TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #511
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandDune View Post
And I would have no problem if deleting the last item in the folder took me to one of those options, but taking me to the top is a lot of extra clicks (even using the skip forward button). If the skip forward button took me to the last show instead of the last item, that would be a lot less complicated. And taking a look, you're right this behavior does not appear to present itself in the Tivo Suggestions folder. Yet another inconsistency in behavior.
The reason it doesn't do that in the suggestions folder is not "inconsistency". It is that the options aren't there. The options aren't there because they don't apply to the recordings in that folder, any more than they apply to the "HD Recordings" folder.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #512
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandDune View Post
And taking a look, you're right this behavior does not appear to present itself in the Tivo Suggestions folder. Yet another inconsistency in behavior.
Not necessarily inconsistent behavior- It is just that in the suggestions folder, there are some hard-coded, non-recording menu entries at the bottom which might not be present in other folders. So the cursor/selector has somewhere lower to land after the delete.

EDIT: oops, after posting this, I see that lpwcomp essentially posted nearly the exact same comment.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #513
SandDune

Actually, I'll disagree with you both. In both cases the "folder" contains programs followed by menu items. The menu items may be different in both cases, but in both cases they are nonetheless menu items. Users expect consistency in operations between items when they view the items as functionally similar. As such, it is an inconsistency in behavior.

Just my 2˘ as someone who designs user experiences as part of my job.

EDIT: Oh, and back to my original point, this is a change with 20.2.

Last edited by SandDune : 02-19-2012 at 02:23 PM.
SandDune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #514
lessd

I have to applaud all of the people who took the time to contribute to this thread and especially to crxssi for putting it all together. This thread is better at telling TiVo what their Series 4 UI is like for users than I expect they have every had, I hope TiVo people really pay attention to the information in this thread. I don't think TiVo beta groups (if TiVo ever had any beta groups) would ever produced this much good information in such great detail.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #515
WillH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Not sure if this has been reported (I scanned but couldn't find in this thread) but when I do a SEARCH and then GET SEASON PASS, it will always default to the OTA channel number and I don't have an option to select which channel. For instance, searching for SURVIVOR will bring up 46-1 which is a local OTA high def station here in Atlanta for CBN. I prefer it record on 809 which is the hi-def cable channel for CBS. It seems to always default to the lowest channel. It does not give me the option to change the channel - the search will always bring up the lowest number and it is fixed.

If instead of using the Search feature to find the show and get a season pass, if I actually locate the show in the Guide on the channel I wish to record from, and hit record and GET A SEASON PASS, it still defaults to the 46-1 channel and that is what it wants to set the pass for despite my clicking record from the 809 channel in the guide. From here, I have to go ahead and get the season pass and save it but I then have to go back in and change the channel number from within the OPTIONS in the season pass.

In the past, it would even default to a SD channel since they were always the lowest channel number on Comcast's channel lineup. I have since deleted all my SD channels from the Tivo lineup so I assume it would still do this now.

It would be fine like it is if it would allow me to select the channel when I am selecting the season pass on the first go through. Why do I have to save it to a channel I don't want it to record from and then go back and change it? This is a lot of wasted time and key clicks. I could block all my redundant OTA channels but I sometimes watch them.

Those of you not using the OTA channels or have them blocked may not have this issue but it seems worse now with the new firmware.
I discovered another strange behavior with this new 20.2 version and my OTA channels.

My understanding of a season pass is that one has to create a SP for each channel - one cannot create a SP that spans more than one channel. For instance, if I want to record a golf tournament SP for PGA TOUR GOLF, I have to setup one for Golf Channel, one for CBS, one for TNT, etc.. So I would have several season passes for the same show - a SP pass for each channel.

Now, today I noticed that my Tivo was recording golf on 2 CBS stations: The OTA CBS hi def and the cable CBS hi def. This is very odd because I never setup a season pass for the OTA CBS hi def channel - only setup a season pass for the cable CBS channel. I never noticed this before today and I have had this Tivo for almost 2 years now. Also, when I went to the Season Pass Manager, the OTA CBS station doesn't even show up! Very weird and I am not sure how I am going to get rid of it for future recording. I don't need redundant season pass recordings.

Another weird thing is that I wanted to cancel the Golf Channel's re-airing of the golf tournament tonight so I could record a movie and when I went to that listing in the guide and hit record to modify, it brought up the recording that was happening right now - not the one I highlighted. I was not even tuned to the same channel - I was on 212 and the recording was happening on 809 and the channel I highlighted was 849.

Can anyone shed any light on this or is this another bug or a bug that has already been discussed?

Thanks.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #516
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH
Can anyone shed any light on this or is this another bug or a bug that has already been discussed?

Thanks.
It's possible one of the recordings was a suggestion. I've seen instances where the TiVo decides to record a program as a suggestion even though the same exact program is recording as a scheduled on another channel (a number of channels in my cable system are duplicated in the 200s and 800s). From my understanding, suggestions are independent from regular scheduled recordings so this can happen.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #517
WillH

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
It's possible one of the recordings was a suggestion. I've seen instances where the TiVo decides to record a program as a suggestion even though the same exact program is recording as a scheduled on another channel (a number of channels in my cable system are duplicated in the 200s and 800s). From my understanding, suggestions are independent from regular scheduled recordings so this can happen.
I have record suggestions OFF - double checked to make sure.

I "think" something weird is going on with the OTA interaction with the new software version.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #518
L David Matheny

Quote:
I discovered another strange behavior with this new 20.2 version and my OTA channels.

My understanding of a season pass is that one has to create a SP for each channel - one cannot create a SP that spans more than one channel. For instance, if I want to record a golf tournament SP for PGA TOUR GOLF, I have to setup one for Golf Channel, one for CBS, one for TNT, etc.. So I would have several season passes for the same show - a SP pass for each channel.

Now, today I noticed that my Tivo was recording golf on 2 CBS stations: The OTA CBS hi def and the cable CBS hi def. This is very odd because I never setup a season pass for the OTA CBS hi def channel - only setup a season pass for the cable CBS channel. I never noticed this before today and I have had this Tivo for almost 2 years now. Also, when I went to the Season Pass Manager, the OTA CBS station doesn't even show up! Very weird and I am not sure how I am going to get rid of it for future recording. I don't need redundant season pass recordings.

Another weird thing is that I wanted to cancel the Golf Channel's re-airing of the golf tournament tonight so I could record a movie and when I went to that listing in the guide and hit record to modify, it brought up the recording that was happening right now - not the one I highlighted. I was not even tuned to the same channel - I was on 212 and the recording was happening on 809 and the channel I highlighted was 849.

Thanks.
Redundant season passes (same network, same show, different channel) are used for backup in case one station replaces the show with fundraising (PBS) or some other local special. If it's really the same show (same episode number in the guide) only the first (highest priority) season pass will actually record. If you're getting recordings on a channel for which the SP manager doesn't show a season pass, I can't explain that, unless something like a channel lineup change could cause it.

To cancel a scheduled recording, go to the To Do List, not the guide.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #519
cherry ghost

Quote:

Thanks.

You have to go into "options" and select the proper channel/time. The TiVo now defaults to the next airing, not the channel selected in the guide. It's very similar to your previous problem if you go back and read the responses.

Or, as has been stated, use the To Do List.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #520
WillH

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
To cancel a scheduled recording, go to the To Do List, not the guide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
You have to go into "options" and select the proper channel/time. The TiVo now defaults to the next airing, not the channel selected in the guide. It's very similar to your previous problem if you go back and read the responses.

Or, as has been stated, use the To Do List.
Got it - thanks.

However, just from a logical standpoint, seems to me that one should be able to cancel from the guide too - especially since it still throws us out of HDUI mode into SDUI mode (To Do List).

Something goofy is going on with the OTA workings though - No reason that program should have been recording today. Sort of like hitting the garage door opener and it opens mine and the neighbor's too.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #521
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I have to applaud all of the people who took the time to contribute to this thread and especially to crxssi for putting it all together. This thread is better at telling TiVo what their Series 4 UI is like for users than I expect they have every had, I hope TiVo people really pay attention to the information in this thread. I don't think TiVo beta groups (if TiVo ever had any beta groups) would ever produced this much good information in such great detail.
Thanks. I am pretty sure TiVo is watching the thread- with 520 replies and 27,438 views, it is pretty hard to miss at this point. Let's hope it helps TiVo to make some quick and positive changes.

We have always lacked a central place to gather such information in the past. Threads can get ridiculously large and complex (and noisy) and few people that weren't participating will ever take the time to try and figure out conclusions.

Really, a moderated Wiki would probably be a far better way to handle it, but this seems to be working. The main problem (or perhaps feature) is that it relies on just one person (me) to maintain it. In that way it is not democratic and can be biased. On the flip side, it will have consistent wording and style and prevent duplicates.

It is amazing how many little changes TiVo users on this forum can find
Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #522
cherry ghost

Quote:
Got it - thanks.

However, just from a logical standpoint, seems to me that one should be able to cancel from the guide too - especially since it still throws us out of HDUI mode into SDUI mode (To Do List).

Something goofy is going on with the OTA workings though - No reason that program should have been recording today. Sort of like hitting the garage door opener and it opens mine and the neighbor's too.
I actually messed that up. You have to scroll through "Upcoming" to find the episode, not go into "Options"

The OTA recording is odd and I see so few people posting about using both OTA and cable, it might not be confirmed by someone else. See what happens with golf recordings next week on NBC.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #523
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I agree.

TiVo does have their beta groups, but they aren't so extensive in the way that every aspect is tested. I think their main goal is to make sure the software is stable enough for a public release.
TiVo would be wise to take advantage of the asset they have with us here at TCF. A much more diverse group of users who care enough about the TiVo experience to come here and report their information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #524
WillH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
The OTA recording is odd and I see so few people posting about using both OTA and cable, it might not be confirmed by someone else. See what happens with golf recordings next week on NBC.
I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the "cable" portion is via a Comcast cablecard and the "OTA" portion is the unit's built in tuner and the software is wigging out somewhere along the way in sorting the two (or three if you count tuners) hardware components out. It may have something to do with the way the new ELITE handles 4 tuners and it is my understanding that the ELITE dropped the OTA feature? Perhaps there is an oversight somewhere. Dunno. Hopefully someone at Tivo will see this thread and note it is something to be fixed.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #525
brshoemak

I'm surprised not one has noticed this or at least I didn't see it on the latest list but this one annoys me a lot:

When you have a number of recordings in a group and are at the menu where you can actually select 'Play' you used to be able to use Ch+/- to switch to other shows in the group without having to back out of the 'Play' screen.

This might have always been an issue with the HDUI - I just noticed it recently as I started using the HDUI on a permanent basis.
brshoemak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #526
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by brshoemak View Post
I'm surprised not one has noticed this or at least I didn't see it on the latest list but this one annoys me a lot:

When you have a number of recordings in a group and are at the menu where you can actually select 'Play' you used to be able to use Ch+/- to switch to other shows in the group without having to back out of the 'Play' screen.

This might have always been an issue with the HDUI - I just noticed it recently as I started using the HDUI on a permanent basis.
Yes that's always been an issue with the HDUI and a rather annoying one at that.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #527
lpwcomp

Closed Captions

I don't know if this started with 20.2 or not, but closed captions are not displayed for a recording transferred to the Premiere from the computer. Even a .tivo file that was originally transferred from the Premiere. The "info" screen says "This show has closed captions" but none are displayed. CCs are OK for a recording transferred directly from the THD.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #528
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Yes that's always been an issue with the HDUI and a rather annoying one at that.
[using chan to move up down]

I am also recent to the HDUI. That always worked in the SDUI, but I never tried it in the HDUI (which is strange, since I used it all the time in the SDUI). So you are saying the HDUI never supported doing that function? And if so, I am not sure it could be counted as a bug or even a carryover.... more like a wished feature, which wouldn't be covered in this type of changelog.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #529
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I don't know if this started with 20.2 or not, but closed captions are not displayed for a recording transferred to the Premiere from the computer. Even a .tivo file that was originally transferred from the Premiere. The "info" screen says "This show has closed captions" but none are displayed. CCs are OK for a recording transferred directly from the THD.
Hopefully someone else can comment on this, since none of my "PyTiVo'ed" files have closed captions. With the last few updates, people have reported some unusual issues with transferred files, but it is most meta-data related.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #530
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

No comments on the previously last two posts?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #531
moyekj

Quote:
Confirmed. I tuned to live TV to make sure captions were present and working and recorded a 2 minute clip and transferred to my PC.
I then used pyTivo to transfer back the .TiVo file and verified TiVo would not display captions for it. I also then decrypted the .TiVo file to .mpg (playing that with VLC showed captions) and transferred back and still no captions displayed. I don't have TiVo Desktop installed to try it there (and don't really want to do that).

i.e. Captions are present in the downloaded file (since VLC was able to show captions), but somehow get dropped when transferring back to TiVo.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #532
ghuido

My Two Cents after having a TIVO Premiere Elite for a week.

- HD Menu. No Watch Live TV Menu item. S.O. used this a lot in the SD menu and was dissapointed it was not carried over to HD Menu. She can use the watch Live TV button on the Menu
- Might be a legacy item, when playing Music through TIVO (Tivo Desktop). It goes to a screen that is all black and shows the Song Information. This is static and does not move. Ghosting or Burning issue for Plasma. Be nice it if at least rotated or went to some screensaver method
- Have they updated the controls of the -> on the TIVO Remote for the Premiere system? IT seems different behavior than the Series 3 / TIVO HD.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #533
ghuido

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
Once I get 20 I'll run my benchmarks.
where you able to run the bnechmarks?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #534
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
- Have they updated the controls of the -> on the TIVO Remote for the Premiere system? IT seems different behavior than the Series 3 / TIVO HD.
Yes. I vaguely recall, during the initial Setup, it asking me if I wanted the new behavior or the old behavior. Since I am an old, cranky geezer, I chose old behavior (and yelled at it to get off my yard).

There is probably a menu option somewhere to flip it.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #535
ghuido

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yes. I vaguely recall, during the initial Setup, it asking me if I wanted the new behavior or the old behavior. Since I am an old, cranky geezer, I chose old behavior (and yelled at it to get off my yard).

Must have missed it. If anyone knows where it is let me know. I don't get what hte new behavior is supposed to be.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #536
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
There is. You can also enable 30-sec skip with S-P-S-3-0-S, although with 20.2 this is somewhat more difficult.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #537
lpwcomp

Quote:
Must have missed it. If anyone knows where it is let me know. I don't get what hte new behavior is supposed to be.
Settings & Messages->Settings->Remote, CableCARD , & Devices->Remote Control Setup->Part 4:ADVANCE and REPLAY buttons

Old 02-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #538
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
- Might be a legacy item, when playing Music through TIVO (Tivo Desktop). It goes to a screen that is all black and shows the Song Information. This is static and does not move.
It does move. The info window will sit there for N seconds (I've never measured this), and then jump instantly to a new location. It's easy to miss the jumps if you're not watching, but you'll see that the window is no longer centered.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #539
ghuido

Quote:
Settings & Messages->Settings->Remote, CableCARD , & Devices->Remote Control Setup->Part 4:ADVANCE and REPLAY buttons
Thanks that worked
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #540
WillH

My premiere crashed last night. Was 30 sec skip forwarding through some commercials, screen froze, and then the unit did a hard reboot. 15 minutes later it was back up, played the same show again without problems. Interface was very slow and the nav bar was empty (blacked out) for about 1/2 hour.

First time in a long while that it has crashed like this. Used to do this a lot and it seemed to happen when the Tivo network was slow or having issues.

Looks like they still have the unit keyed to the dynamic content they pull from their servers without using caching or other speed up techniques.