TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #5521
5thdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCableHelp View Post
5thdan- Has the tuning adaptor provisioned for you?
No, it's not working yet. Still rebooting and losing Auth after anyone at TW attempts to fix it.

Last edited by 5thdan : 02-01-2012 at 07:42 PM.
5thdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #5522
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thdan View Post
No, it's not working yet. Still rebooting and losing Auth after anyone at TW attempts to fix it.
If it is a Cisco Tuning Adapter I posted yesterday a list of messages to help troubleshoot them. Hope this may help.

Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=482537

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #5523
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
That's certainly easier said than done. I've been in that situation. What do you suggest we do when this happens? Tie them down, hold them against their will?
Call TW when the installer is trying to leave and ask TW to send someone back out immediately to complete the job. If not, demand a refund for their botched job.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #5524
Dying Lemur

Hellooo. A couple of days ago I bought a Tivo Premiere Elite and have been trying to get it up an running for 3 days now. So far I have tried 5 Scientific Atlanta cable cards, and all have failed. Every one of them has said "Not Staged" and the tech support people from Time Warner have been unable to get any of them staged. The most recent fellow from Time Warner is telling me that he thinks the entire crop of cable cards from Time Warner at 23rd Street in NYC is messed up, and that I should go to a different Time Warner office to get my next card. So then I went uptown and grabbed 2 cards fom a different location and I was told the same thing by the tech on the phone. Has anybody ever heard of such a thing?

Now I have an appointment for tomorrow with a person to come out with hopefully several cards with the chances one might be able to be staged.

Suggestions? Ideas? Anything that may help me to know when the TW person shows up?
Dying Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #5525
cwoody222

Have the TiVo Cable Card hotline number and have the installer call that.

The cards are likely just fine but they're morons and are setting them up wrong and then blaming the hardware.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #5526
5thdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
Call TW when the installer is trying to leave and ask TW to send someone back out immediately to complete the job. If not, demand a refund for their botched job.
It's a "free" install. You do have to make noise to get any help from TW. My tuning adapter issues were not escalated until I started tweeting to @TWCableHelp and posting here.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #5527
5thdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Lemur View Post
Hellooo. A couple of days ago I bought a Tivo Premiere Elite and have been trying to get it up an running for 3 days now. So far I have tried 5 Scientific Atlanta cable cards, and all have failed. Every one of them has said "Not Staged" and the tech support people from Time Warner have been unable to get any of them staged. The most recent fellow from Time Warner is telling me that he thinks the entire crop of cable cards from Time Warner at 23rd Street in NYC is messed up, and that I should go to a different Time Warner office to get my next card. So then I went uptown and grabbed 2 cards fom a different location and I was told the same thing by the tech on the phone. Has anybody ever heard of such a thing?

Now I have an appointment for tomorrow with a person to come out with hopefully several cards with the chances one might be able to be staged.

Suggestions? Ideas? Anything that may help me to know when the TW person shows up?
The national CableCARD hotline is 1-866-532-2598. I received an immediate response from @TWCableHelp on twitter. Do you also have a tuning adapter box?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #5528
5thdan

Quote:
Have the TiVo Cable Card hotline number and have the installer call that.

The cards are likely just fine but they're morons and are setting them up wrong and then blaming the hardware.
This is good advice. I planned to make a video of the latest install to document the incompetence, but the installer seemed unstable so I decided against it. There is no effort on Time Warner's part to allow Tivo/CableCARD integration with their network. Very few people are willing to track down the national CableCARD hotline number on tivocommunity.com and tweet about their issues, so the current policy of ignoring Tivo/CC makes sense from a business standpoint.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #5529
5thdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankincensed View Post
Im always glad I come to this fourm everytime I think about getting a Tivo. I read all the hoops & hassles one has to go through to get a stupid dvr & again realize, its not worth the stress. Thanks all
OTA digital works great with the Tivo. It's true that Time Warner is doing their best to subvert Tivo's efforts to penetrate their DVR market.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #5530
5thdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
About the only way I could imagine a move away from SDV would be if they dropped all the analog content. I personally dont see that happening any time soon.
According to a TW employee I spoke with, more channels will be SDV in the future.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #5531
mjh
Re: Member

A friend of mine recently downgraded from Dish network to Time Warner's broadcast cable in order to lower his TV subscription costs. He purchased a TiVo Premiere for his DVR. I have two TiVo's at my house connected to an OTA antenna. So, while I can advise him about the TiVo, I can't really give him much advice about how to make it work with TWC.

He's only on broadcast cable - the lowest available package. I recall reading that he can make use of a cablecard to map out the broadcast HD channels that are required to be carried on the broadcast package.

First, am I correct so far?
Second, does he also need a tuning adapter to take advantage of the broadcast cable package?

Thanks in advance.
08/05-05/06:HDVR2,146h,RIP
12/03-08/05:HDVR2,105h
04/03-11/03:HDVR2,35h
12/02-04/03:S2SA,40h,lifetime
mjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #5532
bobrt6676

Big Grin TWC CC install kit

I made the jump to Elite yesterday. It's been 2 years since my TivoHD CC install(bit of a lenghty process requiring a truck roll and a $20 charge). So I was a little apprehensive. To my surprise TWDayton has made great strides. I went to the Dayton Mall store and asked for a Cable card install kit. After putting it on my account(10min. process) I took the kit home with my Elite. setup the Elite, got all the updates before installing CC. Installed CC and called the TW number provided and after a 10min. hold a very friendly and knowledgable tech had me up and running in 10 min. No glitches. no issues, all stations working immediately. Wow could not have been easier!!!
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #5533
5thdan

Does the Elite handle SDV without a tuning adapter? TW Austin wouldn't let me do a self install for the CableCARD and tuning adapter. Self install is definitely the way to go.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #5534
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
I made the jump to Elite yesterday. It's been 2 years since my TivoHD CC install(bit of a lenghty process requiring a truck roll and a $20 charge). So I was a little apprehensive. To my surprise TWDayton has made great strides. I went to the Dayton Mall store and asked for a Cable card install kit. After putting it on my account(10min. process) I took the kit home with my Elite. setup the Elite, got all the updates before installing CC. Installed CC and called the TW number provided and after a 10min. hold a very friendly and knowledgable tech had me up and running in 10 min. No glitches. no issues, all stations working immediately. Wow could not have been easier!!!
This is good news. I'm in the Dayton area too. But I can't help reacting with "it's about time and it's too little too late". I know from your location that, as for me, a trip to the Dayton Mall store is at least a 50 minute round trip. Then you waited 20 minutes total at the store and on the phone. Thus more than 70 minutes of your time, plus the car expenses of a 30 mile round trip.

You didn't mention a Tuning Adpater. (??)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #5535
5thdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
If it is a Cisco Tuning Adapter I posted yesterday a list of messages to help troubleshoot them. Hope this may help.

Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=482537
Also make sure the installer uses the correct 12V AC adapter. My installer used the wrong power adapter and the TA would reboot before completely initializing.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #5536
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
This is good news. I'm in the Dayton area too. But I can't help reacting with "it's about time and it's too little too late". I know from your location that, as for me, a trip to the Dayton Mall store is at least a 50 minute round trip. Then you waited 20 minutes total at the store and on the phone. Thus more than 70 minutes of your time, plus the car expenses of a 30 mile round trip.

You didn't mention a Tuning Adpater. (??)
Tuning adapter is part of the CC self install "kit" cablecard, TA, instruction sheet and cables.
70 mins. yes, but better than waiting for a truck roll, followed by 3 hours of a tech that's clueless!!
I could have gone to the Leo street office, much closer, but don't care for the neighborhood. Or could have asked them to ship the kit, did not want to wait.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #5537
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thdan View Post
Also make sure the installer uses the correct 12V AC adapter. My installer used the wrong power adapter and the TA would reboot before completely initializing.
Mine is a Liteon, model# 4019611B
Same specs and model# listed on the Cisco 30 Watt Set-Top Power Supply
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...63/7010514.pdf

Output Specifications
Nominal Output Voltage +12 V
Output Voltage Tolerance +/- 5 percent (11.4 to 12.6 V)
Minimum Load Current 0 A
Maximum load Current 2.5 A
Output Power Max Load 30 Watts
Peak Load Current 2.5 A

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #5538
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Tuning adapter is part of the CC self install "kit" cablecard, TA, instruction sheet and cables.
70 mins. yes, but better than waiting for a truck roll, followed by 3 hours of a tech that's clueless!!
I could have gone to the Leo street office, much closer, but don't care for the neighborhood. Or could have asked them to ship the kit, did not want to wait.
A serioius self install kit ... I'm impressed! (Although it should have been available two years ago.) Do they still include the cheesy short cable that used to come in the TA boxes, which my installer threw away and immediately replaced with a good cable he made up?

The Leo street TWC store??? That's downtown Dayton, right? I never heard of any Dayton store other than the one at Dayton Mall.

EDIT: After only five minutes searching on the TWC web pages I see there is indeed a store on Leo street that provides self-install "services" (as they call it). There also is one at Tipp City. For me, and I suspect for you, this is actually closer than the Dayton Mall, although still probably a 40 minute round trip.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 02-14-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #5539
bobrt6676

Quote:
A serioius self install kit ... I'm impressed! (Although it should have been available two years ago.) Do they still include the cheesy short cable that used to come in the TA boxes, which my installer threw away and immediately replaced with a good cable he made up?

The Leo street TWC store??? That's downtown Dayton, right? I never heard of any Dayton store other than the one at Dayton Mall.

EDIT: After only five minutes searching on the TWC web pages I see there is indeed a store on Leo street that provides self-install "services" (as they call it). There also is one at Tipp City. For me, and I suspect for you, this is actually closer than the Dayton Mall, although still probably a 40 minute round trip.
Leo St is in north Dayton. The cables for the TA in my kit are good quality. I forgot about the Tipp City office but I was coming back from Cincy on 75 so it was an easy stop at the time. And so far 4 days into it my Elite has been problem free. 4 tuners, so sweet!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #5540
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Leo St is in north Dayton. The cables for the TA in my kit are good quality. I forgot about the Tipp City office but I was coming back from Cincy on 75 so it was an easy stop at the time. And so far 4 days into it my Elite has been problem free. 4 tuners, so sweet!
Hope your good experience continues! Is this your first TiVo using a TA? If not I wonder if you have had the "SDV tuning problem", and how frequently?
This is where a SDV channel fails to tune until you retry (e.g., channel up/down) one or more times, and it can cause scheduled recordings to fail due to "no video signal was present". I have this and lose 1 or 2 recordings a week due to it.

and
Old 02-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #5541
bobrt6676

Quote:
Hope your good experience continues! Is this your first TiVo using a TA? If not I wonder if you have had the "SDV tuning problem", and how frequently?
This is where a SDV channel fails to tune until you retry (e.g., channel up/down) one or more times, and it can cause scheduled recordings to fail due to "no video signal was present". I have this and lose 1 or 2 recordings a week due to it.

This is my 4th CC/TA. I have had the issue with TA's where I have to channel up/down to get the station to tune ( usually HGTV/or DIY) but have not missed any recordings thankfully.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #5542
cwoody222

Quote:
This is my 4th CC/TA. I have had the issue with TA's where I have to channel up/down to get the station to tune ( usually HGTV/or DIY) but have not missed any recordings thankfully.
Missed tunes isn't a problem that's going to be fixed by getting new hardware. It's a flaw in the SDV implementation itself.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #5543
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yuck. SDV sounds like a nightmare. If TWC in my area implemented that, that would be the final push I need to just cancel cable TV and go OTA only.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #5544
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Missed tunes isn't a problem that's going to be fixed by getting new hardware. It's a flaw in the SDV implementation itself.
Yes... although it isn't clear to me who's implementation is at fault, the cable co or TiVo? Since neither TiVo nor the cable cos provide any transparency on this issue, we are left guessing. As an example of how tricky the issue might be, it could be a timeout period in the TiVo software, i.e., the tiime TiVo waits after requesting a channel before retrieving the tuning info (e.g., frequency) from the tuning adapter. Perhaps TiVo set this timeout period per the SDV spec but the actual cable co implementation sometimes takes a little longer. Technically this means the fault is the cable co's. However if Tivo could fix it by just increasing that timeout period, I fault them for not doing so. I know beyond a doubt that TiVo has been aware of this problem for literally years by virtue of PM's I have had. Regardless of the cause, we are left in the middle holding the bag. Just another brick in the cut-the-cord wall.

and
Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #5545
cwoody222

I have a Series 3 so I have two CableCARDs, even if they're M-Cards.

Is there a way within the TiVo menus to see if I have M-Cards or S-Cards? I'm thinking of upgrading to a Premiere and I want to know if I already have the type of card I need without having to pull the TiVo out of my rack.

Also, I know this has been asked before but I forget the answer... assuming I do have an M-Card can I just swap it into the new Premiere and it'll work? Or I'll have to call TW to have them set it up? Will there be any problems (ha!) since the card is provisioned for the S3?

I'd like to make the upgrade as smooth as possible, preferably without a truck roll and a visit to TW (except to drop off one of my existing CableCARDs).
Old 02-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #5546
cwoody222

I took the cards out and they're MCards. And TiVo.com says I should be able to just put it in the new Premiere. Here's hoping...
Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #5547
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I took the cards out and they're MCards. And TiVo.com says I should be able to just put it in the new Premiere. Here's hoping...
You can plug them in... but they will have to be reauthorized in TWC system since the Host ID is different.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #5548
scole250

Quote:
Yes... although it isn't clear to me who's implementation is at fault, the cable co or TiVo? Since neither TiVo nor the cable cos provide any transparency on this issue, we are left guessing. As an example of how tricky the issue might be, it could be a timeout period in the TiVo software, i.e., the tiime TiVo waits after requesting a channel before retrieving the tuning info (e.g., frequency) from the tuning adapter. Perhaps TiVo set this timeout period per the SDV spec but the actual cable co implementation sometimes takes a little longer. Technically this means the fault is the cable co's. However if Tivo could fix it by just increasing that timeout period, I fault them for not doing so. I know beyond a doubt that TiVo has been aware of this problem for literally years by virtue of PM's I have had. Regardless of the cause, we are left in the middle holding the bag. Just another brick in the cut-the-cord wall.
I recently had TWC Whole House DVR installed at my house in Goldsboro, part of the RDU TWC system. All the DVRs and receivers are Samsung units. All the units occasionally fail to tune channels or receive On Demand programming. The regular channels, which I assume are switched, give message that channel is not available at this time. When On Demand doesn't work, it works a while trying to get the feed, then just goes blank. I'm not sure the Tivos and tuning adapters are the problem or whole problem. TWC has issues with their own equipment.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #5549
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
I recently had TWC Whole House DVR installed at my house in Goldsboro, part of the RDU TWC system. All the DVRs and receivers are Samsung units. All the units occasionally fail to tune channels or receive On Demand programming. The regular channels, which I assume are switched, give message that channel is not available at this time. When On Demand doesn't work, it works a while trying to get the feed, then just goes blank. I'm not sure the Tivos and tuning adapters are the problem or whole problem. TWC has issues with their own equipment.
Interesting..... Do you sometimes miss recordings (presumably) due to such tuning failures? I agree this seems to point the finger at TWC rather than at TiVo. Have you complained to TWC about this? If so, how have they responded?

and
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #5550
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Interesting..... Do you sometimes miss recordings (presumably) due to such tuning failures? I agree this seems to point the finger at TWC rather than at TiVo. Have you complained to TWC about this? If so, how have they responded?
A new piece for the puzzle... The newer version of TA code added some more info in the 'SDV session info' screens. There is now a 'retune' count field associated with each session. Ive caught the failed tune red handed a couple times lately and in both cases the 'retune' field was nonzero. This suggests that the initial tune fails and is retried successfully but perhaps the protocol between TiVo and TA doesnt allow for that situation...

If you catch it red handed... have a look at the sessions screens for nonzero 'retune'.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote