TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #211
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Ah, well that changes things entirely, doesn't it.

No way will I be getting it at $100 per season.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #212
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
Thanks for the link. Sounds about right.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #213
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Well after mild criticism by me about the grain I remembered that my PS3 was set to gaming mode which uses standard color settings. After switching to my calibrated scheme you really can't notice the grain and it looks amazing!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #214
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Well, I'd say YOU owe ST:TNG an apology!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #215
BrettStah

This is what is being discussed, right?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Next+Gen...=01&id=2326210

I have some best buy gift cards to use, so I'll probably get it from there..

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #216
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
This is what is being discussed, right?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Next+Gen...=01&id=2326210

I have some best buy gift cards to use, so I'll probably get it from there..
Yuppers.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #217
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
I've got a friend who is already complaining that the disc is in 4:3.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #218
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
OAR for the win.

If it had been done 16:9 to begin with, then it should be that, but it wasn't and we'll have to live with it as it was.

I'm guessing they'll do the same thing they did with the T.O.S. set and make good use of the space around the sides for trivia and other nice bonuses.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #219
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Pretty much exactly your guess? Right around there, more or less exactly?
Precisely. More or less.

HORRAYY!!! My "first look" arrived today!

Awwwwww! I'm busy tonight and probably won't have time to start watching 'till Friday night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #220
smark

Just got mine last night when I got back from Vegas at my doorstep. Looking forward to watching.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #221
smark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Well after mild criticism by me about the grain I remembered that my PS3 was set to gaming mode which uses standard color settings. After switching to my calibrated scheme you really can't notice the grain and it looks amazing!
Which setting? I'm watching The Inner Light and it's fairly grainy to me but I don't know if it's the source or not.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #222
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Finished watching The Inner Light last night. I'm really impressed with this set. Everything looks fantastic. No one has mentioned the sound yet, but the 7.1 track sounds wonderful and seems much more immersive than the original stereo mix. Even at $100/season, I'm totally in for the whole series.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #223
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Did you bonk-bonk him on the head?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #224
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
Which setting? I'm watching The Inner Light and it's fairly grainy to me but I don't know if it's the source or not.
My ISF calibrated scheme in my TV. Not the PS3 itself.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #225
DougF

Quote:
You're friends with Bierboy?
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #226
DougF

Watched "Sins of the Father" today. The SD footage was certainly very noticeable, but passed quickly and didn't take me out of the moment as badly as I thought it would.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #227
Fish Man
Phish Food

Just finished watching my "sampler" today.

Overall, I'm very, very impressed.

The 13 seconds of missing footage in "Sins of the Father" is curious. It's one shot in a longer scene. Interesting that that particular camera negative was missing.

I also find in interesting that some departments working on the production seemed to be going for cinematic quality, while other's seemed to actually be thinking, "Meh, it's only TV, I can phone it in."

Case in point:

In "The Inner Light": The matte painting of Kamin's (Picard's) village and the valley below (seen near the beginning when Kamin/Picard goes exploring the country side) is phenomenal. The detail is amazing, absolutely cinema quality (although clearly a matte painting, with some tiny moving people matted in). You can see the "seam" between a hillside to the left of the picture (real) and the long shot of the valley with the village rising up in the right of the shot (matte painting), but I had to freeze-frame even to see that. It was extremely well done.

However, the makeup job of aging Picard/Kamin and his wife is really, really half-aresed. The rubber appliances and the blotchy application of different colors to simulate aged skin is almost high-school-play level. It really looks like the makeup artist was thinking, "It's only TV, it really doesn't have to look that good."

Again, though, overall I'm extremely impressed. I'll probably be spending $100 (or even more) on each season as they come out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #228
vertigo235

It really does look great.

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #229
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
That's proved in the past to being one of those "Don't waste your time or annoy the pig" scenarios.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #230
Win Joy Jr

Just finished watching the sampler as well. Yes, it looks nice. But "Encounter at Farpoint" has not aged well IMHO. Actually, cringe worthly is more like it. "Sins of the Father" was my favorite sine I loved the development of the Klingons and Worf. Never was fond of "The Inner Light".

Since it is only going to be season sets, I will not be getting them. IF they get released to iTunes/Amazon as singe episodes I will get the Klingon/Borg/Scotty/Cliffhangers.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #231
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Joy Jr View Post
Just finished watching the sampler as well. Yes, it looks nice. But "Encounter at Farpoint" has not aged well IMHO. Actually, cringe worthly is more like it.
If by that you mean that very quickly, the characters developed in ways that made their actions and behaviors in "Farpoint" out-of-character for them, then I 100% agree. But, of course, this is common of series pilots in general. Within the first season the actors and writers "find" the characters and develop them in ways that creates what essentially amounts to "continuity errors" in the pilot episode.

That being said, the entire series "looks dated" and can easily be pegged to the late 80's early 90's by hairstyles, fashions (even when the costume designers were trying to make them look "futuristic" or "alien"), and even social attitudes. TOS is easily pegged to the 60's in the same way.

(There's lots of talk of this "datedness" in one of my favorite "guilty pleasure" blogs, Fashon it So)

Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #232
Win Joy Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
If by that you mean that very quickly, the characters developed in ways that made their actions and behaviors in "Farpoint" out-of-character for them, then I 100% agree. But, of course, this is common of series pilots in general. Within the first season the actors and writers "find" the characters and develop them in ways that creates what essentially amounts to "continuity errors" in the pilot episode.

That being said, the entire series "looks dated" and can easily be pegged to the late 80's early 90's by hairstyles, fashions (even when the costume designers were trying to make them look "futuristic" or "alien"), and even social attitudes. TOS is easily pegged to the 60's in the same way.

(There's lots of talk of this "datedness" in one of my favorite "guilty pleasure" blogs, Fashon it So)
I will agree to a point. In the case of TNG, the entire first season was sold without a pilot. But you are right, the characters were able to grow as the writers, actors and producers found their way. To me, except for an odd episode or 2, it started to take off in Season 3 and peaked in season 5.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #233
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I also find in interesting that some departments working on the production seemed to be going for cinematic quality, while other's seemed to actually be thinking, "Meh, it's only TV, I can phone it in."

Case in point:

In "The Inner Light": The matte painting of Kamin's (Picard's) village and the valley below (seen near the beginning when Kamin/Picard goes exploring the country side) is phenomenal. The detail is amazing, absolutely cinema quality (although clearly a matte painting, with some tiny moving people matted in). You can see the "seam" between a hillside to the left of the picture (real) and the long shot of the valley with the village rising up in the right of the shot (matte painting), but I had to freeze-frame even to see that. It was extremely well done.

However, the makeup job of aging Picard/Kamin and his wife is really, really half-aresed. The rubber appliances and the blotchy application of different colors to simulate aged skin is almost high-school-play level. It really looks like the makeup artist was thinking, "It's only TV, it really doesn't have to look that good."
I've been thinking about this and I don't think it's a case of "It's only TV, it really doesn't have to look that good." and more a case of "We don't have time to make it look good!".

As you know, TNG had a very time sensitive production schedule and this type of makeup takes a lot of time to apply (usually hours).
And every minute that Patrick Stewart is in the makeup chair is time he's away from the set and unavailable to shoot footage.

Which is a real problem scheduling wise when Stewart is in practically every scene in the episode.
It's not like they can just shoot around him here.

So I would think that the makeup department wanted to make it look better but just didn't have the time to (money may also have been a factor).

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #234
vertigo235

Which is even more surprising from a show that had to do lots of makeup work for each episode.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #235
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Which is even more surprising from a show that had to do lots of makeup work for each episode.
But not on the lead...
Old 02-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #236
alansh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Anyone that wants a cropped version is a Herbert. Herbert! Herbert! Herbert!

If you want that, you can just use the zoom or stretch settings on your player.

Helpful image from the thread over on AVS Forums, showing an actual TNG film frame with the 4:3 TV aspect marked out. (click to embiggen)
Highslide JS
Yes, in theory you could make a slightly wider image by using the top and bottom of the TV box while expanding the sides to the full frame. But since the director never intended this, there may be studio equipment visible outside the normal safe area. Plus, the TV image is extracted from right of center -- note the crosshairs are right on Picard's nose. If you use the full frame width, he'll be off-center.

Again, you could play around with a combination of selectively cropping the top or bottom and using the expanded image where it's not too noticeable, but you're just reinventing pan and scan. There's going to be shots you can't fix.

Anyway, I just got my copy and have watched "Farpoint". It really looks terrific, though the show itself still needed work (I posted over in the "Farpoint" thread about it.)
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #237
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But not on the lead...
As Rob said, not on Stewart.

Of the regulars, only Michael Dorn's Worf needed more complex than standard makeup and he'd come in early in the morning for that.

Initially it took hours to put on but with practice and casting pieces ahead of time, they got down to about an hour.
http://peteranthonyholder.com/cjad31.htm

Plus since it was rare for Dorn to be in every scene of an episode, they had the option to schedule his shots for later, effectively shooting around him.

With The Inner Light, this was a one off makeup job for Stewart that they hadn't practiced and no doubt took hours to do.
(When they aged Kirk, McCoy, and Scott for The Deadly Years, the actors spent anywhere from three to six hours in the makeup chair.)

Which again, can be a scheduling issue when Stewart is in almost every scene of this episode.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #238
Fish Man
Phish Food

These are excellent points that people are making about the probable scheduling issues in putting on Patrick Stewart's age makeup for The Inner Light. Heck, he's essentially in every frame of this episode!

I hadn't considered that factor. I take back some of the negative remarks I made about the makeup in this episode.

They've got 6 days to make the typical episode from start to finish (but occasionally allow themselves to run over a little bit on particularly complicated episodes, which this may have been one of).

I'd read in several places about how they'd gotten Michael Dorn's makeup time down from around 4 hours to 1 hour. Practice makes perfect. Good points as well that he rarely had the screen time Patrick Stewart did (with exception of some of the "Worf-centric" episodes, like "Sins of the Father").

Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #239
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
These are excellent points that people are making about the probable scheduling issues in putting on Patrick Stewart's age makeup for The Inner Light. Heck, he's essentially in every frame of this episode!

I hadn't considered that factor. I take back some of the negative remarks I made about the makeup in this episode.
Just as a (I think) humorous capper to this discussion, I just saw this over at Memory Alpha.
Quote:
This episode was nominated for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Makeup for a Series.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #240
vertigo235

Great points indeed.