How about Amazon Prime Instant Videos ?
I was about to ask the same thing.
texino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #212
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumpower View Post
"1.2.3 Closed captions no longer appear on the screen while using 1xFF+ (first fast play) while in the SDUI or HDUI. Margret later explained it was due to technical reasons and implied this feature will not return."

Is there a way we can reject and/or undo updates? This is a seminal usage of the TiVo for me. I'd rather have 14.9 or whatever indefinitely than a new update that removes this functionality, which is critical to how I watch programs.
Sorry, I don't think it is possible. When you buy a TiVo, you are buying into a service too. It is not just a box. Game consoles, Blu-Ray players, smart phones, many TV's, etc are that way now, too. A "connected" device can be changed by the manufacturer in ways the end user might not like.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #213
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teewow View Post
How about Amazon Prime Instant Videos ?
Nope.

And according the what I have read for the next big update in the Spring, it will probably not show then, either.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #214
slice1900

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Sorry, I don't think it is possible. When you buy a TiVo, you are buying into a service too. It is not just a box. Game consoles, Blu-Ray players, smart phones, many TV's, etc are that way now, too. A "connected" device can be changed by the manufacturer in ways the end user might not like.

If it weren't for the need to keep it connected to pick up the latest schedules, I'd have unplugged mine from the Internet to keep it on 14.9. But unfortunately I got the update to 20.2 today, even though I sure as hell did not want it!

Since I received the 14.9 update last fall my Tivo started rebooting a few times a week, whereas previously it was relatively stable and only did that only once couple months. The 20.2 update made things even worse for me, even if it is now 100% stable. Basically in the last two updates, as far as I'm aware Tivo has not added any functionality or fixed any problems I care about, but they made it significantly worse for me and my usage.

This is a big difference between owning a Tivo and most other products capable of updates. With my iPhone I am running iOS 5.0.0, even though I've had a notifier that 5.0.1 has been available for two months. For me not updating it was a deliberate choice because I have a 4S that hasn't experienced battery life issues as some have, and some people who had no issues on 5.0.0 reported having some on 5.0.1. Apple gave me a choice Tivo does not believe I deserve.

This experience will definitely make me think twice about ever buying another Tivo.
slice1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #215
Dan203
Super Moderator

I found a bug in the SDUI...

1) Select a program from My Shows and look at it's description.

2) Back out to My Shows, move to a different show on the list and click Play on the remote to start playing.

3) Use back to exit playback of that show.

When you get back to My Shows the program you selected in step #1 will be highlighted and not the program you were just playing.

It really confused me as to what was happening the first few times, but once I nailed down how to repeat it I see what's happening now. It seems the selection flag TiVo uses to determine which show to highlight isn't getting set properly when you play something directly via the Play button rather then selecting it and picking Play from the menu.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #216
tomhorsley

Thumbs down

I just got 20.2 sometime this afternoon while I was at work, and the main thing I notice is that it is slower. "My Shows" has a big pause which wasn't there before while it is deciding how to draw the list of my recordings at the top (the hulu and amazon icons and wot-not come up pretty fast at the bottom). There is also a much longer pause after I hit the "Guide" button before the new guide actually manages to display. It may look a little better, but since speed was always my primary problem with the Premiere, getting slower doesn't seem like an improvement.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #217
Dan203
Super Moderator

Some times it can take a while for a new version to settle down. There can be a lot of background processing going on right after an upgrade. Give it until tomorrow and if it still seems slow reboot it.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #218
lonewoolf47

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
That's been mentioned before. Certainly in this day of multi-terabyte drives, a 30-minute buffer seems ridiculously small. They should at least bump it to 60. And a user option would be better, of course.
I strongly agree. This has been my #1 beef with TiVo. Whenever there is a new software update the first thing I look for is an update to at least a 60 minute buffer. I really do not understand their refusal to do so.
lonewoolf47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #219
kwajr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewoolf47 View Post
I strongly agree. This has been my #1 beef with TiVo. Whenever there is a new software update the first thing I look for is an update to at least a 60 minute buffer. I really do not understand their refusal to do so.
i think the vast majority of us would not see a need for it as most of us do not watch live tv and if i turn it on in the middle of something i usally just have it record the next time it airs
kwajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #220
grafton

Thanks to my crappy power service, I can say my Tivo boot in half the time it used to. before (not sure what version) it was a guaranteed 10min wait for the tivo to get to the home screen from a power disruption, today including the intro video it was 5 minutes!!!

is it possible that the 2nd core is enabled? halving the boot time is pretty cool either way
grafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #221
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yes, the second core was enabled in 14.9, as far as we know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #222
mumpower

Quote:
My first TiVo was the original 14 hour unit, so I am well aware of service constraints. This instance is different in that it is (for me) the first time that primary functionality is being removed from the device. After the basic recording of shows, there is *nothing* I use more than FF1 with closed captioning. And I have been doing so for about 13 years now. If that functionality is going to be permanently disabled, what I am asking as a user is whether there is a way to hard-lock on 14.9 or another update in order to prevent the elimination of what I consider to be core TiVo functionality. If there is not yet, I am stating that there needs to be.

The problem when new programmers join a technology company is that they oftentimes do not have the full awareness of product usage that long time customers have. As such, they are ordinarily open to feedback about what is important. And I for one consider the closed captioning thing to be functionality that prevents a TiVo from being a TiVo if it is removed. Your mileage and I'm certain several others on this board may vary, but if I had known TiVo was taken this away, I never would have purchased an Elite. The TiVo is much less useful to me without it.

I'm going to express this here where Margaret is thoughtfully reading (your dedication to your job is sincerely appreciated) and I'm also going to lodge a complaint with TiVo customer service. The entire point of updating software is to make a unit better. There is nothing in the 20.x update that could counter the loss of FF1 closed captioning for me. Glancing over a few threads, I am not the only one who feels this way, either. That makes all the more important that the people who agree speak their peace before this mistake becomes codified.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #223
lessd

Another change I noticed in V20.2 is not only is trick play not enabled on a non sub TiVo but programs that were recorded before the TiVo went un-subbed will play back but you can't use fast forward, rewind, pause, or any of the skip forward modes. So I guess TiVo wants to make a un-subbed TiVo less useful than before. I don't blame TiVo as the box at less than $100 with a 320Tb drive is a real give away if one does not purchase the service.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #224
jpcamaro70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajr View Post
i think the vast majority of us would not see a need for it as most of us do not watch live tv and if i turn it on in the middle of something i usally just have it record the next time it airs
I don't know about the vast majority...For me, A larger buffer is a huge deal.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #225
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post
I don't know about the vast majority...For me, A larger buffer is a huge deal.
Things like a larger buffer should not be in this Thread as that not a change in V20.2, many other Threads would be the place to post about changes you would like; say this Thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481297

IMHO we should keep this Thread to changes that V20.2 actually have as much as possible.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #226
mooneb75

a 60 min buffer would be great - I'd like it to maintain on a channel change too... meaning, not clear when I change the channel.
mooneb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #227
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Just got the update, found a bug

If in Live Tv and in 480p/i format and go to TiVo Central(which is 720P) it will not display/draw correctly, It does work sometimes correctly.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #228
mnb

Cannot enter SPS codes while info banner is up. Hitting play dismisses the info and brings up the play bar. Hitting the 2nd select brings up the mini guide. The numbers at that point do nothing and hitting the final select changes the channel to the default selected show on the mini guide.
mnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #229
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post
Cannot enter SPS codes while info banner is up. Hitting play dismisses the info and brings up the play bar. Hitting the 2nd select brings up the mini guide. The numbers at that point do nothing and hitting the final select changes the channel to the default selected show on the mini guide.
This has come up several times. Workarounds:
a. Hit Info first to bring up the info banner
b. Now enter SPS code while the banner is still up

2. Play back a showcase video and you can then enter SPS code as normal while it's playing.

3. Switch to SDUI to enter SPS codes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 01-22-2012 at 11:55 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #230
xander777

Ok, now that both of my Premieres have 20.2, when can I expect streaming to be activated? I can still only transfer shows, not stream.
xander777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #231
Heron

CRXSSI, thank you for this thread. I haven't been paying attention and woke this morning to changed TiVo displays. (It would be nice if they had included a message advising of the update when they did it.) I figured out it must have been a software update and of course came here to figure out what was going on. So thanks for all your effort to detail the changes.

One point -- in HDUI, when I bring up the guide, it minimizes the live TV picture to the small display in the corner and takes over the rest of the screen with the guide instead of displaying on top of the picture the way it used to do. Is that the only option for guide display (besides the TiVo live guide and grid guide)? If so, I'd put that down as a negative, but that's just my personal preference.
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #232
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander777 View Post
Ok, now that both of my Premieres have 20.2, when can I expect streaming to be activated? I can still only transfer shows, not stream.
I believe Margret said the Monday after this coming Monday it will be switched on for everyone.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #233
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
CRXSSI, thank you for this thread. I haven't been paying attention and woke this morning to changed TiVo displays. (It would be nice if they had included a message advising of the update when they did it.) I figured out it must have been a software update and of course came here to figure out what was going on. So thanks for all your effort to detail the changes.
You are welcome

Quote:
One point -- in HDUI, when I bring up the guide, it minimizes the live TV picture to the small display in the corner and takes over the rest of the screen with the guide instead of displaying on top of the picture the way it used to do. Is that the only option for guide display (besides the TiVo live guide and grid guide)? If so, I'd put that down as a negative, but that's just my personal preference.
There is currently no option to change the preview window on the HDUI guide. It cannot be made the background, and it cannot be turned off. You can see this in 3.2.1.3
Old 01-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #234
philt56

So my Premiere got the updated HD guide last nite. Seems a little buggy...

If I bring up the guide while watching live tv, it begins with the current channel. If I bring it up while watching a recorded show, it starts at channel 1. I'd rather it go to the current live channel like before. Ch 1 is on-demand followed by all the SD OTA channels for me on comcast, so it's a pain to always have to key in a channel to get to my preferred channels.

Also I have a manual repeated entry that records the 10pm news m-f. Yeah I could have used a season pass but I don't. It is not marked on the grid with a check or double check mark. So if I go to one of those entries and hit record, it doesn't ask "record as planned" (it is in the todo list) like it used to, but wants to record it, I tried record for the heck of it and it made a duplicate recording entry in the to do list.

Also I hit record on a grid entry and after it processed it, it went back to ch 1 again! Remembered the date and time where I was at but not the channel. I must have done this while paused on a recorded show; works ok when watching live tv.
philt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #235
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by philt56 View Post
If I bring up the guide while watching live tv, it begins with the current channel. If I bring it up while watching a recorded show, it starts at channel 1. I'd rather it go to the current live channel like before. Ch 1 is on-demand followed by all the SD OTA channels for me on comcast, so it's a pain to always have to key in a channel to get to my preferred channels.
[...]]Also I hit record on a grid entry and after it processed it, it went back to ch 1 again! Remembered the date and time where I was at but not the channel. I must have done this while paused on a recorded show; works ok when watching live tv.
3.2.1.5 / 3.2.1.9
Old 01-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #236
dsnotgood

Quote:
You are welcome

There is currently no option to change the preview window on the HDUI guide. It cannot be made the background, and it cannot be turned off. You can see this in 3.2.1.3
you CAN turn off the preview window if you want. I saw it in settings somewhere. Awesome!

EDIT..I lied...nevermind. It looks like its only for when you hit the TiVo button for my shows. Still ..its nice to be able to turn off preview window when I am looking for a show to watch

Last edited by dsnotgood : 01-22-2012 at 02:44 AM.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #237
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
EDIT..I lied...nevermind. It looks like its only for when you hit the TiVo button for my shows. Still ..its nice to be able to turn off preview window when I am looking for a show to watch
Rather than going through the settings all the time, you can use the Slow button to toggle the window on and off in TiVo Central.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #238
I_am_not_randy

I am assumming this thread is the clearing house for bugs with the revision 20 release.

There was a bug introduced on 14.9 in which wishlists results (say for a number of talk shows), would be very slow to navigate with the channel down button (the please wait would pop up between each program)

This has NOT been fixed by the new release (it was like the first or second thing I tried).

Overall though I am please with the speed increases in the HD interface. It is fast enough now that I can actually use it. Previously it was so slow for me it rendered it unuseable.
I_am_not_randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #239
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Just got 20.2 yesterday.. I have played around with it some and have read through the change log portions that deal with the HDUI. Two points/issues/comments.

1) I noticed that I could not figure out how to filter in the new HD guide. I see the change log entry 3.2.1.7 notes that this feature went away. Eeek!! Somewhere a few pages back, i saw a post that said it would come back at some point, but not ETA. Maybe that entry can be updated to indicate this? Again, it's item 3.2.1.7 but I am not exactly sure that post # talks about it coming back

2) the new banner/information display. How do I bring up the medium banner? Previously, it was easy to toggle between the three different views. The "mini" one that showed just the channel number and name and logo in the upper right hand corner. The "Medium", which ran the width of the screen and gave more information (like the actual name of the program), and the "full" which gave even more options and then let you select options like CC, audio, what the other tuner was recording, etc. Is there not a way to toggle? Before, the directional arrows let me do that. But now, it seems the only way to get the "medium" is when you actually change channels while watching Live TV.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #240
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_not_randy View Post
There was a bug introduced on 14.9 in which wishlists results (say for a number of talk shows), would be very slow to navigate with the channel down button (the please wait would pop up between each program)

This has NOT been fixed by the new release (it was like the first or second thing I tried).
Yes, I do recall that issue, although for some reason it didn't make the last changelog (probably an oversight). It was even in the thread. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...67#post8871667

I will add to to the carryover.