Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #8281
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opy99pc View Post
Hello everyone,

A few days ago I cancelled my DirectTV and purchased a Tivo Premiere with the intention of switching to a bare bones Comcast package (for pricing reasons). I decided to purchase the Digital Economy package and requested a Cable Card install. Digital Economy is essentially basic plus a few additional channels. It does not include on demand or channel guide.

When the installer showed up he was under the impression that I needed at least Digital Starter for the cable card to function. Otherwise, the only way for it to work would be a cable box. He called his technical support and they backed him up. I was not about to pay for the price difference so I sent him home and called Comcast again. I spoke with a few Comcast reps over the course of a few phone calls and some backed up the installer while others said that wasn't true.

I ended up speaking with a very knowledgeable rep and he said that it would not be a problem to have a cable card with digital basic. A different installer came out again today and upon arrival he said the same thing the previous installer said.

I ended up accepting a digital starter package and intend to drop my service to digital basic and hope it works.

Has anyone else run into a similar situation?
Comcast pricing varies from one town to the NEXT.

The Bottom line is you NEED a CableCard plugged
into your TiVo or NOTHING will work.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #8282
lpwcomp

Quote:
Hello everyone,

A few days ago I cancelled my DirectTV and purchased a Tivo Premiere with the intention of switching to a bare bones Comcast package (for pricing reasons). I decided to purchase the Digital Economy package and requested a Cable Card install. Digital Economy is essentially basic plus a few additional channels. It does not include on demand or channel guide.

When the installer showed up he was under the impression that I needed at least Digital Starter for the cable card to function. Otherwise, the only way for it to work would be a cable box. He called his technical support and they backed him up. I was not about to pay for the price difference so I sent him home and called Comcast again. I spoke with a few Comcast reps over the course of a few phone calls and some backed up the installer while others said that wasn't true.

I ended up speaking with a very knowledgeable rep and he said that it would not be a problem to have a cable card with digital basic. A different installer came out again today and upon arrival he said the same thing the previous installer said.

I ended up accepting a digital starter package and intend to drop my service to digital basic and hope it works.

Why didn't you insist on a self-install?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #8283
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Digital Economy is essentially basic plus a few additional channels. It does not include on demand or channel guide.
The package does include on demand and the channel guide, but you need Comcast's equipment (not a CableCard) to use it.
Quote:
Yep, the exact same situation except with Limited Cable and without the installer telling me that I couldn't do it. The rep at the service center wouldn't give me or even listen to me when I asked for a CC with Limited, so I asked to sign up for Digital, got the card, walked out, installed it, and promptly canceled the Digital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
The Bottom line is you NEED a CableCard plugged into your TiVo or NOTHING will work.
Couldn't be further from the truth. I'm using my TiVo HD without a CC right now and it works perfectly. Only thing is that I'm only getting analog non-HD channels.
Atomic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #8284
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Taco View Post
Couldn't be further from the truth. I'm using my TiVo HD without a CC right now and it works perfectly. Only thing is that I'm only getting analog non-HD channels.
Maybe you call that working - I don't.

How is the TiVo Guide Working?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #8285
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Maybe you call that working - I don't.

How is the TiVo Guide Working?
You said nothing. I call 30 channels something.

The TiVo Guide works the same way as every other TiVo. The CableCard doesn't give you guide info. If it did, there would be little reason to pay the monthly TiVo service fee.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #8286
drhankz

Quote:
FCC requires free cable distribution of Broadcast HD - for which you need a CC at extra costs - It is a never win battle.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #8287
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
FCC requires free cable distribution of Broadcast HD - for which you need a CC at extra costs - It is a never win battle.
But if "NOTHING will work" then I wouldn't get my analog channels. CableCards are NOT required to use a TiVo, it will work fine, and CableCards are not the only way to get HD channels.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #8288
lpwcomp

Quote:

The TiVo Guide works the same way as every other TiVo. The CableCard doesn't give you guide info. If it did, there would be little reason to pay the monthly TiVo service fee.
I would call it not getting what you are paying for and a waste of a digital TiVo, but if it satisfies you, so be it.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #8289
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I would call it not getting what you are paying for and a waste of a digital TiVo, but if it satisfies you, so be it.
Not really, because I could hook an antenna up to the box and get better quality versions of my local stations than is provided by Comcast.

And if I didn't have an HD TV, getting a S3 box would be worth it over any S2 or S1 because of the clock.

S'ok though, you just have a different opinion of "nothing" than I do.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #8290
lpwcomp

Quote:
But if "NOTHING will work" then I wouldn't get my analog channels. CableCards are NOT required to use a TiVo, it will work fine, and CableCards are not the only way to get HD channels.
A CableCARD certainly is the only way to get guide data for a digital cable channel. Obviously not required for analog cable or OTA.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #8291
lpwcomp

Quote:
Not really, because I could hook an antenna up to the box and get better quality versions of my local stations than is provided by Comcast.

And if I didn't have an HD TV, getting a S3 box would be worth it over any S2 or S1 because of the clock.

S'ok though, you just have a different opinion of "nothing" than I do.
I never said nothing. And you could do OTA even with a CableCARD installed.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #8292
jff6791

Online Cable Card Activation

While waiting delivery on a new Premiere Elite I picked up a Motorola M card at my local Comcast office. The guy scanned the bar codes on the card pack and gave me a receipt with the S/N shown added to my account. Should I now see this card S/N along with my other boxes when I go to the online activation page? I"m asking b/c it's not there. Does that mean he didn't activate it and calling up to pair it will be a waste of time? Thanks.
jff6791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #8293
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 View Post
While waiting delivery on a new Premiere Elite I picked up a Motorola M card at my local Comcast office. The guy scanned the bar codes on the card pack and gave me a receipt with the S/N shown added to my account. Should I now see this card S/N along with my other boxes when I go to the online activation page? I"m asking b/c it's not there. Does that mean he didn't activate it and calling up to pair it will be a waste of time? Thanks.
All he did was record the serial number of your card so that when they get it back they make sure they get the same one.

I haven't heard of activating CCs online, so I don't know if that'll work or not; I've always been advised to call the 800 number at the bottom of the receipt
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #8294
Scooter80

Quote:
All he did was record the serial number of your card so that when they get it back they make sure they get the same one.

I haven't heard of activating CCs online, so I don't know if that'll work or not; I've always been advised to call the 800 number at the bottom of the receipt
+1

Call the number. Takes 10-15 minutes if you wait while they ask you to check channels. 5-10 minutes if you have faith it'll work and just tell them thanks after they record the card's info from the gray cablecard screen and they send the "hit".
Scooter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #8295
jff6791

Quote:

So after they activate via phone does the card show up on your device activation list page?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #8296
HerronScott

Where are you finding this device activation list page?

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #8297
jff6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Where are you finding this device activation list page?

Scott
<comcast.com/digitalnow>
Old 01-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #8298
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 View Post
<comcast.com/digitalnow>
My CableCARDs show up as "Digital set top box"es. I don't believe they show up until the pairing is complete. Not sure why they didn't implement online pairing/activation of CableCARDs as they did with DTAs, but they didn't.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #8299
jff6791

Quote:
My CableCARDs show up as "Digital set top box"es. I don't believe they show up until the pairing is complete. Not sure why they didn't implement online pairing/activation of CableCARDs as they did with DTAs, but they didn't.
Yeah - mine showed up today after activation. Took about ten minutes on phone using the 877-405-2298 number I saw previously in this thread. (There was a different 800 number on the TiVo cable card screen that I didn't use). Expected trouble being a w/e but went very smooth. I don't have any premium channels so that prob helped. The guy did need the S/N, Host ID, Cable Card ID, Unit Address and Data numbers so they must not be able to get all that on line.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #8300
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
I just activated a CableCard online about a half hour ago. It was easier than activating my modem--I didn't have to chat with a rep to convince them I didn't need their software.

The online CC activation was pretty painless. Just clicked a button.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #8301
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Just wanted to give an update on my situation in Seattle, WA:

I ordered service over the phone on 1/8 to become active on 1/11. On 1/11, I went to the Comcast service center in Seattle to pick up a card. Finally got my number called, got to a rep, told her, she looked up my account, and told me something that every rep always tells me: "You don't need a card with Limited Basic!". Every time I have to tell them that yes, if I want to recieve the HD versions of the local channels, I need the card. This rep told me that she still wouldn't give me one. I told her that if she refused it would be a violation of the FCC rules. She gave a nervous laugh, which I'm not sure if it meant "Oh geeze I have to deal with a customer that thinks they know our policies better than I do" or "Oh crap this guy actually knows what the heck he's doing". Halfway through the laugh she slid off her stool and slipped in to the manager's office. She appeared a few minutes later with a card in hand and explained to me--as if she was doing me a tremendous favor--that her manager was going to go ahead and "let" her give me one "this time" and that there would be a $2.20 charge. I asked if that was one time or per month. She said it would be per month. I just shurgged it off and said that I'd call Billing and have them remove it because she certainly wasn't going to. She informed me that I could go ahead and call billing. I said "Oh yeah, I'll talk to them...or your manager." She ignored that last bit.

On 1/11 I had my TiVo all set up with a borrowed TV but forgot my remote. I wasn't able to get the remote until 1/14, at which time I activated my internet and CableCard online. The CableCard portion was painless and fast. If there's anyone out there that has a Comcast-approved modem--active or not--I highly advise you visit activate.comcast.com (or .net?) instead of calling them up.

Got my first bill in the mail today, 1/17. I see two charges--a prorated $2.20 monthly charge for a "Digital Converter" and a $5.00 generic charge for a "Digital Remote". The converter was added on the 11th and the remote the 9th. So I called up the Billing department, informing them that I was "being charged for a converter but I don't have one." The rep took a look at my bill, noticed that I had a CableCard and said that it's less than a cable box but still has a monthly charge. I reminded him that the first card is included in the outlet fee. He disagreed, and before I could argue further I got another call that I had to take. Called back and gave the same story to a different rep. He was initially unsure about why I needed the card, but after explaining it, he said that "normally" you get those on 5.1 and shouldn't need the card. I mentioned that the pricing booklet that I got in the mail says "CableCard (first card in device)" is $0.00, so he said he'd check on that charge and asked me to see if I could get channel 5.1. Unsurprising (to me), I can't. So apparently the "repair department" gave him the correct information and he found out that indeed there should be no charge. I asked about the "Digital Remote" charge, and after not seeing it initially, he checked another spot and wasn't sure exactly what that was for; perhaps I was being mailed a remote (note that this charge was added before I ever mentioned CC to any rep). While he was reversing that, the call dropped. Called back and found out that he had taken care of everything and that my bill dropped by $7.

Moral of the story: Yes, you can get a CableCard with "Limited Cable" (AKA "Limited Basic") and no, you shouldn't be charged for it.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #8302
MichaelK

Quote:
I just activated a CableCard online about a half hour ago. It was easier than activating my modem--I didn't have to chat with a rep to convince them I didn't need their software.

The online CC activation was pretty painless. Just clicked a button.

how did you navigate to the page?

I picked up 2 cards yesterday for 2 new boxes. Activated one last night without issue but was too tired to futz with second box so left it for today. I tried the second box today and of course they cant figure it out. initial activation was at 800- 405-2298- i got some channels and she promised the rest would show up within 45 minutes. an hour latter i get nothing so i call the number she gave me in case there are problems. That number is normal comcast number and of course they can't do anything. I call back the activation number and they tell me they are going to transfer me to better tech support- surprise surprise same regular comcast number....

Both regular comcast 'tech support' people want to sent a tech out- like i can't read the frigging numbers off the screen.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #8303
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
I was activating a modem at the same time so it was the only page I could navigate to. There might be something in your account--dig around there and see if you can find anything--and let us know if you do.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #8304
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
I got it by going to http://comcast.com/activate it was printed on the receit for the cablecard.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #8305
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx View Post
I got it by going to http://comcast.com/activate it was printed on the receipt for the cablecard.
^ Good URL, thanks.

Quote:
Both regular comcast 'tech support' people want to sent a tech out- like i can't read the frigging numbers off the screen.
Only the techs can talk to the "addressability office", and this office is about the only one that can actually get things done.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #8306
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

How do you navigate to the page to activate your modem before you've activated your modem??

Is it accessible from within the walled garden?
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #8307
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
How do you navigate to the page to activate your modem before you've activated your modem??
You plug in the modem and open your browser.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #8308
MichaelK

Quote:

Only the techs can talk to the "addressability office", and this office is about the only one that can actually get things done.
it's plain stupid that the people on the phone can't escalate to someone who can speak to the "addressability office".

I actually just brought back the fubar'd card and got a fresh one today. (well my wife did it...) The lady at the office told my wife the fubar'd card wasn't even on my account.

Anyway tired the "fresh" card and viola activated it in about 3 minutes on the first call to the activation number.

(interesting about that url to activate yourself. That's not on my receipt and when i try it says 'unable to contact your system'- so must be only some headends can do that.)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #8309
Soapm

Quote:
I've been having good luck with the center in Cebu. They now know to completely delete the service then add it from scratch. You also get right in with no hold queue.

Strange then just happened, I just changed the drive in my Tivo HD and didn't have to reactivate the cable card. I wonder of Comcast changed something at the head end??? I like that change since I've been having to reformat my drive and reactivate my Tivo about every 2 or 3 weeks.

For some reason I've ben getting 20 minute reboots on my Tivo HD after about 2 weeks of a fresh install no matter what I do.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #8310
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm

Strange then just happened, I just changed the drive in my Tivo HD and didn't have to reactivate the cable card. I wonder of Comcast changed something at the head end??? I like that change since I've been having to reformat my drive and reactivate my Tivo about every 2 or 3 weeks.
Cards don't need to reactivated after changing the drive in a TiVo, though they do need to be re-paired. Pairing allows viewing copy-protected channels. Comcast, in general, only protects Premium, movie and PPV channels. All other channels will still work without re-pairing.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote