TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
denise1768

Shows not showing up as "new" after upgrade

Most of my local network shows are not showing "new". it's stating that the original air date is 1/10/12, but today is 1/11 and these shows are indeed new (they were not on yesterday).

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks.
denise1768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
TVCricket
HDUI

Weird. After my update, all my shows, even the ones that I already watched were labeled as "NEW".
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
denise1768

Yeah.. odd.

I looked at tomorrow's shows that all say new, but the original air date is today. So my bet is that tomorrow all those new shows will not show new.

My husband said it recorded an old "Wheelers and Dealers", but failed to record the new one.

grrrr.

Denise
Old 01-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
denise1768

Anybody else?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
andyf

Yes, all the shows that are showing tonight are marked NEW but the first aired date is yesterday.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
denise1768

I'm wondering if this mess up recordings. Last night, all the new shows did not show "new".
Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
andyf

All my shows are recording as scheduled. I don't think it messes with the To-Do List.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
Innerloop

They are not appearing with New tags in the guide, but are tagged as new in My Shows.
Innerloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
denise1768

Still very odd. I'll call them when I get a chance to see why it shows the previous dates air date as well as removing the "new" label on the current date.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

none of the new ABC shows were marked as new in our program guide last night. (Housewives, PanAM).
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
Innerloop

The NEW tags are very buggy. Sometimes just scrolling down and back up to the top of My Shows makes the tags re-appear. And in the Guide, some shows lose their new tags when its close to air time, while others do not.

Cool feature idea, but needs to be debugged a lot to make it reliable.

Fortunately it appears to be the visble tags, not the first-run functionality that is buggy.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
wmhjr

I'm curious if you folks are just seeing (or not seeing) the "new" tag after 20.2 but the "to do list" is OK? meaning that the content will in fact record?

I ask this because I have not gotten 20.2 yet and over the past couple days I've noticed that episodes of a number of different programs for which I have a season pass (first run) are not properly setting them to record. I'm having to go in and check every particular program and manually tell it to "record this episode also".

So the question is really more of is the guide metadata wrong, or is it something else? One example was "Lost Girl" (new show). This weeks episode would not record even though it should. There are a number of others. If this isn 't the same issue, I'll start another thread.
wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post

So the question is really more of is the guide metadata wrong, or is it something else? One example was "Lost Girl" (new show). This weeks episode would not record even though it should. There are a number of others. If this isn 't the same issue, I'll start another thread.
You need to set new & repeats for some shows that air elsewhere before airing in America.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
Innerloop

Maybe its a time-zone thing. Is everyone seeing this problem, or just folks on the West Coast?

I noticed that in the guide, shows that appear without NEW tags say that the "original air date" was a day EARLIER than the current date. Not sure how that would be a time-zone thing, but just grasping at straws.

Either way, a fix would be nice.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
You need to set new & repeats for some shows that air elsewhere before airing in America.
What? Are you kidding me? The guide shows they are first run. Zap2it shows they are first run. The series is brand new - never been seen before.

Beyond that, are we Tivo users supposed to somehow research where in the world a specific episode may possibly have been run before in order to decide how to configure season passes? What exactly then is the use of the "first run" setting? What about the fact that even futoncritic, which has no concept of where in the country I am but it shows an episode of first run?

This issue is still going on. For some reason, the new series "Lost Girl" seems to be uncommonly vulnerable more than others. I've never seen this consistent failure in this manner before, but at this point it's happened frequently enough that I no longer trust my season passes and have to manually check every single days recordings in advance because the Tivo is not properly recording content.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerloop View Post
Maybe its a time-zone thing. Is everyone seeing this problem, or just folks on the West Coast?

I noticed that in the guide, shows that appear without NEW tags say that the "original air date" was a day EARLIER than the current date. Not sure how that would be a time-zone thing, but just grasping at straws.

Either way, a fix would be nice.
I'm in the east. No, it's not a time zone thing.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #17
cherry ghost

Quote:
What? Are you kidding me? The guide shows they are first run. Zap2it shows they are first run. The series is brand new - never been seen before.

Beyond that, are we Tivo users supposed to somehow research where in the world a specific episode may possibly have been run before in order to decide how to configure season passes? What exactly then is the use of the "first run" setting? What about the fact that even futoncritic, which has no concept of where in the country I am but it shows an episode of first run?

This issue is still going on. For some reason, the new series "Lost Girl" seems to be uncommonly vulnerable more than others. I've never seen this consistent failure in this manner before, but at this point it's happened frequently enough that I no longer trust my season passes and have to manually check every single days recordings in advance because the Tivo is not properly recording content.

What does your Guide say after "First Aired" for the next episode of "Lost Girl"?

Check the "First Aired' on Zap2it

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/lost...des/EP01304253
Old 02-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
What does your Guide say after "First Aired" for the next episode of "Lost Girl"?

Check the "First Aired' on Zap2it

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/lost...des/EP01304253
Sorry, I totally disagree with you. What my Tivo guide says is that it is not a repeat. There is no "R" for repeat for the first airing of each episode. There IS an "R" for subsequent viewings of those episodes. It is a new series, never before having been seen in this country - and if you did not research the actual show, you would assume that it has never been seen anywhere. Furthermore, on Futoncritic, it shows as new episodes - and NOT as previously aired.

The value of the Tivo service is that you DON'T have to heavily research to determine this stuff. If you're creating a season pass and don't want repeats, then select "First Run". It's that easy. It has previously always worked that way. For several new shows, it has not worked that way.

If viewers need to go and research "First Aired" dates on Zap2it rather than looking for new episodes, the value of Tivo has been significantly reduced. For the record, the Verizon Fios Motorola HD DVR did NOT have a problem recording the same content. As crazy as it sounds, it seems as though the Tivo logic is at least in this case inferior to the Verizon/Moto logic.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/lost-girl/
Old 02-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #19
cherry ghost

Quote:
Sorry, I totally disagree with you. What my Tivo guide says is that it is not a repeat. There is no "R" for repeat for the first airing of each episode. There IS an "R" for subsequent viewings of those episodes. It is a new series, never before having been seen in this country - and if you did not research the actual show, you would assume that it has never been seen anywhere. Furthermore, on Futoncritic, it shows as new episodes - and NOT as previously aired.

The value of the Tivo service is that you DON'T have to heavily research to determine this stuff. If you're creating a season pass and don't want repeats, then select "First Run". It's that easy. It has previously always worked that way. For several new shows, it has not worked that way.

If viewers need to go and research "First Aired" dates on Zap2it rather than looking for new episodes, the value of Tivo has been significantly reduced. For the record, the Verizon Fios Motorola HD DVR did NOT have a problem recording the same content. As crazy as it sounds, it seems as though the Tivo logic is at least in this case inferior to the Verizon/Moto logic.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/lost-girl/

What are you disagreeing with? I didn't say it was right, just explaining why.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
Sorry, I totally disagree with you. What my Tivo guide says is that it is not a repeat. There is no "R" for repeat for the first airing of each episode. There IS an "R" for subsequent viewings of those episodes.
Tivos do not, and never have, use[d] the HUMAN READABLE text in the program descriptions.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #21
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Tivos do not, and never have, use[d] the HUMAN READABLE text in the program descriptions.
This. Original Air Date is the metadata that is used. If it exists, it uses the 28 day rule. If it doesn't, it will record it to be safe.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
wmhjr

I guess you guys (or at least mattack) are just totally missing the point. Let me make it more clear.

I didn't say that Tivos ever used the "human readable text" in the program descriptions. I don't care if they do, or if they do not.

What I DO care about is if they properly record NEW episodes of a NEW series as a result of a season pass. If Tivo expects a US customer to have to research every single new series and season, digging in to determine if that series may have been shown once before in Madagascar in order to be able to reliably ONLY the new episodes (a core element of functionality in the Tivo as advertised and since its very inception) then the Tivo is (for core functionality) demonstrably inferior to the common Motorola HD DVR, which does not require such user interaction in order to effectively accomplish the same exact result.

The fact that over the course of years, this has never popped up for me before now gives me the IMPRESSION that this is new behavior. What is fact is that one of three possible situations exist.

1) There has never been a new series/episode in the past 5-6 years that I've tried to record via Season pass that has ever ever been shown in another country before so I've never stumbled on this defect before.

2) There HAVE been new series/episodes in the past 5-6 years that I've intended to record via season pass, but I simply didn't notice it.

3) This is new behavior.

I can not accept option 2, as I simply don't believe I could have missed this. Very very unlikely. Options 1 and 3 are certainly possible. In either case, this is a defective implementation in terms of the use cases.

The reason that this is factually a defect is obvious. In order to make sure a user accounts for this, it requires the user to research every single series and episode online, looking for metadata such as "First Aired" in order to properly set the season passes. This behavior is unnecessary using just a normal (less expensive to the user) Motorola (and I believe also SA but I cannot absolutely make that statement at this moment) unit. It goes to core reliability and dependability of the Tivo. Because of this situation, I'm now forced to go and research all my season passes - especially for the new content that is expected to premiere next week and after. That is a waste of my time. It IMHO significantly decreases the value of the Tivo, and in particular it undermines the increased rates for "service" charged by Tivo. JMHO.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #23
cherry ghost

Quote:
I guess you guys (or at least mattack) are just totally missing the point. Let me make it more clear.

I didn't say that Tivos ever used the "human readable text" in the program descriptions. I don't care if they do, or if they do not.

What I DO care about is if they properly record NEW episodes of a NEW series as a result of a season pass. If Tivo expects a US customer to have to research every single new series and season, digging in to determine if that series may have been shown once before in Madagascar in order to be able to reliably ONLY the new episodes (a core element of functionality in the Tivo as advertised and since its very inception) then the Tivo is (for core functionality) demonstrably inferior to the common Motorola HD DVR, which does not require such user interaction in order to effectively accomplish the same exact result.

The fact that over the course of years, this has never popped up for me before now gives me the IMPRESSION that this is new behavior. What is fact is that one of three possible situations exist.

1) There has never been a new series/episode in the past 5-6 years that I've tried to record via Season pass that has ever ever been shown in another country before so I've never stumbled on this defect before.

2) There HAVE been new series/episodes in the past 5-6 years that I've intended to record via season pass, but I simply didn't notice it.

3) This is new behavior.

I can not accept option 2, as I simply don't believe I could have missed this. Very very unlikely. Options 1 and 3 are certainly possible. In either case, this is a defective implementation in terms of the use cases.

The reason that this is factually a defect is obvious. In order to make sure a user accounts for this, it requires the user to research every single series and episode online, looking for metadata such as "First Aired" in order to properly set the season passes. This behavior is unnecessary using just a normal (less expensive to the user) Motorola (and I believe also SA but I cannot absolutely make that statement at this moment) unit. It goes to core reliability and dependability of the Tivo. Because of this situation, I'm now forced to go and research all my season passes - especially for the new content that is expected to premiere next week and after. That is a waste of my time. It IMHO significantly decreases the value of the Tivo, and in particular it undermines the increased rates for "service" charged by Tivo. JMHO.
here's another thread on the subject

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=461905
Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #24
rainwater

Quote:

What I DO care about is if they properly record NEW episodes of a NEW series as a result of a season pass.
That is not what the original post is about which is a display bug in 20.2. That issue in know way affects whether a program records or not.

What you are referring to has happened a few times over the years. Other than programs on BBC America, I don't think it has happened more than a few times ever. The only US based program it happened with was Friday Night Lights. This was because it aired on Directv first and the original air dates were outside 28 days. It wasn't just TiVo users it affected. Most cable company DVRs had issues with it as well. The TiVo is only as good as the guide data. If Tribune says it originally aired a year ago, I don't see how you expect Tivo to consider it new.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #25
wmhjr

Yeah, thanks. That didn't pop up on my first search on the problem before I wrote the post. However I did find it since.

I've also since played with it a bit more, and frankly I'm even more unhappy about it. I took the show "Lost Girl" as an example to play with it some more. I changed it from "First Run" to "Repeats and First Run" and now I've obviously got repeats. Not knowing how they're going to run repeat episodes, it will certainly consume valuable space that it should not, which is less of an issue on my Elite but far more problematic on my bone stock HD.

Since Tivo doesn't talk about this or even acknowledge it, are they now expecting us to research every title we want to record?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
rainwater

Quote:
Since Tivo doesn't talk about this or even acknowledge it, are they now expecting us to research every title we want to record?
Considering there are probably about 5 shows all time that have had this issue in the last 10 years, I don't see how it is that big of an issue.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #27
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
That is not what the original post is about which is a display bug in 20.2. That issue in know way affects whether a program records or not.

What you are referring to has happened a few times over the years. Other than programs on BBC America, I don't think it has happened more than a few times ever. The only US based program it happened with was Friday Night Lights. This was because it aired on Directv first and the original air dates were outside 28 days. It wasn't just TiVo users it affected. Most cable company DVRs had issues with it as well. The TiVo is only as good as the guide data. If Tribune says it originally aired a year ago, I don't see how you expect Tivo to consider it new.
I agree now that it wasn't part of the original post - which is why I asked the question in my first post. I wasn't sure if it was related or not. But for the rest....

Umm.... Wrong. Perhaps you didn't fully read my post.

I currently have in my home a free Verizon Fios Motorola HD DVR. It properly records Lost Girl. I'm assuming it's using the same guide data. I can expect the UI to properly discriminate. That is the core of Tivo functionality. It does not get any more basic than that. It's one of the advantages of having an Elite, two HDs, a VZ Moto HD DVR (free) and a VZ Moto HD STB (free). In instances such as this, it's very easy for me to determine whether the issue Tivo specific or not. I have in the past been able to report to Tivo titles/episodes that the guide data reported by Tivo was incorrect, and Tivo recorded the wrong content however the VZ box did not. To be very honest, over the course of the past 2 yrs, while the Tivo boxes are obviously far more intuitive and nicer to use, they have also been significantly less reliable in terms of recording the right content. We're not talking about huge high percentages of errors (probably about 20 shows in 2 yrs) but the Moto box has a zero percent defect rate at last to date. It can't hold as much obviously, and it's a clunky UI, and it's not as granular. But it sure works - and the whole house streaming HD works absolutely perfectly. AND you can even delete content from the DVR while using your STB remotely. AND you can use the remote box to have the DVR add content to the recording schedule.

Just making the point that this stuff is not impossible to do, and as has never before happened that I know of, Tivo is starting to lag behind the cablecos in terms of even feature/function.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #28
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Considering there are probably about 5 shows all time that have had this issue in the last 10 years, I don't see how it is that big of an issue.
I don't know how many there were. There are 2 right now. I don't care if there are 2 now or 20 now. The fact that they exist, and that there is no way to learn of the issue other than either:

1) Research every show

2) Miss recordings, and then find out after the fact

Creates a critical defect IMHO. If you can explain away how to avoid this issue without doing one of the above, let me know. Perhaps the solution is FCC regulations to force advertisements and descriptions to clearly up front tell us that the show has aired elsewhere before... (please note sarcasm and not serious).
Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #29
Heron

I've been having the same problems, on multiple shows since the software update. Last week it did not record a new episode of 30 Rock, which it said had first aired the day before. Tonight it was Shipping Wars, which it again said first aired yesterday. I've noticed it on several other new programs, always listed as having first aired the day before. I was a TiVo early adopter and have never seen this before. It may have been only 5 shows in the past, but it is many shows now.
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #30
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
I've been having the same problems, on multiple shows since the software update. Last week it did not record a new episode of 30 Rock, which it said had first aired the day before. Tonight it was Shipping Wars, which it again said first aired yesterday. I've noticed it on several other new programs, always listed as having first aired the day before. I was a TiVo early adopter and have never seen this before. It may have been only 5 shows in the past, but it is many shows now.
What does the Recording History say as to why it wasn't recorded?