TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #1171
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You probably will have to get TiVo to help you with that. Before you do that, see if you can reproduce the problem using TiVo Desktop, which is the only officially supported method. They won't want to hear about kmttg or pyTivo. (You could also try the TiVo's built-in HTML interface, but even that is considered "unsupported".)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #1172
RAM5

Question PyTivoX plugins?

I want to build a plugin for PyTivoX to stream AirMozilla to the tivo.

My plan was to modify the pytivoyoutubeplugin that's on Google Code.

But can't get that plugin to work with PyTivoX. I suspect that the problem is that I can't actually find the correct .conf file. PyTivo.conf doesn't seem to be in the app bundle. There is a pyTivo.conf.dist in the PyTivo-wmcbrine folder, but making the changes there doesn't seem to work.

Is there a PyTivo.conf somewhere else on a Mac OS 10.6.8 PyTivoX install?

Is modding the PyTivo YouTube plugin the best way to attempt this?
RAM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #1173
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
You probably will have to get TiVo to help you with that. Before you do that, see if you can reproduce the problem using TiVo Desktop, which is the only officially supported method. They won't want to hear about kmttg or pyTivo. (You could also try the TiVo's built-in HTML interface, but even that is considered "unsupported".)
How do I get to the built in HTML?

What does PY?kmttg speak to on the Tivo to request the NPL? I figure I must have over written a file with a 32bit version while trying to get a FTP program to work. I have no idea what could have been over written do I am trying to get almost file by file replacing what I have with 64bit versions.

What command can I use to see the version of a file that is on my Tivo?

Ps... Not sure if this rings a bell for someone but when using Tivo DT I can see it pull up all the files until it gets to 1406 of 1406 then it reboots. This tells me the desktop program can speak to the Tivo just as PY can, it is just displaying the list of files that seems to cause the reboot. There is a showing play list file but I have no idea who calls it into action.

Last edited by Soapm : 11-06-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #1174
RAM5

Soapm:
Quote:
How do I get to the built in HTML?
Just browse to the ip address of your TiVo.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #1175
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM5 View Post
Soapm:

Just browse to the ip address of your TiVo.
I can't find it but there was another port you can use it it would give you a different view of your list.

Anyway, I think I was having a conflict with tserver. Strange but I killed that PID and now it works. Now, off to break something else!
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #1176
RAM5

Thumbs up re: PyTivoX Plugins

Looks like I was barking up the wrong tree.

Wmcbrine's awesome HME/VLC Video Streamer does exactly what I need!

Thank you wmcbrine!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #1177
rgura
RobGTX

Is anyone working on the pyTivoX codebase?

Is anyone actively working on pyTivoX? Are there any planned updated?

Nothing particularly wrong, I just had a few ideas for some improvements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rgura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #1178
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgura View Post
Is anyone actively working on pyTivoX?
Probably not, seeing as the code hasn't been updated in 14 months, and Yoav hasn't logged in here in over 25 months.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #1179
Allshookup
TiVo Newbie

I have been following this thread for a few months as I used to stream from my iMac OSX (10.6 Snow Leopard) without any problems but after the OSX (10.7 Lion) upgrade I can not stream from my iMac with pyTivoX. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall it, I have tried most of the "hacks" listed in the thread but nothing has worked. I can get the Channel listed and even see the videos that are on my iMac listed but when I click to play it fails. Is there any one who is using pyTivoX 1.3 or beta and it is working on OSX Lion? If so could you please explain step by step how you were able to get it working.
Thanks for any help I can get.
Allshookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #1180
seattlewendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allshookup View Post
I have been following this thread for a few months as I used to stream from my iMac OSX (10.6 Snow Leopard) without any problems but after the OSX (10.7 Lion) upgrade I can not stream from my iMac with pyTivoX. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall it, I have tried most of the "hacks" listed in the thread but nothing has worked. I can get the Channel listed and even see the videos that are on my iMac listed but when I click to play it fails. Is there any one who is using pyTivoX 1.3 or beta and it is working on OSX Lion? If so could you please explain step by step how you were able to get it working.
I am using it on Lion, and it works flawlessly with some additional work on your part. note* this came from the message board the the developer of the program use to maintain (he's m.i.a.). I believe someone else on the board figured it out.
1-Launch pyTivox as normal
2-Launch a Terminal window (if you don't know how to do this google it)
3-Type:
mDNS -R "streambaby" _tivo-hme._tcp . 7290 path=/streambaby/
Type it exactly as above (with spaces quotes, everything)
4-Go to your Tivo, and "streambaby" should be under "showcases & apps". If it is not there, go to live tv, and back to the interface. It should appear.
5-Streambaby will remain in apps as long as your mac remains connected to the network. If your mac goes to sleep for any reason you are going to have to redo this process.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #1181
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Whoa.

I was wondering where all my HD space was going. I upgraded to Lion awhile ago, pyTivoX works fine for me so I never did any of the sleuthing done here. Using Disk Inventory X I discovered the streambaby.log is 174 gigs! Doesn't even work without manual intervention as listed above. Must have built up over time since I upgraded. Just wanted to share that if it impacts anyone else....
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #1182
herbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler
Whoa.

I was wondering where all my HD space was going. I upgraded to Lion awhile ago, pyTivoX works fine for me so I never did any of the sleuthing done here. Using Disk Inventory X I discovered the streambaby.log is 174 gigs! Doesn't even work without manual intervention as listed above. Must have built up over time since I upgraded. Just wanted to share that if it impacts anyone else....
Ditto! Like 2 days ago I ran out of space and found a 54g stream baby log. I don't even use that portion anymore so I just turned stream baby off in the prefs.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #1183
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbman View Post
Ditto! Like 2 days ago I ran out of space and found a 54g stream baby log. I don't even use that portion anymore so I just turned stream baby off in the prefs.
Turned it off as well. Quite a big log file. I was perplexed as to what was eating my space.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #1184
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM5 View Post
Looks like I was barking up the wrong tree.

Wmcbrine's awesome HME/VLC Video Streamer does exactly what I need!

Thank you wmcbrine!
Thanks - for anyone following along, the link in the above post is malformed, it is actually: http://github.com/wmcbrine/hmevlc

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #1185
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler View Post
Whoa.

Indeed, here is a Google Code bug report discussing the same: http://code.google.com/p/pytivox/issues/detail?id=42

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #1186
NormM

pytivox under lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allshookup View Post
I saw this in another forum and it works for me with my TiVo HD. To get pytivox exported folders to appear in the "Now Playing" list, you should have the regular version of streambaby downloaded. Then

1) quit pytivox
2) execute "streambaby" (e.g., from a spotlight search)
3) quit streambaby
4) start pytivox

You'll need to do this each time you reboot your mac.
NormM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #1187
elmeng

Has anyone noticed anything about the resolution of files you have download using Premiere, edited and uploading back to Tivo Premiere using pyTivoX? The uploaded file are changed to 480p on the Tivo.

I download HD TV, make changes with Toast, save them as 1080p or 720p blu-ray m2st files and reload them back to the premiere and the premiere changes them to 480p files. Have you found the same to be true? I have a 30 return window and it's a deal breaker.

This was not a problem with my Tivo series 3.

Leslie

Last edited by elmeng : 02-07-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: clarity
elmeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #1188
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmeng View Post
Has anyone noticed anything about the resolution of files you have download using Premiere, edited and uploading back to Tivo Premiere using pyTivoX? The uploaded file are changed to 480p on the Tivo.

I download HD TV, make changes with Toast, save them as 1080p or 720p blu-ray m2st files and reload them back to the premiere and the premiere changes them to 480p files. Have you found the same to be true? I have a 30 return window and it's a deal breaker.

This was not a problem with my Tivo series 3.

Leslie
You're running an ancient version of pyTivo is the problem. Upgrade to latest wmcbrine version to solve the issue. pyTivoX is not actively being updated and hasn't been for a while so you may just want to get straight pyTivo.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #1189
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

And to elaborate, it happens because that version of pyTivo predates the Premiere, and doesn't recognize the Premiere as an HD unit.

But if you get the "beta" version of pyTivoX from the official site, it should work. (?)

Last edited by wmcbrine : 02-07-2012 at 01:47 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #1190
gteague
golftango

arghhh, i had this working perfectly under snow leopard and now it's gone south. using the tips above i got it limping along again, but nearly every video fails with a 0xfff error.

thanks,

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 02-08-2012 at 09:10 AM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #1191
elmeng

Quote:
And to elaborate, it happens because that version of pyTivo predates the Premiere, and doesn't recognize the Premiere as an HD unit.

But if you get the "beta" version of pyTivoX from the official site, it should work. (?)
Thanks, that did it.

Next problem is the Premiere does put the same icon up that the original file displayed under my shows, just a generic version. This maybe a problem with the txt file that kmttg generates.
elmeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #1192
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
arghhh, i had this working perfectly under snow leopard and now it's gone south. using the tips above i got it limping along again, but nearly every video fails with a 0xfff error.

thanks,

/guy
this appears in some way to be linked with the 'quality' setting on the tivo when you start to play the video. most videos fail with the above error message when i select the default 'quality: same' setting, but succeed when i select any lower quality. before lion and having to enter the mDNS command manually all videos worked at the default 'same' quality.

any ideas on this?

/guy
Old 02-17-2012, 03:06 AM   #1193
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

I just downloaded the beta hoping I'd get a little better video quality. It seems like the old version was downloading my HD Videos in SD. Hopefully that was the case and the beta will fix it.

Is PyTivoX still the best software for downloading to Tivo? Is there something else out there that works better? It's been awhile since I attempted any of this, but if it works out this will be awesome! Any advice greatly appreciated.

ETA: Yep. That was the problem. My video is downloading in HD now. What a cool little program!

Last edited by bareyb : 02-17-2012 at 03:35 AM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #1194
rjgibson0066

Disclaimer - Newbie about these software products...

What am I doing wrong? I downloaded pytivox, added a file, hit apply, but don't see it in Now Playing.

Also I did the following commands below, and do see streambaby in Showcases, but when I click on it my Tivo just hangs. I don't know from the streambaby zip file how to install it.

I have a Mac running Lion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlewendell View Post
I am using it on Lion, and it works flawlessly with some additional work on your part. note* this came from the message board the the developer of the program use to maintain (he's m.i.a.). I believe someone else on the board figured it out.
1-Launch pyTivox as normal
2-Launch a Terminal window (if you don't know how to do this google it)
3-Type:
mDNS -R "streambaby" _tivo-hme._tcp . 7290 path=/streambaby/
Type it exactly as above (with spaces quotes, everything)
4-Go to your Tivo, and "streambaby" should be under "showcases & apps". If it is not there, go to live tv, and back to the interface. It should appear.
5-Streambaby will remain in apps as long as your mac remains connected to the network. If your mac goes to sleep for any reason you are going to have to redo this process.

Last edited by rjgibson0066 : 02-17-2012 at 01:41 PM.
rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #1195
rjgibson0066

Well I do now see My Share folder, but there is nothing in it - this despite having specified a folder and clicking Apply.

And when I try to go back into pyTivox the second time, it won't open.

Frustrating.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #1196
rjgibson0066

Ok, did some required reading for past pages on this thread. In trying to compile own FFmpeg, I get this, despite having Xcode installed:

Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-Pro:~ robertgibson$ sudo port install ffmpeg +no_x11
Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute
Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.
---> Computing dependencies for ffmpegError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-Pro:~ robertgibson$

Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #1197
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgibson0066 View Post
Ok, did some required reading for past pages on this thread. In trying to compile own FFmpeg, I get this, despite having Xcode installed:

Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-Pro:~ robertgibson$ sudo port install ffmpeg +no_x11
Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute
Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.
---> Computing dependencies for ffmpegError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-Pro:~ robertgibson$
Something is wrong with your build environment. Perhaps the PATH varialble wasn't updated correctly. Look at MacPorts documentation.

Any particular reason you are building your own when ready to use binaries exist? This is from the pyTivo wiki.

I also would recommend not using pyTivoX. It is abandonware. Go straight pyTivo or streambaby instead.

Last edited by Iluvatar : 02-17-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #1198
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Something is wrong with your build environment. Perhaps the PATH varialble wasn't updated correctly. Look at MacPorts documentation.

Any particular reason you are building your own when ready to use binaries exist? This is from the pyTivo wiki.

I also would recommend not using pyTivoX. It is abandonware. Go straight pyTivo or streambaby instead.
Well that's weird. I didn't know that and installed it and it works perfectly... Maybe I need to go look into buying TiVo Desktop? It sounds like this whole Pytivo thing is pretty messed up. That's too bad too, it's a very helpful product. I wish to hell somebody would build a commercial version that I could Pay for, that would have ongoing support.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #1199
rjgibson0066

I don't know - thought building one was easy too.

I tried using an existing one, put it in a new folder, and pointed to it in the .ini file, but then get this:

Last login: Fri Feb 17 16:43:29 on ttys000
Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-Pro:~ robertgibson$ /Users/robertgibson/Documents/streambaby-0.29/streambaby ; exit;
Initializing StreamBaby v0.29...
02/17/12 17:22:25 FFmpegJavaVideoModule: Unable to load FFmpeg native libraries
02/17/12 17:22:26 Listener: added factory
02/17/12 17:22:26 Main: streambaby ready & listening

Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #1200
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Well that's weird. I didn't know that and installed it and it works perfectly... Maybe I need to go look into buying TiVo Desktop? It sounds like this whole Pytivo thing is pretty messed up. That's too bad too, it's a very helpful product. I wish to hell somebody would build a commercial version that I could Pay for, that would have ongoing support.
Do whatever you wish but pyTivo works perfectly for me. pyTivoX is not pyTivo. It is a different program made by a TCF user that blended pyTivo (a very very old version) and streambaby together in a GUI. At one time it was useful and easy. Today, if you can get it to work, it is still useful although definitely no longer easy to install on OS X 10.7, but it was abandoned long ago.

pyTivo (the original) has continued to be developed and supported by many. streambaby has been abandoned as well but still generally works OK when used by itself outside of pyTivoX.

If you want support for pyTivo go to it's proper thread here at TCF or it's forum at pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum. You generally won't get the best support in this thread for non pyTivoX questions as it is an app that the majority of pyTivo users do not use.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote