanks so much.

However I put a .mp4 file in the folder and nothing is showing up in the folder on the Tivo. What video formats are supported?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #1255
gteague
golftango

Quote:
<del>
gteague, you mentioned a way to "tweak and hack" TiVo Desktop a little... does this include getting it to work with videos in formats other than .tivo or MPEG-2?
no, i was speaking about the video tab trick you explained. i do still use tivo desktop to let me access itunes and iphoto media on my tivo, but i might change over to pytivo if i get everything working. i've been using the toast tivo transfer for video xfer from mac to tivo, but i am firmly committed to getting streambaby working since what i want is streaming, not transfer.

Quote:
<del>
AFAIK, the only way to set up any of these videos for streaming to the TiVo is with streambaby. I'd love to see a good set of instructions on how to "manually" set that up on the Mac, without PyTiVoX (since that particular part broke, in Lion.)
yes! me too, please!

/guy
Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #1256
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Here's how to use make a simple application to start PyTiVo. Open AppleScript Editor and paste this code in:

Code:
./pyTivo.py"

I'd like to also then have an easy way to quit PyTiVo when I'm done with my transfers. I found this link: Killing an Application With Terminal
...but I don't know how to translate that into an AppleScripted application (or if it's even possible.)
you beat me to the punch with the shell script, but yours is exactly right, based on my scripting of kmttg. thanks! bareby, you can credit fofer with this one.

as far as killing the pytivo process by running a script or application, that would be way beyond my poor shell and script skills. the only way i know is to do it manually:

ps -ax | grep pytivo

note the process_id on the left side, then:

kill -9 <process_id>

or prefix with 'sudo' if it balks.

obviously, the process_id is going to change with each launch and i'm sure you could save it to a temp variable and then have the script reference the temp variable, but that would take unix skills i don't possess.

[later edit]: found that pytivo actually runs under the python process, so the command and the output is:
Code:
roma:/ sysop$ ps -ax | grep python
12110 ttys000    0:19.24 python /Applications/_video/TiVo/pyTivo/pyTivo.py
24007 ttys001    0:00.00 grep python
if you've only got one python process it would be [relatively] easy to pipe or save the process_id to a temp variable and then when you write the script to have it reference the temp variable. you'd have a two-step process where you run one app to load the temp variable with the correct process_id, then then the quit or kill app.
/guy

Last edited by gteague : 02-20-2012 at 11:15 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #1257
Iluvatar

Quote:
How do I get into http://localhost:9032 if I can't start the service?

Edit - never mind, you can.

Ok, that worked - thanks so much.

However I put a .mp4 file in the folder and nothing is showing up in the folder on the Tivo. What video formats are supported?
All video formats (well almost, assuming of course you have an up to date FFmpeg like from the pyTivo forum).

I believe this is related to your Streambaby issue as well. After reviewing your logs I think you may have a firewall issue.

Is the system firewall enabled on your Mac?

and
for OS X
Old 02-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #1258
rjgibson0066

Well I did disable it with Streambaby and still had that problem.

I forgot to disable using pyTivo, but will try right now.

Edit - we have a BINGO! Thank you for hanging in there with me!

How do I enable this Mac to Tivo connection without disabling the firewall.

And, I transferred/watched on recording, and it now shows up in Now Playing as a single entry. I had assumed with pyTivo running it would show up in My PC folder. However, after transferring/watching My PC has disappeared from Now Playing.

Stick with me please.

Last edited by rjgibson0066 : 02-20-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #1259
Iluvatar

Quote:

Code:
./pyTivo.py"

In case anyone wants there is an option to run pyTivo in the background upon user logon or system startup. This is already described in the pyTivo wiki for OS X installation.
-----------

Mac OS X 10.6 and up

Setting pyTivo to launch on startup automatically and in the background on Mac OS X is relatively easy.

* You must make a text file named "pyTivo.plist" with any text editor.

* Place the file in /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents (your user library folder) if you want pyTivo to load only when you are logged on. Or place the file in /Library/LaunchDaemons if you want pyTivo to startup on system boot regardless of whoever is logged in.
** In 10.7 Lion, Apple has hidden the User library folder. To view it open your Finder and hold down the 'Option' key and choose 'Go > Library' from the Finder menu.

* Include the following code in the file (you need to update the path to the your pyTivo folder).

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>pyTivo</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>python</string>
		<string>/path/to/pyTivo/pyTivo.py</string>
	</array>
</dict>
</plist>
This will run pyTivo under the 'python' process in the background. Kill python process and pyTivo goes away until next logon. No windows, no icon, all logger output is shunted to the Console app.

This is the way I have run it for years.

and
for OS X
Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #1260
Iluvatar

Quote:
Well I did disable it with Streambaby and still had that problem.

I forgot to disable using pyTivo, but will try right now.

Edit - we have a BINGO! Thank you for hanging in there with me!

How do I enable this Mac to Tivo connection without disabling the firewall.
Well then I have a feeling then that the TiVo just didn't like your video format. There were a couple of odd codecs such as 'mjpeg' in your log. Try a MP4 with h264 video if you can test with that. I installed streambaby on my Lion OS X last night to test with and had no such issues with my videos.

That's why I don't like streambaby....it's too particular. pyTivo works with anything. With the remux function that is in the recent builds from wmcbrine, lucasnz, or myself it is almost as good as streaming. I can select an MKV for transfer and pyTivo will remux the h264 video and audio into an MP4 automatically. Remux and transfer of full file is typically 10 mins.

and
for OS X