TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #181
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

Try chmodding 777 the 'osdcons' file.

(I cheated and did a google on your error message and this thread popped up)

Chebeague Island, Maine
There are 10 kinds of people, those who count in binary and those who don't.
PortlandPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #182
matteous

series 2

Is there, or will there be an autospace for the series 2?
I love this module on my series 1.
matteous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #183
BTUx9
back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteous View Post
Is there, or will there be an autospace for the series 2?
I love this module on my series 1.
Unlikely... this program works by hooking the event system... this functionality isn't available on most S2 tivos (anything running s/w higher than 4, basically)
BTUx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #184
PhilG

((Can't believe how old this thread is!!!))

Anyway.....

Just discovered that Tivo starts deleting "unwanted" recordings when used space PLUS to-be-recorded-but-keep-until-I-delete hits 100%

I was expecting to have some headroom when my Tivo hit 90% but had a surprising flurry of "expired" deletions!

SO, what I am after is if someone has a modded version of Autospace that ALSO shows the upcoming KUID estimation of space that WILL be used (perhaps in another colour). I know this will be an estimate as no-one knows until a show HAS been recorded how much space each minute will take BUT on our sensibly sized Tivo disks, a reasonable estimation ought to be possible

My problem is, I think I know WHAT needs to be done - I just have no idea HOW to do it

Thanks (anyone)
Old 12-05-2010, 02:49 AM   #185
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
((Can't believe how old this thread is!!!))
That should give you a clue.

Quote:
Just discovered that Tivo starts deleting "unwanted" recordings when used space PLUS to-be-recorded-but-keep-until-I-delete hits 100%
Yep. A full TiVo is a happy TiVo.

Quote:
SO, what I am after is if someone has a modded version of Autospace that ALSO shows the upcoming KUID estimation of space that WILL be used (perhaps in another colour). I know this will be an estimate as no-one knows until a show HAS been recorded how much space each minute will take BUT on our sensibly sized Tivo disks, a reasonable estimation ought to be possible
There's a simpler solution: forget about it. There are two caveats, however. One is: Don't abuse KUID. The other is: Get a large enough hard drive. With a large enough hard drive - typically for a Series III class TiVo about 750G - 1T or for an S1 / S2 TiVo about 130G, the recording space becomes effectively infinite. I never worry about drive space at all, and even though I record hundreds of programs, a couple of my TiVos have non KUID programs on them over a year old.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #186
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That should give you a clue.

Yep. A full TiVo is a happy TiVo.

There's a simpler solution: forget about it. There are two caveats, however. One is: Don't abuse KUID. The other is: Get a large enough hard drive. With a large enough hard drive - typically for a Series III class TiVo about 750G - 1T or for an S1 / S2 TiVo about 130G, the recording space becomes effectively infinite. I never worry about drive space at all, and even though I record hundreds of programs, a couple of my TiVos have non KUID programs on them over a year old.
I don't know about 130GB being "infinite". I have a 500GB drive in my S1 DTiVo and less than 80GB free.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #187
pemills

Trying to get autospace (v2.5.5) to work and when following the readme file which says the following;

bash-2.02# /<directory>/autospace

I get the report coming back saying "Permission denied"

Tried to mount the partition as read/write but I just get back

bash: rw: command not found
also tried
mount -0 remount,rw

no luck there either
Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #188
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
... Get a large enough hard drive. With a large enough hard drive - typically for a Series III class TiVo about 750G - 1T or for an S1 / S2 TiVo about 130G, the recording space becomes effectively infinite. I never worry about drive space at all, and even though I record hundreds of programs, a couple of my TiVos have non KUID programs on them over a year old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
I don't know about 130GB being "infinite". I have a 500GB drive in my S1 DTiVo and less than 80GB free.
You just don't have enough interests.

I have 1.25TB in my S3 with 9TB more on the NAS and it has told me on more than one occasion that it can't record any more shows due to being out of space.

The 1500 hours on my S2DT with 500GB does show what infinite looks likes.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #189
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemills View Post
Trying to get autospace (v2.5.5) to work and when following the readme file which says the following;

bash-2.02# /<directory>/autospace

I get the report coming back saying "Permission denied"

Tried to mount the partition as read/write but I just get back

bash: rw: command not found
also tried
mount -0 remount,rw

no luck there either
The mount option is -o, not -0.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #190
PhilG

Quote:
Well, I've got an S1 with around 200Gb BUT we spend most of each year "archiving" movies to watch over Christmas, so there's a big chunk of Tivo occupied with films that we WILL watch, DON'T want deleted but WON'T be watching soon (not so bad in January, but tricky in November/December!)
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #191
pemills

Quote:
The mount option is -o, not -0.
Yeah sorry about the typo, I had entered it right when I was at the bash prompt but typed it wrong when I submitted my question, re-tried a few minutes ago and still getting "permission denied"
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #192
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemills View Post
Yeah sorry about the typo, I had entered it right when I was at the bash prompt but typed it wrong when I submitted my question, re-tried a few minutes ago and still getting "permission denied"
You're on the TiVo itself doing this, or some other Linux distro with the TiVo mounted?

Are you root? Stick a "sudo" in front of the mount if not, or "su root" first.

Is mount in your path?

which mount

Is it executable?

ls -al /path/to/mount
chmod +x /path/to/mount

ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #193
spitfires
wassock

Time for a new version methinks! ;-)

I've taken the latest version I could find (ably ferreted out by mrtickle) and made a few changes.

# 11/09/11 v1.6 [spitfires]
# Corrected recording calculation for UK TiVi (i.e. s/w v2.5.5)
# Added "stop" as a synonym for "exit"
# Append to log file rather than create afresh each run (it's in /var/tmp so will be cleared on a reboot)
# Added command-line parameters:
# -interval xxx - Set cache rebuild interval secs (default 1800)
# -noprogress - Hide the "Getting Data" message
# -nocounts - Hide the recording counts
# -notext - Hide the "Now Playing" text
# -viatc - Refresh cache when going from Tivo Central to Now Playing (shortcutting the timeout)
# (e.g. "autospace.tcl start -interval 300 -nocounts" )
# Changed to retrieve data in the background by default (the previous method can be achieved with the -viatc parameter)
# (Hint: for a minimalist bar use "autospace.tcl start -nocounts -notext -noprogress" )

The biggest changes were to
(1) fix the fact that 1.5 no longer worked on UK TiVi
(2) default to using a timer for recalculating the counts/space. With increasing use of 1TB discs and therefore lots of recordings this was becoming an issue - it was taking a long time for the program to calculate the used space. By doing it in the background it is also not fighting with the myworld program for database access (e.g. on a TiVo with 150 programs it takes over 30 secs when on the Now Playing screen vs. 9 seconds if done as a background task when TiVo is otherwise idle. Similar figures for a "small" TiVo are 12 seconds and 2.5 seconds respectively).

You now have two choices for deciding when autospace will perform a new "Getting Data..." recalculation:
(i) Every 30 mins in the background (the default)
(i) When you go from TivoCentral to Now Playing, or every 30 mins, whichever comes first.

The rest of the time Now Playing displays the cached data.

E.g. for
(1) autospace.tcl start
(2) autospace.tcl start -viatc

Possible future enhancements :
As Brandon suggested when he first wrote autospace, we could easily trap keypresses and change the info displayed accordingly... I've put a keypress event handler in the code (but not enabled it yet) in case anyone wants to take this further

Attached Files
File Type: zip autospace-1.6.zip (53.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #194
mrtickle

This is great, thanks for making those changes! It's quite odd to see the graph there instantly when going into Now Playing Really nice code too. I got 1.5 from theotherplace I think, can't remember - anyway I hope that people find this version.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mrtickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #195
spitfires
wassock

Thanks MrT

One thing I meant to say is that it probably needs amending to detect when a recording starts or stops - at the moment the blob which says it's recording (the one to the right of the status bar) is left in it's last retrieved state, so it appears to be recording when it's not. And vice-versa, if a recording starts in between cache refreshes. I guess the only way to catch this is to also trap the tmkevent for "recording start" and "recording stop" (assuming there is one ) and refresh the cache at that point.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #196
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Nice to see some ongoing hack development

Tivo fires an event whenever something is added/deleted from now playing. (EVT_DATA_CHANGE?)

[edit] looked it up:
EVT_DATA_CHANGED and a subtype RECORDINGS_ON_DISK
it's used in mfs_ftp

Last edited by mikerr : 09-13-2011 at 02:09 PM.
mikerr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #197
spitfires
wassock

Thanks Mike. That would be good for recording start (and also could be used to update the counts when a recording is deleted ), but I don't think that event will trigger when a recording currently in progress stops? I'll have to experiment and see...

Edit: Is there a list of the events anywhere (other than in Inc.itcl) ?

Last edited by spitfires : 09-14-2011 at 03:19 AM.
spitfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #198
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Just a minor edit to merge in a "redbar theme" that I've been using for a couple of years with an older autospace
(and this thread needed pictures!)

autospace.tcl
autospace.tcl start -redbar

Attached Files
File Type: zip autospace-1.6.zip (54.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by mikerr : 09-14-2011 at 07:52 AM.
mikerr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #199
spitfires
wassock

Nice one

Version 1.6.1 - added a refresh option to refresh the cache on demand :
autospace.tcl refresh

The thinking being that if you use "trickey" you could assign a remote control sequence to perform a refresh on your command

Attached Files
File Type: zip autospace-1.6.1.zip (54.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by spitfires : 09-14-2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: fix bug in code!
spitfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:12 AM   #200
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfires View Post
The thinking being that if you use "trickey" you could assign a remote control sequence to perform a refresh on your command .
Thanks for all your work in updating this as a long term autospace user.

However can you explain your above comment about "if you use "trickey""

With reference to Mike's red bar theme I have to say that I prefer the original yellow bar.

And to those who might say "where you have been lately" the answer is dealing with a nightmare financial matter and also unable to post on the AltEPG forum due to some form of ritual humiliation in the stocks over there which has now ended but as a consequence of which I am now reluctant to take the risk of posting there any more (since certain parties involved in that project seem to take any suggestions about possible future feature enhancements of the AltEPG as being some form of attack or criticism of what they have already managed to achieve).

Last edited by Pete77 : 09-15-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Pete77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #201
spitfires
wassock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete77 View Post
can you explain your above comment about "if you use "trickey""
Trickey is a well-known TiVo hack.
(included as standard on the AltEPG image incidentally ).
Old 09-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #202
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
You just don't have enough interests.
Interests are not relevant. The TiVo is a FIFO buffer. Once the buffer exceeds a certain size, increasing it produces diminishing returns that eventually go away entirely. If you are recording more than you watch, then no matter how much hard drive space you have, it won't be enough. You are missing the point, though. One way or another, something has to be removed from the recording space. Ordinarily, the oldest items are going to be the least important. If you haven't watched them in over a year, how likely are you to watch them at all?

Quote:
I have 1.25TB in my S3 with 9TB more on the NAS and it has told me on more than one occasion that it can't record any more shows due to being out of space.
"It" being the TiVo or the NAS? IF it is the TiVo that is reporting that, it's because you are using KUID. KUID breaks the TiVo management model. Used extremely sparingly, it is OK, but in general it is a bad idea.

Quote:
The 1500 hours on my S2DT with 500GB does show what infinite looks likes.
I have a lot more than that, but it is not the point.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 AM   #203
lrhorer

Quote:
Then you should fill up the other 80 GB. Otherwise, it's just wasted space. I have over 4TB total on my 3 TiVos, all of them continuously 100% full. That doesn't prevent any of them from continuing to record programs. If the drives were too small, I would run the risk of having a program I want to watch be deleted before I got the chance to watch it. As long as I watch everything I want or else delete it in under about 18 months, I run no risk of losing anything I want. In nearly 11 years, I have never had any of my TiVos delete anything I did not want them to, yet they are always 100% full. How full the TiVo is is not relevant. It is *WHEN* the program becomes a target for deletion that is relevant.

Last edited by lrhorer : 09-20-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #204
mrtickle

Version 1.6.2
- added "gentle" option Followed by a number - set delay time (msecs) when reading data to avoid stuttering/pixellation". Trouble-shooting to avoid pixellation/stuttering with some cachecard tivos when a background update of the stats is happening. It adds a delay after all successful Db reads (as well as the delays between retries after unsuccessful Db reads) to give tivoapp a chance.

Ie, my tivo! "-gentle 70" works for me.

- added "darkdel" - Show deleted area of bar in dark blue
- added "stripeydel" - Show deleted area of bar in dark/light blue stripes

I've also added logging of the process's priority. This needs "getpri" which is now included (with many thanks to spitfires for his archive of old binaries being even more extensive than mine!). This is also to troubleshoot the problems I'm having with pixellation.

example command lines:
/var/hack/autospace/autospace.tcl start -interval 1800 -gentle 70 -darkdel >/tmp/autospace.err 2>&1 &
/var/hack/autospace/autospace.tcl start -interval 1800 -gentle 70 -stripeydel >/tmp/autospace.err 2>&1 &

(Edit: updated 30th Sep with spitfire's improved catch code.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip autospace-1.6.2.zip (68.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by mrtickle : 09-30-2011 at 03:40 AM. Reason: new upload
Old 10-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #205
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
Just a minor edit to merge in a "redbar theme" that I've been using for a couple of years with an older autospace
(and this thread needed pictures!)
So are you saying that your amended version makes the main bar red instead of yellow? If so I 'm inclined to feel that I prefer the yellow bar. Or did you mean something else?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #206
PhilG

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfires View Post
Trickey is a well-known TiVo hack.
(included as standard on the AltEPG image incidentally ).
That doesn't really help those of us who have never heard of Trickey!

Also, a hint (or two) on HOW to use Trickey to trigger a recalculation of space usage might be handy.....

Thanks

Phil G
Old 01-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #207
mrtickle

Version 1.6.5
Changes for V1.6.5 (mrtickle)
- added "lightdel" option for the background of Deleted recordings
- fixed bug with zero-size recordings
Attached Files
File Type: zip autospace-1.6.5.zip (68.7 KB, 18 views)