Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
gteague
golftango

tivo elite user experience log

2012_0119 0040ct
  • problem: lost channels while recording. discovered at 0620ct.
  • fallout: lost approx 6 hours of potential recordings
  • resolution: reset cable card

Last edited by gteague : 01-19-2012 at 11:45 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
gteague
golftango

2012_0119 1600-1830ct
  • problem: intermittent loss of cable card signal/sync
  • attempted solution: called time warner to pair up a new cable card. i had a working cable card when i called. removed working cable card and inserted new cable card. tw tech unable to pair new cable card. 45 minutes go by ... Finally he gets the 'V' in the 'Conditional' screen which, according to tivo, means the card paired successfully. but i have no channels. tw tech has me take the tuning adaptor out of the line. 30 minutes go by ... he has me take out the cable card and connect the coax directly from the wall to the tivo and try to receive channels. i advise him that since the elite won't do ota i doubt it will tune direct cable input either but he insists it should and declares that i have no cable signal even though i 'prove' to him there is signal because my internet is working and my tv can tune channels. 30 minutes go by during which he insists that i have no signal and need to call the local cable company to roll a truck. after having me do a guided setup which accomplishes nothing, he throws up his hands and quits. but when i hook everything back up the way it originally was, the cable card is now working.
  • resolution/plan: monitor new cable card for signal/sync loss to see if using a new/different cable card will solve the intermittent signal/sync loss i've been experiencing since i got this new elite about 3 weeks ago.

Last edited by gteague : 01-19-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
gteague
golftango

2012_0119 2045ct

• problem: lost channels while recording on two tuners
  • fallout: lost two recordings
  • note: so much for a new cable card. worked for less than two hours. and that means i've replaced all time-warner equip at least once and had tw techs out to verify signal integrity 3 times. problem is going back to tivo as soon as their support lines open tomorrow.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
gteague
golftango

2012_0119 2340ct

• problem: watching live tv. experienced pixellation and channel disappeared
  • fallout: no recordings lost since i caught the loss of sync/signal right away
  • resolution: reset cable card & tuning adaptor

* are we enjoying our tivo experience yet? i sure am. but it's obvious already (to me at least) that this is not a cable signal issue since the first cable card would work for 24-48 hours before disappearing. this new cable card i put in has lost signal/sync 3 times in the last 6 hours. i'm pretty sure this means the problem is the cable card (but this is my 3rd one) or the tivo elite.

Last edited by gteague : 01-19-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
gteague
golftango

2012_0120 btwn 0100-0200ct

• problem: went grocery shopping for one hour. lost channel sync.
  • fallout: ruined two recordings

this is bs, more bs and total bs. tivo needs to fix this or refund my money. i could troubleshoot cable cards forever until the damm box deigns to accept one.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
gteague
golftango

2012_0120 0500ct

• problem: lost channel signal/sync
  • fallout: n/a
  • resolution: tried putting prior cable card in. bad mistake. very bad mistake. didn't work. put original cc back in and the data_id changed, so now i've lost several tiers including premium channels. what a clusterfsck!

Last edited by gteague : 01-20-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
gteague
golftango

2012_0120 0700-0800

• problem: needed to revert to original cable card which is only losing sync about every 18-36 hours as opposed to the new one i installed last night which lost sync about every two hours
  • fallout: no fallout. called tivo cable card self-install center
  • resolution: after one hour got original cable card working again

* monitoring for sync loss. actually sleeping and when i wake up i'll check to see if the cable card is still working. it was a long night and i have a very bad cold. will call tivo when i wake up and complain that time-warner has done about all they are going to do and i (and tivo problems) have worn out our welcome with them.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
turbobozz

This is almost certainly your cable co's fault or an issue with your coax wiring.
Get Tivo to do a three way call with TW.
turbobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Maybe there is an issue with the box. If was a typical problem, many people would be having this issue.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
compnurd

I agree. You are blaming Tivo for something they have almost no control over here. The fact that you are able to swap cable cards for periods of time and have channels suggests that TW does not have something set up right in there system. I would have them send a tech out
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

One thing I've come to expect about cable cards... if your tech shows up with half a dozen, you have a reasonable chance of getting a good one.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
gteague
golftango

2012_0120 btwn 1100-1700

• problem: los while i was asleep
  • fallout: lost any sked recordings

Old 01-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
gteague
golftango

the point i keep returning to again and again and what frustrates me so much is that i had two working cards in an s3 just before the elite purchase. that is the troubleshooting goal, to reduce the problem to one component and the only component i changed was the dvr.

and i've been on two 3-way calls with tivo/time-warner. i had a 4 hour troubleshooting call with tivo where we wrung out all four tuners and recorded hundreds of diagnostic points and tivo said they couldn't really see anything wrong, but i might try replacing the tuning adaptor. needless to say, that wasn't the problem.

every evening for the last month that i haven't had to work i've been on the phone with either tivo or time-warner trying to get this problem resolved. i work nights, so i've lost a considerable amount of sleep over this and now i'm sick. i don't understand how so much of the burden of making this purchase work falls upon me--it is not right.

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 01-20-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
gteague
golftango

just got off the phone with tivo and they agreed with me that they needed to ante up some 'skin' to the game in order to force time-warner to continue to troubleshoot, so they are sending me a replacement box and promise that if this box continues to fail they will negotiate with time-warner on my behalf--something i think they should have taken responsibility for weeks ago.

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 01-20-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobozz View Post
This is almost certainly your cable co's fault or an issue with your coax wiring.
Get Tivo to do a three way call with TW.
the signal level and snr at the catv wall jack (which i read personally from the tw tech laptop on two occasions), while not to tivo standards, are the same as the level and snr as reported in the elite dvr diagnostics screen, which would seem to rule out level loss or added noise in the connections from the wall jack to the tivo. to my mind, this eliminates the coax, coax connectors, and the splitter.

tivo wants a level of about 94 and a snr of 35. my readings are 92 and 37, but those readings are within tw specs, so tivo can complain and whinge all they want, tw is not going to tear things apart or give me gold-conductor coax to meet tivo specs.

/guy
Old 01-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #16
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Maybe there is an issue with the box. If was a typical problem, many people would be having this issue.
tivo is sending out a replacement box next week.

/guy
Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #17
gteague
golftango

2012_0124 btwn 0040-0600

problem: los while i at work
fallout: lost any sked recordings
resolution: reset cable card, but still missing about 1/3rd of my channels--seemingly at random.
further problems: lost tivo service. lost many channels. did tivo cancel my service for this box before i got the replacement in from them? that would be an idiotic move, for them to drop service on this box before i even got the replacement for it in place and notified them. if fending off the cable company idiots wasn't enough for one lifetime ...

Last edited by gteague : 01-25-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
problem: los while i at work
fallout: lost any sked recordings
resolution: reset cable card, but still missing about 1/3rd of my channels--seemingly at random.
further problems: lost tivo service. lost many channels. did tivo cancel my service for this box before i got the replacement in from them? that would be an idiotic move, for them to drop service on this box before i even got the replacement for it in place and notified them. if fending off the cable company idiots wasn't enough for one lifetime ...
I had an issue like this for about 6 months when I got my first S3. It would work fine for a while, then I would lose some channels and then others, then lose recordings, etc.

I had new cablecards installed 3 times. Finally, when I was frustrated enough to throw the Tivo and the cable out, I got ahold of a supervisor that found an issue in their software that was causing the cable card to not know what I was subscribed to. They changed that setting out and I have been basically fine for three years. You never know.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
gteague
golftango

despite an email from someone high up in tivo who said that there were 60 days of temp service put on the box being replaced and the service contract transferred to the replacement (new) box, the cs rep i called at tivo said they routinely cancelled service on boxes that are being replaced without checking to see if the new box arrived or if the owner is even ready to do the replacement. so, even though i put a new cable card in yesterday and wanted to wait and see if my existing box worked with the new card, i am being forced to replace the old box with the new box even though the old box might work with the latest card. now i'll never know.

i had filled up the original box with 22% capacity of recordings, but not having any way to transfer these mean they are just lost. but i guess i should count my blessings--at least the original box worked enough of the time to record that many shows.

so i'll spend many hours after midnight tonight configuring the new box. and i'm sure the existing cable card won't work with it and will have to be re-paired yet again.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #20
gteague
golftango

2012_0125 0300-0700

problem: lost internet connection while setting up new tivo
fallout: unable to connect to tivo to complete guided setup
resolution: bugged cable company until service restored at 0700.

the delights never end. while setting up the new tivo elite, my internet went out right at the step where it has to connect to tivo and get an update. the box is dead as a doornail until this step is done. but i guess i would have had to stay up this late anyway if i wanted to get the cable card paired since the tw self-install center doesn't open until now.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
gteague
golftango

2012_0125 0700-0900

problem: needed to pair up cable card with new tivo
fallout: n/a
resolution: after two hour phone call, agent finally got cable card paired
Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #22
gteague
golftango

2012_0125 0900-1100

problem: lost channels. reseating cable card didn't resolve issue.
fallout: no channels whatsoever
resolution: tw said this was because my new tivo was downloading guide data. called tivo who said this was bs, but in the middle of the call my channels came as suddenly as they went. but since reseating the cable card didn't resolve the issue as it usually does with my los (loss of signal/sync) issues, i can't really call this one a cable card fault.
plan: monitor new tivo for cable card issues.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #23
gteague
golftango

2012_0125 1715

problem: lost channels. pixellated while i was watching, and then went to blank screen
fallout: unfortunately, this means the tivo is most likely not the problem since this is the brand new tivo i installed early this morning
resolution: reseated cable card
plan: 'vendor meeting' conference call monday or tuesday arranged and coordinated at tivo exec level
Old 01-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #24
compnurd

Quote:
problem: lost channels. pixellated while i was watching, and then went to blank screen
fallout: unfortunately, this means the tivo is most likely not the problem since this is the brand new tivo i installed early this morning
resolution: reseated cable card
plan: 'vendor meeting' conference call monday or tuesday arranged and coordinated at tivo exec level
I think the "fallout" is something we have been trying to tell you for over a week now. You need to get a TWC tech at your house and not leave until it is fixed
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #25
gteague
golftango

2012_0127 0630

status check: check of dvr diagnostics to see how the levels are looking
parameters 0,1,2,3:
sig strength: 93,92,87,94
snr: 37,36,34,37db
rs_uncorrected: 5079,4694,5132,5120
rs corrected: 32,537,59,21
cc uptime: 133112s / 2218m / 37h
plan: 'vendor meeting' conference call tuesday 1500ct coordinated at tivo exec level
note: the big surprise here is that the uncorrected errors have come down more than an order-of-magnitude from over 100k to what you see. corrected errors have come down from the thousands to the double digits. my guess as to why is that we had about an 18 hour spell of thunderstorms the last two days with cable and internet outages and perhaps the repair or the simple act of disconnecting and reconnecting things improved connections.

can someone check under the cable card menu, cable card pairing screen and see if, at the top of that screen, they have a notice that says to '... start cable service for this device, please contact your cable provider'? i currently have service or i wouldn't be getting any channels, but i'm curious as to whether that screen is a red herring or not.

Last edited by gteague : 01-29-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
parameters 0,1,2,3:
sig strength: 93,92,87,94
snr: 37,36,34,37db
rs_uncorrected: 5079,4694,5132,5120
rs corrected: 32,537,59,21
cc uptime: 133112s / 2218m / 37h
plan: 'vendor meeting' conference call monday 1500ct coordinated at tivo exec level
note: the big surprise here is that the uncorrected errors have come down more than an order-of-magnitude from over 100k to what you see. corrected errors have come down from the thousands to the double digits. my guess as to why is that we had about an 18 hour spell of thunderstorms the last two days with cable and internet outages and perhaps the repair or the simple act of disconnecting and reconnecting things improved connections.

can someone check under the cable card menu, cable card pairing screen and see if, at the top of that screen, they have a notice that says to '... start cable service for this device, please contact your cable provider'? i currently have service or i wouldn't be getting any channels, but i'm curious as to whether that screen is a red herring or not.

rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
gteague
golftango

yep, bogus. thanks mucho!

/guy
Old 01-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #28
gteague
golftango

2012_0128 0630ct

parameters 0,1,2,3:
channel: 740,766,004,104
sig strength: 85,92,95,94
snr: 34,36,38,37db
rs_uncorrected: 5836,5230,5179,5660
rs corrected: 24667,30,16,562
cc uptime: 220225s / 3670m / 61h
plan: 'vendor meeting' conference call tuesday 1500ct coordinated at tivo exec level
note: 61 hours is as much sync'd time as i've ever logged in the 6 weeks i've been tracking. one very odd thing is that, under the account_and_system_information | dvr_diagnostics it lists tuners 0,1,2,3 and then cable_card_1. all the times before on the original elite i had before this replacement one, when i've looked in the cable_card listing it has said 'oob_signal_lock: yes' and then given me an 'oob_snr' reading (which is usually 40). now it says 'no' in oob_signal_lock' and the 'oob_snr' field is blank. could i impose on someone to check this setting on their box and see what it says? i don't know if you have to be on time warner, have an elite, and have a tuning adaptor or not, is the only problem with interpreting comparisons.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #29
gteague
golftango

2012_0128 btwn 1030-1630

problem: los (loss of signal/loss of sync with cc]
resolution: tried removing coax from cable signal input. didn't work. reseated cable card and channels were restored.
parameters 0,1,2,3:
channel: 740,766,004,104
sig strength: 83,90,93,94
snr: 33,36,37,37db
rs_uncorrected: 6441,5251,5112,6210
rs corrected: 174162,27,51,26
oob signal lock: yes
oob snr: 40db
cc uptime: 768s / 10m / 00h
note: last 'run' was over 60 hours, but the problem has attacked again while i was asleep, as it tends to do for some reason. perhaps activity helps keep it synced although it has locked up while i was watching on at least a couple occasions. note that the 'oob signal lock' i was asking about is now 'yes' and there is an snr figure for the entire cable card, so i have no idea what that section of the dvr diagnostics is telling me since it seems to work either way.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #30
gteague
golftango

2012_0130 1800ct

problem: lost 95% of my cable channels. ph number to cable company is fast busy error. i sincerely hope it's their problem rather than my problem this time. i did all my normal reset ritual and it didn't bring back any of the missing channels. [later note] it was their problem--never heard the cause, but recovered all channels about an hour-and-a-half later.

note: conference call still set for tomorrow afternoon. i tried to get the cable company to get me some cable cards for that call, but they wouldn't/couldn't do it although they again promised to mail me a couple of brand new ones. they've promised that once before and never sent them.

Last edited by gteague : 01-31-2012 at 05:29 PM.