TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
donnoh

Lack of Complaints with 20.2

Usually there is a thread with a huge list of gripes about the latest software update.
I'm not seeing that this time around, especially since we have a major release going from 14.9 to 20.2.

We also seem to have an advocate from Tivo watching this forum, which we haven't had before.

It seems to me that Margret from Tivo should be in charge of all future updates as she seems to listen to her customers.
donnoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
lujan

My only complaint is that yesterday my TiVo Premiere (with 20.2) became unresponsive to remote commands (or very very slow). I did a chat session with TiVo after unplugging and rebooting didn't work. They had me do a "Thumbs down, thumbs up, play, play" sequence and it seemed to help afterwards.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
moyekj

List of changes, enhancements, features are being collected in this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481338
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #4
curiousgeorge

There are still things wrong with 20.2 (hate the "deadness" of the backgrounds), but overall it's a large step forward after almost two years of punishing silence, so it's probably a bit of shellshock and not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth.

The single largest problem remaining is the complete omission of Parental Controls from the HDUI. If you want/need them, you are forced to be 100% SDUI, losing pretty much all the reasons to upgrade (except transfer speed).
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
lafos

My only complaint is that I didn't sign up for early rollout, and only one of my four Premieres has it. Want to stream here in TWC-occupied territory.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Charles R

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
We also seem to have an advocate from Tivo watching this forum, which we haven't had before.
There is a difference between reading the Forum and posting in it. Rest assured hardly a post goes by that TiVo isn't aware of.
Charles R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Jstkiddn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafos View Post
My only complaint is that I didn't sign up for early rollout, and only one of my four Premieres has it. Want to stream here in TWC-occupied territory.

Ahhhh! So you had to sign up for the new update? Wonder how long it will be for those of us who didn't?
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
DeWitt

My two updated the first day. Call me very happy with this update so far.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
rainwater

There's not a lot of complaints because there aren't a lot of major issues that came with this release. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any major bugs introduced in 20.2. There are some new minor issues with the HD UI changes but nothing that keeps the TiVo from working.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
timstack8969

No complaints so far just one worry. When pressing TIVO buttton I saw twice now a "Blue Round Circle" for a about 2 seconds. I thought it was going to freeze. Other than that nothing.
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafos View Post
You know you can call Tivo and request 20.2, right? I did it with my 3 Premieres. Had it within 3 days of calling
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
ufo4sale

NO FILTERS in live TV, i'm still looking for an answer to that.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale View Post
NO FILTERS in live TV, i'm still looking for an answer to that.
I posted in the change log thread with a link to the tweet from Tivodesign. They will come back just no eta.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
You know you can call Tivo and request 20.2, right? I did it with my 3 Premieres. Had it within 3 days of calling
If you send a really nice email to Margret she just might add you to the priority list.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
If you send a really nice email to Margret she just might add you to the priority list.
Like I said, I called tech support and had it within 72 hours. Seems priority enough for me.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Only complaint is that I don't have it.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
mrsean

My biggest complaint is that the onscreen clock has been ruined. I still stare at the lower right side of screen wondering what time is it? Yeah, I know there's a clock in the menus, but I spend less than 5 minutes a day looking through the menus.

The speed upgrade is nice, but the lack of fluidity (slow redraws, etc.) between menu screens and also in the new guides is pretty jarring. This makes 20.2 feel more like a beta than major release.

If I were TiVo for the next release, I would just do bug fixes, get rid of new unwanted "features" introduced in 14.9.2.2 and 20.2 plus polish up the interface. After that I'd add more features.
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #18
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
My only complaint is that yesterday my TiVo Premiere (with 20.2) became unresponsive to remote commands (or very very slow). I did a chat session with TiVo after unplugging and rebooting didn't work. They had me do a "Thumbs down, thumbs up, play, play" sequence and it seemed to help afterwards.
when did the update hit your Tivo?
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Diablo View Post
when did the update hit your Tivo?
Monday night (after sending a note to Margaret on Sunday, a week ago) because I saw it on Tuesday evening.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #20
Thunderclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
The speed upgrade is nice, but the lack of fluidity (slow redraws, etc.) between menu screens and also in the new guides is pretty jarring. This makes 20.2 feel more like a beta than major release.
As a TivoHD user I've been waiting for the Premiere to be updated to a usable level. It seems like 20.2 might be there for me. But as a TivoHD user I don't understand what you mean by "lack of fluidity". What do you mean? Do you think this is a deal breaker? Should I hold out a little longer?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #21
Charles R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap View Post
As a TivoHD user I've been waiting for the Premiere to be updated to a usable level.
I found the Premiere usable since day one. With the latest release your viewing experience isn't altered. As a whole it's virtually identical unless you go looking for changes. I have used it for a while and my life or TV habits haven't changed.
Charles R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #22
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap View Post
But as a TivoHD user I don't understand what you mean by "lack of fluidity". What do you mean? Do you think this is a deal breaker? Should I hold out a little longer?
He is talking about the overall speed and feel of the HDUI. If you have never used it, it is hard to describe. Navigating and selecting things, and screen updates are not as fast as the SDUI. There have been many improvements, and I expect there will be more.

Some people are more sensitive to or intolerant of pauses and delays in the user interfaces of devices than other people. I happen to be one of the less tolerant types of people. I have forced myself to start using the HDUI with the 20.2 update and find myself adjusting (where before I simply could not), but still frustrated as a very long-term user of the SDUI. It is certainly packed with more features, and is much nicer looking; but I am a function-over-form type of person.

Like I already said in response to your thread you created, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481760 , it is impossible for someone else to tell you if you should wait or not, because we are not you I can say that up until 14.9 came out, I considered my upgrade from a TiVo HD (series 3) to the Premiere (series 4) to be mostly a waste of money. TiVo's recent changes are starting to change my opinion...
Old 01-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #23
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

spoke with a tech uesterday an she informed me there were no e mailed available for the pending update, just a ploy on Tivo is see if any interest was there
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #24
bobster954

well, my tivo takes much longer to navigate things.
the banner display does not go away quickly, no matter the setting, forcing me to get in the habit of using the clear key.

the update completely wiped out my pre selected channel list that took forever to go through all 900+ channels and deselect those I do not get.

all in all, the interface is nicer though.

don't know anything about streaming, only have one.

there are some odd bugs that bring up the wrong options when you press certain buttons during a display, but you get used to it.

I don't really use it except to records shows, surf channels, pause, watch pre-recorded..that is about it...and just like the other dvrs in the market it works about the same.

really cannot believe they do not allow you to search for a specific channel, but it is nice they allow sort alphabetically to help me find something quicker...
bobster954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #25
jpcamaro70

I don't have it so i'll have to complain about that too. I just sent a very nice email to Margaret, we'll see what happens.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
My biggest complaint is that the onscreen clock has been ruined. I still stare at the lower right side of screen wondering what time is it? Yeah, I know there's a clock in the menus, but I spend less than 5 minutes a day looking through the menus.

If I were TiVo for the next release, I would just do bug fixes, get rid of new unwanted "features" introduced in 14.9.2.2 and 20.2 plus polish up the interface. After that I'd add more features.
Hit the info button and there is your time. The same as it's always been.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #27
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I found the Premiere usable since day one. With the latest release your viewing experience isn't altered. As a whole it's virtually identical unless you go looking for changes. I have used it for a while and my life or TV habits haven't changed.
My habits have changed with v20.2 because of MRS. Now I don't transfer content anymore, I just stream it to the box at the TV I'm watching.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #28
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Part of the reason there are few complaints is because Tivo has participated in the forum this time around. People know they are being heard. I don't know if Margret is here because she wants to be or higher ups are telling her to be but her presence (or Jerry or Pony or any of the other) vets make a big difference.

There was a time when Tivo was one of the few companies who interacted with their users this way. Now it done regularly via Facebook/Twitter but not many companies were doing what Tivo did on an internet forum back in 1999/2000. Not only did they invent the DVR standard, I believe they also invented some social networking standards. They have let both fall to the wayside over the years but I am beginning to have faith they can get it back.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #29
donnoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Part of the reason there are few complaints is because Tivo has participated in the forum this time around. People know they are being heard. I don't know if Margret is here because she wants to be or higher ups are telling her to be but her presence (or Jerry or Pony or any of the other) vets make a big difference.

There was a time when Tivo was one of the few companies who interacted with their users this way. Now it done regularly via Facebook/Twitter but not many companies were doing what Tivo did on an internet forum back in 1999/2000. Not only did they invent the DVR standard, I believe they also invented some social networking standards. They have let both fall to the wayside over the years but I am beginning to have faith they can get it back.
I disagree about the reason there are few complaints. The reason fewer people complain is because there are fewer problems with this release than there have been in the past.
I'm hopeful that Tivo has learned a lesson and that someone has learned that you have to listen to your customers in order to fix it.
donnoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #30
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
I disagree about the reason there are few complaints. The reason fewer people complain is because there are fewer problems with this release than there have been in the past.
I'm hopeful that Tivo has learned a lesson and that someone has learned that you have to listen to your customers in order to fix it.
For me personally, knowing that Tivo is listening makes me not want to make a big deal about the small issues that do exist. They are visible and active and we know they hear the issues. We did not know that before when they never communicated with us.

I have a few small complaints. They are documented in that other thread. In the past, I probably would have made a separate complaint thread about it or at least said something negative about Tivo.

For this release, I know Margret (and I hope others) have paid attention. Margret even went so far to solicit a community change log. At the very least Margret is paying attention. There are many knowledgeable people here and Tivo can learn a lot from them.

I remember years ago when a forum member came up with a solution to fix a daylight savings time issue that Tivo was unable to fix. Tivo gave them a big thanks because their engineers had literally not thought of it. I can't find the thread or I would post it.

I have been a member of this forum for ten years. In my mind, Tivo's participation on this forum is part of my Tivo service.