TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #31
moyekj

Since I use SDUI I never even noticed the outage. This kind of event clearly points out the giant flaw that is the HDUI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #32
raven4luck
raven

RE: N33 error message??? No TiVo Connection

I got the same error abt 9:30MST, first time seeing N33. I followed the instructions Tivo has posted for network error messages. They didn't solve the problem but did change the error message to another new one, N30. It finally resolved itself abt an hour or so later.

I got the latest update, 20.2, on my Premiere abt 2 weeks ago. I've already had 3 freezes, have seen the return of old annoying software bugs and now the new error messages. I'd like the choice to NOT upgrade. I was finally enjoying my Premiere box as it was...I've had a lot of problems with it the past ~17 months.

Last edited by raven4luck : 02-03-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: formatting error in title
raven4luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #33
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Since I use SDUI I never even noticed the outage. This kind of event clearly points out the giant flaw that is the HDUI.
I never had any issues and I use the HDUI. Obviously the bar at the top showed the message and networking apps were disabled. But my recordings played fine. I'm not sure why others had different results.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #34
Atomic Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I never had any issues and I use the HDUI. Obviously the bar at the top showed the message and networking apps were disabled. But my recordings played fine. I'm not sure why others had different results.
Ditto. And new programs recorded as expected. What was surprising is that a Netflix stream-in-progress died. I expected that once a stream was started it would just be a conversation between my device and Netflix. I wonder if that's an intended or unintended side effect.
Atomic Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #35
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
If you try and push into program details in HDUI there is a pretty long delay normally when network is working (a few seconds), and when network is not working it's several more seconds. It used to be prior to 20.2 you couldn't get into program details at all without a working network and for those that don't know to press "Play" from My Shows they were stuck not being able to start playback of a show at all.
EDIT: Plus I believe search doesn't work properly in HDUI when networking is down since it relies on network data rather than local guide data for some operations.

Last edited by moyekj : 02-03-2012 at 09:15 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #36
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulScarp View Post
The TiVo is kinda useless until this is fixed
Seriously?

I had -zero- problems. I was aware of the N33 error, but only because of this forum. My shows recorded without a hitch, and I was able to watch any show I had recorded without a hitch.

Useless?

[Yes, I am aware certain functions did not operate, and this is not to downplay the fact that a situation like this really shouldn't occur. But to state that your TiVo is useless?]
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #37
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I was going to say something very similar. I don't care if the discovery bar disappears (I wish it would go away forever), but preventing people from using Netflix, Android/iOS app, streaming, etc, is just not acceptable.

I was in the HDUI at the time. Thankfully, it did not interfere with local playback or recording... so at least the base functionality of a DVR was still intact.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #38
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
It used to be prior to 20.2 you couldn't get into program details at all without a working network
Can anyone else confirm this? If so, I need to add it as a positive in the changelog...
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #39
tivoknucklehead

I have had this error off and on for weeks on my Quad Elite, very annoying
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #40
tivoknucklehead

is anything being done about this error? I am getting it daily now and it kills transfers and search
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #41
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
is anything being done about this error? I am getting it daily now and it kills transfers and search
If you are regularly getting the N33 error, then you most likely have a problem with your Internet connection, which is unrelated to the Premiere. Flakey router, switch, or modem, bad connection cable, using unreliable wireless, poor ISP going down regularly, etc.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #42
mdowden

N33 errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
If you are regularly getting the N33 error, then you most likely have a problem with your Internet connection, which is unrelated to the Premiere. Flakey router, switch, or modem, bad connection cable, using unreliable wireless, poor ISP going down regularly, etc.

I'm a 10 yr TiVo veteran and I don't think it has a thing to do with routers, internet, etc. Everything else on the network connects fine.

Usually unplugging the TiVo Wireless N adapters does the job....It all started with the update.
mdowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #43
mdowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Seriously?

I had -zero- problems. I was aware of the N33 error, but only because of this forum. My shows recorded without a hitch, and I was able to watch any show I had recorded without a hitch.

Useless?

[Yes, I am aware certain functions did not operate, and this is not to downplay the fact that a situation like this really shouldn't occur. But to state that your TiVo is useless?]
Are you using the standard UI or the HD UI?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #44
mdowden

Quote:
Agreed..... This update seems to have put it back to the slows....
Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #45
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdowden View Post
I'm a 10 yr TiVo veteran and I don't think it has a thing to do with routers, internet, etc. Everything else on the network connects fine.

Usually unplugging the TiVo Wireless N adapters does the job....It all started with the update.
Ah, but you ARE using wireless.

I am not saying it can't be be related to the update, but there are very, very few reports of N33 errors. This whole thread only started because TiVo's servers were down for a short time.

If there were something tangibly wrong with the update causing such errors on a regular basis, one would expect the forum would be filled with such reports. Instead, we have just one person reporting this, and perhaps you also. That STRONGLY suggests it is specific to his/your network/ISP/equipment, which it turns out to be, 99+% of the time. And of those, it seems the majority is due to wireless.

AND if you check this other thread of the same report: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=8941998 Yep- it is wireless AGAIN. And in his case, a firmware update helped.

Last edited by crxssi : 02-12-2012 at 09:21 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #46
wilhelmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Ah, but you ARE using wireless.

I am not saying it can't be be related to the update, but there are very, very few reports of N33 errors. This whole thread only started because TiVo's servers were down for a short time.

If there were something tangibly wrong with the update causing such errors on a regular basis, one would expect the forum would be filled with such reports. Instead, we have just one person reporting this, and perhaps you also. That STRONGLY suggests it is specific to his/your network/ISP/equipment, which it turns out to be, 99+% of the time. And of those, it seems the majority is due to wireless.

AND if you check this other thread of the same report: [ removed ] Yep- it is wireless AGAIN. And in his case, a firmware update helped.
I wonder how many other people really are having the same problem. I am, and have been for months since I got my Premiere. For me, I get N33 at least once a week, usually more often. It's definitely related to my WiFi connection (N) - my wireless router at home (Linksys/Cisco WRT310N) definitely acts up now and then and other WiFi devices in my home are unable to get to the Internet, so I have to restart the router to get everything working again. Of course, my other WiFi devices in my home continue to operate normally without WiFi (I can still play non-wireless games on my iPad, can still write documents on my laptop). The TiVo on the other hand goes completely off-the-rails in this scenario. It recognizes the network problem (tells me it's an N33) but continues to depend on the network for pretty much everything on the HD UI. This makes the UI grind to a complete halt for over a minute at a time sometimes, and generally makes the thing "useless" as one of the posters above said. I have to go unplug the WiFi adapter from the TiVo when this happens (or reboot the router), which is far from an optimal user experience. If you'd like to test this yourself, I'm sure it'll do the same for you if you just disconnect your WiFi router from your cable modem for a few minutes.

What irritates me most is that TiVo has known this since at least Feb 2012 based on this thread (admittedly it was a separate server problem then but they have reports here of the UI issue during an N33). I've called them myself in the past (sometime after Mar 2012) and been told it wasn't something they knew of. I called tonight again and was told they DO know about it, but haven't done anything about it yet. Great.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the router issue is my own problem, but it's simply not acceptable for a device to malfunction like this due to something as inherently unreliable as an internet connection.
wilhelmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #47
sepstein
Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhelmp View Post
I wonder how many other people really are having the same problem. I am, and have been for months since I got my Premiere. For me, I get N33 at least once a week, usually more often. It's definitely related to my WiFi connection (N) - my wireless router at home (Linksys/Cisco WRT310N) definitely acts up now and then and other WiFi devices in my home are unable to get to the Internet, so I have to restart the router to get everything working again. Of course, my other WiFi devices in my home continue to operate normally without WiFi (I can still play non-wireless games on my iPad, can still write documents on my laptop). The TiVo on the other hand goes completely off-the-rails in this scenario. It recognizes the network problem (tells me it's an N33) but continues to depend on the network for pretty much everything on the HD UI. This makes the UI grind to a complete halt for over a minute at a time sometimes, and generally makes the thing "useless" as one of the posters above said. I have to go unplug the WiFi adapter from the TiVo when this happens (or reboot the router), which is far from an optimal user experience. If you'd like to test this yourself, I'm sure it'll do the same for you if you just disconnect your WiFi router from your cable modem for a few minutes.

What irritates me most is that TiVo has known this since at least Feb 2012 based on this thread (admittedly it was a separate server problem then but they have reports here of the UI issue during an N33). I've called them myself in the past (sometime after Mar 2012) and been told it wasn't something they knew of. I called tonight again and was told they DO know about it, but haven't done anything about it yet. Great.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the router issue is my own problem, but it's simply not acceptable for a device to malfunction like this due to something as inherently unreliable as an internet connection.
Couldn't agree more. It is unacceptible for the UI to freeze like this. It's happening with increasing frequency here in Boston ....