TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #661
aindik

Anyone know how to get iTiVo to leave the AC3 audio stream in the files it creates? Handbrake does this from DVDs. How can I get iTiVo to do it with these files?
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #662
psywzrd

I can't seem to get itivo to download an entire show for me from my s3 tivo. I'm using the "Decrypt" option and it seems to quit after downloading 4.29GB which is nowhere near the entire program (it's a football game). Any idea why it would be quitting like that?
psywzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #663
psywzrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
I can't seem to get itivo to download an entire show for me from my s3 tivo. I'm using the "Decrypt" option and it seems to quit after downloading 4.29GB which is nowhere near the entire program (it's a football game). Any idea why it would be quitting like that?

Bump. Please see above. Does anyone know what the problem could be? If not, any suggestions for another program that might do the same thing? I really don't use the feature enough to justify spending the money on Tivo's solution with Toast (plus it doesn't seem as elegant to me) but I guess I might have to bite the bullet if there aren't any other viable options.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #664
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
Bump. Please see above. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
First, I assume you're on a Mac (see title of this thread). If not, you might be downloading to a PC FAT partition, which can't go over 4 GB.

I tried iTiVo but found it unsuitable for a different reason, said reason ironically being that I didn't want to decrypt and there was no way to prevent that.

There are other programs discussed in this forum. E.g. I use kmttg to download to my Mac, and I use pyTivoX to send programs from my Mac to my TiVo. These programs are free, there is no need to pay TiVo or to buy Toast.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #665
psywzrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
First, I assume you're on a Mac (see title of this thread). If not, you might be downloading to a PC FAT partition, which can't go over 4 GB.

I tried iTiVo but found it unsuitable for a different reason, said reason ironically being that I didn't want to decrypt and there was no way to prevent that.

There are other programs discussed in this forum. E.g. I use kmttg to download to my Mac, and I use pyTivoX to send programs from my Mac to my TiVo. These programs are free, there is no need to pay TiVo or to buy Toast.
I am on a Mac but I'm actually trying to download to an external hard drive (connected via USB) that's FAT32. I'm starting to think that my wireless connection might be the problem though. Maybe it's just crapping out during the transfer and that is causing the transfer to stop. I'm thinking about running some cat5 or whatever to make it a wired connection from my Tivo to my wifi router.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #666
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Like he just told you, FAT32 won't hold a file bigger than 4 GB. There is no need to speculate about alternative causes. That's it.

If you want that drive to be useful for holding TiVo recordings, you'll have to reformat it to HFS+ or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #667
psywzrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Like he just told you, FAT32 won't hold a file bigger than 4 GB. There is no need to speculate about alternative causes. That's it.

If you want that drive to be useful for holding TiVo recordings, you'll have to reformat it to HFS+ or something.
I understand that but the conversion has crapped out many times way before 4GB and I have also had it go as far as 4.29GB and that's obviously over 4GB. Either way I think I'm going to attempt to wire everything up because that will at least eliminate the wireless aspect as a possible cause.

Last edited by psywzrd : 02-17-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #668
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No, actually 4.29 = 4 in this case. It's the difference between counting in multiples of 1000 (i.e., 4 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000), or multiples of 1024. Technically, the later should be a "gibibyte", abbreviated GiB instead of GB, but no one does that. 4 GiB (4 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024) is the true 32-bit limit; sometimes that will be reported in "true" gigabytes, which comes out as 4.29.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #669
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

So, I'm prepping to replace a failing hard drive, and I've transferred 180 GB to my Mac. And... I just realized that I didn't ask iTiVo transfer the metadata. D'oh!

Can anyone think of a quick way to get the metadata files for these transfers without having to fully redownload them?
thenightfly42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #670
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightfly42 View Post
Can anyone think of a quick way to get the metadata files for these transfers without having to fully redownload them?
Yup!
I use KMTTG for metadata downloads. (Among other things)
Old 07-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #671
shelbel

iTiVo programs disappearing

Hi--

I had always been able to download shows with iTiVo, no problem. But sometime after I upgraded to Snow Leopard and TiVo HD, it all became a crapshoot (don't know when exactly b/c I didn't try to use iTiVo for a long time in between).

I have iTiVo 1.7.6, and I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.7, and I've got a TiVo HD with a MyTiVo Expander hard drive.

When I run iTiVo, I can connect to the TiVo, I can select programs and run the download/convert-to-iPod-format. The process takes around a half-hour for a one-hour non-HD show. iTiVo indicates that it's done its job, and Growl tells me the show has been downloaded. But the show doesn't appear in iTunes (as per the iTiVo settings), it doesn't appear in the--empty--program folder in my User/movies folder on my Mac. I've searched via Spotlight for the show name, the individual program name, even the number that appears after the show name in the iTiVo display. Nada. I've tried this dozens of times... and then once or twice the show has mysteriously appeared in iTunes.

Has anyone else experienced this, and was it fixable?
shelbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #672
javabird

I have similar setup as you, and sometimes I've noticed a show gets put into the wrong library in iTunes. For example, a movie might go into the TV shows folder by mistake.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #673
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

iTiVo EOL'd?

Is iTiVo no longer under active development? Seems to me that not much is happening with it. I've been using v 1.7.7b3 for a couple of years or so.

Up until recently, I was running OS X 10.5.8 and using iTivo on my personal Mac. Things worked more or less well. Then, I updated to OS X 10.6.0 from the Snow Leo install DVD followed by the 10.6.8 combined updater. So, I made the leap from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8, following which iTiVo developed a glitch.

Now, when I queue up shows to be transferred, the download queue frequently fails to show the episode name in the "Episode" column of the Download Queue. If the titles are there, usually, following completion of the first download, when the queue updates, the Episode column becomes empty.

At the same time, because iTiVo loses track of the episode names, the recording files on Mac take the form ShowName - 1234567.mpg and ShowName - 1234567.mpg.txt as if there is no episode title. (I use decrypt and create the metadata ".mpg.txt" file as well.)

Is this a Java problem? Is there a fix?

As I understand it, iTiVo uses AppleScript. Is the source of the "iTiVo.scpt" within the application bundle available? The script itself was saved as run only so there's no modification possible. If iTiVo is no longer being updated by others, I'd like to be able to update and fix it myself.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #674
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
At the same time, because iTiVo loses track of the episode names, the recording files on Mac take the form ShowName - 1234567.mpg and ShowName - 1234567.mpg.txt as if there is no episode title. (I use decrypt and create the metadata ".mpg.txt" file as well.)
This was just what I came to ask. The iTivo app has show name correct, but when added to iTunes, it gets lost, and the episode title appears.

If Yoav is planning any updates, I've love to see it show on iTunes as "MM-DD Show" so a listing will be chronological and easy to see on iPad. I now do this manually, not a big deal really. Great piece of SW.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:20 AM   #675
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
If Yoav is planning any updates
Yoav hasn't posted in TiVo Community since 2009. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any updates.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #676
herbman

Happy, and a question

I am *VERY* happy using iTiVo with my iPhone 4 running IOS 5. I now have subscriptions to some shows, and I have conversion to iPhone format, auto-adding to iTunes. With IOS 5 I have automatic wifi syncing, so basically, this means I can simply leave in the morning and there will be new shows on my phone without me doing a thing! Simply awesome.

Question:
Does anyone have a superior custom encoding setup for the iPhone 4, not just the normal iPhone? I would love to preserve HD programming as well as SD.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #677
test drive

Question Itivo "Download queue" window pane, missing?

Has anyone else experienced the disappearance of the "download queue" window pane typically seen in the bottom half of the screen on Itivo app? I can no longer see the expected split screen and download queue lower half in the app's window, and it is not clear to me if it is simply a preference that I inadvertently triggered or something's gone wrong? It typically had worked great, and would be useful to see it again as otherwise, pending downloads are hard to track. Not sure if I have to reinstall app, or if there is a quick fix?

Thanks for assistance.
test drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #678
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Click and drag up from the dot:

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #679
test drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Click and drag up from the dot:

Perfect...I assumed it was some type of user error on my part...thank you!
test drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #680
hearncl

Missing audio in download

I am downloading a program called "Bluegrass Underground" (PBS, 30 minutes, HD) from a TiVo S3 to a Mac Pro running Lion. The video downloads perfectly, but the resulting .mp4 file has no audio. I'm using the Quicktime (H264 5Mbps) format, but other iTiVo formats give the same problem. Other iTiVo settings are the defaults.

Other programs recorded on the S3 (PBS and other channels) download with both video and audio. "Bluegrass Underground" plays perfectly on the S3 itself; based on my receiver's display, the audio appears to be 2-channel stereo.

Any explanations and/or suggestions will be appreciated.
hearncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #681
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Does it play in VLC?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #682
hearncl

Quote:
Does it play in VLC?
Same problem--no audio at all. Same with Mpeg Streamclip. I also moved the .mp4 file into Handbrake, which shows that it has no audio.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #683
hearncl

Missing audio in download--a partial solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearncl View Post
I am downloading a program called "Bluegrass Underground" (PBS, 30 minutes, HD) from a TiVo S3 to a Mac Pro running Lion. The video downloads perfectly, but the resulting .mp4 file has no audio. I'm using the Quicktime (H264 5Mbps) format, but other iTiVo formats give the same problem. Other iTiVo settings are the defaults.

Other programs recorded on the S3 (PBS and other channels) download with both video and audio. "Bluegrass Underground" plays perfectly on the S3 itself; based on my receiver's display, the audio appears to be 2-channel stereo.
I found that if I used the iTiVo FFmpeg (mpeg-2) format, the resulting .mpg file had the audio. A remaining problem is that the audio starts out in sync with the video, but becomes increasingly out of sync.

Last edited by hearncl : 02-04-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #684
aindik

Quote:
I found that if I used the iTiVo FFmpeg (mpeg-2) format, the resulting .mpg file had the audio. A remaining problem is that the audio starts out in sync with the video, but becomes increasingly out of sync.
I've had the best results using iTiVo just to download and decrypt, and then using Handbrake to convert to mp4. Obviously that's two steps instead of one, which is annoying, but I've found the results to be better.

On Handbrake I use the AppleTV 2 preset settings, which preserves the source resolution if 720p or lower, or downconverts to 720p if source is higher, and also preserves AC3 audio (5.1 surround).
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #685
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Is the AppleTV 2 preset in Handbrake better than the "Apple - Universal" preset?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #686
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Is the AppleTV 2 preset in Handbrake better than the "Apple - Universal" preset?
Yes it's much higher quality output, at least if you're starting with an HD source.

You can see this for yourself by selecting a source file in Handbrake, then toggling between various presets, and looking at what Handbrake says it will generate as output. E.g. on one 1080i TV show I just tried, Universal would generate 720x400 while AppleTV 2 would generate 1280x704.

The tradeoff is that the AppleTV 2 preset will generate much larger files than the Universal preset.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #687
hearncl

Missing audio in download--solution

Quote:
Thanks to the excellent suggestions following my original posts, I downloaded the program using the iTiVo "decrypt" setting. The download had the audio, and there was only a slight audio/video sync problem near the end (played in VLC). I used Handbrake to convert to .m4v using the the iPad preset, and trimmed the promotional messages from the beginning and end of the converted file using QuickTime player.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 AM   #688
tony1athome

New contributor

Hi,

I'm a new contributor to iTiVo and am helping out on maintenance issues.

Tony
tony1athome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #689
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sweet! Welcome, Tony!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #690
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

Tony, that is wonderful news.
thenightfly42 is offline   Reply With Quote