TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #3841
Eamus Catuli

Exclamation FFMPEG audio quality

Thanks moyekj! ffmpeg works, but the audio quality sounds awful - sometimes it sound like a 1970s FM radio that isn't quite tuned to the station properly. Back in this thread around post 2390 (from June 2010) there was some discussion of ffmeg audio quality. Would upping the "-ab" parameter help here? I tried with 128k - perhaps I should retry with 192k when I get home tonight?
Eamus Catuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #3842
moyekj

I think the problem is the "aac" library which is being used by ffmpeg (and Hanbrake too I believe) is not very good. Previously ffmpeg would use "libfaac" for aac and it was great, but for licensing reasons could no longer be used. I did a lot of encoding for a portable player back around the time the change to ffmpeg happened and I actually intentionally stuck with older ffmpeg using "libfaac" at the time. I haven't followed ffmpeg/handbrake much any more since I don't do much encoding anymore so don't know what the status is. Perhaps someone else getting good audio can share.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 02-14-2012 at 12:29 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #3843
txporter
One sec, almost done

If you go here, you can get the libfaac.dll encoder and drop it in the same directory as ffmpeg.exe. I think you might need to use the ffmpeg build from that gentleman.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #3844
greggt007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
To diff ways of looking at the same thing. Really, there is no advantage to keeping the file before qsfixing, unless you have a problem with that process itself. Processing of the qsfixed mpg is the best way to go, because any other processing works better after the different errors are removed. What you could do to accomplish a similar thing is to have it qsfix the file, then copy that file to the nas (via the custom commands-essentially create a copy command on the encode setting to copy the qsfixed mpg to the nas) and then you have the original qsfixed mpg still available for any other processing or commercial cuts you want to do.
i finally had time to do this, but my custom encode profile isnt working properly. any suggestions on what an encode profile needs to copy the file from the pc to the nas? should it be empty and just run so that it is output to the folder in the configure options? or should it say something like COPY -i INPUT -o OUTPUT
? (not at computer now to see the code i tried)
greggt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #3845
mattack

Once in a rare while, I see the estimated time for a download be a negative number through the entire download. I think then it decreases (i.e. bigger absolute value), but I don't remember 100% for sure. From what I can tell, the download actually succeeds/finishes properly, so it's just a minor display error.

The following are really minor issues, and I don't expect them to be changed, but here are some more things I notice:
I typically only ever do 1 page of now playing or the whole thing. If it were a checkbox in the main window, that would be more convenient to get to.

The same goes for resume downloads. I'm not even sure if it's possible, and I'm not even SURE I'd use it, but if it were possible to tag one download as 'resume' but the rest as regular full downloads, that might be convenient (would mean less toggling of the menu item).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #3846
Eamus Catuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
If you go here, you can get the libfaac.dll encoder and drop it in the same directory as ffmpeg.exe. I think you might need to use the ffmpeg build from that gentleman.
Thanks txporter. But I still get that "was not copied to the iPod because it cannot be played on this iPod" when I try to sync it (same thing that was happening when using Handbrake 0.9.5).
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #3847
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Not sure if this has been suggested as a possible upgrade, but it would be nice to have the capability to rename a file. In practical terms, I want to be able to copy my wife's exercise video tapes to a Tivo and somehow get them named appropriately. Someone suggested VideoRedo but I can't see paying $50 for what little use I would get out of it.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #3848
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamus Catuli View Post
Thanks txporter. But I still get that "was not copied to the iPod because it cannot be played on this iPod" when I try to sync it (same thing that was happening when using Handbrake 0.9.5).
Can you download MediaInfo and paste a copy of the file info (text view) that you are trying to copy to your Ipod that it is complaining it cannot transfer?
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #3849
Eamus Catuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamus Catuli View Post
The resulting file doesn't have the audio glitch when played on my PC, but now it won't load onto my ipod touch (2nd generation).

Back to the drawing board.
Finally figured it out!! I went with the new version of HandBrake (0.9.5) I mentioned in post 3838 and built a new ".enc" file using the iPod Touch preset recommended here: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/BuiltInPresets

To KMTTGize it, it's:

HANDBRAKE -i INPUT --cpu CPU_CORES -e x264 -q 20.0 -a 1 -E faac -B 128 -6 dpl2 -R Auto -D 0.0 -f mp4 -X 480 -m -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:weightp=0:subme=6:8x8dct=0:tr ellis=0 -o OUTPUT

Works perfectly on an iPod Touch 2nd generation!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #3850
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Can this download videos to my TIVo like PyTivoX or is this more for getting shows OFF the TiVo and onto your Mac?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:52 AM   #3851
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Can this download videos to my TIVo like PyTivoX or is this more for getting shows OFF the TiVo and onto your Mac?
KMTTG is only capable of downloading recordings and doing other things, such as decode, encode to other devices, but there is a 'push' feature which uses PyTivo for the operation, and get video to the Tivo. So, the main function is to download.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #3852
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
KMTTG is only capable of downloading recordings and doing other things, such as decode, encode to other devices, but there is a 'push' feature which uses PyTivo for the operation, and get video to the Tivo. So, the main function is to download.
All I need to do is download some videos onto my TiVo. It sounds like all I need is PyTivoX. Is that correct?
Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #3853
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
All I need to do is download some videos onto my TiVo. It sounds like all I need is PyTivoX. Is that correct?
Or PyTivo.

It can upload videos, but you would need to pull, or initiate the transfer from the tivo. Or push, to initiate from the computer side, which is an option on PyTivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #3854
Soapm

Quote:
Where are you downloading the video's from? Youtube and many sites can download directly to the Tivo...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #3855
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Or PyTivo.

It can upload videos, but you would need to pull, or initiate the transfer from the tivo. Or push, to initiate from the computer side, which is an option on PyTivo.
I thought PyTiVo was for Windows users. Does it work on Macs too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Where are you downloading the video's from? Youtube and many sites can download directly to the Tivo...
Thanks. These aren't YouTube videos. I have that part already set up on my TiVo.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #3856
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

pyTivo is not, and has never been, for Windows users. Ugh, where do people get these ideas? I mean, it works on Windows... reluctantly. It works better on a Unix-based system. Like Mac OS X.

pyTivoX = pyTivo + Streambaby + a GUI front-end for the Mac. Unfortunately it seems to be a dead project, and is not up to date.

pyTivo doesn't need a GUI to work. But to use it, you'd want to be comfortable with the Unix side of your Mac. If you've never opened Terminal, it may make more sense for you to stick with pyTivoX.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 02-17-2012 at 02:05 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #3857
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
pyTivo is not, and has never been, for Windows users. Ugh, where do people get these ideas? I mean, it works on Windows... reluctantly. It works better on a Unix-based system. Like Mac OS X.

pyTivoX = pyTivo + Streambaby + a GUI front-end for the Mac. Unfortunately it seems to be a dead project, and is not up to date.

pyTivo doesn't need a GUI to work. But to use it, you'd want to be comfortable with the Unix side of your Mac. If you've never opened Terminal, it may make more sense for you to stick with pyTivoX.
Yeah. I went through all of that a few years ago before PyTiVoX came out. Never did get it working and I'm not willing to go through all that again. I HATE command line stuff. And I'll be honest Wmcbrine, I've been to the link for your fork on the wiki, and I couldn't even figure out where the hell you are supposed to download the latest version FROM. There's like 20 different versions there. Why can't you put a big fat "DOWNLOAD" button?

For now, PyTiVoX is working, but I can see the writing on the wall. Is there no money to be made from creating such a product that's easy to install? I'd happily pay for it. Can you do this with any other commercially available product? I'd sure like something that is going to have ongoing updates... Has TiVo Desktop gotten any better?

Last edited by bareyb : 02-17-2012 at 04:35 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #3858
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Desktop remains a piece of crap, especially the Mac version, which is deader than pyTivoX. Sorry.

Is there no money to be made? Well, no, it doesn't look like there is. A lot of people say "I'd pay", but then... they don't. So.

pyTivo is not "commercially available", it is simply "available". It's a project, not a product.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 02-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #3859
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
TiVo Desktop remains a piece of crap, especially the Mac version, which is deader than pyTivoX. Sorry.

Is there no money to be made? Well, no, it doesn't look like there is. A lot of people say "I'd pay", but then... they don't. So.

pyTivo is not "commercially available", it is simply "available". It's a project, not a product.
Well I do appreciate the feedback. As I said in the other thread, I think a really good installation guide with lots of screen shots would probably cure many of the installation problems and perhaps negate the need for an installer.

I'm gonna look into it more tomorrow. This can't be THAT hard. I live in Silicon Valley so I could get a software engineer over here in about two minutes and I'm sure they could get me going. I'm just not ready to throw in the towel just yet.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #3860
nvt

Does kmttg not recognize attached drives....?
I upgraded my MacBook with the OWC data doubler which allows you replace the DVD drive with another hard drive
But now I can't point to all this space in kmttg as I get this error
FILES Default Path setting not a valid dir: >>'/Volumes/Data/TiVo/TiVoEncoded/TiVoEncoded'
.TiVo Output Dir setting not a valid dir: '/Volumes/Data/TiVo/TiVoEncoded/TiVoEncoded'....<<<<
For all the locations...Am I doing something wrong or is this just not possible?
Retired:
Series 2 (240and Dual Tuner 649)
nvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #3861
nvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If you don't have VideoRedo then make sure you configure kmttg to use ProjectX. Once configured for ProjectX kmttg will run "QS Fix" and/or "Ad Cut" tasks using ProjectX which should fix any glitches in the original mpeg2 recording.
THanks for the suggestion but now I am confused with the choices and options. I found Project X and have the folder ProjectX in my subdir of kmttg and it is referenced in the setting file
I downloaded the latest version and installed this

When I enabled decrypt and QS fix (this was the new option) the process fails with a message
"you can't open the application tivodecode because PowerPC applications are no longer supported"
>>>> Fixed this with after I found the link for the Mac Wiki issue list
And fixed what has been an erroneous update of Tivodecode....

There does seem to be some problem with finding directories for location of files - the double click methodology does not work - if you select directories that way they all report errors (no matter where you select)

Now just waiting for the processing to finish to see what the output looks like having added QS Fix (which I assume is using the Project X code you mentioned)
And it did and it worked...so this issue is closed but the issue of directory specs not working (another post further down) does seem to be a problem

THanks
Retired:
Series 2 (240and Dual Tuner 649)

Last edited by nvt : 02-18-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Updated info and fixed one of the problems
nvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #3862
peterwking

I'm brand new to kmttg and this forum, so I apologize in advance if this has been covered to death, but I didn't see anything when I searched.

Everything is going ok with my conversions up to the final re-encode phase, then I see lots of errors, "Skipping frame!" messages, then finally a fatal error:

"Couldn't realloc frame buffer(idx), abort

PARSE_MPEG12: add_frames(77539) failed, exit"

After googling around a little, I found the suggestion to add "-noskip -mpegopts vbuf_size=400" switches in the kmttg issue tracker. So I call the following from a command prompt:

D:\kmttg_v0p8q\mencoder\mencoder.exe "D:\kmttg_v0p8q\xyz.mpg" -edl "D:\kmttg_v0p8q\xyz.edl" -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -vf harddup -noskip -mpegopts vbuf_size=400 -o "D:\kmttg_v0p8q\xyz_cut.mpg"

The resulting encode finishes cleanly, but the video is unplayable. I get a brief burst of sound & a static image, then it freezes.

This doesn't surprise me since I'm just stabbing in the dark for anything that will work, but does anyone know what I might be doing wrong here?

Thank you.
peterwking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #3863
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwking View Post
I'm brand new to kmttg and this forum, so I apologize in advance if this has been covered to death, but I didn't see anything when I searched.

Everything is going ok with my conversions up to the final re-encode phase, then I see lots of errors, "Skipping frame!" messages, then finally a fatal error:

"Couldn't realloc frame buffer(idx), abort

PARSE_MPEG12: add_frames(77539) failed, exit"

After googling around a little, I found the suggestion to add "-noskip -mpegopts vbuf_size=400" switches in the kmttg issue tracker. So I call the following from a command prompt:

D:\kmttg_v0p8q\mencoder\mencoder.exe "D:\kmttg_v0p8q\xyz.mpg" -edl "D:\kmttg_v0p8q\xyz.edl" -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -vf harddup -noskip -mpegopts vbuf_size=400 -o "D:\kmttg_v0p8q\xyz_cut.mpg"

The resulting encode finishes cleanly, but the video is unplayable. I get a brief burst of sound & a static image, then it freezes.

This doesn't surprise me since I'm just stabbing in the dark for anything that will work, but does anyone know what I might be doing wrong here?

Thank you.
If you have VideoRedo then configure kmttg for VideoRedo. Otherwise make sure you have kmttg configured for ProjectX. Then include QS Fix in your task flow. To try it on an already downloaded video from your TiVo switch to FILES tab and add the decrypted (.mpg) file and then enable "QS Fix" task and then the "encode" task. Doing so will run the .mpg through ProjectX which will clean up glitches in the video file before the encode task starts. You need to then make sure for any future downloads that you include "QS Fix" in your set.
NOTE: Once configured for ProjectX kmttg will also use it for Ad Cut step instead of mencoder which is what is causing you problems.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #3864
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvt View Post
There does seem to be some problem with finding directories for location of files - the double click methodology does not work - if you select directories that way they all report errors (no matter where you select)
Works fine for me on Windows and Linux machines. I don't have Mac to test on.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #3865
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvt View Post
Does kmttg not recognize attached drives....?
I upgraded my MacBook with the OWC data doubler which allows you replace the DVD drive with another hard drive
But now I can't point to all this space in kmttg as I get this error
FILES Default Path setting not a valid dir: >>'/Volumes/Data/TiVo/TiVoEncoded/TiVoEncoded'
.TiVo Output Dir setting not a valid dir: '/Volumes/Data/TiVo/TiVoEncoded/TiVoEncoded'....<<<<
For all the locations...Am I doing something wrong or is this just not possible?
Why do you have "TiVoEncoded" directory twice in the path? Sounds like perhaps to me the path you really want is:
/Volumes/Data/TiVo/TiVoEncoded
And obviously that directory has to exist and be read/writeable by you.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #3866
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Question:

Where do I look-up the current encoding profiles and how do I change them (the arguments I mean) to create something I want to try for testing?
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #3867
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
Question:

Where do I look-up the current encoding profiles and how do I change them (the arguments I mean) to create something I want to try for testing?
Each profile is a separate file under "encode" folder in kmttg installation. You can use a text editor to modify them. Recommended flow is copy existing one to a new name and then edit it.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #3868
moyekj

FYI, it looks like recent TiVo software updates for Virgin Media broke the RPC capability so that non-TiVo apps no longer work (including the remote in kmttg as indicated in that thread):
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...highlight/true
I was contacted by a kmttg user in UK about it which is how I became aware of it.

Looks like TiVo may have tightened up authentication. Looking at the latest TiVo iOS ipa file from iTunes (which is like a zip file) I see there's a "cdata.p12" file there which appears to be a PKCS12 certificate file used for SSL authentication. That variety means a client side password must be given for authentication to work.
Reason I mention this is I fear the next software update for Series 4 platform in US may well break the RPC capability we have been enjoying the last few months.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #3869
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI, it looks like recent TiVo software updates for Virgin Media broke the RPC capability so that non-TiVo apps no longer work (including the remote in kmttg as indicated in that thread):
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...highlight/true
I was contacted by a kmttg user in UK about it which is how I became aware of it.

Looks like TiVo may have tightened up authentication. Looking at the latest TiVo iOS ipa file from iTunes (which is like a zip file) I see there's a "cdata.p12" file there which appears to be a PKCS12 certificate file used for SSL authentication. That variety means a client side password must be given for authentication to work.
Reason I mention this is I fear the next software update for Series 4 platform in US may well break the RPC capability we have been enjoying the last few months.
If this happens in the US, what would it mean to KMTTG functionality in your opinion?
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #3870
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
If this happens in the US, what would it mean to KMTTG functionality in your opinion?
Not good. Without the password for the PKCS12 file there is no way to get past authentication which means none of the kmttg remote functions would work any longer which is the case for latest Virgin Media software already (and TiVo Commander). I was somewhat encouraged though skeptical when TiVo announced renewed intentions for promoting 3rd party developers, but so far I've seen nothing to sway my skepticism, indeed quite the opposite.