TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #61
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
At this point I've stopped using the Elite for anything other than as extra tuners in a room I don't use much, and have gone back to my HDs as primary. This is not because of the Amazon issue, but because the Elite has become sluggish and spontaneously reboots with no warning or predictability. It happens in the middle of recordings, when nothing is recording but things are playing back, etc. I am not using the software in any possible unique way period. I go to tivo central, now playing, scroll through recorded (generally just normal network like ABC, CBS, etc) content, select it and start playback. Period. Nothing whatsoever more. I can't imagine how that would be "unique" or "different" from other uses. I use it in its most basic fundamental fashion. Frankly, that's one of my biggest complaints about Tivo. I think there is way too much concentration on "gadgets" and "extra features" at the expense of quality and dependability for the "core fundamental" functions. After talking to Tivo support this past week and then again tonight, I no longer have the patience to deal with the Elite. I'm really disappointed because it really seemed like such a high quality product when I first got it. I am severely concerned that with no software or hardware changes, the behavior of the unit just randomly changes. And that Tivo did not prioritize delivery of 20.2 to customers who have legitimate recorded ticket numbers that they "claim" will be resolved by 20.2.

Bottom line here is that I've really stopped using the Elite for the most part now. It's a $500 doorstop that every once in a while records something that my HDs do not. I have a bunch of content on it that I'm gradually moving onto the HDs and watching. Sad night. I'm going to just try to not look at the Elite for a while, and wait for 20.2 to get deployed to it (if that ever happens) and see if it's any better than 14.9.2.2, and even if it IS, keep my fingers crossed that the same delayed issues don't start popping up down the road. Bottom line is that Tivo has given me absolutely not a single solitary reason to be optimistic. The tech at Tivo tonight actually told me that I should expect this, because "it took 2 years to get the bugs out of the Series 3, and even after that we just released a fix for another issue with the Series 3". No kidding. Like Tivo should be proud that it took 2 years for the S3? Really? I did not solicit this. It was a almost word for word comment by the Tivo support person. Blew my mind.
I didn't realize you were still on 14.9.2.2 on your Elite. I'm optimistic that it will no longer be a doorstop once you get 20.2 on it. Just out of curiosity why didn't you provide your TSN to @tivodesign to get on the priority list earlier? If I have one complaint it would be that the priority list isn't easily accessible by users like it was in the past. I'm guessing that they will go back to a web-based sign-up form for priority updates like what existing many years ago.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #62
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I didn't realize you were still on 14.9.2.2 on your Elite. I'm optimistic that it will no longer be a doorstop once you get 20.2 on it. Just out of curiosity why didn't you provide your TSN to @tivodesign to get on the priority list earlier? If I have one complaint it would be that the priority list isn't easily accessible by users like it was in the past. I'm guessing that they will go back to a web-based sign-up form for priority updates like what existing many years ago.
To be honest, the reason I didn't submit my TSN was because AT THE TIME my Elite was (other than the Amazon issue) performing quite well, and I wanted to see how others faired with the new version of SW rather than breaking mine. It was only 10 days ago that I began to have real issues and since then, the issues have increased significantly. It really concerns me that with no changes, I and others have experienced random increases in symptoms of defects after weeks or months of at least acceptable performance. As somebody with extensive product design and engineering background, I am extremely troubled by this.

20.2 may well help (whenever I get it) but I have to say, the responses I've gotten from Tivo and some of the things they've told me combined with my most recent experiences have eliminated any optimism that Tivo has improved. 14.9.2.2 was performing pretty well for me. Then it wasn't. Based on this, there is absolutely no reason to believe that 20.2 will be any different.
wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #63
sbiller

Quote:
To be honest, the reason I didn't submit my TSN was because AT THE TIME my Elite was (other than the Amazon issue) performing quite well, and I wanted to see how others faired with the new version of SW rather than breaking mine. It was only 10 days ago that I began to have real issues and since then, the issues have increased significantly. It really concerns me that with no changes, I and others have experienced random increases in symptoms of defects after weeks or months of at least acceptable performance. As somebody with extensive product design and engineering background, I am extremely troubled by this.

20.2 may well help (whenever I get it) but I have to say, the responses I've gotten from Tivo and some of the things they've told me combined with my most recent experiences have eliminated any optimism that Tivo has improved. 14.9.2.2 was performing pretty well for me. Then it wasn't. Based on this, there is absolutely no reason to believe that 20.2 will be any different.
I'm also an engineer with fairly extensive product design and engineering experience (20+ years). We know that 20.2 was a major re-write of the code so there will be bugs but I think the response has been very good and the release is pretty solid. I'm surprised that tech support couldn't figure out a way to authorize you for 20.2.

I'm really not sure TiVo was even aware of the Amazon VOD problems until recently since most people wouldn't even report such a problem directly to technical support. I tweeted to Margret directly and resurrected this thread after experiencing the problem multiple times.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #64
wmhjr

Quote:
I'm also an engineer with fairly extensive product design and engineering experience (20+ years). We know that 20.2 was a major re-write of the code so there will be bugs but I think the response has been very good and the release is pretty solid. I'm surprised that tech support couldn't figure out a way to authorize you for 20.2.
Like I said in other posts, I've found Tivo tech support to be pretty much of no value whatsoever. For me, they are effectively just a way to insure that defects are communicated to Tivo - though I never have high hopes of defect remediation in any kind of realistic time frame. I call them to report issues so that Tivo cannot say that they didn't know of them. Tivo support has never in all the years I've been a customer solved a single problem for me. In all fairness, I tend to solve my own issues, and when I can't, it's typically a "systemic" issue which requires SW/HW changes. That's clearly not the case for everyone.

I was surprised at a number of things on my recent 2 calls. First, that the techs (especially the one tonight) were so blatant about saying that 14.9.2.2 was a failure and that they were "standing behind 20.2" (creating the obvious question - as opposed to "not" standing behind 14.9.2.2?). I was also surprised that the techs basically knew nothing, had no suggestions, and felt that even though perhaps the 20.2 software might relieve some symptoms, I should send the box back and have it replaced at a cost of $49.

Beyond that, I'm just surprised that Tivo can't seem to get software development right, and that pretty much every release seems to have critical SW defects. Let's face it, for the most part these are closed systems. Yes, there are differences in some of the management systems (such as SARA) being used by cablecos, but beyond that Tivo has an incredible amount of control over the configuration of these devices, and yet we continue to see critical software component failures. I'm very thankful that Margret is here but honestly, I continue to be astounded by the apparent quality issues. The competition is catching up in many ways (and in some ways has surpassed Tivo frankly) and as I've said elsewhere, they are effectively reducing their service fees for DVR service in many cases while Tivo increased theirs by 25%. Don't get me wrong. I in no way expect zero defects. I've never been involved in a release that didn't have defects. But CRITICAL defects which affect the core functionality of the unit? Nope. Good shops just don't do that. There is no CMM level that allows for the production release of defective critical core components. That's a deal breaker.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #65
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Problem is that Tivo is the only game in town thus we are stuck with their inability to have a functional device that preforms as advertised
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #66
sbiller

Quote:
Like I said in other posts, I've found Tivo tech support to be pretty much of no value whatsoever. For me, they are effectively just a way to insure that defects are communicated to Tivo - though I never have high hopes of defect remediation in any kind of realistic time frame. I call them to report issues so that Tivo cannot say that they didn't know of them. Tivo support has never in all the years I've been a customer solved a single problem for me. In all fairness, I tend to solve my own issues, and when I can't, it's typically a "systemic" issue which requires SW/HW changes. That's clearly not the case for everyone.

I was surprised at a number of things on my recent 2 calls. First, that the techs (especially the one tonight) were so blatant about saying that 14.9.2.2 was a failure and that they were "standing behind 20.2" (creating the obvious question - as opposed to "not" standing behind 14.9.2.2?). I was also surprised that the techs basically knew nothing, had no suggestions, and felt that even though perhaps the 20.2 software might relieve some symptoms, I should send the box back and have it replaced at a cost of $49.

Beyond that, I'm just surprised that Tivo can't seem to get software development right, and that pretty much every release seems to have critical SW defects. Let's face it, for the most part these are closed systems. Yes, there are differences in some of the management systems (such as SARA) being used by cablecos, but beyond that Tivo has an incredible amount of control over the configuration of these devices, and yet we continue to see critical software component failures. I'm very thankful that Margret is here but honestly, I continue to be astounded by the apparent quality issues. The competition is catching up in many ways (and in some ways has surpassed Tivo frankly) and as I've said elsewhere, they are effectively reducing their service fees for DVR service in many cases while Tivo increased theirs by 25%. Don't get me wrong. I in no way expect zero defects. I've never been involved in a release that didn't have defects. But CRITICAL defects which affect the core functionality of the unit? Nope. Good shops just don't do that. There is no CMM level that allows for the production release of defective critical core components. That's a deal breaker.
I understand your frustration. There is no doubt that TiVo has had their software quality issues starting with the release of the Premiere two years ago. I'm guessing and speculating that at some point they realized that patching and improving the 14.x code was impossible and the software required a complete re-write from the ground up. I believe 20.2 is the result of that massive effort where they now have a unified code base for all Series 4 based software. If you have a chance go peak at the Virgin Media forums. Overall you'll find a very active user community that is extremely satisfied with the product which far exceeds their competition. Those users in the UK are talking more about advanced features that they want added to the box instead of problems like spontaneous reboots and sluggish behavior. With 20.2 we now have a code base that is unified with the VMED software and we are starting to see the benefits of the completely re-architected software.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #67
snagitseven

I've had my Premier for over a year and Amazon movies were downloading initially in HD just fine. However, I believe since Amazon went to VOD streaming vs. downloading since about 6 months, 100% of my movies are pixelated as described by others (I never watch a movie until fully downloaded). Some are worse than others, but all now have issues from mildly annoying to unwatchable with pixelating, tearing, freezing and frequent audio dropouts.
Tivo and Amazon need to get their heads together and get this fixed. Enough is enough. Margaret, are they really, really working on this?
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #68
nrc
Cracker Soul

Has anyone actually documented a case of the problem as Margret requested with program details and a snapshot?

Why not post info and snapshots here? Maybe we can see whether the problem is repeatable?

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #69
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

I'm puttin my money on the freakin cable companies for forkin up the signal as it passes through the Tivo
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #70
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
Has anyone actually documented a case of the problem as Margret requested with program details and a snapshot?

Why not post info and snapshots here? Maybe we can see whether the problem is repeatable?
I did both (see my post above with pictures) and Margret acknowledged my email.

I believe they are working on a solution to the problem. I would be very surprised if they don't already know what the issue is. I'm betting on some sort of decoding issue with the encoding that was optimized for the Series 3 platform. The question is how easy it will be to fix because different files for the Series 3 and Series 4 is probably not a viable option.

I think most of the thread readers just want to bitch & moan and don't really want to help Tivo solve the problem.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #71
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
However, I believe since Amazon went to VOD streaming vs. downloading since about 6 months, 100% of my movies are pixelated as described by others (I never watch a movie until fully downloaded). Some are worse than others, but all now have issues from mildly annoying to unwatchable with pixelating, tearing, freezing and frequent audio dropouts.
Tivo and Amazon need to get their heads together and get this fixed. Enough is enough. Margaret, are they really, really working on this?
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Amazon HD VOD movies are not streamed. They are still, today, downloaded. The idea that you may be able to start watching it prior to it completing the download does not mean it is being streamed. That being said, I agree that 100% of Amazon HD movies in my experience are pixelated on my Premiere, and I also never start watching ever until the movie is fully downloaded.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #72
wmhjr

Quote:
I think most of the thread readers just want to bitch & moan and don't really want to help Tivo solve the problem.
I think that's exactly the kind of statement that really pushes my buttons. I absolutely do not agree with it in any possible way. I would characterize it far differently.

1) Some people have simply given up for the moment on this "feature" and are not willing to throw good money after bad and waste more time downloading, watching a terrible quality movie, taking videos, uploading/emailing those videos, etc. Frankly, for somebody technically competent that's actually a major intrusion. For somebody not technically savvy, it's a nightmare. I can't blame people for not wanting to go through this. For myself, as I said - due to yet larger problems of more core criticality, I don't really use the Elite for anything other than a repository any longer.

2) Frankly, I don't see people "whining" here. I see complaints - such as my own - that aren't all THAT ticked off and where many (including myself) have said that this is an annoyance but not completely critical.

3) The biggest issue is that I simply don't even understand the necessity of Tivo asking for this. I'm not pushing back to Margret. I appreciate her involvement. But this is a very clear, easy to replicate, location agnostic defect. There should be absolutely no need whatsoever for customers to hel replicate this defect. As opposed to the random reboot issues where perhaps better instrumentation on the part of Tivo could lead to data collection which helps diagnose the root cause, this particular issue is a slam dunk in being able to replicate it.

Just my 2 cents. I really get hacked off when people criticize PAYING CUSTOMERS who are OBVIOUSLY NOT GETTING WHAT THEY PAID FOR rather than holding Tivo accountable. That may not be your intent, but that's the way that statement came across. Sorry if I did not interpret it correctly.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #73
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Diablo View Post
I'm puttin my money on the freakin cable companies for forkin up the signal as it passes through the Tivo
I humbly suggest you read through this post before taking that position. I believe we have sufficiently investigated this and proven that this is not the case. It is simply not possible. When you have users (such as myself) who own multiple units including multiple HDs, where the HDs never ever have this issue, where the HD units were even swapped (location, HDMI cables, CAT5 Ethernet patch cords, RG6 port and cables) and the HD units had zero issues but the Premieres do not, when you even then download the exact same titles on the Premiere and then on the HD, and the HD always ALWAYS plays fine but the Premiere ALWAYS has the heavy pixelation.....

I fail to see how the cablecos can somehow alter the packets but ONLY the Premiere exhibits the issue. Consistently. Every time. And, BTW, where we've measured signal strength/SNR. And, BTW, where this is happening across virtually all cablecos. It is not manifesting itself on just one or two carriers.

I'll take your money if you like. It's very hard for me to defend cablecos, but in this case I can't find a single solitary possibility where they could even be contributing to root case. As others have said, this strongly points to an encode/decode issue.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #74
wmhjr

Quote:
I understand your frustration. There is no doubt that TiVo has had their software quality issues starting with the release of the Premiere two years ago. I'm guessing and speculating that at some point they realized that patching and improving the 14.x code was impossible and the software required a complete re-write from the ground up. I believe 20.2 is the result of that massive effort where they now have a unified code base for all Series 4 based software. If you have a chance go peak at the Virgin Media forums. Overall you'll find a very active user community that is extremely satisfied with the product which far exceeds their competition. Those users in the UK are talking more about advanced features that they want added to the box instead of problems like spontaneous reboots and sluggish behavior. With 20.2 we now have a code base that is unified with the VMED software and we are starting to see the benefits of the completely re-architected software.
sbiller, I hope you're right, but frankly that doesn't change my impression. Tivo software quality issues started LONG before the Premiere. I lived through the early days of the HD, and I waited a long time before getting a premiere because of those quality issues in the HD. I was kind of teetering between leaving Tivo or not, and then the Elite came out. Simply because of the 4 tuners and the capacity (literally nothing else really was important to me). So, it looked "OK" and I gave Tivo another chance. Now, as you say we're here - 2 yrs down the road on the Premiere line, with higher service fees, dealing with the same old software quality issues. Again, I'm not expecting zero defects. I AM expecting no high severity critical core defects. The pixelation defect is not IMO a high sev critical defect. But it's ridiculous in that I can't for a moment excuse the fact that it exists. This one was far to easy to catch in testing. The others (reboots, etc) are high severity critical core.

So, while I obviously hope 20.2 is a serious improvement, that in no way excuses Tivo for what I believe to be simply quality that can't even be described as mediocre. I paid a big chunk of money for that Elite. I pay yet more (meaning both just that I'm paying for another unit service AND that Tivo increased service rates by 25% or more), and I'm in no possible interpretation getting value for that money.

Here's my own situation FWIW. I now own 2 HDs (1 with a Weaknees high capacity drive) and the Elite. I also have a free (for as long as I own this home) Verizon HD DVR and a free HD STB (which does whole house streaming). I don't have lifetime subs on them, for several reasons. Most notably, because I truly believe we're in a time of rapid change where there is far more IP delivered content and we're approaching (though clearly not there yet) the time when we'll get content far differently than in the past. In that case, Tivo is absolutely not in a position which guarantees them top billing. Maybe they will be, maybe they won't. I tend to think they won't because even in a closed system, they have consistently demonstrated UI excellence, but quality problems. Since it takes IMHO at least 26 months to even break even on the upfront investment for lifetime, it just isn't worth it to me. What that means is that while I know there are other strategies, in MY strategy there is no incremental value for Tivo, and any cost decrease from alternatives instantly means I save money. So, I continue to look at media server based systems, as well as newer upgraded offerings from the providers. The current equipment I have from Verizon is the same equipment I've had since 2007. It has never, ever failed. Ever. It has never rebooted, it gets VOD content seamlessly. Clearly, it has its limitations. The UI is nowhere nearly as good as Tivo. The capacity is severely limited. But I'll live with a mediocre UI over a great one that isn't reliable. IF their STB ever approaches the capacity and tuner content of my Tivos, I will likely leave Tivo. It's just that simple. The real problem is that I think my perception far more closely mirrors the average "joe" on the street who doesn't want to pay for a device up front, who doesn't want to be locked into a contract, and who doesn't want to pay $300 or $400 for "lifetime" for a "specific" unit - which cannot be transfered. And who doesn't want to have to have "insurance" or be responsible for the cost of repairs/ replacement after 12 months. He'd rather take a failed unit to his local provider, hand it to them and have them hand him a replacement. For free. Keep in mind that just yesterday, the idjuts in Tivo tech support told me that since I have 14.9.2.2, and was experiencing reboot issues, and since they could not get me 20.2, that I should pay $49 to swap an ELITE that I just paid $499 for - less than 3 months ago - knowing that it would not likely solve any problems.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #75
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
I did both (see my post above with pictures) and Margret acknowledged my email.

I believe they are working on a solution to the problem. I would be very surprised if they don't already know what the issue is. I'm betting on some sort of decoding issue with the encoding that was optimized for the Series 3 platform. The question is how easy it will be to fix because different files for the Series 3 and Series 4 is probably not a viable option.

Good job. Not sure how I missed that. I don't have a Premiere yet or I'd check those identical screens to see if it's consistent. It's not quite worth $4.99 to me just to verify that it's ok on the S3.

Since decoding is done on chip, it seems like the worst case would be a problem with the firmware for the chip that would have to be fixed by the maker. Hopefully it's just a problem with the way the data is being passed to the chip and it will be an easy fix for TiVo.

Unfortunately I think that you're right about bitching and moaning. People assume that problems like these are easy to find and isolate and that bitching and moaning should be enough. The truth is that they can sometimes be needle in a haystack problems that are only found when you have thousands of customers rolling around in the haystack. Just screaming "ouch" doesn't make it any easier to find the needle.

Not entirely square
Old 01-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #76
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
3) The biggest issue is that I simply don't even understand the necessity of Tivo asking for this. I'm not pushing back to Margret. I appreciate her involvement. But this is a very clear, easy to replicate, location agnostic defect.
Have we really gathered enough information here to say that? Most of the complaints don't even bother mentioning what download they're complaining about, never mind whether it's repeatable or consistent.

Not entirely square
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #77
wmhjr

Quote:
Have we really gathered enough information here to say that? Most of the complaints don't even bother mentioning what download they're complaining about, never mind whether it's repeatable or consistent.
I'm not sure how we could really conclude anything else. Have you read through the posts to see some of the testing and troubleshooting people have done? And how repeatable it truly is? To be honest, this is perhaps the most repeatable, consistent, and clear defect I've seen in years. Not saying the actual root cause is that clear or that remediation is. But that duplicating the issue seems to be unbelievable easy.

Truly, I'm curious as to whether you've read through the threads and some of the other posts.

I'll also reiterate the fact that in this case, expecting customers to go further in troubleshooting the issue means expecting that they will also pay extra money to do so. Specifically, that it takes paying for, then downloading, then watching content in order to provide feedback - not even inclusive of the time spent documenting. I am offended that this gets characterized as just moaning and complaining without helping when in fact as an example, I've gone through hours of troubleshooting, relocating units, swapping HDMI cables, ethernet ports, etc - all clearly documenting that in every single case the problem ALWAYS follows the Elite and never occurs - including on the same titles (content) as the HD. That's a lot more than moaning and complaining. Remember, we're the (paying) customer, right?

I should also mention as I forgot, there is a poll I created here which is hardly scientific, but clearly shows at least a pattern of consistency. Again, I am curious if you've read the other threads and posts. My guess is that you missed them.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #78
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
I'm not sure how we could really conclude anything else. Have you read through the posts to see some of the testing and troubleshooting people have done? And how repeatable it truly is? To be honest, this is perhaps the most repeatable, consistent, and clear defect I've seen in years. Not saying the actual root cause is that clear or that remediation is. But that duplicating the issue seems to be unbelievable easy.
I think we're talking in different terms here. You clearly have a different idea than I of what it means to duplicate a software problem or demonstrate that it repeatably. I'm not arguing that there's not a problem, I just haven't seen it demonstrated in any of the threads I've seen as consistent or repeatable.

That would mean, for example, someone else downloading the same movie as sbiller posted above and reporting that they're seeing the same issue in the same places.

Nobody is obligated to help TiVo troubleshoot this problem or spend any money doing so. But when you're troubleshooting complex software systems the more specific details you can gather about a problem, the faster it can be solved.

Not entirely square
Old 01-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #79
sbiller

Quote:
That would mean, for example, someone else downloading the same movie as sbiller posted above and reporting that they're seeing the same issue in the same places.

Nobody is obligated to help TiVo troubleshoot this problem or spend any money doing so. But when you're troubleshooting complex software systems the more specific details you can gather about a problem, the faster it can be solved.
nrc, that is a great point. Anyone in this thread buy and download The Ides of March? Its not a bad movie!

It would completely eliminate any thesis about the downloaded file being corrupted if the behavior was identical.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #80
SamuriHL

I see this issue on pretty much any HD Amazon VOD that I put on my Elite. I've got the entire season of Rocket City Rednecks (hey don't judge! ) and episode 2 of Pan Am and all of those tend to show video corruption at various points. I've learned to live with it but if they do manage to fix this then that'd be truly awesome. I have not had a chance to try them since I updated to 20.2 a few minutes ago.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #81
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I see this issue on pretty much any HD Amazon VOD that I put on my Elite. I've got the entire season of Rocket City Rednecks (hey don't judge! ) and episode 2 of Pan Am and all of those tend to show video corruption at various points. I've learned to live with it but if they do manage to fix this then that'd be truly awesome. I have not had a chance to try them since I updated to 20.2 a few minutes ago.
Do you have an exact location (minutes:seconds) in Pan Am that you can point to so I can try to duplicate?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #82
SamuriHL

Quote:
Do you have an exact location (minutes:seconds) in Pan Am that you can point to so I can try to duplicate?
I don't offhand and won't be able to get them tonight as our schedule is full. I'll see if I can get that info for you tomorrow if I get a chance.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #83
snagitseven

My testing results are complete and I can report that EVERY. SINGLE. VOD. MOVIE. I. PURCHASE. has the defects as reported by others in this thread. I've followed the troubleshooting steps provided by the Amazon VOD people, i.e. rebooting the Premier, the modem and router, checked for fast connection etc. No change. The latest software? No change. Get Amazon credits and re-rent the movie? No change. Stand on my head while whistling Dixie? No change.

The Amazon rep told me they definitely are "working on the problem". Same as they told me a month ago when I called. I don't see the need for more testing and confirmation. They should be able to easily duplicate the complaints that so many others are experiencing. Suggesting that we users need to continue to do so is a redundant waste of time of an easily reproducable problem. Amazon engineers just need to get with TiVo engineers and figure it out. That's what they're paid to do (from our revenues), no?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #84
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

We have a fix

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience. We have figured out the Amazon macroblocking issue, and we have a fix coming in the Spring release.

If you are a heavy Amazon user and would like to help us Beta test the next update, please:

1. Apply to become a Beta tester:
https://fieldtrials.tivo.com/signup/default.html

2. Send me email after you have completed the signup, and let me know how often you purchase Amazon downloads (margret@tivo.com)

Thanks again (and sorry you experienced this issue in the first place).

Best,
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #85
SamuriHL

Thanks, Margret!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #86
snagitseven

Good news if it does the trick!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #87
snagitseven

Has anyone applied for and received approval for being a Beta tester on this issue yet? I applied and emailed Margret but haven't heard anything yet. Still getting lots of macro-blocking on Amazon HD rentals though.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #88
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
Has anyone applied for and received approval for being a Beta tester on this issue yet? I applied and emailed Margret but haven't heard anything yet. Still getting lots of macro-blocking on Amazon HD rentals though.
Part of being a beta tester means you can't post about it in public. So, I doubt you would get any type of response saying yes.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #89
snagitseven

Reviving an old thread here re the Amazon macroblocking issue. I wonder when the Spring release will be done that will supposedly fix this (It's now Spring). I can verify that 20.2 did not resolve this issue. Still get macroblocking and occasional audio dropouts on every HD rental from Amazon.

Just got a new 1080p Apple TV and will try renting HD movies from iTunes at the same $4.99 price for new releases. If that works w/o the macroblocking, I'm done with TiVo/Amazon movie rentals.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #90
nrc
Cracker Soul

Indications are that the spring release is imminent. There's a priority sign-up available at TiVo.com. But I suppose it won't matter if you're done with TiVo for Amazon rentals.

Not entirely square