TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #31
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Can some of you guys take a look at the first aired date of first run shows in the guide? All the first aired dates are a day behind.
A quick look forward and back through the guide shows that all first run shows have the same problem.
If you look at a recorded shows details from My Shows the first aired date is correct but wrong in the guide.
For example, Conan was new tonight. In the guide for tonights episode the first aired date is 1/16/12. In the show details in My Shows the first aired date is 1/17/12.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #32
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
Can some of you guys take a look at the first aired date of first run shows in the guide? All the first aired dates are a day behind.
A quick look forward and back through the guide shows that all first run shows have the same problem.
If you look at a recorded shows details from My Shows the first aired date is correct but wrong in the guide.
For example, Conan was new tonight. In the guide for tonights episode the first aired date is 1/16/12. In the show details in My Shows the first aired date is 1/17/12.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481338
Old 01-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #33
andyf

Margret tweeted that they would be fixing that.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #34
blackngold75

My TiVo Premiere was in my basement "home theater" and I had not used it much lately and been away from the forums for a few weeks. I was surprised by the look and feel changes that came my way last week with the 20.2 update - I have liked my Premiere since day 1 and it keeps getting better. With these latest changes, I had to move the Premiere to the family room where it gets used much more - and I sent the TiVoHD to the basement. Thanks for the update, TiVo!

My only complaint: now that streaming is there I am sort of itching to sell the TiVoHD and buy another Premiere instead.
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #35
LoREvanescence

I have to say I have had no issues with 20.2.

I did see a slight glitch that was funny though this morning that I never seen happen before.

COX had to send a hit to my tuning adapter, It brought up a message saying my tuner adapter was disconnected, then a message saying a tuning adapter was connected. It was one of the message windows in the SDUI. I clicked ok on it and was sent back to the HDUI Home Page. The SDUI remained in the Picture In Picture. Tried to take a picture of it, but by the time I got my camera and aimed it it bounced back to live tv. The SDUI was in the PiP for about 30 seconds.

I think this happened because there were two back to back messages that forced them selves on the screen. so when I hit select on the second one, it was still showing the first one for what ever reason in the PiP box
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #36
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap View Post
As a TivoHD user I've been waiting for the Premiere to be updated to a usable level. It seems like 20.2 might be there for me. But as a TivoHD user I don't understand what you mean by "lack of fluidity". What do you mean? Do you think this is a deal breaker? Should I hold out a little longer?
Sorry for the late reply. By "lack of fludity", I was talking about the transitions between menu screens and the guides. This is a pretty minor cosmetic fix that will probrary be refined over time. It's certainly nowhere significant as compared to the speed boost that 20.2 brings.

I wouldn't hestiate upgrading to a Premere now. If you can afford it go for the Elite. TiVo should discontinue the regular Premiere IMO and just stick with the XL reduced to current Premiere pricing and the Elite.
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #37
Thunderclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
I wouldn't hestiate upgrading to a Premere now. If you can afford it go for the Elite. TiVo should discontinue the regular Premiere IMO and just stick with the XL reduced to current Premiere pricing and the Elite.
This is a great suggestion, but I don't see Tivo doing it anytime soon. I can't afford the Elite and a Lifetime Subscription so I'm probably going to stick with the basic Premiere since together that will run me $400. That's about my budget at the moment.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #38
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
If TiVo sold the Premiere XL for $99 it would be substantially lower in cost than just buying the hard drive that is in it. Effectively meaning people would buy the unit just to pull the hard drive and trash the rest. So given what is going on in the hard drive world I wouldn't expect anything with a hard drive to come down in price until hard drives do.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #39
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
If TiVo sold the Premiere XL for $99 it would be substantially lower in cost than just buying the hard drive that is in it. Effectively meaning people would buy the unit just to pull the hard drive and trash the rest. So given what is going on in the hard drive world I wouldn't expect anything with a hard drive to come down in price until hard drives do.
No, because the TiVo is and has never been available at a price of $99. If bought at $99, then it is a down payment on a financed TiVo.... so now add in your early termination fee to find out what the TiVo price was.

Anyway, two years later, it doesn't seem necessary to have an XL and a non XL model anymore. The two units are identical except the XL has a larger hard drive. Default drive size has increased a lot, so there is nearly zero extra expense for TiVo to make an XL "model" (price out the drives now, they cost the same or nearly so). And the Glo Remote included with the XL is pretty much a waste, since the Slide Remote (which is NOT included) is what people will want, and it is much better.

So my suggestion would be to either drop the XL model and bump the disk space in the regular Premiere, or keep the two models and lower the price of the XL and also bundle the Slide remote with it instead of the Glo remote.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #40
TomTech

I just got my Premiere after owning a Series 2 for 5 years.

My largest complaint so far is "Search By Title". The Premiere version is useless. What happen to being able to 'categorize' (refine) your search?

For example: In my Series 2 I could find out if there were any new "Old" sitcoms being broadcast by filtering my search down to 'Search By Title:Comedies:Sitcoms' and simply read through a list of all available sitcoms. None of this is available.

Been told I could use Wish-List for that, but even the suggester stated that this was not efficient.

I don't think "TiVo Knows Me" anymore!
TomTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #41
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTech View Post
I just got my Premiere after owning a Series 2 for 5 years.

My largest complaint so far is "Search By Title". The Premiere version is useless. What happen to being able to 'categorize' (refine) your search?
But you can. In the HDUI, when in Search, press the "A" button, then select your options. If you want to filter by category, choose that option and select which categories. I think they need MORE categories, but the option is there. It might be a bit of effort to do all that, but I like not having to enter through all the options stuff EVERY TIME I want to search for something, like we used to have to do (because 95% of the time, I search by title and want to search across everything).
Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #42
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
No, because the TiVo is and has never been available at a price of $99. If bought at $99, then it is a down payment on a financed TiVo.... so now add in your early termination fee to find out what the TiVo price was.

Anyway, two years later, it doesn't seem necessary to have an XL and a non XL model anymore. The two units are identical except the XL has a larger hard drive. Default drive size has increased a lot, so there is nearly zero extra expense for TiVo to make an XL "model" (price out the drives now, they cost the same or nearly so). And the Glo Remote included with the XL is pretty much a waste, since the Slide Remote (which is NOT included) is what people will want, and it is much better.

So my suggestion would be to either drop the XL model and bump the disk space in the regular Premiere, or keep the two models and lower the price of the XL and also bundle the Slide remote with it instead of the Glo remote.
I think you missed my point. If TiVo sold a DVR with 1TB drives in it for $99 (less at places like Amazon) people would by the DVR just to get a cheap 1TB drive. So unless TiVo would like people buying DVRs to rip apart for parts there is no way they could offer a bigger drive in whatever DVR they were selling at $99, until after drives drop in price again. Heck I bet there are more than a few Premieres that were bought only to have for spare parts specially when Amazon sold them for close to $50 at one point.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #43
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I think you missed my point. If TiVo sold a DVR with 1TB drives in it for $99 (less at places like Amazon) people would by the DVR just to get a cheap 1TB drive. So unless TiVo would like people buying DVRs to rip apart for parts there is no way they could offer a bigger drive in whatever DVR they were selling at $99, until after drives drop in price again. Heck I bet there are more than a few Premieres that were bought only to have for spare parts specially when Amazon sold them for close to $50 at one point.
OK, I think I see what you mean. Even though the purchase price is not really what the total cost is for MOST people, one could still buy it and never activate it, so there would never be a forced early termination fee. It is a bit different than a cell phone, for example, where you can't walk out the door with your "$99" phone (which is really a $500 phone) without having already signed a contract.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #44
TomTech

I totally understand. The Premier I just setup was bought on Craigslist for $40. I expected the worst case scenario was I just bought a 320G drive for $40...

So...While on the subject of Hard Drives....I just got word from TiVo support that says they don't sell the 1TB WD External anymore...some sort of issue with them...Any clues on where to get one at the least price possible?
TomTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #45
jaquade

No Complaints only a question. I have 20.2 on both of my Premiere's, thanks to chatting with customer service and getting on the priority list. I can't MRS yet, how long after getting the updates does it take for Tivo to turn on MRS?
jaquade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #46
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaquade View Post
No Complaints only a question. I have 20.2 on both of my Premiere's, thanks to chatting with customer service and getting on the priority list. I can't MRS yet, how long after getting the updates does it take for Tivo to turn on MRS?
MRS will probably be turned on for everyone once the roll out is complete which they expect by next Wednesday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #47
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You want complaints? I got 'em. The first three things I tried were busted, basically:

- I played my Reversi game. The display was slightly messed up, which wasn't a big deal. Then, the TiVo crashed, which was a huge deal.
- I tried transferring some programs back and forth. Two problems there:
-- Metadata is messed up in a big way. Many (in fact most) items are not transferred back to the TiVo, not even using a genuine .TiVo file pulled off of it moments before (and verified to contain the items).
-- All transfers are throttled to around 20 Mbps.

At least these are my initial experiences. Not good.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 01-19-2012 at 01:18 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #48
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
You want complaints? I got 'em. The first three things I tried were busted, basically:

- I played my Reversi game. The display was slightly messed up, which wasn't a big deal. Then, the TiVo crashed, which was a huge deal.
-- Metadata is messed up in a big way. Many (in fact most) items are not transferred back to the TiVo, not even using a genuine .TiVo file pulled off of it moments before (and verified to contain the items).

I don't do games, and any throttling could be to avoid hogging the network. (OK, I'm an optimist.) But bad metadata is an embarrassing problem that TiVo needs to fix. I haven't transferred anything lately, and some people may never notice, but if the data is there originally, it should be exported and imported. No excuses.

And I wish they would keep a few more data items, like the number of uncorrected errors that occurred as the show was received. That one would enable them to automatically reschedule shows that are received incomplete or with too many errors.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #49
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It doesn't matter if you do games, the bugs apply to all HME apps.

I believe I was wrong about the throttling, sorry.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #50
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you do games, the bugs apply to all HME apps.

I believe I was wrong about the throttling, sorry.
I've been using streambaby quite a bit since 20.2 hit my premieres, haven't had a crash yet. I'll try Reversi later tonight. Are there any steps guaranteed to reproduce or will it pretty much happen on its own if I just enter and exit the app? If I can reproduce, would you find the logs, or anything else, useful?
A Web app for Roku Remote Control

Last edited by gonzotek : 01-19-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Forgot reversi is hosted :-)
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #51
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
I've been using streambaby quite a bit since 20.2 hit my premieres, haven't had a crash yet. I'll try Reversi later tonight. Are there any steps guaranteed to reproduce or will it pretty much happen on its own if I just enter and exit the app? If I can reproduce, would you find the logs, or anything else, useful?
Actually 20.2 did break closed captions in streambaby. That's the first HME app where I noticed 20.2 broke something. I had to make a new version of streambaby with more closed captioning options to workaround the problem. See this thread for the gory details:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481529

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #52
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Actually 20.2 did break closed captions in streambaby. That's the first HME app where I noticed 20.2 broke something. I had to make a new version of streambaby with more closed captioning options to workaround the problem. See this thread for the gory details:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481529
Yeah, I'm following it already. I don't use captions, so I'm lucky that hasn't affected me. But I was answering to william's crash report, I haven't seen any crashes with 20.2 on my two premieres, in hme apps or other areas.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #53
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine

I transferred several shows on Saturday Premiere to Premiere .Mine did seem a little slower than normal but I was getting around 70mb/s instead of the normal 80 to 90mb/s transfer rates.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #54
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I transferred several shows on Saturday Premiere to Premiere .Mine did seem a little slower than normal but I was getting around 70mb/s instead of the normal 80 to 90mb/s transfer rates.
That's what I'm seeing now, too (from a wired computer).

Old 01-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #55
innocentfreak

I thought someone, it might even be in the FAQ, said the transfers might slow down when dual core was enabled.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #56
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The transfers sped way up when dual core was enabled, which was in 14.9. Now they've come back down a little, but are still well above where they were, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
I'll try Reversi later tonight. Are there any steps guaranteed to reproduce or will it pretty much happen on its own if I just enter and exit the app?
I've only had it crash once so far. I was able to play with no crashes later. But, I did nothing special.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #57
innocentfreak

Quote:
The transfers sped way up when dual core was enabled, which was in 14.9. Now they've come back down a little, but are still well above where they were, IIRC.
I thought Aaronwt was always getting the same speeds until 20.2. I believe I have always averaged around 70-80mb/s, but I will double check when I get home.

I wonder also then if they capped it to try to avoid reboots. By setting a cap, potentially couldn't they leave room for TiVo to always reach the TiVo servers?

Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #58
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I should say, transfers of program streams (which need to be remuxed) sped up in 14.9. I think you're right that MP4 pushes were always about that fast, but I didn't keep a record.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #59
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Eeeek! Someone decide exactly what changed with network speed so I can properly document it

(I changed it three times so far)
Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #60
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
My only complaint is that yesterday my TiVo Premiere (with 20.2) became unresponsive to remote commands (or very very slow). I did a chat session with TiVo after unplugging and rebooting didn't work. They had me do a "Thumbs down, thumbs up, play, play" sequence and it seemed to help afterwards.
the rep had me to press plause an the Yivo button til they blinked three times then release to reset the remote for what ever that does
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote