TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #8311
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

If you copy old drive to new with mfstools (or JMFS) you don't need to re-pair the cards.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #8312
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Cards don't need to reactivated after changing the drive in a TiVo, though they do need to be re-paired. Pairing allows viewing copy-protected channels. Comcast, in general, only protects Premium, movie and PPV channels. All other channels will still work without re-pairing.
Until this last change I've been having to get it repaired no matter what I did. I removed the card to see if it was causing my reboots and when I reinserted I couldn't get premium channels. Perhaps it was a problem at my head end.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #8313
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I removed the card [...]
Bzzzt - wrong move. Your going to have to call the activation line and get them to re-pair the card.

A family member did the same thing, and they had Comcast "hit" their account, which worked for a while but they all the HD/Premium channels went away again and eventually had to be re-paired.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #8314
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo

Bzzzt - wrong move. Your going to have to call the activation line and get them to re-pair the card.
Simply pulling the card should de-pair the card unless you insert a different card in the Premiere or put the card in a different Premiere. I've pulled cards and put them back in without issue, though I didn't leave it out very long and didn't reboot.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #8315
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

When did comcast announce that they were raising rates? I just looked at my January bill and both the Basic Cable charge and the HD technology fee went up. Basic went from $59.95 to $63.70 and the HD technology fee went from $8.50 to $9.95. I guess the cable raise isn't that bad, but the HD fee went up 17%!

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #8316
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
When did comcast announce that they were raising rates? I just looked at my January bill and both the Basic Cable charge and the HD technology fee went up. Basic went from $59.95 to $63.70 and the HD technology fee went from $8.50 to $9.95. I guess the cable raise isn't that bad, but the HD fee went up 17%!
There was a new rate sheet included in my December bill.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #8317
JulienPDX77

seems to me its time the big boys stop charging dumb "technology fees;" I dont pay an HD fee and the PDX Comcast office whose main customer base is young software geeks; can't get away with it so they dont even try
JulienPDX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #8318
morac
Cat God

I got the rate change listing in my November bill. On a related note the cableCARD credit went down since the cable box rental fee dropped, so it was a double whammy.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #8319
lpwcomp

While they are charging me the "additional digital outlet" fees, they haven't (yet) tried to charge me the "HD Technology Fee". I do have a digital converter box but it is SD (connected to and controlled by the functional TiVo 2).

Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #8320
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
While they are charging me the "additional digital outlet" fees, they haven't (yet) tried to charge me the "HD Technology Fee". I do have a digital converter box but it is SD (connected to and controlled by the functional TiVo 2).
You should only be charged that fee if you have a cable provided HD converter box. Many do simply to get VOD. With Comcast VOD coming to Premiere (eventually), I suspect many will return their cable boxes.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #8321
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
You should only be charged that fee if you have a cable provided HD converter box. Many do simply to get VOD. With Comcast VOD coming to Premiere (eventually), I suspect many will return their cable boxes.
If that were true, then when would the "Customer Owned Equipment" credit come into play?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #8322
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp
If that were true, then when would the "Customer Owned Equipment" credit come into play?
That's suppose to be a credit against the regular fees that normally bundle in a standard cable box and remote.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #8323
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

See my thread here. Bottom line is that FCC complaints need to be filed against Comcast for inconsistent application of Cablecard rentals - some areas get the A/O fees with credits (and some without credits), some don't get charged anything for cards, some get charged $1.50 per card. It's all over the map, and it's against the new rules.

They need to be charging a single fee for each card after the first, same as every other cableCo, and it's what the FCC says should be done. I would argue that the bogus 'HD tech fee' falls into the same category if you don't have any of their boxes, but Comcast would probably say that you get charged that whether you have their box or not if you get HD channels and probably get away with it. Still doesn't explain why some areas get it and some don't, but their billing is all messed up.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #8324
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
When did comcast announce that they were raising rates? I just looked at my January bill and both the Basic Cable charge and the HD technology fee went up. Basic went from $59.95 to $63.70 and the HD technology fee went from $8.50 to $9.95.
Just to clarify, you should only get charged the HD fee if you have a HD box. A CableCard isn't a HD box. Not all Comcast reps are aware of this distinction.
And I'm not sure if you have a HD STB, but you did post in the CableCard thread...
And damn, that must be a digital "basic" package. Because in my market, Basic Cable is only $15. But it's only ~30 channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
some don't get charged anything for cards, some get charged $1.50 per card. It's all over the map, and it's against the new rules.

They need to be charging a single fee for each card after the first, same as every other cableCo, and it's what the FCC says should be done. I would argue that the bogus 'HD tech fee' falls into the same category if you don't have any of their boxes, but Comcast would probably say that you get charged that whether you have their box or not if you get HD channels and probably get away with it. Still doesn't explain why some areas get it and some don't, but their billing is all messed up.
According to my rate brochure the first CC on an outlet is $0.00. Each additional card is $1.50. When I picked up the card, the rep threw in a $2.30 fee. Not sure where she pulled that number out of.
But we should consider ourselves lucky that Comcast is giving us the first one for free. Or in a more cynical tone, it's good that they're throwing them in for as high as the cable packages are. The FCC admits that most operators charge $2-4 per month for the first card, and specifically allows them to via FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5), 76.1602(b).

--

And just an update to my situation (long story short: went to service center, asked for card, told I wasn't allowed to get one for my cable package, mentioned FCC rules, got card with $2.30/month charge, called billing, charge removed) I sent an email to we_can_help and told them that story and how everything was squared away and asked that they remind the center manager of their policies. Removing the cookie cutter bookend parts of their response:

Quote:
Review of your account indicated that our billing department has updated your account and provided you with the necessary credits. I have provided feedback to the cable store supervisor and their manager in regard to the interaction you had and the information provided. I have reviewed the documentation we have on file in regard to cablecards and it appears there may very well be some confusion in regard to when and how they may be issued. This information is being updated to prevent future incidents like yours.

Due to this incident I have authorized your account to receive a $20 credit as a courtesy for your inconvenience.
Nifty that they gave me a credit. I wouldn't think it deserved one. Having the center manager not slam anyone with fees in the future is rewarding enough to me.
Atomic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #8325
mrjaybov

HD with Comcast Card and TIVO box

The tech at Comcast told me to save rental $$$ I could get my HD channels using a TIVO box and a Comcast supplied cable card. Do I need to activate the TIVO susbscrition to make this work? Or can I just plug in the TIVO box, activate the card and Wha -La, I have a HD box (minus some functionality) with no rental fees. Anyone know? HD thru Xbox coming soon at Comcast too.
mrjaybov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #8326
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjaybov View Post
The tech at Comcast told me to save rental $$$ I could get my HD channels using a TIVO box and a Comcast supplied cable card. Do I need to activate the TIVO susbscrition to make this work? Or can I just plug in the TIVO box, activate the card and Wha -La, I have a HD box (minus some functionality) with no rental fees. Anyone know? HD thru Xbox coming soon at Comcast too.
The only thing a TiVo without a subscription will do is pause up to 30 minutes of live TV.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #8327
mrjaybov

Tivo

I'm not really interested in any TiVO functionality what so ever, I just want to put a cable card in it and use it as a HD tuner in my basement. I just want LIVE tv. The cable guy sais this is away to get around from paying 10 bucks a month for an extra box.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #8328
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjaybov View Post
I'm not really interested in any TiVO functionality what so ever, I just want to put a cable card in it and use it as a HD tuner in my basement. I just want LIVE tv. The cable guy sais this is away to get around from paying 10 bucks a month for an extra box.
In my area they will hit you with a $9.75 "additional outlet" fee and a $2.50 credit for using your own box.
HazelW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #8329
Rkkeller

I have my TiVo HD with a Comcast Mcc and there are no charges for it at all.

I picked up a 2nd Mcablecard just yesterday for my Premier coming Tuesday and they told me there was no charge for it either. She said the first ones are free but its $1.50 if a second one is needed "for the same device".

I guess I won't really know until I activate it and get my next bill.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #8330
mrjaybov

RkKeller

Is your tivo box activated?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #8331
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
I have my TiVo HD with a Comcast Mcc and there are no charges for it at all.

I picked up a 2nd Mcablecard just yesterday for my Premier coming Tuesday and they told me there was no charge for it either. She said the first ones are free but its $1.50 if a second one is needed "for the same device".

I guess I won't really know until I activate it and get my next bill.
The first cablecard and converter box is bundled into the outlet charge. The new Tivo will probably incur an additional outlet charge of approimately $9. If you needed a 2nd cablecard in it (which you don't), then you would pay a cablecard charge. Since you are bringing your own box/converter (the Tivo) you will receive a credit of approximately $2.50 on the outlet charge.

The result is that the additional Tivo will probably cost you about $6.50 in new charges (outlet/cablecard/credit, etc.).

Of course, if you are REPLACING a Comcast box with the Tivo, then there will be no new additional outlet charge and you should receive a credit because you are no longer using their box.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #8332
jff6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
The first cablecard and converter box is bundled into the outlet charge. The new Tivo will probably incur an additional outlet charge of approimately $9. If you needed a 2nd cablecard in it (which you don't), then you would pay a cablecard charge. Since you are bringing your own box/converter (the Tivo) you will receive a credit of approximately $2.50 on the outlet charge.

The result is that the additional Tivo will probably cost you about $6.50 in new charges (outlet/cablecard/credit, etc.).

Of course, if you are REPLACING a Comcast box with the Tivo, then there will be no new additional outlet charge and you should receive a credit because you are no longer using their box.
My bill just went up $7.45 for "Additional Outlet Service Charge (with Cablecard) includes customer owned video equipment credit" when I added first TiVo Premiere last month. I moved their STB to a different room so didn't replace one. Nice shell game on their part cloaking credit in a new larger fee.
jff6791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #8333
Rkkeller

:< Looks like my 2nd TiVo + Comcast cc experience is going as bad as my first!!!!

I picked up a cc before my TiVo came so I would be ready and it got stuck on the "acquiring channels" screen. I called Comcast and spoke to 3 different people over 40 minutes and all they could do is resend the signal and say I needed a tech to come to the house.

Comcast is only blocks from where I work so instead I took the cc back and got another one. As soon as the clerk went to remove the first cc he said the CS people were idiots and it was obvious the cc service was not setup properly. He made some changes and gave me a cc.

I went to install this 2nd cc and started receivng "some" channels within minutes but no channels over 812 worked. I called Comcast and they said it can take up to an hour so I wait and still nothing. Called again signal sent and told needed a tech to come to the house, hung up called right back hoping to get someone better and was told the same thing. Finally asked for a supervisor who was very apologetic but could do nothing but schedule an appt for Fri afternoon for a tech to swap the cards.

I am 99.9% sure swapping the card will do nothing and its a setting on their end but can't seem to get them to understand. Maybe when I end up swapping out 10-20 cc's someone will finally figure it out.

Last edited by Rkkeller : 02-02-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #8334
NGeorge

I got Comcast to remove ALL fees--just by quoting them all the fine print in the bottom of their rate booklet. I have 2 Tivo Premieres with 2 M Cards.

1. Their ratecard said the first CableCard "per device" is free, the second is $1.50. The first bill had an addition $1.50 fee on each card. They tried telling me an M Card counted as 2 cards. I reminded them that their sheet said "the first card per device" and that an M Card is a single physical card--He looked it up, removed the fee.

2. $10 HD Fee "For installation of Comcast HD equipment"--the rep didn't even question this, and took the fee off. He said that they get this a lot from Tivo owners--and that as far as they are concerned a CableCard could be plugged into anything, HD or not.

3. $8.00 "Additional Digital Outlet Fee"--my logic was that the fine print charges $8.00 for an additional digital outlet, but a DTA, basically a ClearQAM digital cable box, has no charge (thus the "digital outlet" is for the better equipment, NOT the extra drop--and since I have a CableCard, which is free for the first one in a device, there would be no equipment fee)

Well II didn't even have to ask for it. While taking care of the HD fee, the rep said "Oh, you don't have any Comcast equipment on here besides the CableCards--looks like we have you down for an extra cable box"--and removed the fee. Easy enough.

So maybe I was extremely lucky? I cut $21.00 off my Comcast bill in one phone call--and I have 2 Tivos (Premiers I got off Craigslist at the grandfathered rates through Tivo) for much less than what Comcast wants for their crappy Motorola HD DVR boxes--$10 HD fee + $15.95 per unit.

--Nat
NGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #8335
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
So maybe I was extremely lucky?
Depends on what you consider "lucky". If lucky is getting Comcast to correctly follow their own pricing structure, then I'd say you got lucky.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #8336
jon96cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 View Post
My bill just went up $7.45 for "Additional Outlet Service Charge (with Cablecard) includes customer owned video equipment credit" when I added first TiVo Premiere last month. I moved their STB to a different room so didn't replace one. Nice shell game on their part cloaking credit in a new larger fee.
Did you have to call about the customer owned Video Equipment credit? I didn't see it on my last bill so I'm going to have to call them.
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #8337
Rkkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
:< Looks like my 2nd TiVo + Comcast cc experience is going as bad as my first!!!!

I was right and it was only a code that was not entered. The tech came out checked the signal level then called the office, after a few minutes on the phone the HD channels on the one card were not set up right.

He said its very common and cc installs are almost always problematic. He had a STACK of extra cards with him incase.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #8338
NGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Taco View Post
Depends on what you consider "lucky". If lucky is getting Comcast to correctly follow their own pricing structure, then I'd say you got lucky.
I wouldn't say I feel lucky about getting them to follow their pricing structure--I make sure that happens with everyone I do business with--and if it doesn't I call until I get someone who knows what they are doing and gets it the way it should be.

I was referring more to the fact that the fine print in my area is actually priced fairly and in a way that makes sense when it comes to customer owned equipment. It seems like a lot of people complain about having all these CableCard and extra "BS fees" on their accounts on their Tivos, especially with Comcast.

Am I just lucky to live in an area where they don't pull that crap in their pricing, or is this the case in most of their markets and people just aren't persistent/knowledgeable enough to call them out on it? I mean I can sort of understand a $1.50 M-card fee slipping through and someone just ignoring it--but $21 in BS fees is half of the internet bill every month, and it would seem to me that most people would be making sure it is removed.

What I didn't mention in my previous post was the other thing they pulled: I *bought* a new Cable Modem from them for $99 one-time vs. $8 per month lease. I've owned cable modems for 12 years (when I moved, I figured it was time to buy a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem, so I ordered a new one when I added the TV), and have had exactly 2 of them go bad. At $99 each, I've been WAY ahead of the game vs. $8 per month. The sales guy was CLUELESS, but got the $99 charge on... THEN they tried dinging me for $8 per month.

It took me 3 phone calls over 3 months to explain that this was OWNED (it only has a $99 charge and PURCHASED EQUIPMENT on my first bill!). Apparently I am the only person who buys their cable modem--and why wouldn't I? I mean, at $99 to buy it from them, it pays for itself in a year vs. the lease fee--at the 5+ years that each of mine have lasted, I've avoided paying Comcast nearly a $1000 in lease fees lol. No wonder Comcast hides the fact that you can BUY a modem in such small print (you can also buy them from Best Buy, but they are basically the same price for a 3.0 unit--for $99 they brought me this one)

--Nat
NGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #8339
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
Apparently I am the only person who buys their cable modem
I bought mine. Didn't need DOCSYS 3.0, so I got a 2.0 modem for $40.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #8340
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGeorge
It took me 3 phone calls over 3 months to explain that this was OWNED (it only has a $99 charge and PURCHASED EQUIPMENT on my first bill!). Apparently I am the only person who buys their cable modem--and why wouldn't I? I mean, at $99 to buy it from them, it pays for itself in a year vs. the lease fee--at the 5+ years that each of mine have lasted, I've avoided paying Comcast nearly a $1000 in lease fees lol. No wonder Comcast hides the fact that you can BUY a modem in such small print (you can also buy them from Best Buy, but they are basically the same price for a 3.0 unit--for $99 they brought me this one)
I believe that's why Comcast pushes their triple play service so hard. You have to rent the modem from them when you use their voice service since voice service modems aren't for sale. That's an extra $7 for them and one of the reasons I dropped their phone service. The other being they charge $45 a month for what I get virtually free from Ooma.