astrohip
Stuart F

The Killing Season Two news

Possible spoilers for season two...
{spoilers only in the broadest sense...}

News from TVLine.com

http://www.tvline.com/2012/01/dates-...-walking-dead/
Quote:
AMC has announced the Season 2 premiere date for The Killing, which will pick up the Larsen case as well as delve into a new mystery starting Sunday, April 1, at 8/7c with a two-hour opener. That pits the rain-drenched cop drama against the Season 2 premiere of HBO’s Game of Thrones (at 9 pm).

At the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour, AMC’s VP of programming Joel Stillerman confirmed reports that Rosie’s killer would be unmasked in the show’s Season 2 finale. He also confessed that the network didn’t sufficiently manage expectations with regard to extending the mystery beyond Season 1.
{bold is mine}
First, I don't really care, I'm over this show. I have no intention of watching another minute of it.

Having said that... They're gonna wait until the end of the entire season to reveal the killer? I think they have no realization of how much hostility people still have toward this show. And when the word spreads that you gotta invest another season in such a poorly written show to get some closure...

I would expect ratings to drop 30-40% this season. Of the 4-5 people I personally know who watch it, all were unhappy. I think the producers have lost their minds.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
sharkster

I'm with you! Not only have I dropped this show from my life, I don't even care anymore, one whit, who killed her. That show had some potential, but they killed it. Maybe THAT is the killing they should storyline.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
TheMerk
Always Bid First

I'm not as angry with the producers as I was immediately after the S1 finale. I'm ready to go back to the show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
I'm not as angry with the producers as I was immediately after the S1 finale. I'm ready to go back to the show.
...as am I. However, I wonder if he meant the S2 premiere and not finale. That makes absolutely no sense to drag it out another 10 or whatever episodes...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
w1ngman

Nope, the news reported that they plan to hang 100% of S2 on still finding her killer, only to be revealed apparently in the final episode of S2... The *whole town* ain't that interesting to keep me engaged in wondering who the killer turns out to be...much less the slow character discovery the writers/director trundle you through... Thanks, but no thanks...
w1ngman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Family

Even with the complaints this is still better than most of what is on television.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
billypritchard
Embiggener

There is no way I will watch Season 2. It's not like season 1 was that great, and without a completion of the mystery, nope.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
ADG
Allan

I'm not big on cutting off my nose to spite my face. I didn't like how they ended the season last year, but it's still among the best shows on the air and I'll be watching.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
robojerk

I don't get how anyone could say this is better than most other shows on TV. The pilot was awesome, but it's been pointed out that was a scene for scene copy of the original. I begrudgingly watched the show go to crap after that, then the episode when the girl cop on a morning jog luckily stumbled on the big clue that broke the case (something I complained a simple Google search would produce) sealed the deal for me that this show was crap. The cops are not working the case at all, instead they're just getting distracted on anything that takes us, the audience, on some wild chase that we know won't pan out.

A second season of more of the same is not interesting to me. I was really hoping for a smart police show, instead all I see is gimmicky who dun' it writing.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
There is no way I will watch Season 2. It's not like season 1 was that great, and without a completion of the mystery, nope.
I agree I lost interest in it, don't even think I watched the last couple of episodes.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngman View Post
Nope, the news reported that they plan to hang 100% of S2 on still finding her killer, only to be revealed apparently in the final episode of S2... The *whole town* ain't that interesting to keep me engaged in wondering who the killer turns out to be...much less the slow character discovery the writers/director trundle you through... Thanks, but no thanks...
Problem solved. We can watch only the finale and save wasting yet another season of this utter train wreck.

Better yet get some stoic volunteers here at TiVo to watch the season and post a synopsis. That should do it!
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
cheesesteak
Meh.

How the hell are they going to drag a single murder mystery out over TWO seasons? I am sick and tired of the depressing Larsen family and I'm sick and tired of dreary, rainy ass Seattle. I'll probably still tune in but I can see myself tuning out pretty quickly.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
cherry ghost

Spoiler:
The original Danish version also revealed the killer in the last episode of Season 2.

cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Spoiler:
The original Danish version also revealed the killer in the last episode of Season 2.
It was the second half of the first season. The first season was 20 episodes. Each episode was 1 day of the investigation and it took 20 days to solve the case.
When originally aired, they divided the series up into two 10-episode halves with several months separating both halves.

The actual second season takes place two years later.

But yeah, it took about the same amount of episodes for them to tell the story.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
mm2margaret
Meagan

Well, here's my take; I WILL watch the show and season 2. I will record it and view it when I feel like it. I did enjoy season 1 although at times I thought it was a bit thin and stretched, but it was available during the summer, and there is an absolute dearth of good TV during the summer, and it was the best of the summer shows I saw last summer.

IF it were being broadcasted during the regular TV season (Fall to Spring), I might not pay that much attention to it. But it's not. It's being broadcast during the summer.

So, yes, next summer, I'm looking forward to it, and I definitely will watch it. But that's hardly a ringing endorsement.
mm2margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
whitson77
Director Level

I loved season one, but this is a horrible fail...
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The only thing about this announcement that's not a fail is the fact that they announced it so people won't tune into the season premiere expecting things to be resolved.

But at the same time, that's a fail in and of itself, because now anyone who was on the fence about watching S2 will probably just decide it's not worth it. I'll be shocked if the average ratings for S2 are more than 70% of the average ratings for S1.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #18
mrdazzo7

I will PROBABLY tune in... I liked most aspects of the show, at least enough to record a few then watch, marathon style. I'm having a hard time getting into any new shows so I should have room for it. The deciding factor for me will be how the first couple of eps are written. Knowing the reveal isn't coming right away is actually good because I'll be able to let the episodes stand and fall on their own.

I was annoyed by the killer thing at first but whatevs, I kind of figured it out when there was 10 minutes left and a lot of stuff was still going on. The biggest problem I had with the finale was

Spoiler:
the Holder twist.

We'll have to see where it goes but it was so "wait we need a big twist at the last second--throw this in!!" It reminded me of a certain first season 24 twist that I hated (but was ok with later).
Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
WhiskeyTango

I'll be watching. One thing that pisses me off is what the producer Veena Sud said about the fans reaction to the S1 finale. Essentially she said it's her show, she's going to do it the way she wants, and basically doesn't care what the fans think.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
....Essentially she said it's her show, she's going to do it the way she wants, and basically doesn't care what the fans think.
Why should she? How many shows cater to the fans' whim? Not many...

XL4
Old 01-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #21
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Why should she? How many shows cater to the fans' whim? Not many...
Because the fans are the ones that keep her show on the air. I wouldn't say catering to their whims as much as taking some constructive criticism moving forward. Fans were pissed because the season ended without a resolution. So what do they do? Make everyone wait an entire second season. At least pretend you give a ****.

I know Lost producers listened to the fans and killed off two characters that were widely panned by fans.

Last edited by WhiskeyTango : 01-18-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I know Lost producers listened to the fans and killed off two characters that were widely panned by fans.
You forget that those two characters were introduced in response to fan complaints ("Why don't we ever see any of the other survivors?!?"). Killing them off was admitting they made a mistake listening to the fans in the first place. And having a little fun with it.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #23
philw1776

Quote:
I'll be watching. One thing that pisses me off is what the producer Veena Sud said about the fans reaction to the S1 finale. Essentially she said it's her show, she's going to do it the way she wants, and basically doesn't care what the fans think.
Her reward for her arrogance will be pitiful ratings
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #24
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
You forget that those two characters were introduced in response to fan complaints ("Why don't we ever see any of the other survivors?!?"). Killing them off was admitting they made a mistake listening to the fans in the first place. And having a little fun with it.
Those new characters on Lost were supposed to make the show friendly to new viewers, pretty much whenever anything was going on those 2 would would be in the background saying something like "Don't you remember when ....". The loyal fan base hated the addition, since they had been following so closely for years already. If they introduced new characters that actually had something to bring to the current plot, other than to rehash what we already knew, I think we would have liked them.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #25
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Because the fans are the ones that keep her show on the air. I wouldn't say catering to their whims as much as taking some constructive criticism moving forward. Fans were pissed because the season ended without a resolution. So what do they do? Make everyone wait an entire second season. At least pretend you give a ****.

You're living in a dream world if you believe producers listen to fans...and do what they suggest...

XL4
Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #26
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
You're living in a dream world if you believe producers listen to fans...and do what they suggest...
Where did I ever say they do what fans suggest? I said the Lost producers listened to the fans and acted accordingly.

Quote:
The producers are working very hard to keep the fans who are still watching satisfied and tuned in. That's why they (literally) buried Kiele Sanchez and Rodrigo Santoro's unpopular newcomers, Nikki and Paulo. Originally, the diamond-swiping crooks were to have anchored a winking arc of stories; one twist-ending episode would have devoted its flashback to actress Nikki's cheeky TV show, Exposé, about strippers who solve crimes. But faced with mounting disdain toward the abruptly introduced characters — and ramped-up viewer frustration with the show's aggressively enigmatic storytelling — the producers decided in December to telescope their ideas into a single kiss-off episode. ''Back when we had more good faith with the audience, we could have gotten away with these shenanigans. Given the backlash against them, we had to clean up the mess,'' says Lindelof. ''We're now judged on an episode-by-episode basis. There's not a lot of room for error.''
My point from the beginning is the producer of a show shouldn't be telling fans to basically eff off. It's generally not a good idea to piss off your customers.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Where did I ever say they do what fans suggest? I said the Lost producers listened to the fans and acted accordingly.

My point from the beginning is the producer of a show shouldn't be telling fans to basically eff off. It's generally not a good idea to piss off your customers.
And, as I said, she could care less, and I don't blame her. Why should she. They aren't her "customers"....

XL4
Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #28
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
And, as I said, she could care less, and I don't blame her. Why should she. They aren't her "customers"....
Are you arguing for the sake of arguing? What is it exactly that you don't understand about the relationship between a TV show and viewers. I've already explained why she should care about insulting viewers. Let me simplify. Make fans mad, fans go away. Fans go away, show goes away.

She doesn't have to care, but she also doesn't have to say as much.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #29
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Are you arguing for the sake of arguing? ....
No, because you're under the delusion that viewers are "customers", that's why.

XL4
Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
WhiskeyTango

Really? That's what you're going with. Fine. I'm done. Peace out.