TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #181
revansCAAD8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admdata View Post
in the photo in my earier post the captior I bought I removed it, after I found my "problems (IE black and white picture), also I hookup everything to sat 2 tuner now it is baddly pixelated and goes to searching for singal.
Huh? Wasn't your original problem pixelation and/or signal loss on tuner 2? If not, not sure why you even attempted this. Obviously if the process is done right, it works/helps in most cases. As ss_sea_ya and a few others reported they too had black/white displays because of bridged connections. They carefully corrected (cleaned up solder and re-soldered without bridging) and worked right after. Yes, yours may be shot at this point (Your board/solder looks a mess. Could have overheated when soldering. And not sure why pin #6 has solder on it anyways) BUT I would keep trying.

Robert
revansCAAD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #182
Admdata

Quote:
Originally Posted by revansCAAD8 View Post
Huh? Wasn't your original problem pixelation and/or signal loss on tuner 2? If not, not sure why you even attempted this. Obviously if the process is done right, it works/helps in most cases. As ss_sea_ya and a few others reported they too had black/white displays because of bridged connections. They carefully corrected (cleaned up solder and re-soldered without bridging) and worked right after. Yes, yours may be shot at this point (Your board/solder looks a mess. Could have overheated when soldering. And not sure why pin #6 has solder on it anyways) BUT I would keep trying.

Robert
Yes I agree I think it is shot, so I won a used hdvr2 off of ebay, I will still tinker around with the "old" one and see if I can fix it, this way no pressure to fix it.

The pixelation I had was very minor mostly annoying, but I am not the best solder in the world, + I think I need a fine tip not the stanard tip that comes with the soldering guns

Tivo Series 2 80 gb hd
Admdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #183
knighthawktfc

I can't believe this worked but it did!

Have a philips dsr708, pixilation to the point of second tuner being near useless most days, driving me bat chit crazy and getting worse over the last few months, incidentally it was always worse the higher the channel #was. Put a 470uf 35v on the chip (I may go back and move\mount it elsewhere) pins just as instructed here and poof problem appears to be gone, only been a few hours but hopefully it last till Dtv get's their act together with offering another tivo unit.

It maybe a tedius PITA to get accomplished, but it works.

THANK YOU EVERYONE
knighthawktfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #184
ss_sea_ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawktfc View Post
... Put a 470uf 35v on the chip (I may go back and move\mount it elsewhere) pins just as instructed here and poof problem appears to be gone, ..
Hey, it aint' broke don't fix it! No need to move the capacitor as long as its working! Congrats!
DirecTV Hughs HDVR2 (Tivo version, SD)
(original 40G good drive but replacement 320G drive now "under repair").
ss_sea_ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #185
tibo

just a note to say thanks... Rad Shack did not have the 470 in 35v so I had to use a 470uf 50v, but 2hours of reading, and 15 minutes with a solding iron and my tuner 2 is the clearest its ever been, no pixelation at all now. I also did the power supply mod and that was the fastest my tivo has ever powered back up... all I can say is WOW and thanks guys.

I too am holding out for the new HD tivo unit... I have 4 upgraded drv40's and a hr10-250 which are all on life support while I have been awaiting the release of the new tivo... this fix will allow me to hold out another 1year... LOL...
tibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #186
mtosti

Thanks to everyone on this post. I am having the same trouble with my
RCA and the capacitor mod seems to have worked.

Thank you all
mtosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #187
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtosti View Post
Thanks to everyone on this post. I am having the same trouble with my
RCA and the capacitor mod seems to have worked.

Thank you all
Don't forget to carefully examine the power supply capacitors.

Go read the wikipedia "capacitor plague" page.

A number of DirecTiVo owners have cured their 1 tuner good, other tuner bad problem by fixing the power supply.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #188
ss_sea_ya

As a followup, my HDVR2 starting giving me some issues earlier this year(late spring/early summer). Some channels (might have been limited to local, but can't recall for sure) were not recording or when you tuned to them, they were black. After some simple diagnostics, I concluded my tuner 2 ability finally went kaput. Haven't tried to revive it. Just disconnected and disabled the 2nd tuner and only use a single RCA output.
So my repair did last about year.
DirecTV Hughs HDVR2 (Tivo version, SD)
(original 40G good drive but replacement 320G drive now "under repair").
ss_sea_ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #189
astro1

Question HR10-250 Is it still U49

In the HR10-250, is it still U49 that one adds the cap to? I replaced my PS, still have the exact same problem. Put the cap on, no go. It drops Trans 30 every few seconds, same with some others around it, not noticeable on most others.
Any other ideas?
Brian
astro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #190
D'Ecosse

I just repaired my Power Supply - the c18 2200 that is well documented but also the other 2200 (shorter physically) 10V Cap at the innermost end of grouping was also bad.
Both of those replaced and the unit fired right up.
However still had the problem that was there prior to the Cap failures i.e. the theme of this thread, the SatIN 2 issue - quick search found this thread & I conveniently had a 470uf (Axial) on hand and installed it onto U49 - Bingo!
Great fix and major Kudos to schof for his work in identifying cause & fix.

Now just need to figure out why locals and some other channels missing ......... (call to DTV to reset did not change anything)
D'Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote