TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo out of warrnty repair for S3?

So according to Weaknees it's unlikely that my tuner problem is being caused by a bad power supply. I'm still going to check, but if it's OK then do I have any other options? Does TiVo offer out of warranty repair/replacement for old S3 units still? This unit has lifetime service so replacing it completely would be a minimum of $500. (i.e. $99 premiere, $399 lifetime MSD) I'm hoping there is a way to get it fixed or replaced cheaper then that while retaining my lifetime sub.

Do I have any options?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
mattack

Call them up.. they sometimes will give people an offer to buy a new (to you -- i.e. I think it might be refurbished) unit cheaper than people can normally buy it, with lifetime. It'll still be a few hundred total AFAIK.

That wouldn't save any of your existing programming, however.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
atmuscarella

They used to offer to replace the unit with a refurbished one for $150 and move the lifetime to the replacement unit. However someone claimed they will not do that any more. It would be interesting to know one way or the other, so if you call them post back what they offered you.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
So according to Weaknees it's unlikely that my tuner problem is being caused by a bad power supply. I'm still going to check, but if it's OK then do I have any other options? Does TiVo offer out of warranty repair/replacement for old S3 units still? This unit has lifetime service so replacing it completely would be a minimum of $500. (i.e. $99 premiere, $399 lifetime MSD) I'm hoping there is a way to get it fixed or replaced cheaper then that while retaining my lifetime sub.

Do I have any options?

Dan
If it's an original "thermometer front" S3 the Atmel crypto chip (where the TSN is) can be moved to another motherboard by someone who knows what they're doing.

But absolutely eliminate the possibility of there being anything wrong with the drive or power supply first.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
bob9550

Called TiVo today on my S3 that died yesterday

and they generously offered a $149 refurbed S3 with a $299 fee to transfer the Lifetime Service to the refurb. What a joke! About $450. I could buy a new 1tb drive from Weaknees for about $400 and get 4 times the storage. The internal drive failed the test.

I've owned 4 TiVos over the years and their best recommendation was to call Weaknees. Speaks volumes. Eventually all that good Dish TV lawsuit money will run dry and the miserable way TiVo deals with loyal customers will come back to haunt them. Hello Windows Media Center. Is it TiVo? Nope. Is it a serviceable alternative to the greedy TiVo folks? You bet!
bob9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
Speed Daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob9550 View Post
and they generously offered a $149 refurbed S3 with a $299 fee to transfer the Lifetime Service to the refurb. What a joke! About $450. I could buy a new 1tb drive from Weaknees for about $400 and get 4 times the storage. The internal drive failed the test.
$400?!?!? Are you kidding? I have 8 1TB HDs. Seven of them cost $99 from NewEgg. The $400 one came with a 6-core CPU, 8GiB RAM, a Radeon HD 5700 Series GPU and Windows 7...oh yes, and a computer.

Quote:
I've owned 4 TiVos over the years and their best recommendation was to call Weaknees. Speaks volumes. Eventually all that good Dish TV lawsuit money will run dry and the miserable way TiVo deals with loyal customers will come back to haunt them. Hello Windows Media Center. Is it TiVo? Nope. Is it a serviceable alternative to the greedy TiVo folks? You bet!
The last time I checked there is no "Dish TV lawsuit money" there to run dry.

Remember that TiVo settled its AT&T and EchoStar suits. That means that TiVo has to pay all of their own legal expenses; only winners have legal fees reimbursed. And the money they're getting is contractual, which means that they must provide goods and services in exchange for that money. No goods and services delivered, no money paid. So TiVo got no free money, and has to pay all those legal bills.

It's hard to believe that in the not so distant past that Microsoft was the most hated company in America. It's no small accomplishment to make Bill Gates look like Richard Stallman in comparison to your own company policies!
Speed Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
chazas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob9550 View Post
and they generously offered a $149 refurbed S3 with a $299 fee to transfer the Lifetime Service to the refurb. What a joke! About $450.
Wow. My S3 died a couple of years ago, a few months after I bought lifetime service - I did a $149 "repair" and the lifetime service followed. Hearing this answer would make me politely hang up and call back again until I got the answer I wanted.
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post

Remember that TiVo settled its AT&T and EchoStar suits. That means that TiVo has to pay all of their own legal expenses; only winners have legal fees reimbursed. And the money they're getting is contractual, which means that they must provide goods and services in exchange for that money. No goods and services delivered, no money paid. So TiVo got no free money, and has to pay all those legal bills.
I do not read anywhere that anyone indicated the legal fees were covered.

A settlement like this is designed to cover myriad of costs - only TiVo and Echo star know if "cost of legal fees" were built into that calculation. The only thing we do know is that under the terms of the settlement, DISH and EchoStar agreed to pay $500 million to TiVo.

The first $300 million to be paid up front while the other $200 million to be paid in six annual payments between 2012 and 2017.

As for TiVo, they granted DISH Network a license under its Time Warp patent.

DISH/Echostar LOST all legal arguments and settled before an actual judgement could be rendered. That is the way the legal system works in most cases.

I suspect that if you go into the case record you find that the district court judge ordered several settlement talks. With such an order the litigants are required to enter into a settlement discussion and report the outcome to the court.

This is done by courts to ensure a fair settlement and eliminates the need for the court to calculate and apply damages.

Frankly, I would challenge you to find an intellectual property suit that didn't end in a settlement.

http://www.patentlyo.com/files/tivo-...to-aso_new.pdf

From the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit:

Quote:
This court issued its en banc decision and opinion in this case on April 20, 2011. The judgment affirmed in part, vacated in part, and remanded for additional pro-ceedings. In part, we affirmed the district court’s exercise of its discretion to impose sanctions against the appel-lants.
The sanctions referenced by the court includes the August 2006 permanent injunction requiring EchoStar to disable their infringing DVRs and the September 2009 ruling against EchoStar Corp. for violating that permanent injunction. In this case the District Court awarded TiVo Inc. $2.25 per DVR subscriber per month for the contempt period.

Quote:
On May 2, 2011, prior to this court’s issuance of the mandate, the parties informed us that they had settled the case on April 29, 2011, and asked us to dismiss the appeal. The parties did not inform us that they had settled the matter before issuance of our decision nor do they inform us that they had agreed to a disposition of the matter dependent upon our decision. It is clear that if the parties had entered into such an agreement before issu-ance of our decision, it was counsel’s duty to inform this court of the agreement. Board of License Comm’rs of Tiverton v. Pastore, 469 U.S. 238, 240 (1985); see also Arizonans for Official English v. Arizona, 520 U.S. 43, 68 n.23 (1997) (citing Pastore) (“It is the duty of counsel to bring to the federal tribunal's attention, ‘without delay,’ facts that may raise a question of mootness.”) (emphasis in original). Clearly, they did not settle before our deci-sion.
Quote:
Although the parties do not ask us to vacate our decision, at this stage, days before issuance of a mandate, we determine that granting the motion to dismiss, which would result in a modification or vacatur of our en banc judgment, is neither required nor a proper use of the judicial system.
In other words... The Federal Court had made an en banc (seven judges sitting) decision and was ready to issue a mandate to honor an in place injunction forcing Echostar to stop using their DVR's, the case was to then return to the district court for additional proceedings.

TiVo and Dish / Echostar settled (read Dish begged TiVo to settle) before that mandate could be issued. The court specifically found that the settlement did not vacate the courts findings and the request to dismiss the case was not proper and denied.

Look Speed Daemon if you do not understand the legal system, maybe you should refrain from posting on forums as some type of expert.

****EDIT****
Did the settlement include legal fees? Lets look a the evidence:

TiVo v. Echostar United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas

2006 - Echostar ordered to pay $74,000,000 + a Permanent Injunction against Echostar DVR's is ordered.
2009 - Echostar found in contempt on the Permanent Injunction and ordered to pay additional $90,000,000 plus court costs

Total judgement against Echostar to date $164,000,0000 plus court costs.

United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit

2010 - 3 Judges sitting: “clear and convincing evidence" to uphold the Contempt rulling
2011 - en banc sitting: Affirmed the district court’s exercise of its discretion to impose sanctions against the appel-lants.

So Echostar settles with TiVo for $500,000,000 when the origional judgement was @ $164,000,000 plus court costs. (this represents only three years of DVR usage under the mandate order - the next number would have been at least $100,000,000 more.)

So my math tells me that - yeah, Dish/Echostar did tack on a few dollars for legal fees, now that you ask.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 01-26-2012 at 03:12 PM.
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
HerronScott

Dan,

Did you get your TiVo fixed yet?

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote